Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

KazigluBey posted:

Telling people to knock it off and tolling them if they don't ONLY ever makes them post more. Moderation has never worked, not once.

Guess we shouldn't moderate anything, ever.

harsh punishments for very mild trolling cause the trolling to escalate because its funny. this is why threadbans dont work because they can be easily exploited to make the mod who handed them out look stupid when they start probing and banning people for innocuous posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

pacerwpg posted:

Valuable discussion about the future of gbs, don't miss out on gems like 'not enough emptyposting':

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036781

Yeah, please give your input.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Threadbans for one dude who made two posts in the thread and one who made three seems... Uh.. Not good?

You wanna punish people trolling, go for it, but seriously? "Every post you make in this thread from now on will cost you $10" seems way overboard and more like trying to continue the forum wars bullshit that keeps dragging this place down.

GBS posters didn't break into their houses and force them at knifepoint to type out several discrete troll posts in the feedback thread, after being told not to by the mods. You're acting like posters have no agency, that this is somehow everyone elses fault for the posters poor decisions. Why you think mods punishing poo poo behaviour is "forums warfare" is incredibly bizarre too.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
So here's the situation

In terms of threadbans, I'd refer you to the rules of this thread, specifically the one about non-GBS regulars who come in here. All are welcome to give advice, but it's explicitly laid out that threadshitters get hit hard. This is literally the only thread in here where I want to keep it semi-civil and try to work out disagreements or explain what's happening without the usual suspects going around doing their thing

For the probes, we had those queued days ago and just today an admin decided to run the queue. If there was nothing queued up then I definitely would not have gone back and hit those posts after the fact. I'm not a fan of going back and hitting older posts (unless they're egregious). Ours wasn't the only one backed up; there were a lot in the queue

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

GBS posters didn't break into their houses and force them at knifepoint to type out several discrete troll posts in the feedback thread, after being told not to by the mods. You're acting like posters have no agency, that this is somehow everyone elses fault for the posters poor decisions. Why you think mods punishing poo poo behaviour is "forums warfare" is incredibly bizarre too.

When people make bad posts other people will show up to mock them. That is how this forum has always worked. If you don't want your bad posts to be mocked the solution is to make good posts instead, not get insanely mad and cry to a mod to make them unable to mock you again.

Seth giving into this drivel is perfectly emblematic of the problem with gbs, namely that it's become a walled garden of its own weird subcommunity that treats everyone else as outsiders rather than being the general discussion subforum for everyone who posts on SA.

In short, gbs is aids.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

pacerwpg posted:

Valuable discussion about the future of gbs, don't miss out on gems like 'not enough emptyposting':

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036781

Sigh

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Fajita Queen posted:

Seth giving into this drivel

Big GBS forcing moderators to moderate, pressuring them against their will.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Fajita Queen posted:

When people make bad posts other people will show up to mock them. That is how this forum has always worked. If you don't want your bad posts to be mocked the solution is to make good posts instead, not get insanely mad and cry to a mod to make them unable to mock you again.

Seth giving into this drivel is perfectly emblematic of the problem with gbs, namely that it's become a walled garden of its own weird subcommunity that treats everyone else as outsiders rather than being the general discussion subforum for everyone who posts on SA.

In short, gbs is aids.

i think it says a lot i get a more hostile and weird reaction from very mild trolling in gbs than i do any other forum on this website lol

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Don't post like assholes and things will be fine. The mods are empowered to be our will, and what they feel is rear end in a top hat posting will be accepted as just. Tell a joke, post about this cool hobby or thing that happened to you, and finally, when all else fails, poo poo your pants. That's GBS folks. Lots of other subs to post by their own rules as well.

We are really loving bored to have this argument. Again. Over and over.

Look I'm sorry twitter is dying, I miss when it was fun as well.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

oh no not the troll posters barbara streisand effect

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

Deciding to punish perceived "regulars" and perceived "outsiders" differently is exactly forums warfare, yes.

We're all loving goons. We all paid our :10bux: not to only post in TFF or YOSPOS or YLLS exclusively, we paid to post everywhere and that should be encouraged. Joke-rear end posts from someone that you've decided is an drat outsider and therefore a troll should absolutely not be treated differently than joke-rear end posts from someone you view as a regular and is just and adorable scamp.

If Seth wants to hit threadshitters hard, that's fine, but make it the same for everyone.

We're all loving goons here. Christ.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think it says a lot i get a more hostile and weird reaction from very mild trolling in gbs than i do any other forum on this website lol

try SHSC

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

It’s because you suck poo poo op

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Deciding to punish perceived "regulars" and perceived "outsiders" differently is exactly forums warfare, yes.

We're all loving goons. We all paid our :10bux: not to only post in TFF or YOSPOS or YLLS exclusively, we paid to post everywhere and that should be encouraged. Joke-rear end posts from someone that you've decided is an drat outsider and therefore a troll should absolutely not be treated differently than joke-rear end posts from someone you view as a regular and is just and adorable scamp.

If Seth wants to hit threadshitters hard, that's fine, but make it the same for everyone.

We're all loving goons here. Christ.

