Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I can't find the post but not that long ago the sagas thread remembered that there was an Ask Me Anything thread by a former World of Darkness vampire serial roleplay addict - offline, but similar kind of heavy plotlines and things - and it was both incredibly enlightening and terrifying. She just barely managed to get out before it was too late, by all accounts.

But it basically described the atmosphere Bifauxnen talked about - FOMO, an all-consuming hobby. And this was from quite a few years ago so when I was reading it I thought "well, surely now RP like this has better safeguards now that people are aware of the issue, right?"

Apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

HopperUK posted:

This makes total sense to me. I remember from MU* days how 'rockstar' writers and plotters could get away with all kinds of poo poo. I'm really sick this happened so recently.

For folk asking, no, this isn't normal for this kind of game. It *used* to be unremarkable because power-tripping assholes will use any opportunity to be overbearing and creepy. But in the modern day there are widely known, agreed-upon safety guidelines and nothing like this should ever happen. As I posted back sometime last night, the correct thing to happen in any roleplaying game, voice or in person or text based, is that if someone is uncomfortable they can indicate that somehow (sometimes there's a card with an X on it to point to, or a private channel to type 'X' into or whatever) and the plot *immediately changes*. Whatever was making them uneasy is instantly dropped. Sometimes that might mean a break in the game because oh poo poo, I didn't know Player had trauma relating to fires, I will have to rewrite this plot without fires now. Either way though nobody has to justify why they're asking for a halt, nobody should be made to feel like they can't or told 'just trust me' or rolled over.

And of course if you are running a game with darker themes you have to make it explicitly clear upfront what those themes will be so people can dip out earlier.

There was a bit of a scandal a while back in one of the big actual plays, Critical Role maybe? Where someone's character was put in a sexual situation and they were unhappy about it and the DM lost his position because of it. I can't remember who it was or even what game it was in.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/6/21207309/rollplay-far-verona-sexual-assault-lets-play-season-2-canceled

I think you might be referring to this, though it's almost certain that this type of poo poo has happened more than once. Was surprised to learn the DM in trouble was the guy who created Dungeon World.