Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah after like 2 years of a painfully slow drip feed I feel like they're showing too much now. I'm fully sold and I just want to play the drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Terper posted:

They are two separate thoughts

Mod gambits into FF8 imo

Or junctions into 12

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

What do they mean by soul of a PS2 game? Is anyone at Polygon even old enough to have played PS2 games?

drat kids! :argh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Standard. Shopto uk exclusive extras

How is Shopto with day one delivery these days? They're a tenner cheaper than Amazon but last time I used them it took a few days after launch to show up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sakurazuka posted:

3 cheaper than digital

In the UK at least this is a rare occasion where (at RRP at least) the digital version is £5 cheaper than physical.

I've ordered the physical version simply because I've always bought physical copies of new FF games. But they haven't used the cool white boxart since 12 anyway so there's not much point these days.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I'd much rather be able to see objects moving rather than marvel at how realistically I can't see them.

That said I do get a kick out of a well done depth of field effect.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Books On Tape posted:

It’s like everybody played elden ring/souls and wants to make their games like that now. It’s really getting annoying.

Character action games have existed a lot longer than Souls.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oxxidation posted:

game of thrones had global pop culture in a deathgrip for years before its producers hosed it up so badly the whole thing vaporized, but you still smell the leftover smoke from time to time

House of the Dragon is really good so far and seems to have revived a lot of the goodwill. I don't think it's the property or setting that people were turned off by, just the utter poo poo that was season 5-8 of the show.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Both of those covers are so much better than the actual game's boxart.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

gently caress, that would be so awesome if he made a Final Fantasy.

They let Matsuno make a mainline FF game set in his existing personal world so why the hell (why the gently caress, even) not set one in the DrakenNierverse?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's weird how little presence Takai has had in the game's marketing. Obviously people love YoshiP and they want to put him front and centre, but I bet most people don't even realise some other guy's actually directed the thing.

I guess you don't get all that many situations where a producer takes so much of the credit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Moogles and Chocobos

Gotta have Mogs and Chocs for it to be an FF. That's why FF1 isn't canon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

...! posted:

Is there a review embargo on this game or something? Any time there's an embargo I tend to assume (fairly or not) that the game is terrible.

Literally every game (other than tiny indie games I guess) has a review embargo. Some are just earlier than others.

FF16's is tomorrow

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think a perfect Famistsu 40 means what it used to mean. Skyward Sword got one for christ's sake. The Wii version.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know the devs gave their own estimates but have we had any reports on how long a normal playthrough (eg not beelining the plot, not doing every piece of optional content) will take?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Idk he jumps higher than I can. And he's wearing armor and poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah it's just a basic ranged attack to weave in occasionally. What's wrong with that?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's weird that the game introduced sidequests to me, gave me exactly two and I haven't seen any more for like 6 hours.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Pretty wild to consider this is the first new mainline, single player Final Fantasy game since XII to not have been announced 17 years ago at E3 2006 for the PS3

I know dev times are 5 years minimum these days but I really hope they're out of the slump with the series now and we get 17 this decade.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

All games should have a film grain option with loads of intensity options. Film grain slaps.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've died plenty but I'm bad at the combat and refuse to use potions for some reason.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What counts when numbering Eikon fights? I'm not long after the five year timeskip and I don't know whether Eikon fight specifically means the fights against the eight Eikons or any fights where you play as Ifrit. Does the Ifrit vs Ifrit metaphorical fight count? Or the Typhon one?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So is there a reason to do arcade mode outside challenge/high scores/fun? I probably won't touch it but if there's an actual reward I might.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A story can't have more than one woman villain. It's scientifically impossible.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It feels a reasonable amount faster. The main advantage for me is it makes it easier to run past enemies that I've already fought a bunch of times.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WaltherFeng posted:

I watched Ongbal use Rook's Gambit in some of his no damage videos and I've been really sleeping on this skill. It recharges fast and deals really good stagger damage as long as you use it aggressively. I'll definitely have to use heatwave more as well because most bosses poo poo out projectiles.

Yeah counters are easily my favourite abilities despite me being pretty terrible at pulling them off. Rook's Gambit's counter animation is super satisfying.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo owns Monolithsoft

They're remaking SMRPG, the floodgates are open. FFXVII exclusive to Switch 2.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bugblatter posted:

Well, one of the travelers names does need to start with C.

Welp, I learned something new today.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GateOfD posted:

hate souls-likes, so said no to Strangers of Para.

finally got to Final Sidequest 16.
don't actually mind this final onslaught of green marks. Since most of them have some pretty strong character development and conclusions. So at least its entertaining, instead of generic random hunt spots. (which I'm going to cheat and look at a hunts map online to find in ample time)

Yeah this is where I'm at. As much as I want to see how it ends I'm enjoying one last go around with these characters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao I must be terrible because I die plenty on NG.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Each of her bits last like 30 minutes at most and she's a fun enough character that it doesn't really matter that it's slow.

The only thing I dislike about her is that she gave up on building her airship. Imagine being a ship engineer in a Final Fantasy game and not building an airship.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vanderdeath posted:

I mean, she's 100% correct in her assumptions that her airship design would get weaponized almost immediately, especially in the societal upheaval Cid and Clive initiated. Also don't forget that there is a massive cataract in the sea from an ancient war that is surrounded by fallen airships.

Not wanting to go down in history as a developer of war machina seems like a reasonable thing in my opinion.

Yeah but it would've been really fuckin' rad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't believe I've gotten to the end of the game and beaten all the sidequests and that ominous looking door in The Dim just never came up again. That's the biggest DLC hook in the drat game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sakurazuka posted:

Everyone else finished it weeks ago

I started it the day it launched and just finished it today, some people game slow. :)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GateOfD posted:

before setting off for final battle

the gently caress, can't believe you leave Jill and Torgal behind? The game does so much to shoo Jill away from the plot in this, goddamn

Oh yeah, it feels like Torgal's missing some payoff in the story. He gets a couple of side quests but he doesn't really feature in the last stretch at all.

And Jill's just a whole other thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Overbite posted:

Brave of them to throw a marbol at you in a game with no status effects.

Game needs more classic ff enemies. If they held back because they wanted to introduce their own new enemies then fine but they didn’t do that either.

Other than Tonberries and Cactaurs I can't think of any memorable ones that are missing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Human Crouton posted:

Yep.

It's not an RPG.

And it's a bad action game.

It's a good ARPG.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Boy of Joy posted:

I’m not quite sure why they didn’t let you save loadouts in this game and FF7R. Stranger of Paradise is right over there doing it! Really hope they add them in Rebirth

I very much doubt there was much interaction or communication between Team Ninja, BD1 and CBU3 - and the vast majority of development for the three games would've been simultaneous. Maybe they'll have taken some ideas from SoP and implemented them into Rebirth though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WaltherFeng posted:

I wish we had more than 6 ability slots, balance be damned because I like almost all of them. Just have separate cap for ultimates. 4 Eikons would still be pretty manageable.

Yeah I'd be happy with being restricted to one or two ultimates if it meant four eikons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WaltherFeng posted:

The consensus seems to be that FF16 was alright but theres not much to talk about is there? It feels like it was made in a hurry so they could get it out before FF7R part 2. It didn't live up to the expectations set by FF7R part 1 either.

They spent like 7 years on it and they only announced a release date when they were confident it was done so I don't think you can call it rushed.