Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Its Rinaldo posted:

Jesse Cox about FF16 and the "not my Final Fantasy" criticism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUkOzdCSaZ4

That dude asks why people think it’s not “their Final Fantasy” and brings up the Skill Up review and then proceeds to speculate what they think is different now, but that Skill Up review goes into what they feel is different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Arist posted:

to be fair, skill up's reasons were bad

Even so, he could still address those reasons instead of making up different ones

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

He said the skill up had some good stuff but was specifically talking about the theme of not my final fantasy and that was just an example :confused:? It wasn't a point by point refutation of the skill up article.

Not expecting one, but the other guy asks what people feel is different with this one and then makes up reasons even though Skill Up says what they feel is different. I'm just saying that there's no need to speculate when people are giving their reasons

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Is she the only woman who hangs out with Clive for a good amount of time?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

I just beat the game tonight. Didn't like it. The story was bad and the storytelling made it worse. An example of that is when Dion starts destroying Twinside and killing a bunch of people for no reason. It is only after the Bahamut fight do we find out that he was manipulated by Ultima. Up until then, it's an uncharacteristic moment for him that doesn't make me intrigued as to what changed in him, but made me think that I missed something Speaking of Bahamut Jill just complete sat it out with no explanation as to why. They really did Jill dirty in this game.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not entirely clear what you mean there. The game literally had two previous examples of "Dominants who are emotionally compromised go absolutely batshit out of control" and uh, Dion just killed his own dad. He wasn't manipulated by Ultima, he (like Benedikta and Hugo before him) was absolutely out of his mind. Only difference is that he survived it.
My issue is that the explanation came after the change with no hint that it was emotional distress. Dion goes from being worried about civilian casualties to needlessly slaughtering them pretty fast with no immediate explanation or setup for it. It just suddenly happens and is only explained after Bahamut is defeated. Either it should've been properly set up or move the scene where Dion accidentally kills his father after he asks his boyfriend if he's doing the right thing

the_steve posted:

WRT Jill: It's because Priming takes a toll on the Dominant. It's hard to tell since her outfits cover pretty much everything from the neck down, but it's pretty strongly implied that she's suffering from a fair degree of the Crystal's Curse. Not as bad as Cid's or Joshua's cases, but still pretty rough for her. Plus, someone needed to keep an eye on Mother of the Year to make sure she didn't try to pull anything.

I don't think it's a good explanation when Cid and Joshua are further along but still primed. Things were getting dire for Clive and Joshua and Jill just stood by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the game's treatment of jill became inexcusable for me in the next arc, where she primes again only to get taken down in a single swing by Worst Character barnabas. it really threw into relief how ineffectual she is throughout the game - even in her own arc, her biggest contribution was creating an ice wall for a boss fight arena

That whole Barnabas scene really took me out. For me, it didn't make Barnabas look incredibly skilled. It made Clive look like he didn't know how to fight. Jill's contribution in her arc was just as pathetic. After she primes, she makes an ice wall and then when the boss is defeated, she says that she must end it, but the game says nope and makes Clive destroy the mothercrystal