Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

clive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Terper posted:

Not enough info to make a segment on it yet :colbert:

finally googled what a barber is in this context

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

rosfield*

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

aw, naw, they dubbing over yoship

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

idk, they were pretty open about their promotional period revving up as soon as forspoken got shoved out the door.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I only just now realized there is no water eikon lol

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Leviathan is in the Amano art so I’m assuming that we just haven’t seen it yet

that'll teach me to trust the poll at the top of the page

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the enduring legacy of final fantasy 11 is promoting garuda from some bird/birdwoman to the de facto wind summon

pandeWHO?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the soundtrack comes out the middle of next month, and SE usually doesn't upload them to streaming services for about a year after. you can buy it on amazon or apple music probably but you won't get it on spotify for a good while.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

got slapped around by the first A rank hunt. took me one death before I became The Slapper

https://twitter.com/vitaminohm/status/1672678495846006788

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/vitaminohm/status/1672780638234001411

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the communal lab has issued its response

https://twitter.com/carlego/status/1672790138655571969

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

blackthorne's 4th quest doing my best not to be ffxiv player but I see dragon's voice, I point at the screen and go "I know what comes next!!!!"

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

postmodifier posted:

There are so many shithead NPCs that I literally wish Clive had a portable tattoo machine, just brand all these idiot fuckers and let them reap their own rewards

Game succeeds in message, great job everybody

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm sure there's been minor framerate dips in graphics mode but the only time I've seen the framerate tank is in the last area of the last explorable region so, I'll give it to them

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

dunno who it was that said maxing renown wouldn't be possible without NG+, but I just got the trophy with some sidequests to spare.

good luck gamers.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've cleaned up all the side quests before what sounds like the last dungeon so I think it's safe to say this now: I think the most disappointing thing I've come across is that the game presents you with a blighted area on the way to phoenix gate, and you can even see that you can't use magic or charge attacks inside it, but then you never get any combat encounters with that limitation active in the story

Phenotype posted:

If you mash the jump button as you walk around town, it looks like Clive is skipping everywhere like an old-timey little schoolgirl.

I've just come off of Tears of the Kingdom where Link will alternate which leg he'll use each jump so Clive is sorely lacking in that department.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine that anyone would actually enjoy "the fighting system but with almost all of it cut out" TBH.

It's not like it has to be an entire dungeon, but it's weird that you see it and then don't have even a single encounter in a blighted area. I think those kinds of scenarios where you get briefly depowered are interesting, even if they're kind of shocking.

Learning that you don't even open the door there leads me to believe that the devs are lying about not being sure about DLC, because just lmao to leave that in the game otherwise.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

What irks me is you also go through other supposedly blighted areas, namely southern waloed, and still have your powers so it's not even consistent.

Yeah I noticed that too! The map even makes it look like you'll be starting in a blighted area and I thought "oh okay a little struggle before we get into Waloed proper" but nah, it's business as usual.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I mainly think it's unfortunate that the game shows you that something like this can happen and doesn't go anywhere with it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Harrow posted:

I kinda felt the same. There isn't really a perfect control scheme right now unfortunately. Type C makes using magic shots much easier, especially charged magic, but it does make switching Eikons clunkier, especially if you want to do it mid-combo. I also don't love how Triangle is for switching Eikons but R2+Triangle is still one of your abilities. For some reason my brain still stumbles over that sometimes.

I think the more Eikon abilities you have, the less important charged magic is, and if you can get used to magic bursting with Square and Triangle instead of Square and L1 then type A is probably better in the long run.

the second game I've felt justified buying this stupid $200 dualshock edge for - type C with the back triggers set to eikonic feat and dodge has been a gamechanger.

the first game was, of course, theatrhythm

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

this game's a pretty bad victim of FF14's msq design, except there it was so that they could spread out exp to get you to the new level cap but here it just feels like it's padding for the sake of being able to post "50 hour playtime!" somewhere. I think it's good to have downtime between set pieces but in this game part of that downtime is spending two or three hours in every new town which gets old after a while.

I think my main problem with the setup is that you pick up pretty quickly that exploration is discouraged. Every point of interest on the map will be the target of either a sidequest or a hunt eventually, and all getting there early will get you is a treasure chest with a handful of low tier crafting materials. I think the only time this wasn't the case were the watchtowers in Sanbreque, and even then all that really is are a couple waves of knights and a chest with, again, three blackblood and fifteen gil.

