Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 30 days!)

the airship thing is just kind of meh cause its like saying cars might be turned into giant tanks and used in war, so maybe shouldn't make the wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

the airship thing is just kind of meh cause its like saying cars might be turned into giant tanks and used in war, so maybe shouldn't make the wheel

Flight was a massive game changer in war and still is to this day. You can't really compare it to the wheel. It can be incredibly useful for non-war purposes too of course but again Mid lived in a land where people had access to incarnate gods who could control the elements and they used it to murder each other in horrifying numbers, and without magic flight is basically the closest you get to Eikons in terms of war disparity. Considering they were going into a time of scarce resources and massive upheaval, it is justifiable to be a bit scared at the idea of replacing one weapon of mass destruction with another.

poo poo. this isn't even exclusive to FF16. The country with airships when nobody else has them usually has a huge advantage. It's why the Red Wings were so terrifying in FF4 and why Garleans were able to get as far as they did in FF14.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

BrianWilly posted:

So I'm still not finished with the game yet despite being at the literal doorstep of the final mission (Baldur's Gate sucked up 90% of my free time) but I just got to the part where Mid decided not to build the airship for which she had me scrounging for parts all game because it would :airquote: cause wars :airquote: or whatever and I wanted to throw her off the loving balcony :buddy:

If it helps, Clive pretty obviously also wants to do that! Her arguments are stupid - there will literally never be a better time politically given that all the nation-states are collapsing into desperate survival mode and they've just, if you've finished other side quests, concluded a treaty of mutual aid, and people will desperately need it.

The degree to which every member of the Hideaway is sick of Mid's poo poo relatively early on and basically just has to put up with her because she makes their water purification system is kind of funny. What an unintentionally unlikable character.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

If it helps, Clive pretty obviously also wants to do that! Her arguments are stupid - there will literally never be a better time politically given that all the nation-states are collapsing into desperate survival mode and they've just, if you've finished other side quests, concluded a treaty of mutual aid, and people will desperately need it.

The degree to which every member of the Hideaway is sick of Mid's poo poo relatively early on and basically just has to put up with her because she makes their water purification system is kind of funny. What an unintentionally unlikable character.

Literally everyone in the Hideaway has nothing but positive comments about the character. She's literally referred to being 'the best of us.'

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

ImpAtom posted:

Literally everyone in the Hideaway has nothing but positive comments about the character. She's literally referred to being 'the best of us.'

Every time she demands they do something for one of her pet projects everyone she ropes into it is some variation of "gently caress, can we get this over with and get back to important things?" It's also funny because her projects are only relevant for like one event, the creation of her ship, which it turns out they probably didn't even actually need because Barnabas' entire endgame is getting killed by Clive so he just needed to keep Jill alive as bait either way. Her gadgets are almost wholly irrelevant beyond the water purification - though of course Clive wouldn't know that.

EDIT: And of course the game knows Mid is a flake; it's an explicit part of her characterization that she's flighty, mercurial and avoidant. Which is afterwards you get a note where she goes "oh you probably thought I was just being a flake about destroying my engines but I really mean it this time."

BrianWilly posted:

The thing that annoyed me about Mid's finale is that I'm at the part of the game where everyone is saying magic is really bad actually and will get everyone killed, and now they're also saying technology is also really bad and will also get everyone killed, so I'm just like...Okay?? The gently caress you want everyone to do then, Final Fantasy XVI? Live in caves and poo poo in rivers? :catstare:

Yup, basically! FF16 ended up really weirdly anprim "back to subsistence" and I don't think it meant to do it at all.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

Every time she demands they do something for one of her pet projects everyone she ropes into it is some variation of "gently caress, can we get this over with and get back to important things?"

Her pet projects are literally the important stuff. They get annoyed because she's eccentric and doesn't explain things but the tasks she asks people to do are for actual meaningful things.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ImpAtom posted:

Her pet projects are literally the important stuff. They get annoyed because she's eccentric and doesn't explain things but the tasks she asks people to do are for actual meaningful things.

Plus, the people getting roped into the quests to help her are usually the ones who are grumpy by default. They're pissy at anyone asking them stuff because they're just grumpy old men. It's nothing to do with her specifically.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
A full month without a post. Wow.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

nothing else to discuss!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Until the DLC! Looking forward to that.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vitamean posted:

nothing else to discuss!

I think we could spent another 10 pages or so on whether Clive died at the end or not

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 7, 2023

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I think we could spent another 10 pages or so on whether Clive died at the end or not

He's still alive, for now, just busy taking a vacation over in Eorzea for the upcoming crossover event.

