Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

The game got 39/40 by Famitsu, officially making it worse than Final Fantasy 13-2.

Nothing wrong with coming up short to a classic of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

stev posted:

I don't think a perfect Famistsu 40 means what it used to mean. Skyward Sword got one for christ's sake. The Wii version.

Who are we to disagree?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Filler is badass hope the game will slow down a bit now that i'm through what seems to have been basically the "first chapter" of the story.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I both do and do not feel like the game is too easy rn. The boss fights seem reasonable! But everything that is not a boss is basically just practice where you style on them effortlessly.

Such is how random battle in an rpg go.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shard posted:

Omg clives mom is the worst lol

An almost comically bad mom

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

I’m very confused about this early plot stuff. Demo through the sections just after the end of the demo spoilers.

I’m really confused about Clive thinking that someone else killed Joshua. I understand he was probably not in control of his actions and likely was having some sort of out of body experience. But he was clearly conscious and observing what was happening and would like, know if he was not in control of his own actions.

On top of this, the super secret lore zone, which is in a neutral voice and tells you tons of poo poo that clive has no way of knowing acts like it was someone else as well.

So what gives here? Did the game just do a really bad job of showing what was actually happening?

The scene we saw of Ifrit and Phoenix fighting was secretly Torgal vision. It has the same blurry filter of other times we see from Torgal's perspective, notably in the Benedikta fight if you want an example. And if you recall we start seeing that scene when Torgal's barks rouse Clive's conciousness. The game is pulling a little trick and changing our perspective without our knowledge to deepen the mystery but alas, twas Clive himself who was the beast.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno, but I like my theory better

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FF12

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's simply what you do when you're very evil

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They are just copying FF7(R) by locking off hard mode which is the greatest so who can blame them?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

So is skillup right that this is basically an single player MMO

No

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Also linearity is based.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its FFX style. But with some boring ffxii zones.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hooded Man is a really cool dude huh? Also can't believe they did a (End of Oriflamme spoiler) "five years later" what a move from the game.

Anyway, from trailers and everything I was expecting the game to feel like a Matsuno FF when honestly i'm kinda getting the opposite vibes from it now. The political drama hasn't been hitting at all but the character drama is very fun and all the magic and fantasy stuff always lands.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

When they just gonna let my pal Gav join the party. Beginning to feel bad that he always gets left behind. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Garuda got the counter attack which I love though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like lightning rod and ignition. I don't know if its good but it sure does proc a lot

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why not have both?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seems a bit too obvious a metaphor to have much to say about it that hasn't already been said.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

I recall a fair bit of irritation about how bro-y the game presented itself as. Of course, it's also SoP, which is just a wild and weird game in general, so I expect at least some of it is literally just having to play Jack.

EDIT: anyways, basically, yeah, I think a good chunk of the annoyance around XV, XVI and representation re: gender I've seen can be summed up by opinions like this:
https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1673340484993835022?s=20

I'm glad we've all come around on Lightning.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah sometimes blackthorne just takes a bit longer than you'd think to update his crafting menu

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s an occasional FF tradition and I was happy to see it.

Now game just needs to introduce a Biggs and a Wedge but I can’t see it happening

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Best scene in the game up to getting the fourth eikon imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine that anyone would actually enjoy "the fighting system but with almost all of it cut out" TBH.

I would.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Been saying ever since it was revealed as an action rpg that this was just going to be a kingdom hearts.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

FF16 isnt kingdom hearts, the game is crazy fun for starters.

Sounds like a good start to being a KH

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Am excited for the game to have an interesting politic eventually

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clive employs violence often tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clive is a sweet lad with excellent VA. He is a solid video game protagonist.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Still mid-game so sort of expecting this to change but wish I found Clive's mum more exciting a character. She's like the only person politically scheming in the entire story which the game needs more of but she's very hard to take seriously.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hatty posted:

I love those muttering old men

yup

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In most time periods i'd say

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Soliloquies are cool

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I’ve made it a fair ways past that bit and I’m hoping it’s the nadir pacing-wise. it’d be hard for it not to be, those two story quests chains are somehow even more inane than soup delivery and they roadblock you from a place you very much want to go

Soup delivery was good tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I have not read any reviews but I think the fantasy slavery and the geopolitics are pretty weak throughout tbh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wait the ps5 has a zoom feature?

Holy poo poo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Augus posted:

lmao Phoenix at bottom tier with its infinite teleport dash? you’re crazy

The dash doesn't seem that impressive tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shame the game mostly tackles it in sidequests

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stew quest is good because its the only time in Act 1 you get to hear about the experience of bearers from bearers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People were really making GBS threads on the mid quests but when I actually got to them they're like "spend some time hanging out with Gav" and that's very cool obviously and one of the better uses of sidequest time imo.

They should just give you all 3 at the beginning instead of having to run back each time to get the next one.