Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm happy that this game is not a "pure" open-world game. Having it be vaguely FFX-ish but with a few very large zones sounds ideal.

Everything I've seen/heard so far has been very good. The only thing I'm a little uncertain about is the controls for switching Eikons; toggling between 3 seems more awkward than some alternative control scheme that lets you immediately choose one of them. Like using the same control scheme as the FF14 crossbars, where you can press L1 (or L2) to activate one Eikon's skills, R1 (or R2) for another, and L1 + R1/L2 + R2 at the same time for the third.

I guess maybe the idea is that you'll usually just cycle through them in the same order? I'm just forseeing some situation where Titan is my 2nd Eikon and I'm currently on my 3rd and need to block something, and have trouble hitting L2 twice in time to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I like the NPC that gradually gives you info dumps as you do more side quests. It's absolutely just an excuse to try to encourage you to spend time doing side content, but I will definitely engage with that sort of gamification and look forward to reading the new things.

This looks like my ideal game. Story-focused thing with flashy combat and various Lore stuff.

I also like how a lot of the boss battles basically seem like action versions of FF14 boss fights.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They definitely showed a bit too much of the Eikon battles imo but loving hell this game looks awesome. Roll on June 22

Yeah, it looks amazing but I'm pretty sure they've shown at least like 3/4 of the Eikon battles in the trailers, if not all of them (since they've shown one for every Eikon Clive seems to get powers from that isn't also a party member).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 13, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

4K/30, 1440/60

Yeah this was the biggest relief since I was worried about the 60fps being 1080p. Absolutely going with the 1440p/60 (though I may change it for cutscenes; my TV's frame interpolation stuff works extremely well for that, but not as well for actual fast-paced action).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

1stGear posted:

Well, its definitely not going to be the gruff but lovable mentor character and also all the people in my home town.

It's kind of funny how Cid doesn't seem more than like 10 years older than older-Clive, if that. Guy looks like he's no older than his early 40s.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol this game is gonna loving own so hard.

you see cid straight up smoking in that clip. its loving done. this is the one.

I wonder if the dog is going to smoke a blunt

Edit: The dog will die because he went into battle high. An anti-drug cautionary tale.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

Lore...!

My favorite thing about this image, is how easily readable this font is (IMO)

edit: The text in the bottom left and right is actually making my eyes physically hurt

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really like the idea of this "Active Time Lore" thing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Something i'm not seeing people bring up, but the preview builds that game press got to play had frame rate issues. These will hopefully be fixed for launch. In performance mode though it tries to target 60fps, but really struggles to get there, it dips really hard according to Easy Allies.

I hope this isn't too big of an issue. It seems like most developers are just really bad at optimizing games these days.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tekne posted:

Apparently the frame rate difference was due to Max playing an older build. The version they showed at PAX was 60fps when they were going through the large desert area. It does sound like a very Square thing to have people playing the game in different states, but maybe it was easier to prevent them from seeing things too early that way.
https://twitter.com/BltzZ7/status/1660720327029039125

I don't think this addresses the issue mentioned in the EasyAllies video "I said come in!" was referring to, because they mention that they played parts in the performance mode and the rate dropped in certain situations that weren't the open areas (like the phoenix segment at the very beginning). The linked tweet is just saying "they have a 60-fps targeted mode" which isn't the issue mentioned in that EasyAllies video (which is that the 60fps targeted performance mode often doesn't meet that target).

Something being locked to 30fps also wouldn't visually manifest as "framerate drops" - it would just be a constant/stable lower framerate.

edit: One of the things they mention does seem to be related to the 30fps-locked open areas, though. They do mention an open part seeming like it was around 30fps. But they also mention some obvious framerate drops during the Phoenix vs Ifrit segment at the every beginning.

I'll just be crossing my fingers about this. At the very least, it sounds like the regular combat is smooth in performance mode.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 23, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One plot thing I'm curious about is what exactly is up with Clive's "absorb Eikon powers" ability. From what I can tell from the preview material, he has that ability while he's still young, but it seems like people don't make a big deal out of it (when it actually seems like it should be a pretty big deal that would make him like a lesser version of the Dominants).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

I think Dominants are able to bequeath a bit of their power to others?* So the reason Clive is able to fight with Phoenix's powers is because Joshua blessed him with it. And then his ability to copy others/force others to give it to him is first revealed after he fights Benedikta. Maybe.