Unfortunately he will be trampled to death by an army of bunnygirls, catgirls and male catgirls hungry for his Cliveage and tight leather jorts.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I started playing again with the goal of getting platinum. It’s a fun game!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Badger of Basra posted:

Please put this in spoilers.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 7, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Clive died, Jill cried.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The consensus seems to be that FF16 was alright but theres not much to talk about is there? It feels like it was made in a hurry so they could get it out before FF7R part 2. It didn't live up to the expectations set by FF7R part 1 either.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 7, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

The consensus seems to be that FF16 was alright but theres not much to talk about is there? It feels like it was made in a hurry so they could get it out before FF7R part 2. It didn't live up to the expectations set by FF7R part 1 either.

I mean there's a fair bit to talk about but people talked about it. We know DLC is coming and I imagine the final PC version is going to have some updates so we'll probably talk about it more then.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

It's a single-player game and everyone on this board that was able to play it and was going to play it already did, and talked about it afterwards. :shrug:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

For an action game (with little to no rpg stuff) the discussion died fairly quickly which was a bummer. People still talk about their favorite action games in other threads because the best ones are very replayable.

I hope the dlc improves Clive's moveset and also tweaks the Arcade mode.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Nothing about it felt like it was made in a hurry. The production values are top notch and the combat system is rad.

I guess they didn't get the frame rates right though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

For an action game (with little to no rpg stuff) the discussion died fairly quickly which was a bummer. People still talk about their favorite action games in other threads because the best ones are very replayable.

I hope the dlc improves Clive's moveset and also tweaks the Arcade mode.

If you're seeking validation there's always gen-chat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

clive's moveset rules, the issue is the game gives you very little reason or time to explore it on a normal first playthrough

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I have also issues with how they implemented Arcade Mode. It takes 2 full playthroughs to unlock all levels on FF mode and Ultimaniac (I really don't feel like doing this because the story has a lot of filler but at the same time the game expects you to do a lot of the side stuff again to get the good NG+ gear, some of which can be used in Arcade Mode).

Also the difficulty in Ultimaniac mode in general feels pretty good but it has no checkpoints and this sucks the fun out of it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WaltherFeng posted:

They spent like 7 years on it and they only announced a release date when they were confident it was done so I don't think you can call it rushed.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I dont want to know how much they spent on Cyberpunk and people still called it rushed for a good reason.

Just the framerate issues alone make me think they didnt have the time to optimize the engine I'm pretty sure they absolutely had to get the game out before 7R for some dumb reason

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 7, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Team just couldn't compare to Nomura. Tough to blame them though, was inevitable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont want to know how much they spent on Cyberpunk and people still called it rushed for a good reason.

Just the framerate issues alone make me think they didnt have the time to optimize the engine I'm pretty sure they absolutely had to get the game out before 7R for some dumb reason

It was always going to come out before 7R, it's a game designed to expand the audience so that 7R (the game with a budget 3 times larger) sells a ton.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It was always going to come out before 7R, it's a game designed to expand the audience so that 7R (the game with a budget 3 times larger) sells a ton.

That seems a little presumptuous when we don't know the budget of either game. Or like...most games in general.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

That seems a little presumptuous when we don't know the budget of either game. Or like...most games in general.

The budget of Remake 1 was rumored to be 200 million.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The budget of Remake 1 was rumored to be 200 million.

Right, rumored. Like I said we don't actually know, and it's not easy to find public information like movie budgets. Googling "FF7R budget" right now got me like eight different figures from eight different articles.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the Theatrhythm charts for XVI were a mixed bag. To Sail Forbidden Seas in particular is one of the sloppiest Ultimate-level charts in the game, I decided to muddle through Supreme just so I could play something with a beat

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Team just couldn't compare to Nomura. Tough to blame them though, was inevitable.

Nomura's career has been uneven. 7R broadly came together (though it didn't fully land for me). We'll see how the rest of the games in the series go.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

It's a single-player game and everyone on this board that was able to play it and was going to play it already did, and talked about it afterwards. :shrug:

People say that, and yet we somehow still see people coming into threads playing a game for the first time. Most people who want to play Final Fantasy XVI on these forums have probably already played it, but it’s absurd to say everyone has done so, especially when the game has been out for about half a year and the thread title still has “No spoilers!”

I think there isn’t much to talk about because the RPG elements are light, the game doesn’t push players to strategize on a first play through and people are waiting for DLC. Hopefully later dlc will add more options to discuss. I enjoyed the game a lot based on the strength of its characters, even though modern Final Fantasy is only sort of adjacent to my preferred aesthetic. But I do think it’s a game that doesn’t leave lots of room for discussion because the plot plays it safe (except for the controversial ending) and the game play is satisfying, but neither the combat nor the rpg systems leave much room for complicated decision making.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hi! I got the game a few weeks after release because so many people were hyping it up (after I really hated 15 and was lukewarm at best on 7R, and didn't feel the marketing for 16, I was hesitant), and was really pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I played it for and with my wife watching - we do that for a lot of games - and she probably enjoyed it more than myself, she's super into Clive (and Cid and Gav and most other characters), while I like doing cool poo poo and trying new builds in the combat system. I started reading the thread from the start when we finished, and while I worked my way through it, she actually suggested an immediate replay on Final Fantasy difficulty, that's how much she liked it. I'm game, so we're back up to the events before Twinside. I forgot the last Chronolith (Ramuh's) before starting NG+, and while I could just go back and do that in the original save, I'll just do them all again, and all sidequests, because I'm gonna plat it along the way (so I need the AP rewards, and all the mementos).

