Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah Levi's the most obvious missing classic elemental eikon in this game (maybe Alexander too I guess) and water vs fire is natural big bad stuff. Maybe he's got something to do with Valisthea's outer seas being untraversible if I remembered an old interview correctly.

I wonder, with the reveal that basically 90% of the story scenes in the trailers are from the demo chapter, how coy they have been about how much of the setting we'll see in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am looking forward to this energy showing up here in the sidequest titles and journal entries

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I wonder if Carbuncle will be here...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

My own wild speculation on top of this: the emperor is trying to make an artificial Eikon from Fallen technology which he dubs Alexander.

That's right, it'll be an Attack on Titan vs Gundam crossover.

The Legacy of the Crystals...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess you could replay chapters in FF7R too, but it's kinda neat how the DMC-style level structure dovetails with the repeatable dungeon design this team has a lot of experience with from FF14

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sir Biggs Tyler and Sir Wedge Wade

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How many archaisms are we gonna hear like in FF14... anyone going to be "in their cups"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

They confirmed a lot of elements in the battle are pre-rendered, including the distant armies. They did a great job mixing them in though, yeah.

Going back to their roots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naV0q2fWq2Q&t=168s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There is literally no shortage of turn-based RPGs. Square itself, alone, has released multiple turn-based RPGs in the past 12 months!

It's just that the big cinematic mainline series game with the hundreds of millions of development budget is unlikely to be one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Isn't multilingual lip sync in games basically a solved problem? A bit pricey, but doable?
I think in one of the interviews they said they tried AI lip sync but while it would change the lip movements, the rest of the face would not match well, and it looked bad without a lot of manual intervention so they didn't move forward with it.

RatHat posted:

Ghost of Tsushima used AI generated lip sync for the Japanese dub and it was pretty awful, so maybe not
Yeah probably something like this lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk also did the "script was primarily written in English" workflow

Edit: actually it was originally written in Polish and then translated into English, but the English was the primary voice language, so kinda similar

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 18, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it has but both Ring and 16 directly point to it and it did bring that stuff back from the more marketable kid friendly medieval fantasy

This does have me wondering what the 8-year-old me who was completely enthralled by FF4 would think about this somewhat grimdark opening lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1670074646966968321?t=E9D0wSKcnrdvC6JaW7cXMw&s=19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ah, Kingdom Hearts 4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I AM A BIG loving MORON AND I JUST WANT TO PLAY FINAL FANTASY XVI

I am traveling for up to a month starting on June 23, and I think 1. how unfortunate the timing, and 2. the slightly elevated chance that I could die or be incapacitated before getting to play FFXVI lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought directly applying vacuum to electronics is bad and that's why you use compressed air to blow instead of suck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There are always crystals (with a Legacy)
There are almost always summons
There is almost always an evil empire
There is almost always a precursor civilization
And as Yoship has said himself "if you don't put chocobos and moogles in the game the fans will kill you"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Terper posted:

People like to speculate that it means the publisher has low confidence in the title or whatever, but

Tears of the Kingdom had pretty much the same exact embargo time

Generally it's just better for the reviews to come out a bit later because then your Average Jill who hears about a game reviewing well and looks it up goes "Oh, it's out now/in a few hours? Cool!" and picks it up, instead of like a week before and their interest or money situation has time to change

Yeah probably better concentrate everything in the weeks running up to the release, I remember people were posting "wow there hasn't been much marketing for this game, is it dead" and it turns out they saved all the giant murals, arena livestreams, and partnerships with the UK government for the last week lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yes, the embargo is tomorrow at 16:00 CEST. It's also 100% standard for games to have embargoes, it doesn't signify anything. And for what it's worth, Square sent out review copies WELL in advance to give reviewers plenty of time to play the game. This isn't them trying to sneak a turd past the keeper.

Yeah this seems better than, like Bethesda's policy of withholding advance copies to reviewers but not to friendly influencers and sponcon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh that reminds me that the thing that has always tied the franchise together for me has been the music lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23JJCCidDXM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkoahLVuKnM

ff13 really dropping the ball for a mainline imo

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 20, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mean Baby posted:

The battle theme for XIII is top tier.

Also the chocobo theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDwAN90MKTo

The victory fanfare is confirmed in XVI but I dunno if there's a place for the jaunty chocotheme...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ghost of Tsushima got one too...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

When you say basic is it like the FF7 Remake a bit where the sidequests generally consist of walking around the environment, getting a bit of dialogue, sometimes killing some stuff? Cause I think I'm fine with that, it's just good to get general expectations set.

I suppose that is describing sidequests in most games ultimately, I guess I mean, they won't take you to bespoke new content or sections of the game you otherwise wouldn't see, for example?