*Chirada and Suparna might be this, and I think i read something to that effect at some point, is my only other proof I can think of at the moment

During the Garuda gameplay segment they previewed a while back, it shows him forcibly absorbing power from her in some way. But that might also be something different, since Clive himself (who is older in this scene) seems shocked at it. I think you're probably right that they can bequeath powers on people, and that's probably where Clive gets his abilities before later events (like him getting Ifrit).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think FFXVI will probably get a positive response largely on the basis of Soken alone. Music plays a huge role in getting a positive response from people. You can take a completely identical melodramatic scene, and whether the audience is moved by it or thinks it's cheesy might depend entirely upon the background music. I'd be curious to take some pivotal FF14 scenes and see how people react to them with the original soundtrack vs with some generic "control" soundtrack.

One thing I like about the FFXVI trailers is that it looks like the game will really lean into the melodrama. Like one of the trailers has a goofy part that just shows a bunch of people screaming. IMO "melodrama with good music" is the core of the final fantasy series, so I'll be happy as long as they provide lots of dramatic scenes with good music.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

It’s mandatory for continued employment? Or you’ll at least be punished for not attending? Cause gently caress that. I am taking a day off work to play FFXVI, possibly more if I haven’t finished the story yet, but FF games are not really that long unless it’s FF14.

I will gradually play FF16 over as long as possible. Hoping to get a full month out of it.

I'm envious of people who can actually enjoy doing an activity for that long. I haven't been able to enjoy anything that much sense my early 20s. Now all the stars have to align for 2-3 hours each day when I can enjoy doing something.

Mordiceius posted:

I should have been more clear in my wording. I am more so looking at how all of the games since FF12 have had so much baggage due to their ties to bigger/other things.

The only single player FF games that we've gotten that weren't remakes/remasters were part of Fabula Nova Crystallis that spiraled out of control.

The legacy of the crystals have shaped our history for long enough indeed.

The civilization of the Fallen was actually Cocoon from FF13

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 6, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I fully expect people to twist themselves into knots trying to explain how FF16 is totally one of the shards from FF14 because it uses the word aether.

Didn't someone literally make this exact argument in the FF thread (or something very similar)?

Edit: not based on the word aether, but IIRC they were arguing that all FF games existed within the 14 universe

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently some people suspect the demo might come tomorrow, but I'm still guessing this weekend.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tekne posted:

This is a soulless grimdark FF and I'm cancelling my pre-order.

Both of these characters will be traumatized. It is the contrast that makes it truly Grimdark.

In fact, we've already seen the dog be abused by Benedikta in promotional material.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arist posted:

tbf the dog abuses the hell out of benedikta in return

Perhaps this game will focus on cycles of abuse. That is the true hidden message of the preview content - the scene where Torgal and Benedikta abuse each other. Clive must break the chain and get them to be friends.

The game marketing makes you think it will be gritty and dark, but in reality Clive and Torgal will become friends with all the Dominants. They will even become friends with that one genocidal priest guy. At the the end of the game, they will all be playing fetch with Torgal.

Imagining the big Titan guy holding up Torgal like he's a pup, a big smile on his face.

edit: That gif of Jill and puppy Torgal, but it's Titan guy and grown-up Torgal

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 8, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I hope that the game itself gives itself "time to breath" and isn't just constantly trying to be a spectacle for the player.

Soken definitely has some patterns to the way he does this kind of music; there are multiple parts where I feel like the track could suddenly transition into an FF14 track. That's probably part of what lends it well to be used in different forms through the game, though. He's good at creating these memorable "core melodies."

Edit: Spotify says I need premium to listen to it, so I only got the part in the tweet :(

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 9, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, seems like I didn't miss much sense it just repeats (for the most part).

I kind of agree with what the other poster said, though I'd describe it as being a bit too "busy."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

its a really lovely heavily compressed upload

I'm not talking about that, but the actual composition. It's not bad by any means, but could use a little more variety in its dynamics.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cephas posted:

Find the Flame is cool, it's just kind of chunky. Soken's music really shines when it's played in context, so hearing this very motif-heavy piece out of context when the game has yet to release doesn't quite do it justice. Half of what makes his soundtracks so great is like, hearing the Amaurot theme in Shadowbringers, then hearing it reach its apex in To the Edge, then hearing it brought into a new dimension with Fleeting Moment. He's just really great at introducing a distinct theme and iterating and genre-bending it in wonderful ways.

This is a good way of explaining it.

The way I'd describe Soken's music is that he excels at creating "accompanying tracks for stories." I'd probably say Uematsu is a bit more enjoyable for listening to tracks by themselves, but Soken makes tracks that greatly enrich the scenes/fights in which those tracks are used.

I think his music is probably like 80% of why people respond so well to FF14's story. By itself, the story/plot is good but not really exceptional. But the music/presentation can make all the difference.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If the demo is released tomorrow, I wonder what time it will be released. Hopefully at a time when I can actually play it before going to bed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

No, unequip your armor if you feel the need to be more challenged I suppose.

