Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

smoobles posted:

I've never played a FF game before. Would this be a good one to start with? I see mixed things about this.

I dislike turn-based combat, which has me interested in FF16! And I guess it's a standalone story?

I’d say so. It’s not turned based at all and has no relation to any other final fantasy other than the names of characters, bosses etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Jesse Cox about FF16 and the "not my Final Fantasy" criticism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUkOzdCSaZ4

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Just beat the first A-rank Hunt. Absolutely loved that fight, even if it took me a couple of tries. Lots of opportunities to really punish and get punished. Now to find the other item I need for crafting...

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
So anyone else scream along with the Titan abilities?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Its Rinaldo posted:

Jesse Cox about FF16 and the "not my Final Fantasy" criticism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUkOzdCSaZ4

That dude asks why people think it’s not “their Final Fantasy” and brings up the Skill Up review and then proceeds to speculate what they think is different now, but that Skill Up review goes into what they feel is different

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

theCalamity posted:

That dude asks why people think it’s not “their Final Fantasy” and brings up the Skill Up review and then proceeds to speculate what they think is different now, but that Skill Up review goes into what they feel is different

to be fair, skill up's reasons were bad

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Well I bought a Final Fantasy machine. They got me, goons. Can't wait.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

bobby2times posted:

No, but I do a little fist-pump.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

bobby2times posted:

more of a growl but yes

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

during (eikon 4 spoilers) titan lost I may have kept yelling BOWDOWNOVERDWELLER BOWDOWNOVERDWELLER BOWNDOWNOVERDWELER TI-TAN

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I didn't yell any attack names but I admit more than once I just burst into delighted laughter when I realized what immensely stupid-cool thing they were going to do next.

And I have plenty of criticisms about FFXVI but (late game spoiler about a boss battle/Eikon 6) I was watching Odin charge up his super sword and went "Oh man it would be amazing if Clive caught it" and then he loving did, broke it in half, and Zantetsuken'd Odin with his own broken sword and I had to pause the game because I was just cackling too hard.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 27, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A BLU RAY INTO THE PS5. ITS FINAL FANTASY 16 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, CLIVE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SANBREQUE BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP PARRY. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED VALISTHEA'S MOST DANGEROUS PRESS GANG. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY 9-5 JOB AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN WAGE SLAVE JOBS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

e: vvvvv lmao

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 27, 2023

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

bobby2times posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CRYSTAL INTO THE SLOT. ITS MY EIKON TITAN AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, TITAN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME BEARER BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY BECAME DHALMEKIA’S PERMANENT ECONOMIC ADVISOR, BUT I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY PARLIAMENT MEETINGS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN PARLIAMENT MEETINGS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY DESERT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng - Hugo Kupka

e: GODDAMMIT

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

HD DAD posted:

I’m just before that and I’m at 65% lmao

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill 'em all.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Arist posted:

Even so, he could still address those reasons instead of making up different ones

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
He said the skill up had some good stuff but was specifically talking about the theme of not my final fantasy and that was just an example :confused:? It wasn't a point by point refutation of the skill up article.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Drake’s Fang spoilers

Gonna be honest the Titan fight overstayed its welcome big time. Three phases was entirely too much. The third part was nothing both visually and mechanically

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Drake’s Fang spoilers

Gonna be honest the Titan fight overstayed its welcome big time. Three phases was entirely too much. The third part was nothing both visually and mechanically

It really did. The third phase could’ve just been a cutscene

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

smoobles posted:

I've never played a FF game before. Would this be a good one to start with? I see mixed things about this.

I dislike turn-based combat, which has me interested in FF16! And I guess it's a standalone story?

All Final Fantasy games are standalones unless it’s something like 13-2. The sequel to 13. All main number Final Fantasy games are a fine place to start.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

He said the skill up had some good stuff but was specifically talking about the theme of not my final fantasy and that was just an example :confused:? It wasn't a point by point refutation of the skill up article.

Not expecting one, but the other guy asks what people feel is different with this one and then makes up reasons even though Skill Up says what they feel is different. I'm just saying that there's no need to speculate when people are giving their reasons

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ralph skillup's not that popular on this site at the best of times so he's not going to get much benefit of the doubt from your average poster. I think he had some fair criticisms, I don't think anyone can deny some of the more obvious flaws (gear) but reasonable people can differ on the weight of those problems.

Certainly considering how he weighs them it takes some real gymnastics to explain why he likes FF14 so much though

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

More like Skill Down

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I don’t need a content creator to tell me what games are good or bad.

Edit-

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

More like Skill Down

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I’m judged for myself and determined game is extremely good and one of my top Final Fantasy titles. But outside of 13 & 15, I love this franchise a lot and am excited for FF17.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Drake’s Fang spoilers

Most hosed up opinion in here yet

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arist posted:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Do you get anything for doing combat trials?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

JBP posted:

Do you get anything for doing combat trials?

They each give you damage up accessories for the corresponding eikon's ultimate :stoked:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When Cid's (mid gameish? spoiler) daughter appeared and her name is Mid it was the funniest thing to me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The more I played the more SkillUp’s review just didn’t make any sense. Content creators are going to get a lot of content talking about the culture around the game rather than from it directly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bobjr posted:

When Cid's (mid gameish? spoiler) daughter appeared and her name is Mid it was the funniest thing to me.

Its a reference to an earlier FF game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bobjr posted:

That's canon? Been the case in 5, 12, 15, and reversed in 14.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s an occasional FF tradition and I was happy to see it.

Now game just needs to introduce a Biggs and a Wedge but I can’t see it happening

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Now game just needs to introduce a Biggs and a Wedge but I can’t see it happening

They've saving them for XVI-2

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Incredibly brave to go with Trevor and Wade for the tutorial team.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This is some real dumb padding right now in the desert and losing a pass and talking to these dumb kids

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Most hosed up opinion in here yet

It was boring. The predecessor fight had a better balance of spectacle and mechanical engagement. Drake's Fang was so perfunctory that half of it really shoulda just been a cutscene.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Drake’s Fang spoilers

Nah

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Man there’s some Witcher 3 level of storytelling in some of the late side quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It was boring. The predecessor fight had a better balance of spectacle and mechanical engagement. Drake's Fang was so perfunctory that half of it really shoulda just been a cutscene.

smh cant believe we let these sort of people in here these days