I think many people's problem is the massively inconsistent moderation and punishments across different forums (which might come to a head in the "general" forum) but I'm not a forums genius

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It’s because you suck poo poo op

Oh?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Who did Seth fail to prob for threadshitting the feedback thread? Is the proposed lore that only the perceived "outsiders" were probed and the "regulars" not?

Or is the comparison between the probs here and the lack of probs in other threads? Because if so then lol.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Yeah man. Like your normal posts in the chat thread are fine but your smug trolling gimmick loving sucks. Like I know you don’t give a poo poo about the “direction of GBS” but you just love tugging your tiny lonely dick to causing unnecessary drama because you’re a sad piece of poo poo with nothing better to do.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

Who did Seth fail to prob for threadshitting the feedback thread? Is the proposed lore that only the perceived "outsiders" were probed and the "regulars" not?

Or is the comparison between the probs here and the lack of probs in other threads? Because if so then lol.

Punishing "outsiders" more harshly than "regulars" is literally in the rules in the OP

Is an non-regular posting :gas: that much more egregious than a regular posting "Make me a mod, why not done?" a lot? They're both threadshitting in their own ways.

EDIT: Is this

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah man. Like your normal posts in the chat thread are fine but your smug trolling gimmick loving sucks. Like I know you don’t give a poo poo about the “direction of GBS” but you just love tugging your tiny lonely dick to causing unnecessary drama because you’re a sad piece of poo poo with nothing better to do.

Better or worse than two posts saying "AIDS"?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

rodbeard posted:

Yeah it does seem like things had run its course and going back and hitting a handful of posts from a couple of days ago is just going to make people want to show up to see what's going on.

if someone is obsessing over the LC feed to the point that they have to go and investigate and then decide to throw down in support of their troll buddies and show solidarity by getting probed for the exact same thing maybe they should take a step back and log off from the forums for a while because that's not why GBS exists

edit: the probe is actually just basically a forced version of that, in fact. so I think we've found a winning solution. topic closed. oops, i mean - topic locked.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 16, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Cthulu Carl posted:

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It's better.

"Is a post rudely but substantively telling a shitposter to gently caress off better than single-word shitposts?" is a weird track to try.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

i've given multiple posts containing sincere feedback about both gbs and the forums in general sorry if this makes you upset and causes you to project your issues onto me

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This is overly heated, but honestly, anyone who trolls, or talks about how great it is when someone else trolls is just sort of sad to watch. I don't get riled up by it or anything, it's just a bummer to see people who I have to assume are in their 30s or 40s posting specifically to annoy people. It's toddler brain poo poo, so it really doesn't strike me as any great loss to thread ban people who consistently do it. It's just as easy to ignore them, admittedly, but :shrug: either way.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i've given multiple posts containing sincere feedback about both gbs and the forums in general sorry if this makes you upset and causes you to project your issues onto me

And your “sincere” feedback didn’t get probated so then what’s your problem?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

It's better.

"Is a post rudely but substantively telling a shitposter to gently caress off better than single-word shitposts?" is a weird track to try.

In a thread meant for feedback for a forum, how are they different?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cthulu Carl posted:

Punishing "outsiders" more harshly than "regulars" is literally in the rules in the OP

Is an non-regular posting :gas: that much more egregious than a regular posting "Make me a mod, why not done?" a lot? They're both threadshitting in their own ways.

One or two posts saying “aids”? Nah who cares. 10 of their posting pals trolling a thread repeatedly with the same poo poo sucks.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Cthulu Carl posted:

General poo poo posting is frowned on, but apparently tolerated to a point. Trolling isn't. The differentiation seems pretty cut and dry, but is there a specific post you want to litigate?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I was overweight and looked terrible. But AYDS helped me lose 46 pounds!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Slugworth posted:

This is overly heated, but honestly, anyone who trolls, or talks about how great it is when someone else trolls is just sort of sad to watch. I don't get riled up by it or anything, it's just a bummer to see people who I have to assume are in their 30s or 40s posting specifically to annoy people. It's toddler brain poo poo, so it really doesn't strike me as any great loss to thread ban people who consistently do it. It's just as easy to ignore them, admittedly, but :shrug: either way.

I'm in my 20s

e: didnt realize there was a long post timeout so I couldnt doublepost lmao:

tbh I love to post about how cringe gbs and seth are but both gbs and seth and like, fine. I think the culture of the forum could maybe be improved more if threads didn't go on for a bajillion pages. It would be less impenetrable to outsiders. Also if more like, frequent threads were encouraged so people felt more comfortable making threads in the general discussion board it'd be cool. I think a lot of the things I don't like about GBS just stem from threads going on too long so it feels like a series of chat threads instead of an actual general discussion board

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 16, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Cthulu Carl posted:

The first occurred after mods made it clear that it was time to move on and further posts would be actioned. The second did not.

White noise posts and posts telling the white noise posters they are not wanted are not the same thing.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I'll admit I can probably be a bit more even-handed in dishing poo poo out in this thread. It's not that I consciously do it, it's just I see it I hit it and what I perceive as trolling may be different between posters I know and posters I don't because I know people's posting styles.