If you wanna see the level of challenge the game has in some optional fights, you can see a more inexperienced player doing a fight here and a more experienced player doing the same fight here, both on a first playthrough.

The impression I get is that you can probably make things very easy on yourself if you're willing to just spend ages plinking at a boss with your ranged magic, but that there's risk in getting up close.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm lucky because this game seems to basically be embracing the stuff I like (cool visuals, good music, melodramatic plot) and getting rid of the things I don't really care about.

The only downside is that I prefer the weirder settings (and accompanying aesthetics) like FF8's or FF10's to "standard fantasy."

It seems like, aesthetics aside, 16 will be the most similar to FF10 in general structure, which is good since that's my favorite FF game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You guys will regret it when Square changes their mind and announces that only people who pre-ordered the game prior to June 11 will be able to finish the game.

Everyone else will encounter a door that can't be opened near the end, like one of those old anti-piracy measures.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

6 out of 16 is 'most'?

Also FFX's system is literally entirely different. It is turn-based and is built around you having the ability to manipulate the turn order. It's closer to Grandia than ATB.

Edit: To be clear "ATB" comes in two forms.
"ATB" as in the battle system was introduced in FFIV and used until FF9. Modified versions of it were used in various spinoffs but since this discussion is about how S-E has 'forgotten' what people like, I'm assuming those don't count and we're just discussing mainline.

Several games use the term "ATB" to represent a meter filling over time mechanic but it isn't the ATB combat system. Parasite Eve, FFXIII and FFVIIR all use ATB this way for example but I somehow doubt FFVIIR 'counts' despite that. It's just reusing the term, but FFXIII for example uses the Command Synergy System and is pretty different from standard ATB. (You can take action before bars are full, you can instantly refill with timed swaps, actions take up chunks of your bar instead of it just representing an action, etc.)

More than all this stuff about turn-based/ATB (since I can at least understand classifying those games as all being fundamentally more "passive RPG-ish" than FF16), the thing that confuses me about those opinions is that FF has never really been known for "having a deep/complex and rewarding battle system"! When people talk about their favorite FF games, they usually aren't commenting on how amazing and stimulating their RPG combat was!

When I think back to FF games' role in pop culture (at least at its height), it was always primarily about the characters/art/music. Stuff like people speculating about the plot or cosplaying as the characters. The main key defining factor was always, as others have mentioned, the "vibes" (or, more specifically, the net impact of the art/music/characters/etc). That was the main thing distinguishing it from other JRPGs of the era - it certainly wasn't that FF games had better mechanics! They were instead "the very long RPG with the really distinct art/music."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

incorporeal posted:

Excited to play ff16 in like a week and a half and not think about what a final fantasy game should or shouldn’t be.

FF16 will begin with a quiz about the fundamental nature of FF games, and if you answer wrong you won't be able to play it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Watching this livestream. It's thundering heavily outside so I hope I don't lose my power in the middle of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol I lost my power like 5 minutes after posting about it, but fortunately can watch on phone

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao, apparently some pole was completely destroyed in this storm, so probably won't have power for at least the next 24+ hours. Guess I'll (hopefully) be able to try the demo in a couple days.

Edit: lol not one, but at least three telephone poles. God drat. At least it's not winter like last time I lost power for multiple days.

Also they're not doing anything until tomorrow because it's Sunday

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 12, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Finally playing the demo now that my power is back.

One thing I'm happy about is that dodging is more difficult than it looked in the preview content (at least for me). It seems like I'll actually want to make use of that training mode to get familiar with enemies' moves. I also haven't been able to figure out the parry timing yet (but I've only tried it against the Morbol - I'll probably have more opportunities to try this stuff out in the combat demo).

The only downside I've noticed is that the performance seems a bit iffy outside of combat and cutscenes (which are both fine). When I rotate the camera it feels a bit stutter-y, espcially in places like the castle area with all the NPCs. It also seems like there's some sort of motion blur that can't be turned off. Not a huge deal though since it doesn't seem to impact combat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So this intro seems to make some plot stuff pretty obvious that couldn't be easily inferred from the trailers (I don't think I'd seen anyone speculate it was the case anyway). They did a pretty good job of hiding that from us.

(I still can't figure out parries. Final boss from the story part of the demo seemed to be a good chance to experiment, but instead I just almost got myself killed. The perfect dodges are comparatively easier to pull off.)

edit: I really hope they add an option to turn off this motion blur. It's actually starting to give me a bit of a headache when I rotate the camera.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 12, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the dog controls may have been a mistake. It's good that you get a way to make his actions automatic (though at the cost of an accessory slot), but I feel like it'll always be kind of unintuitive to try and split your focus between the dog's behavior and all the stuff Clive has to manage himself. And because of the way his abilities (or at least the attacks) have no cooldown, it seems optimal to be just hitting up or down on the d-pad constantly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I still can't figure out parry timing. Does anyone have a good idea it works? I've done it a couple times by complete accident, but never when I'm trying to do it.

