Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, The Hundred was going to "work" in that the owners had billions of dollars and the reflected glory of their surname, so a bunch of people were gonna descend on it to make whatever they could from it before it inevitably collapsed, peppered with a few true believers who would end up either financially devastated or with their own careers ruined while the Roys just moved on to something else after selling what was left for parts and probably still being billionaires regardless of the losses.

"Substack meets MasterClass meets The Economist meets The New Yorker." is just Kendall spouting empty buzzwords because he thinks just saying things makes them so, and he doesn't actually have any vision of his own, just stitching together broad concepts of ideas other people are already doing without really understanding how or why it works.

Yeah, your company failing doesn't necessarily mean you lose money. If they were smart enough (eh...) then it's a fine way to suck up obscene amounts of VC money, run for a bit, get some cash yourself and for a whole bunch of new friends and contacts and then parachute out with "Lessons learned, the market just wasn't ready for us, we're pivoting to remain viable."

If nothing else it would have met their general goals. It wouldn't have been "successful" but it'd have a huge presence and let them weasel into groups of famous politicians, actors, academics, chefs, etc as more of a personal friend and not just famous rich guy you have to say hello to. Kendall lives for that and Shiv wanted access outside of Waystar. It also would wash their reputation and make them look like cool, smart, hip, good billionaires who support academics and art. Roman was happy to be along for the ride and doing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
they can't not undermine each other and themselves. Even getting Pierce was about screwing Dad+proving they could do better, more than it was about starting something new. Roman, who sagely wanted to avoid dealing with their dad at all, was talking to him again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ITT you just received an image sms from Roman. :yikes:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I said come in! posted:

ITT you just received an image sms from Roman. :yikes:

Im a sicko myself ::sweatdrop:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Greg's incapability of sitting on information, and everyone feeding him information and wondering why it blows up in their face, is the best running theme in the show.

Like, he has a huge one early with Tom where he tells Gerri that Tom wants a press conference about the death pit.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I'm just, like, trying to figure things out!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol of course Logan would die on Connors wedding day just so he didnt have to go to it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Tom does seem to actually care about Shiv, Greg and even Logan. he's a terrible person who uses the people he loves but he does care. A marginal improvement over Logan as head of the company.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Tom seems to have some sort of lingering sadness/bitterness over some semblance of decency that he used to have in his life before getting on the hedonic treadmill. As in, he's always been comfortable trampling over others on the way to invincible affluence, but he'd like to genuinely stop and smell the roses with people he cares about every once in a while. Even that concession is naive vanity to the Roy clan.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

Tom does seem to actually care about Shiv, Greg and even Logan. he's a terrible person who uses the people he loves but he does care. A marginal improvement over Logan as head of the company.

A few episodes left in season 4 to watch, and this is the impression I get as well. Its just his facial expressions when they fight. Its just that both him and Shiv are so incredibly toxic, and surrounded by toxic people who feed off each others worst personality traits and enable one another to be horrible.

I feel like the big moment when Tom truly lost all faith in Shiv and the rest of the Roy family, is when he asked Shiv if she was telling the truth about being pregnant. She was very taken aback by that, but out of a complete lack of self awareness. Like her behavior since they knew each other, led him to sincerely believe she would lie about something like being pregnant just to get back at him.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 11, 2024

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Tom absolutely, sincerely loved Shiv. He was a poo poo to absolutely everyone else, but treated her with such drat vulnerable warmth and reverence that got... well, Shiv'd.

I honestly felt terrible for Tom. Shiv was his one little exception that still tethered him to any sort of humanity. He had faith in her for some stupid reason. I dunno, I guess I hate seeing peoples' trust get stomped on, even if they're desk-flipping dickwads.

His affection for Greg is likewise genuine, but it's tainted with abuse. Still one of the healthiest relationships in the show, good god.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah that pretty much ended with Shiv proposing an open marriage on their wedding night. Woo boy Shiv was a disaster once you got past the facade.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shageletic posted:

Yeah that pretty much ended with Shiv proposing an open marriage on their wedding night. Woo boy Shiv was a disaster once you got past the facade.

such a power move lmao

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And it's so self sabotaging. Like just marry someone who is into that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's basically as oblivious and self destructive as someone proposing an open marriage in a reddit AITAH post

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shageletic posted:

And it's so self sabotaging. Like just marry someone who is into that.

I think someone has a line about Logan metaphorically kicking a dog just to see if it will come back. Feels appropriate here.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

christmas boots posted:

I think someone has a line about Logan metaphorically kicking a dog just to see if it will come back. Feels appropriate here.

Yeah it was 100% shiv just having someone she knew would follow her on everything. Also meeting new people for relationships is exhausting and she already knew Tom. And he looks good in a suit. What else do you need in a spouse??

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, from the start it was a constant tire fire of wondering why Shiv was even getting married, with the bachelor party hall pass and the prenuptial.

Maybe spoilers for the goon finishing it up since I can't remember episode progression. I don't think things were truly screwed until she freaked out about the scorpion gift. He really thought that they could be little venomous assholes together and rule as king and queen, and she blew that up rather than acknowledge him as a theoretical equal. Hell of thing and seemed to be the point when he knew that they'd never be real partners.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, from the start it was a constant tire fire of wondering why Shiv was even getting married, with the bachelor party hall pass and the prenuptial.

Maybe spoilers for the goon finishing it up since I can't remember episode progression. I don't think things were truly screwed until she freaked out about the scorpion gift. He really thought that they could be little venomous assholes together and rule as king and queen, and she blew that up rather than acknowledge him as a theoretical equal. Hell of thing and seemed to be the point when he knew that they'd never be real partners.

That's a nice way of thinking about that scene

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

That scene was especially good after the previous episode where Matsson explained how he kept giving frozen bricks of his blood to one of his employees. Shiv had the same reaction that Matsson said his employee had, and Tom had the same reaction that Matsson had about it just being a joke.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Tom does try to emotionally blackmail Shiv into getting pregnant with a baby she doesn't want (at the time).

Roman has so little self belief that he can't even decide on what to say but when he thinks he's scored a win is an unbearable, abusive rear end in a top hat willing to justify any behavior. It's really funny to watch his brief rise, thinking he made this incredible deal to almost immediately loving everything up and realizing he really was just a messenger boy for a deal he didn't know he was making.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gerri finally going mask off after Roman's "joke" about firing her, was great. Her lack of giving a poo poo at Logan's funeral was nice to see. Just saying out loud what the rest of us are thinking.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Kinda shocked this hasn't been posted here yet lol, what a song to figure skate to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE1a9v1DX9I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The wife and I just finished this show…pretty drat solid throughout. I guess it was also never going to end any other way.