The reason that rule's there is because I wanted people to feel like they could give their opinion even if they weren't a regular of this forum but I also wanted to make clear that threadshitting isn't allowed. I'm absolutely happy to modify it though so it's more even-handed and less "us vs. them". In retrospect, I admit that it probably causes more problems than I meant it to.

If I miss someone you think is threadshitting, absolutely let me know. PM me, send a report, whatever. I don't care if they're a regular or not, I don't always see it. If you see something, say something. I'm open to feedback on anything and I do respond to PMs.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Fajita Queen posted:

i see a lot of hyperbole from you every time you post feedback. gbs is obviously not a walled garden. of course people who post here often recognize others who do the same, and also notice when people who don't post here that often show up out of the blue. every subforum has regulars and tourists, and that's fine. mods aren't stalking every thread and nailing any name they don't recognize to the wall. they aren't even doing it in this thread, it just happens that several posters in that category came here specifically to troll and caught probes for it. if your friends can't stop themselves from breaking thread rules, that's their problem. the mods are doing their job. in fact i hate to say it, but i think the gbs mods are actually doing a good job lately.

this thread in particular is a drama magnet and it's pretty obvious when people who don't post in gbs much suddenly take an outsized interest over very minor issues like someone calling the goversub thread aids. feel free to hem and haw about free speech, the right to troll, or subforum prejudice all you want, but i'm pretty sure everyone sees right through it. if you just follow drama around for its own sake, go away or don't act surprised when you get probed for exaggerated, disingenuous takes.

there's no issue here to fix. 16bbh is already back to posting gay jokes in the goversub thread. maybe if it gets too annoying, he'll get another probe for it. the threadshitters itt deserved their probes, they were warned. it's admirable that they stick to their bit, go ahead and light a candle for them. you can rest assured that as admin pets, nothing bad will happen to stux or arf, they'll be back every 1 to 3 days to post their next epic troll in a gay thread that is failing aidslike.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Buschmaki posted:

I'm in my 20s
Posting here in your 20s is way more deranged than anything else man, don't admit to that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slugworth posted:

General poo poo posting is frowned on, but apparently tolerated to a point. Trolling isn't. The differentiation seems pretty cut and dry, but is there a specific post you want to litigate?

I mean I thought I made my point pretty clear

Cthulu Carl posted:

You wanna punish people trolling, go for it, but seriously? "Every post you make in this thread from now on will cost you $10" seems way overboard and more like trying to continue the forum wars bullshit that keeps dragging this place down.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Cthulu Carl posted:

I don't really see any of that as controversial

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

why can't we give equal probation and threadban justice to the forum hopping randos posting "fail gayds" and literally nothing else you guys. I'm truly concerned.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'll admit I can probably be a bit more even-handed in dishing poo poo out in this thread. It's not that I consciously do it, it's just I see it I hit it and what I perceive as trolling may be different between posters I know and posters I don't because I know people's posting styles.

The reason that rule's there is because I wanted people to feel like they could give their opinion even if they weren't a regular of this forum but I also wanted to make clear that threadshitting isn't allowed. I'm absolutely happy to modify it though so it's more even-handed and less "us vs. them". In retrospect, I admit that it probably causes more problems than I meant it to.

If I miss someone you think is threadshitting, absolutely let me know. PM me, send a report, whatever. I don't care if they're a regular or not, I don't always see it. If you see something, say something. I'm open to feedback on anything and I do respond to PMs.

sorry about your thread, op

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

can you still say "tuggin" in this forum, i thought there were some bad memories with that word

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

sorry about your thread, op

Eh it is what it is

Anyway, I think we're gonna have to consider some additional rules, especially on personal attacks because that seems to be a flash point at the moment

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think the threadbans are a bad idea both because thread bans traditionally dont work outside the politics forums and because its just going to bringing negative attention down onto the thread and gbs causing even more trolling the probes coming days later even if it was because of an admin needing to approve them is also not a good look .

it's true

if someone makes a rule and I don't agree with it, I'm going to want to break that rule even if its something I'd normally never do

personally id actually stopped calling stuff gay or aids entirely irl and online for years until people started crusaidsing against it on here, now i live for that poo poo

Toxic Mental posted:

why can't we give equal probation and threadban justice to the forum hopping randos posting "fail gayds" and literally nothing else you guys. I'm truly concerned.
that's how you encourage it

nobody would have done anything if people didn't massively overreact to it, the overreaction is what draws it in

u attract more aids with vinegar than with honey

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

threadbans are a good tool to solve a specific type of problem, and the people who say they aren't are most likely that specific type of problem

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Bad Purchase posted:

threadbans are a good tool to solve a specific type of problem, and the people who say they aren't are most likely that specific type of problem

could you say what that specific problem is? otherwise this seems like bad faith over-generalising of every poster who thinks they are bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FirstnameLastname posted:

if someone makes a rule and I don't agree with it, I'm going to want to break that rule even if its something I'd normally never do
Yeah, I see a lot of, like, oppositional defiance being the snag point here.

I think, as others have said before, that the repeated going to bat for the right to say those things is kind of weird, as is the sense that if you don't personally like the rule it's dumb and fail and deserves to be a mocking point?