Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You can shut em all off in your user options and I highly recommend it

Yeah, I've had them off for so long I forget what they look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Infidel Castro posted:

I'm getting old and my memory kinda sucks, but I think back when Richard owned the site there was a thread where you could request a platinum icon that would be random, but there was a 25% chance you'd get banned instead.

So in a way, it was a charity drive.

There was also a thread in the Technical Forum (I think - my memory is vague) where you could request one for a short time - that's why I had a hammer and sickle for quite a while. Pretty sure that was after Jeffrey acquired the forums, so it was relatively recent.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When I became a mod I chose the awesome smiley in large part because I figured it would mildly annoy just the right people. :devil:

Well, and it's largely fitting for my posting style. :frogdunce:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

One thing I've wondered - what prizes would people think are good rewards? Avatar change certificates? I mean, I'm creatively bereft and don't have a good idea for a contest or anything right now, but what would be good rewards? Archives? No ads? I think avatar change certificates have been the usual thing, haven't they?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tarquinn posted:

Yeah, I am not big fan of it either. Like Seth, I don't think wordfilter moderation is the key here, because it makes some want to use a word even more. At this time, I actually haven't seen it used of by GBS regulars, and maybe we can keep it that way without being heavy-handed. :)

:same:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

I liked that, heh, beef, between that Iowa guy that loving loved Iowa and its "cuisine" such as the Iowa Chop, vs General Sherman

Was that Jastiger? Or are you talking about someone else?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

No movement yet because we haven't had time to sit down and discuss it but it'll be moving soon! Got something else cooking in the meantjme

Following on this, do people have suggestions for threads that don't currently have an IK but it would helpful if they did? Like I've said before, I think more IKs and more mods is a good thing, but if there are some threads that would really benefit from it then it would be good to know.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nooner posted:

What's hot:

What's not:

MODS

That's not really fair. I mean, how many of us can possibly measure up to Microwave's mom?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

unsticky the useless rules thread pls

I'll see if we can have it duplicated and sticky the copy of the thread, too. Hell, maybe more than one - thanks for the idea! Lots of identical stickied rules threads, coming up!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd say the rules thread needs to be separate so it is more clear if it gets updated. Also just to keep it as a clear and easily-accessible resource if needed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

can everyone stop posting in gaelic for whatever reason it's making me cringe

Gaelic Broadcasting Station

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

Why the gently caress would you want to be a gibbis shepherd? I don't ever want to be an IK or mod, that sounds awful.

Also I have a feedback: I would like a picture of a Pikachu please.

I'm thinking this is an American Pikachu:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Maybe we can do some kinda GBS Art Fair/Art Sale thing because I also have a lot of paintings that I want to sell + really need money right now. I've been able to sell some in SA Mart in the past but GBS would get way more traffic, or even maybe a GBS art fair thread where artists can post their artwork + link to a SA mart thread selling it or something

I like the sound of this. It could also serve as a way of letting people know SA Mart exists and is a good resource. The number of times I've seen people in the PC Building thread in SH/SC unaware they could get a Windows license in SA Mart for like $20 makes me think a lot of goons aren't familiar with SA Mart.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I assure you we consider all feedback, including from the no-such-thing-as-crews crew.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

When people argue, post cats around them to heal wounds. Land is snoozing.

That is a fine looking catte.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah I try not to get ahead of discussions or tip the hand if there even are discussions when it comes to that. I apologize for the vagueness but in that case I felt it was warranted

Probably should have just made a determination on that afterwards though - that was my fault

I think it should be moved somewhere accessible, at least. I gave some responses in there I'd like to be able to refer to, and I think the thread merits at least the Goodmine. I'm not sure where you put it or I'd go ahead and move it myself.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ok yeah it's goodmined

Another feedback success story!

Thanks!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bagmonkey posted:

Crash Bandicoot LARPing as Principal Skinner

I feel like I'm being called out here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Smugworth posted:

I don't know but I guess we can talk about it at length for a week and maybe permaban Captain Sarcastic for letting it happen

Dude, I've been tied up with IRL stuff this week - don't lay this one on me. I've barely had time to drop in on the forums, much less scour new threads, and probably won't have things start to calm down again until Monday. Under normal circumstances, though, I am definitely like the eye of Sauron constantly and ominously monitoring GBS.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dick Fontaine posted:

Are these the kind of mods we really want? Mods with IRL things to do? How can we expect them to make all these very important decisions for the permanently online when they themselves are only plugged in part-time?

I am looking into cloning myself as we speak.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately - I've been having a hell of a month or so, and the forums are just one of many things I've been neglecting. I'm not gone, and am pretty sure I'm not dead, but haven't been pulling my weight as a mod for a few weeks. I'm trying to get a handle on things in my personal life, and once I get things a little more back to normal you can rest assured I will mod the bejesus out of all y'all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Space Kablooey posted:

So I don't have any dirt on the new mods, and also nothing against them, but I'm curious whether there were any talks about putting up the names of the new mods as a "we're considering x y z for the position, y/n/thoughts"? I think it would have felt nice to have that extra layer of interaction.

