Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mainwaring posted:

I don't follow many big releases closely, but what seems striking about this one is how supremely confident the devs are that they have a smash hit on their hands.

if you put stock in random rumors, SE is "panicking" because XVI preorders are pretty down from past releases. But this game was going to carry from word of mouth and reception anyway, plus the devs seem to expect this to be a slow but steady burn for a FF game. Plus, if they play things right in the next two weeks, that preorder count could end up exploding last minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Terper posted:

Nah, if you check her ATL it turns out she and Elwin are in fact cousins and her part of the family line has been known to give birth to a lot of Phoenixes.

I guess that explains why she wasn’t *that* heartbroken about Joshua. Assuming he also doesn’t revive as a human as he did as an Eikon, she’s probably thinking she could just make another Phoenix dominant with someone else

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

the demo is strong but if it's taking inspiration from game of thrones maybe it completely shits itself and dies about 2/3 of the way in

The hilarious thing about this is that in that Sunday conference, they made it specifically clear the team only watched Seasons 1-4.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I said come in! posted:

gently caress, that would be so awesome if he made a Final Fantasy.

the marketing (and bickering on the internet pre-release) would be such a poo poo show and I would love every moment of it

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

FFXVII, starring Caim and Angelus again because the next generation isn't ready

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Geckoagua posted:

Skillup review dropped, and I don't want to yuck any yum but I agree with all of it. I really am not seeing as much as people in this thread are seeing in FFXVI, so much of it feels directly lifted from FFXIV which is incredibly dated in itself. Maybe FF just ain't for me anymore. Interesting points about the game design, regardless of where you fall on opinion though.

I watched some of this video and between this and people like Jason Schreier running in for backup when he’s not making incredibly tasteless and unfunny jokes about the Titanic sub, I mean, I don’t know how to treat “well the story, gameplay, and music is great *but* the items and quests are bad therefore..:” these days.

Like, the quests and items are the least interactive part of the game that I can ignore and carry on my way the most. It is much more of an effort for me to get around a certain recent game showing me how Ganondorf steamrolled the Sage Avengers for the 5th loving time in a row and calling that story building

On FF7R combat talk, yeah, melting enemies with Tifa was great. Hurling little magic tennis balls or using you peashooter with Aerith and Barret not so much

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Honestly the journalist discourse on the side quests is kind of strange to me.

Like, it sucks how it doesn't have very few but a little longer side quests like 6 through 10. But like, I guess we could go back to 12 and 13 where it was all Hunts, but 16 has Hunts too so I'm not sure what the major malfunction here is.

Yeah 15 had more side quests but a lot of that also boiled down to "go here and get jumped by a bunch of monsters" and I don't remember nearly enough people complaining about that hitch in priority of everything else.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I got past the first big point of no return and out of anything, I think the Game of Thrones comparisons are going to drive me more insane the further we get out and the more I play.

This poo poo is Vagrant Story/FF Tactics in 4K, except they can show more bodies and blood than they ever could in their original games. For god's sake, the part I'm at right now screams "Ramza's Act 3 Heretic Arc"

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Chomposaur posted:

Honestly kinda feel like they're fuckin with me every time I swerve out of my way to pick up something off the ground and it's 3 gil or there's a treasure chest with 5 beaver pelts at the bottom of some ancient forgotten ruins lol

Yeah it’s the XII approach to loot

Captain Oblivious posted:

You must have mentally checked out because yeah you misread almost all of those scenes to one degree or another.

I'll give the poster a point on one thing: When Cid was like "we'll pay a visit to Mother" I was also like "wait we're just going to go straight at Clive's Mom?" but then he's talking about the Mothercrystals and while it made more sense, especially since the game says on a few occasions that trying to take Clive's Mom out would be a gigantic pain in the rear end right now, also got me saying "oh wow Cid's just going to aim straight for the top cause of the problem, let's see where he's going with this lmao"

MechaX fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 24, 2023

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I’m on the Black Light Burns chapter about halfway in and I don’t think I’ve ever been happier to find out that a side character survived something lmao

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I feel like a mid-way plot point completely went over some people's heads (not here, but in another certain gaming community) and I cannot fathom how.

No Cid did not literally become the loving Se7en killer and mail a head to Kupka, he's obviously being played by someone

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Seph posted:

I just got the limit break did Cid really just pull a Se7en and send Benedikta’s head in a box to the titan dominant?! I was half paying attention so might have missed some context, but if so lmao this game rules, can’t believe they turned Cid into a psycho.

Sakurazuka posted:

...no one seriously thought Cid actually did that right? No one could be that dumb .

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist

Now in all seriousness, nah, not only because Cid was busy trying to get Clive out of enemy territory to really even worry about Benedikta's body, but doing so would create massive unnecessary beef with Kupka for no reason. Hell, Cid probably didn't even know that Benedikta and Kupka were a thing; seems like he only knew about Barnabas because of prior history.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

RatHat posted:

Game really does feel like “babby’s first racism” sometimes. (Post point of no return spoilers)Clive sees another village purged by the black shields “Why would they do this???” Clive you’ve been seeing why for the last 10 hours. They’ve literally explained it to you, and you’ve know your mom was evil and petty for almost 20 years at this point

Nah, Clive's concern was perfectly understandable because yeah, he sees the racism and cruelty on a daily basis, but this is the first time he's experiencing the flat out mindless genocide conclusion with it. Prior times were at best, retaliatory, or at worst, for entertainment like the dad and his Joffrey son. Here, there was no purpose that Clive could identify at all (obviously not that having a purpose makes it any better).

