Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
So before the recent "exit, pursued by a bear" of SPR, Captain Sarcastic had agreed to look at updating the GBS rules to handle misogynistic abuse on par with other forms of abuse like ableism, racism, etc.

Hopefully that won't be lost in the recent drama.

Another rather weird thing is the return of calling posts/posters/things to be "aids" or "totally aids". Having grown up in the 1980s and knowing a number of people who became HIV+ with some dying of it, it seems *really* weird to see it tossed around casually 40 years later as an insult. It was homophobic back then, and it sure doesn't seem to be any less today.

My gut feeling is that "aids" is being used where those posters would previously say "retarded", but with SA taking steps to stop ableist insults, they can't any more. Like how Freep started saying "Amish" for their usual terms for PoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Uh, was the "aids insults are homophobic" suddenly discussed in the mod forum today?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

bbc is mad as hell at all times :xd:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Bring back dpph

"Take it outside" not "take it out"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Arnie Lerma, who registered and posted here because of Clambake, shot his wife twice in the face and she survived, fled the home and then he committed suicide by gunshot in 2018.

Maybe don't gently caress around with scientology.

Aw, gently caress, Arnie. I was involved in matters back in the mid-90s, with the protests around Lisa M.'s death and the whole OT publishing online. Arnie seemed a bit of a crack-pot the way he posted in a.r.s (alt. religion.scientology), but he was a big source of information about the cult.

The cult has a few photos of me and friends taken by some SeaOrg flunky, so while it's been nearly 30 years, no stories from this SP4.

Poor little clams, snap, snap, snap.

I mock up my reactive mind.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Has VvG ever done anything but bitch and moan

Versiculos in me narratur scribere Cinna:
Non scribit, cuius carmina nemo legit.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Valko posted:

Sláinte maith, mo chara agus bíodh lá maith agat!

Bu mhath leam a chomharrachadh gu bheil cuid de sgrìobhadairean a’ diùltadh fios air ais a sgrìobhadh san fhòram seo ach sgrìobhadh ann an SAD na àite leis nach eil earbsa aca anns na modaireatairean.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

The recent issue of Power Khan failing to tag NWS stuff was raised in SAD because of a stated distrust of GBS mods. While not disputing their eventual punishment, something is amiss if posters skip the designated GBS Feedback thread and run off to SAD first.

(Edited to remove silly stuff)

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 7, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Anime Seth *is* blood, yesssss.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Nooner posted:

The sequel to beans is a good name lol

:gas:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

I would like it to be easier to post pictures of our cats.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

??? i agreed with sprs permaban. see this is the exact problem i'm talking lol you think i'm in cahoots with spr when in reality i barely knew her lol

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Same av he's always had

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Nooner posted:

Roll the dice to see if I poo poo my pants

:itwaspoo:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Peace offering: Mr. Carrot

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Here is some feedback:

The Ukraine war thread has been doing very well under the new system and new rules. The ramping probations for drive-by trolling looks to be effective. This is working out well and hope to see it continue

I think this was what, the third iteration of the rules drama, and basically nothing's substantially changed, the last kerfuffle I recall was failing to tag a NWS post that would have been dinged months ago under prior rules. I suppose ramp probing the trollpatrol has gone a long way towards things quieting down, so that's a positive change overall.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

...it's a trick, get an axe.

But don't be a maniac

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yeah but the place to post forums issues sucks.

Formulate a complaint then ask for six with that as a reason. Poof, feedback in the LC itself

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

the largest goon should be in charge, period

Rip zergling minor

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

There is a SAD thread on GBS moderation in case those of you who refuse to go there care to participate.

A thread where the op ends with

quote:

admin TLD, free larry, free synthy

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

he posted in fyad

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

Add me as IK of something idk

How about this thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916439&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Someone give me his username for the love of God!

Montressor

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You're all about to be :sweep:

Given a handy by Mickey Mouse?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Solefald posted:

I will personally block any attempts to have him banned from this forum :colbert:

Okay, but *you* have to feed him and brush him and clean up his messes when he poops in the thread. Otherwise he has to go back to the bad place.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

haha lmao aids that's amazing, quality trolling hahaha

Apparently it's only people over a certain age who remember how *utterly* homophobic using AIDS as an insult was.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You can also just not post in forums you hate.

You may not have noticed the problem isn't "the forums you hate", but "the psychos who post there".

The only good thing about the really hardcore rage-posters is they pretty much end up permabanned when they repeatedly are unable to understand that they actually need to follow some simple posting rules. They get their inevitable ramp up to a lifetime achievement perma, and mostly, SA moves on, and average post rage ticks down a tiny notch.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Solefald posted:

Issues with using "aids" is fair enough to discuss and I encourage folk to share their opinion on it. I don't like it but I'm also not a huge fan of word filter moderation (see: cuntgate lol).

