Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
feedback: if you would like your feedback thread to stay on topic and stop derailing you need to 6er the people doing it. that means everyone shitposting not just the ones perceived as outsiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

CaptainSarcastic posted:

become posting about posters, and we don't need either of those things.

ok but you keep gliding past this post while probing ppl

Cousin Todd posted:

Some of the arguments in defense of using gay/aids as an insult here read an awful lot like this tweet to me.

which is actual homophobic posting about posters

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Saying stuff louder and angrier doesn't make it any more true. People taking a hyperbolic read on that post is not helping anyone, and I would suggest you stop.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

how did you interpret that post though? is there any other way to read it than an accusation that someone is stealing gay valor?

i think whoever called it the most homophobic thing ever posted was exaggerating for sure, but it’s still a lovely thing that was posted and people are rightfully annoyed about it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Cousin Todd posted:

Some of the arguments in defense of using gay/aids as an insult here read an awful lot like this tweet to me.

this post is aids, the argumenti s retarded, and you're also probably a oval office. good day

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Saying stuff louder and angrier doesn't make it any more true. People taking a hyperbolic read on that post is not helping anyone, and I would suggest you stop.

i would suggest pivoting from tone policing and gaslighting over what that post states and how it was taken. there's no explaining letting it fly but proving replies to it that is charitable

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It is saying that people who they did not agree with on this issue are pretending to be gay in order to win the argument. It's genuinely much more homophobic than describing threads as "gay"

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
thinking someone is pretending to be gay isn't homophobic. try again

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

link to backstory

Okay, that's a weird one. White politician apparently quotes Patti LaBelle's adopted son who is a Trump supporting black guy, without attribution.

Edit: boy a lot of people sure jumped to conclusions here while I Googled :rubby:

Click the link, it's your morning dose of crazy

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 10, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

how did you interpret that post though? is there any other way to read it than an accusation that someone is stealing gay valor?

i think whoever called it the most homophobic thing ever posted was exaggerating for sure, but it’s still a lovely thing that was posted and people are rightfully annoyed about it

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

i would suggest pivoting from tone policing and gaslighting over what that post states and how it was taken. there's no explaining letting it fly but proving replies to it that is charitable

Considering the genesis of the whole thing was people making a frenzied argument that using "gay" and "AIDS" is something that must absolutely be defended changes the equation somewhat. Pivoting to a strident condemnation of that post appears disingenuous considering the starting point. While the post in question is not one I would say is good, I read it more as a response to weird bad faith arguments being made. This whole thing began because some people are very upset that low-effort trolling might potentially be curtailed in GBS. Potentially. In GBS.

So no, I didn't hit that post, because people are getting mad about deeply stupid things to begin with.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Considering the genesis of the whole thing was people making a frenzied argument that using "gay" and "AIDS" is something that must absolutely be defended changes the equation somewhat. Pivoting to a strident condemnation of that post appears disingenuous considering the starting point. While the post in question is not one I would say is good, I read it more as a response to weird bad faith arguments being made. This whole thing began because some people are very upset that low-effort trolling might potentially be curtailed in GBS. Potentially. In GBS.

So no, I didn't hit that post, because people are getting mad about deeply stupid things to begin with.

if a member of an affected community says something is genuinely offensive, your job isn't to smear them as untrustworthy

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

the post is actually offensive if you think about it, which I try not to do for terrible posts

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

the post is actually offensive if you think about it, which I try not to do for terrible posts

It's an accusation that some posters are being disingenuous, I suppose. In D&D that's a paddlin', but saying "I don't think all of this outrage is unfeigned" can hardly be considered particularly notoriously controversial here in GBS. Look at the posters just now claiming that I'm obviously "concern trolling" or otherwise pretending to be outraged, I don't demand they be punished.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’m gonna drop it after this, everything that needs to be said has been said and mods can handle it

but this:

Schweinhund posted:

thinking someone is pretending to be gay isn't homophobic. try again

isn’t quite right, it’s patronizing to assume all lgbtq folks think in lockstep on whether it’s ok to call things gay, homo, etc and so the only explanation must be that they’re fake

it may not stem from hate but it is definitely biased thinking. it’s also just rude to tell someone they aren’t what they identify as. even without the homophobia aspect i still think it’s a paranoid and mean post which doesn’t belong in the feedback thread.

can’t wait to get back to shitposting, look what 16 bit butthead hath wrought with just two posts in the sub thread, all these serious posts and sky is falling poo poo. the guy is a menace :argh:

seth in heaven, forgive us

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
To me it just seems like they were saying the argument sounded fake because it was so ridiculous, like that tweet. The argument being that you cant come out against gay slurs unless you donate to gay charities. So it was his way of saying the argument sounded ridiculous, which it was IMO.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

For what it's worth, I haven't closed the report on that post so it will get more eyes on it. I just find that in the context of people arguing that calling people/posts/threads "gay" and "AIDS" is NOT homophobic I have a hard time seeing that post as needing to immediately get hit. Another mod might disagree, and that's fine, but I happen to have been the only one around most of the day.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For what it's worth, I haven't closed the report on that post so it will get more eyes on it. I just find that in the context of people arguing that calling people/posts/threads "gay" and "AIDS" is NOT homophobic I have a hard time seeing that post as needing to immediately get hit. Another mod might disagree, and that's fine, but I happen to have been the only one around most of the day.

you are right, we need to look at each offending post out of context of who uses it and instead whether they pass your online sincerity test

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

you are right, we need to look at each offending post out of context of who uses it and instead whether they pass your online sincerity test

I have no idea what this means, but okay.

Since I do seem to be the only mod around, I think I'm going to go ahead and close the thread for the night and either me or someone else can reopen it tomorrow, all bright eyed and bushy tailed.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this can probably be reopened

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My GBS feedback is that Solefald seems like a decent mod, here's hoping the rest of them learn from example.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lmao

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

feedback: if you would like your feedback thread to stay on topic and stop derailing you need to 6er the people doing it. that means everyone shitposting not just the ones perceived as outsiders

Weiner

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

lol

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

I learn so much from goons.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

drat someone actually managed to make this funny!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i accidentally clicked on the great outdoors what bozo put gbs as #2 in the forums list. this is main

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
this thread much like gbs is fail aids.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ArfJason posted:

this thread much like gbs is fail aids.

hard to argue after observing the last several pages. & also cringe,........

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have no idea what this means, but okay.

Since I do seem to be the only mod around, I think I'm going to go ahead and close the thread for the night and either me or someone else can reopen it tomorrow, all bright eyed and bushy tailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5l174CliKE

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

So now all the GBS posters understand saying AIDS isn't automatically homophobic? :thunk: I'm sick of people pretending to be offended on my behalf anytime someone makes fun of them.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Cousin Todd posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

What a scummy post in a fail aids thread.

Do I need to sign every post as a gay man now or something? Do I need to qualify who I am with the identity police to call something gay and show my little gay rear end drivers license and passport?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

rodbeard posted:

So now all the GBS posters understand saying AIDS isn't automatically homophobic? :thunk: I'm sick of people pretending to be offended on my behalf anytime someone makes fun of them.

oh for sure. we gatehered all teh users with the "gbs poster" tag and surveyed them and they're unanimous now :thanks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i think most people just think it's lame to still be going around posting like it's 2003 and everything is gay retarded aids lol epic troll u mad?? and it was mainly that one guy who was going on about it being homophobic tbh