Some endgame quest talk the most interesting quests were the ones that took you to Balmung Dark and Mikkelburg - the former because it felt like a minidungeon ending in a boss fight and the latter just because the village was its own set piece for the quest. I don't think every side quest needed to be like this, but having some more of these spread out through the game would've helped alleviate a lot of the tedium. Balmung Dark was actually exciting because even if it was only a couple hallways it felt like a quest that could only occur here, and not some abandoned desert town or open field like the overwhelming majority of them.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Don't get me wrong though - despite how much I didn't like the early sidequests I do think the payoffs are worth it - I think for me personally I wish that more sidequests had areas tailored to them like the handful I mentioned in the spoiler. I'll even cop to this partially being on me, in that even when I knew I was getting impatient with the quests I let all the voiced dialogue in the talking head scenes play out instead of reading and skipping ahead.

some of it is mismanaged expectations - like with the open areas discouraging exploration and having no kinds of side dungeons or whatever, that makes sense coming from the FF14 dev team where zone POIs will also always get used for a main quest or side quest. when I start hard mode (with the spanish dub!) I'll try to manage those expectations better but, overall, I think it's a great game that's dragged down by some really bad pacing.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's based on number of enemies caught up in it, yeah.

if enemies weren't made of paper (maybe capped in arcade mode?) you could scoop a bunch up with ignition then gouge them for big points

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Clive spends the time between the first and second arc developing a personality

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Cid's Spanish voice is rather good

https://twitter.com/vitaminohm/status/1674306740332949505

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The L'ubor story is something that really needs way more time than two sidequests can really devote to it. Everything moving so fast really makes it hard to take any of it seriously. They literally go from stoning the dude to being like "you are right, everyone deserves equal rights!" within the span of like 10 minutes. I mean when L'ubor is going over the plan on how to deal with the monsters, he goes "can I trust on the city watch to keep the town safe" and the dude who just threw a rock at his head is like "ALWAYS!"

Also if you go walk around right after, there's people that are like "I keep thinking back to the time we nearly drove L'ubor out of town. What a fool I was" and it's like guys that literally just happened.

I recall the first quest happening a couple of main story beats before the second. Did you hold off on cleaning up any sidequests in between?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Macaluso posted:

You're right but it still feels like it didn't have much room to breath. And no I've done all the side quests as soon as they come up

I mean in that case you do a whole cross country tour of Waloed between them, which going by FFXIV rules takes longer in the fiction than it does to play I feel.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

can you turn on photo mode in combat?

genuine question, I don't use photo modes much.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I only timed out on Phoenix cause I wasn't playing to the bonuses. Odin got me close to dying but I was able to clear it and the other five in one go.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've narrowed down the biggest issue with the sidequests and it's that there's no pitioss ruins

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

SettingSun posted:

The plots of the sidequests improve significantly over time. The first act's are a bit of an outlier.

Just push through ARR it gets better in Heavensward

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

gamers when they encounter an ability they don't understand - is it just garbage??

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

they dropped the patch right as the last person in my ff14 raid group beat the game which is Really Funny

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it sucks because I do think the payoff of the sidequest chains are worth the time put in, but also gently caress you for pulling a "it gets better by heavensward" in a god drat single player game!!!!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the first dungeon in FINAL FANTASY mode has rear end in a top hat wyverns that continuously cast cure on other enemies and really put a damper on my Scoop Up and Destroy plan for trash enemies, as well as throwing miniboss enemies into trash packs, but I do wish the game didn't make me wait until literally the whole game was finished to start doing stuff like that to me

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

nothing else to discuss!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

there was a stinger at the end of the 2nd dlc trailer that I'm assuming is it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Finally played through the first DLC. That was a pretty cool boss fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I got hit by three of those attacks that you seemingly can't avoid (without perfect dodging?) in the back half of the fight until I remembered oh yeah the shield thing actually blocks damage

but he never used one of those attacks again before I beat him.

Pretty cool DLC. Am I misremembering or was there an interview somewhere that said the devs were originally planning on having the ending change after the DLCs were finished, but walked back on it during the development of this one? Feels like that's where the Ultima attunement would've originally come from instead of just touching the stone after finishing this one.

e: fwiw I'm fine with the "real" ending not being locked behind an additional twenty five american dollar paywall. Just sorta curious about how dev went here.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 19, 2024