It's been a homophobic slur from the 80s. Having been alive and known about it as I was studying microbiology and the outbreak of weird diseases like Kaposi's and Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in young, healthy gay males where it was first called GRID - Gay-Related Immune Disorder. The politics of getting the Reagan administration to fund research into HIV because it was literally "a gay disease"... you can't just handwave away decades of the history of the term. If you're okay with calling something "gay" as a slur then I suppose calling it "totally AIDS" or the like is not a problem.

Before someone says it's no different from calling something "cancer", doing so is just profoundly ignoring the history of linking AIDS with gay men for decades, versus the utter lack of cancer having the same history.

That there's an article on Discrimination against HIV

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_people_with_HIV/AIDS

I don't think cancer comes with anything like this stigma. Although Sontag wrote on cancer link

Edit: I should say anyone young enough to have missed the history of HIV in the 80s and 90s and thinks nothing of casually using the term should educate themselves about it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_the_United_States#Public_perception

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 9, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

itry posted:

Describing posts/threads as aids/cancer is incredibly dumb and has never been funny or clever and I can't believe it's still being done.

Again, some posters stake their identity on being edgy or transgressive ("... and the mods can't stop me!"), and they're frequently the loudest protestors when *their* particular ox is gored.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

The mods? A trifle!!

Catspaws and bagatelles, p'shaw.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

UKJeff posted:

That was 40 years ago, nobody thinks this way anymore

link to UNAIDS Zero Discrimination Day 2023.

link to HRC common myths about HIV where #1 is 'its a gay disease' from January 2023. People still think it.

There's still stigma attached to being HIV+. Try Googling "HIV stigma", you get plenty of hits from 2023.

Tons of links talk about negative perceptions of HIV in different groups in the USA.

If you want UK-specific links, just Google. example

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 9, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Waiting to see the reasoned argument that "aids" isn't homophobic anymore. Otherwise banish it to the pink forums where that sort of stuff is tolerated like it's still the mid-2000s.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 9, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why people from other forums find prospective GBS rules to be an existential threat is beyond me. It's very odd.

There's a history of certain posters being heavily invested in their 'right' to use slurs, to the point of eating a permaban.

I can understand posters from the slur-bearing forums wanting to keep them that way, and seeing GBS moving on from 2000s-era posting standards possibly worries them.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

ok but you keep gliding past this post while probing ppl

which is actual homophobic posting about posters

link to backstory

Okay, that's a weird one. White politician apparently quotes Patti LaBelle's adopted son who is a Trump supporting black guy, without attribution.

Edit: boy a lot of people sure jumped to conclusions here while I Googled :rubby:

Click the link, it's your morning dose of crazy

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 10, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

the post is actually offensive if you think about it, which I try not to do for terrible posts

It's an accusation that some posters are being disingenuous, I suppose. In D&D that's a paddlin', but saying "I don't think all of this outrage is unfeigned" can hardly be considered particularly notoriously controversial here in GBS. Look at the posters just now claiming that I'm obviously "concern trolling" or otherwise pretending to be outraged, I don't demand they be punished.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Also, its pretty pathetic to poo poo up a thread, repeatedly catch probes for lazy trolling and then act sanctimonious becsuse a post got edited.

Or act sanctimonious for getting probed for lazy trolling in the first place.

But that's a huge part of their posting style so it's not like they're going to stop... feedback is to ramp the troll-toll if they've been warned

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

No, it just means that not everybody is an avid SAD reader and knows about every single outrage that is brought up there.

The habit of posters running to complain about GBS in SAD, bypassing the forum-specific dedicated feedback thread would also be an issue.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

:allears:

I gotta say I do admire the fact that you come to this thread rather than take potshots from the peanut gallery. It's an admirable trait.

Gotta post if you're trying to score more IK/mod belt notches. He's the mod-killer, after all.

Of course then the only sane thing for an IK or mod to do once they're in Arf's bad books is threadban him for trolling. And/or ramp the poo poo out of him.

No man, no problem. Stalin would approve.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Peggy Edson posted:

hmm well poo poo.

It helps if you were alive in the early 80s, even more so if you were studying microbiology and your instructor used to subscribe to the CDC's newsletters and read to the class about this weird new outbreak of diseases in young, healthy gay men, that normally only appeared in old Italian men (Kaposi's sarcoma) and immunocompromised (PCP, Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia). They called it GRID. The virus was LAV or HTLV-3.

Later, they called it HIV and AIDS. Also, later still, came treatments. In the mean time however it was basically a death sentence no matter what you called it. Yeah, I remember.

https://circulatingnow.nlm.nih.gov/2021/06/04/june-5-1981-the-first-report-of-aids-in-the-u-s/

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

harsh and weird punishments to what is just very mild trolling doesnt work and just causes the trolling to escalate

then ramp them, or it turns into a shithole like QCS did