There was, but there was also a feeling like it should happen sooner than later. See:

Flowers for QAnon posted:

It took weeks to decide on giving the existing forum IKs the ability to do longer probes? Lol

There is also a line to walk in approaching people to be mods, because so many people decline the invitation. Hell, I vacillated for like a week before accepting. Had it happened in public I'm not certain I would have made the same decision, but I went straight from user to mod so it's not a 1:1 comparison.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chewbecca posted:

Can't the steps be:

1) approach potential mods to be nominees
2) if they accept invitation, post thread seeking opinions on mod nominees. If they say no, seek other potential mods, until you find someone who will say yes

I mean, I don't personally care but this really isn't complicated in terms of process lol

I'm still not fully awake, but I think that is kind of where we're heading. I feel bad I've been kind of absentee since late April and am just recently starting to be more present, so feel free to look askance at anything I say.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Literally A Person posted:

Mods suxor to the maxor

:flipoff:

I keep wanting to joke that I'm Henry Kissinger IRL but just can't find a way to deliver it that seems satisfying. :(

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jose posted:

Minor complaint but there are tons of stickied threads

Yeah, it could use thinning. At least I think the new mod welcome thread can probably be unstickied on Sunday - feels like a full week is good for a thread like that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bagmonkey posted:

you should sticky more threads tbh, why not

I honestly considered necroing some old-rear end threads by stickying them but I thought that would be gauche.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dick Fontaine posted:

Stickies are just bookmarks for cowards, so why not introduce some new threads to the less bold among us? Aren’t their voices just as valid? Aren’t they just as welcome to eat a probe for misunderstanding “thread culture” as the rest of us?

Not sure if this will work since it's quoting an old dead thread, but...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Dear diary, today I was looking forward to opening my diary in order to allow the masses to praise and adulate my low-effort Galtse posts, but now find that the "Special Event" has been canceled.

Is a man not entitled to the replies to his shitposts? "No!" says the administrator, "Your shitposts belong to the forum!" Is a man not entitled to the mocking of his dead-horse-beating schtick? "No!" says the moderator, "Your sub-par trolling belongs to me!"

Anyway, you get the idea.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Enough with fighting over the ex-con thread in this, the hallowed feedback thread.

Let it settle into its place in SA Lore and move on.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Speaking for myself, and I can certainly be overruled by the GBS mod majority/admins, but it does not. This is sort of a legacy rule that's stuck around but in my view it applies to sites where the primary purpose is illegal distribution, though it certainly seems Twitter is trending that way. Since it's newsworthy and, frankly funny as poo poo that so many people are uploading movies and torching Musk's data, I'm not of the mind to outright prohibit that

Agreed. I'd say in the case of Twitter it's their problem, not ours, if they can't run their site properly.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MuadDib Atreides posted:

It seems like I was banned for sincerely contributing to the mouse and keyboard thread. I think GBS posters have a rough go of it on the rest of the forum and I think that's dead wrong.

Have you considered posting better?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MuadDib Atreides posted:

I don’t have pMs and I shan’t throw good money after bad. I would simply like it aknoledged that it was a bogus probe due to GBS discrimination

I look down and whisper "No."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

turn off the 10 minute post timer on the student loan forgiveness fuckery thread lmao

Done. I turned it on back in like February and then the thread didn't get any activity for a long time, so it never got turned back off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

As a general rule, I'd say denying drama mongers the attention they crave is the best course of action.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jesus Christ, I see the AIDS thing is like a loving batsignal for people who don't post in GBS to suddenly swarm into the Feedback thread. Namecalling and slapfight posts will not be considered feedback

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Oh, was it the 16bb probe that kicked it off? Whatever, warning still stands. Also putting the thread into slowmode for the time being, because I feel like it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

Nah rust and filthyimp post here all the time

As do the rest just not in trump threads or gbs superstar threads

The first part of that is treading close to the line of namecalling/slapfighting that I am warning about, but my curiousity has been piqued by the second part. What, pray tell, is a "gbs superstar thread?"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That ain't a GBS thread, and let's try not to lean in to inane forum war bullshit, okay?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Sensible chuckle:

Question: How long do threads get stickied for? Do they just kinda stay around until someone unstickies them or are they set on a timer?

It's entirely manual, as far as I know.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Why people from other forums find prospective GBS rules to be an existential threat is beyond me. It's very odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

emSparkly posted:

I agree with this for the most part. I have a functioning bullshit detector and can use it.

Calling stuff gay and AIDS is first grader poo poo anyway, and if anyone really does use that stuff hatefully, I'll just point and laugh at them. Someone comparing me to Dean Browning is way more offensive to me than anyone calling me fake and gay as an insult.

Which raises a good point, namely why should we tolerate "first grader poo poo" in the first place?

In any case, despite how het up people were getting, it's not like we're on the cusp of banning the use of gay and AIDS right this very moment, if at all. I think it's understandable people find it annoying, and you seem to agree on that point. It's valid feedback in this, the feedback thread.