I mean, CDPR has done pretty interesting things with their sidequests in Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk. Initial things that seem like simple fetch quests flipping over and revealing a whole chain of other stuff, things that feature NPCs with a lot of their own story and and which interlink with other side characters' stories, things that make use of minigames in interesting ways.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Two obvious things that I completely missed while playing the demo:

You can weave magic bursts in between every hit of a combo and not just the last;

And there is a lock on button lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I keep accidentally using all my potions because I'm spamming buttons when I think I'm in torgal mode lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

runaway dog posted:

lol I keep trying to tell my friend who is currently whining about his amazon copy not coming for another 3 hours that the demo is 3 hours long and saves transfer

I was surprised about how seamless it was, I accidentally buttoned through the notice for it and then it was like "yeah just hit continue and jump back in where you left off"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. That is the entire system. Even the best weapon in the game is like that.

Kinda makes sense to me both from an FF14 "gear ilvl is simply linear progression" and clover/platinum "ability customization is the important thing" perspective

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

JBP posted:

Nah I needed a monster mane for +2 and not to +1 a bought weapon. Making the weapon at the blacksmith at +1 cost me the mane, so I didn't have it for +2.

Until/unless the game opens up I am just spending minimal time with the gear stuff because I am assuming everything is basically obsolete after every quest chain. I'm there to read the flavor text mostly lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just got to Martha's Rest. How many hours would you say it is before the next "chapter break"? I have a chunk of time to play this and then I will have to put it down for a month so I'm hoping to end at a spot that makes sense (thanks in advance to Active Time Lore lol)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am going to continue only getting parries by accident when mashing out combos, i still repeatedly dodge laughably early or late for the huge telegraphed attacks lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought there was another thread to discuss story spoilers?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I’ve played like 4 hours of game, why would I go to the spoiler thread for literally anything

Sorry, your post was clearly marked in terms of timetable, just getting confused by other posts where the entire post is blacked out or they're using vague markers, already clicked on something by accident that i kinda regret, also people not necessarily agreeing on how to number the eikon fights lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao I cannot seem to get this combat timing down at all, facing these big enemies with the spinny sword attacks I have gotten hit 19 out of 20 times even when i do nothing but wait for the attack to dodge lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK I have gotten to the point where it makes very clear that this is from the narrative designers of FF14. (three eikons unlocked) Another Meanwhile... scene after a big narrative threshold lol Really enjoying things so far and would keep on playing if I could...

Also unlocked enough of the kit (including upgrading some of the basics I've forgotten about lol) to feel better about things, I guess I'll see how much of that I will be able to pick back up in a month.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy XIII was bad because it never slowed down and let you explore the world.

FFXV was bad because all it let you do was slow down and explore the world

FF16 is bad because you have a mix of fast paced linear segments and slower world building.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will admit, the first time I faced a Bomb, and I didn't really see any of the things I associate with Bombs, was kinda a letdown.

SOPFFO handled them perfectly, and I'm not talking about you being able to suplex them, though that was also nice

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

Bombs absolutely do a self destruct attack, which is the main thing I associate with them.

susan b buffering posted:

Last night when I first encountered Bombs one detonated and killed me so I'm gonna have to give these Bombs an A+.

Hmm okay, maybe its part of me continuing to be overwhelmed with combat and all the particle effects but I didn't really notice that or just thought it was their normal death animation.

To clarify, the thing I associate with Bombs is not just self destruct, but that they will react to your attacks by getting bigger to warn you they're going to blow up

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I wonder if they were more conservative about that kinda chatter after seeing backlash to it in things like Horizon and God of War lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

JBP posted:

I play them for the stories and I like both, but the combat is always very brain in low power or off mode. Which imo is fine. I really enjoyed DQ11 but I didn't finish it because I was bored of the combat. Returned to FFX and FF12 recently and didn't get that far through either because the combat was boring.

I have no idea how I got through FF12 when it came out. What a loving slog.

quoting this post so I can remember where to go back to as I catch up, since I had to travel for a month right after the game came out lol.

Really enjoying it, though is the thread consensus still that the game is babytown frolics in terms of difficulty, my memory of the discussion back then was a bunch of people talking about how they never died, meanwhile I have died on basically every major boss fight in the game at least once lol, something about the dodge timing is just not clicking with me

Edit: I think the other thing is, what is people's bread and butter attack pattern, i keep trying to do the magic burst combo but i can't get that timing either lol, are people weaving in abilities and stuff too, i had been saving that for staggers but i guess it's better to keep them on cooldown?

Also I don't think I've loathed a villain in the Final Fantasy series as much as Clive's Mom lmao

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Vivian Ninetales" is my favorite character