HD DAD posted:

People over on Twitter and Reddit are confirming the demo is an old build. Demo is v.1.01 and apparently they were playing v.1.03 last night at the XVI event. So maybe performance has already been smoothed over.

That'd be great if so. It's definitely very noticeable in pretty much all non-combat stuff, so hopefully it's better in the later build.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Torgal control issues aside, I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the combat being more difficult than I expected. I absolutely ate poo poo against Garuda the first time (though part of that is because I was constantly trying to do perfect dodges instead of just playing it safe and avoiding attacks by running around).

Something that wasn't as clear from the preview videos is that you can't just dodge over and over again, and the time window is small enough (even after I upgraded it in the skill interface - btw everyone should remember to do that during the Eikonic challenge mode - you can also try out an extra skill for each Eikon) that you really have to pay attention. Titan block also isn't perfect, since a non-perfect block against boss attacks seems to usually stagger you (so any sort of combo will hit you on the follow-ups).

edit: I feel like in practice the way I'm going to end up playing this is to have one Eikon form that is my "main regular fighting one" (with a circle ability that I like) and to just cycle through all of them blowing all their cooldowns whenever they're available. Dynamically switching to use specific skills seems like it'll be a bit much for my brain to handle (outside of situations like "boss is about to shoot a projectile, so switch to Phoenix for the anti-projectile thing").

(Tbh, part of me wishes you were limited to two, since with just two you don't have to keep track of which form you're using. While I'm sure you can get familiar with the specific order you choose, part of my brain will always have to think about things like "if I want to change back to _____ I need to hit L2 twice vs once.")

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 13, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

What I found myself doing was having an "aggressive" setup, a "Will breaking" setup and a "big loving hits" setup. For the first I pretty much always used Phoenix, Will breaking has multiple choices but Titan and Garuda are both good in different ways, and Big loving Hits was whatever I had that could deal the biggest damage during Break periods. (Usually one of the more cinematic attacks.)

It's kind of hard to just settle on one 'selection' though since there are a ton of different options.

I did the same in terms of "boss vs trash mobs" (since it doesn't seem to make sense to use the AoE abilities against a boss when you can instead use something like the counter-focused abilities). But I was thinking more in terms of how often I switch Eikon forms during combat. The way I mostly did it was to stick to one where I liked the O attack (I ended up like the Phoenix one for the mobility, and it seems more reliable in general to "move yourself to an enemy" than the other way around), and once abilities were off cool-down I'd just swap through all 3 forms and blow all their cooldowns. With the main exception to this being "when a boss is getting close-ish to being broken" (since I want all of them up for that).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Feel like I was having trouble with the combat system when just fighting groups of mobs. It was during the last boss fight in the trial was where I really got the combat. I feel like the boss fights will be where this game really shines.

Yeah, with trash mobs it doesn't feel possible to do much with things like dodging/parrying. The best approach I could find seemed to be "just aggressively destroy them with your Eikon skills."

The bosses are good because you can pay attention to them specifically.

(btw I still don't understand parrying - if someone figured out how to do that, let me know, because it's bugging me that I could never figure out what it wants out of the timing)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just to make sure I wasn't missing something, the game is very strongly implying that Clive himself turned into Ifrit and killed his brother, right? Like there's stuff from the previews that seemingly contradicts that (namely Benedicta/Waloed having the "Dominant of Fire" in their custody), but I'm not sure how else to explain Clive collapsing instantly before Ifrit appears and somehow being present for Ifrit killing his brother - seen through a filter similar to Joshua's when he was Phoenix - plus the firy guy/hooded guy seemingly being someone who only Clive could see

Detective No. 27 posted:

Clive’s mom is a bitch.

Wrong - clearly she was simply unhappy with the way Rosalia treated its slaves.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 13, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

The good mom to evil mom ratio in final fantasy is actually pretty even isnt it? Trying to think of which moms there are. Aerith had a good mom, and Hope had a tough mom. Garnet had evil mom, and now we have Clive. Am I missing anyone though?

Tidus's mom kind of sucked and apparently just stopped parenting after his dad left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Nah I think he's her son,. it's just that she's so wrapped up in the Rosarian noble bullshit that she cares nothing for Clive or Edwin and even only cares about Joshua so far as his existence means "everything is in its rightful place".

I don't think it's even a Rosarian noble thing since she's apparently working with Sanbreque. It sounds like she cared so much about Joshua because it was a long-con to get the Phoenix for Sanbreque (since the soldiers wanted to get him alive, and this makes sense since she'd be able to communicate to them "he's easy to get since he can't transform").