"babby's first racism" is like.. Tales of Arise where all of the villains work their opposed group into early graves for undiscernible reasons from the start, and then late game they try to attempt to humanize the genocidal slavers

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

So I'm pretty much near where everything else is at right now and the game is really loving awesome, but there are dissenting opinions that... i can't really relate to where I'm at right now (whether it changes or confirms this stuff, I have no loving clue).

https://www.thegamer.com/final-fantasy-16-female-characters-jill-benedikta-clive/

the discourse around this game has been weird as hell, but i dunno

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Introvert Jill can’t stop getting dragged for just being there and listening

Jill thinks I don't notice her poo poo-eating grin in some scenes (usually when Clive's getting embarrassed) or how the first thing she usually does after a boss or something is go pet Torgal

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Finished the Titan fight

Yeah unless this game nosedives considerably, this is easily my personal GOTY so far

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Harrow posted:

I can't tell if Clive is actually an interesting character or if, like Jon Hamm's character from 30 Rock, he's just so handsome that I'm blinded into also thinking he's also cool and interesting

Clive is seemingly a theater nerd so no, he's pretty interesting

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

So I just beat (spoilers for the Crystalline Dominion boss) Bahamut

At first, I was like "this is cool but this hasn't reached Titan in terms of hype yet." And then suddenly you fly into space to stop Strike Freedom Golden Bahamut from blowing up the planet like he's Cell, using Donald Duck's most powerful black magic. Yeah okay game, you proved me wrong.

Also, all this honestly seems like "this is what we wanted Ultimate Coil of Bahamut in FFXIV to be if we had unlimited budget."

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Also I can tell which of u should never be allowed to have actual input on writing lol. This preoccupation with every moment needing to satisfy some bullet point "necessity" or else a scene is worthless is some poo poo you get from watching too many YouTube "analysis" videos from people who failed CP Lit in high-school.

The only way i can consume media is with Cinema Sins analyses and dings

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

"We can yell at each other and be perfectly heard in any environment" is just a power you get when you're a major character in fiction.

Jill too the rescue with the subversion on this one (Crystalline Dominion Boss Spoilers): she had to flat out tell Clive that Joshua can't loving hear him 1000 feet up fighting against the giant dragon for his goddamn life

Clive's plan didn't include the cyberbrains of orphans across the planet (yet)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Through the Maelstrom Quest Spoiler: "CLIVE BESTED" *victory fanfare blares*

This game is rude as gently caress

Edit: oh these two have been loving for awhile

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 1, 2023

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

So I just got the 7th Eikon. I really enjoyed the fight for what it was even if it was less over-the-top than Titan or Bahamut, especially with the surprise-reverse Zantetsuken which clearly awoken some feelings in Barnabas.

So I keep remembering how Jason Schreier and some other gaming journos said that the plot suddenly "drops" all prior plot threads; am I at that point yet? Because I'm still not seeing what in the gently caress they were talking about Ultima loving with these nations is as apparently now as it was when he first appeared

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I’m in the process of wrapping up the last few side quests before the final mission and.. yeah, I get how some of the quests can be a drag in terms of how a lot of them are structured (like FFXIV).

But on the other hand, there’s a lot of character development in these quests and I feel like I’m going to remember a lot of these NPCs for a long time. Hell, there are actual main cast party members in past FF games that I haven’t thought about in *years* but I don’t think I’m going to forget about people like Gav and Charon any time soon

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I beat the game but I do appreciate that one super end-game side quest that addresses the "why don't bearers just rebel, they have powers"

Apparently Bearers were once the top dog and made a religion out of their superiority, and the rest of the continent clapped back hard to eradicate this religion. Like, so hard that subsequent discrimination became ingrained into their day-to-day activities. These governments and people have acted long and hard to subjugate bearers and likely don't even remember why they started doing that in the first place

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not sure how Clive and Jill outran *the ocean* let alone Mid's ship but good for them

Jill probably carried Clive and Torgal while she pulled an Iceman from X-Men and just ice-surfed the way back

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Think about this for half a second

Who would be aware that Benedikta was stringing Hugo along? And thus even know to send her head to him, let alone have a reason to do so? Cid, the man who has been out of contact for years with Waloed and Benedikta? Orrrrrr someone else who perhaps tends to stir poo poo?

brb, imagining Cid taking a break from carrying a naked Clive outside of enemy territory to go back into enemy territory with a bone saw, and send her head to someone I don’t think he even talks about more than once to start beef

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Khizan posted:

I think it was more fitting that it was a fight between Clive and Barnabas, instead of being between Ifrit and Odin.

the moment you did the reverse zantetsuken and inflicted maximum disrespect and mental damage on him, Odin was out of the runnings; it was all (mostly) Barnabas at that point out of pure ego

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, the Odin fight is by no means bad, but you do Titan and then Bahamut one after the other and then Odin and Odin just ends up feeling a little anticlimactic after those two.

I wonder if they could have switched Odin and Bahamut’s placement somehow in the story; you’d need some rewrites especially for Joshua, but it could have let you have good Dion a little earlier, and maybe Olivier-Ultima and Annette would have tried to do something super hosed up which would still have the stakes pretty high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

If you got the DLC, check out Torgal's inner thoughts on a lot of the characters