I noticed when reading the thread that there's the expected divisive opinions on the game; some I simply disagree with, but for others, I gotta say it's fair. On the first playthrough we didn't really mind the sidequest dialogues too much, for example, but now we're skipping them all and yeah, if you strip the quests down to just gameplay, there's a lot of just walking fighting collecting. I mean, that was obvious, but now you don't even get some lore as reward, we know all that already. I immediately noticed how incredibly shallow the upgrade system is, though I did like how I could choose to do a difficult hunt or two earlier so I could get a better bracer quicker, which also meant I could skip a "normal" upgrade step, so it would end up being more efficient in the end.

Ultimately, I'd say the game has clear weaknesses which are mostly due to a very streamlined design, but that very focus is also its biggest strength. I do like the combat system a lot, which forgives a lot of weaknesses - Raging Fists countering will never get old - and the setpieces it guides you towards are insane. Also, I usually don't care too much about writing or characters, but yeah they really nailed Clive and most of the supporting cast including NPCs (gently caress you Gaute you useless moron tho, Otto should drown you).

Really happy about the reveal in the last few pages here that DLCs are in the works. Will gladly get them and play them with my wife, we're both open for any content, let's see!

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I just beat the game tonight. Didn't like it. The story was bad and the storytelling made it worse. An example of that is when Dion starts destroying Twinside and killing a bunch of people for no reason. It is only after the Bahamut fight do we find out that he was manipulated by Ultima. Up until then, it's an uncharacteristic moment for him that doesn't make me intrigued as to what changed in him, but made me think that I missed something Speaking of Bahamut Jill just complete sat it out with no explanation as to why. They really did Jill dirty in this game.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

theCalamity posted:

I just beat the game tonight. Didn't like it. The story was bad and the storytelling made it worse. An example of that is when Dion starts destroying Twinside and killing a bunch of people for no reason. It is only after the Bahamut fight do we find out that he was manipulated by Ultima. Up until then, it's an uncharacteristic moment for him that doesn't make me intrigued as to what changed in him, but made me think that I missed something Speaking of Bahamut Jill just complete sat it out with no explanation as to why. They really did Jill dirty in this game.

WRT Jill: It's because Priming takes a toll on the Dominant. It's hard to tell since her outfits cover pretty much everything from the neck down, but it's pretty strongly implied that she's suffering from a fair degree of the Crystal's Curse. Not as bad as Cid's or Joshua's cases, but still pretty rough for her. Plus, someone needed to keep an eye on Mother of the Year to make sure she didn't try to pull anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theCalamity posted:

I'm not entirely clear what you mean there. The game literally had two previous examples of "Dominants who are emotionally compromised go absolutely batshit out of control" and uh, Dion just killed his own dad. He wasn't manipulated by Ultima, he (like Benedikta and Hugo before him) was absolutely out of his mind. Only difference is that he survived it.

As far as Jill Jill's entire thing is that she was used as a weapon so much that she's on the verge of turning into sand. Everyone around Clive is near-constantly telling him "don't let her prime or it will be bad" because she's on the verge of a bad ending. She only does it in the Odin fight because it was the only way to keep Clive from dying.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 25, 2023

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not entirely clear what you mean there. The game literally had two previous examples of "Dominants who are emotionally compromised go absolutely batshit out of control" and uh, Dion just killed his own dad. He wasn't manipulated by Ultima, he (like Benedikta and Hugo before him) was absolutely out of his mind. Only difference is that he survived it.
My issue is that the explanation came after the change with no hint that it was emotional distress. Dion goes from being worried about civilian casualties to needlessly slaughtering them pretty fast with no immediate explanation or setup for it. It just suddenly happens and is only explained after Bahamut is defeated. Either it should've been properly set up or move the scene where Dion accidentally kills his father after he asks his boyfriend if he's doing the right thing

the_steve posted:

WRT Jill: It's because Priming takes a toll on the Dominant. It's hard to tell since her outfits cover pretty much everything from the neck down, but it's pretty strongly implied that she's suffering from a fair degree of the Crystal's Curse. Not as bad as Cid's or Joshua's cases, but still pretty rough for her. Plus, someone needed to keep an eye on Mother of the Year to make sure she didn't try to pull anything.

I don't think it's a good explanation when Cid and Joshua are further along but still primed. Things were getting dire for Clive and Joshua and Jill just stood by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the game's treatment of jill became inexcusable for me in the next arc, where she primes again only to get taken down in a single swing by Worst Character barnabas. it really threw into relief how ineffectual she is throughout the game - even in her own arc, her biggest contribution was creating an ice wall for a boss fight arena