Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

--------------------------------------
I would like to wish all

SUCCESSION WATCHERS

a very

gently caress OFF
--------------------------------------

Goddamn Greg is such a fuckin' disgusting worm.

He is a disgusting bro. Just having a bit of a rummage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I didn’t fully understand the business aspect of this episode. Gojo is still buying ATN. Is that related somehow to Logan wanting to buy Pierce?

MrMojok posted:

That Siobhan-Tom conversation was incredibly sad. I don’t think I’ve really been stuck in the feels before by this show, not in terms of something I could really relate to personally, but that one got me good.

Yeah I didn’t need that right before bed.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Incredible episode loved everything about it

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I didn’t fully understand the business aspect of this episode. Gojo is still buying ATN. Is that related somehow to Logan wanting to buy Pierce?

I *think* what’s happening is, Logan is looking to sell everything but ATN. At the end of S3 Mattson offers to have Gojo buy Waystar-Royco, and give Logan a big payout.

Logan wants to keep ATN (the show equivalent of Fox News) and add to it the acquisition of the Pierce company (the other big news conglomerate owned by the more liberal family)

The kids are angling to use their 5% shares of Waystar-Royco they’ll get when Logan sells, to buy Pierce’s company. To screw over their Dad.

But what could possibly happen now is, Logan’s pissed and decides not to sell W-R to Gojo, and then the kids don’t have the money to buy Pierce?

I don’t know. I’m honestly more confused now that I’ve written all this out. Somebody please help.

e: Also Nan Pierce really pulled one over on all of them, by making them start out bidding $8 million and getting them trying to repeatedly outbid each other

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 27, 2023

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I’m so happy this show is ending at the top of its game

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MrMojok posted:

I *think* what’s happening is, Logan is looking to sell everything but ATN. At the end of S3 Mattson offers to have Gojo buy Waystar-Royco, and give Logan a big payout.

Logan wants to keep ATN (the show equivalent of Fox News) and add to it the acquisition of the Pierce company (the other big news conglomerate owned by the more liberal family)

The kids are angling to use their 5% shares of Waystar-Royco they’ll get when Logan sells, to buy Pierce’s company. To screw over their Dad.

But what could possibly happen now is, Logan’s pissed and decides not to sell W-R to Gojo, and then the kids don’t have the money to buy Pierce?

I don’t know. I’m honestly more confused now that I’ve written all this out. Somebody please help.

e: Also Nan Pierce really pulled one over on all of them, by making them start out bidding $8 million and getting them trying to repeatedly outbid each other

I think this is correct, and that much of the conflict this season will be Logan doing whatever he can to ensure the kids don't have the money to compete with him. They may have said the biggest number but it's only as good as a handshake.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

MrMojok posted:

Also Nan Pierce really pulled one over on all of them, by making them start out bidding $8 million and getting them trying to repeatedly outbid each other

That early joke about 8, 9, 10 really came back to bite all of them, huh

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

MrMojok posted:

"I'm so disgusted right now" lmao she's a hustler

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Billion, not million. Otherwise this matches with my understanding, though I don't understand business at all.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ah yes, that was a mistake. My mind just kind of short-circuits at the concept of a billion dollars.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
this was so good

so many brilliant lines but for some reason the one that made me laugh the most was Willa saying "it's dumb but... I've always wanted a nice wedding"

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

MrMojok posted:

Thanks. And I’m sure your prediction is exactly correct, it fits with the show’s vibe

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

“From Israel-Palestine to AI” has still got me grinning

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That episode was unbelievable, just firing on all cylinders in every way, maybe the most quotable episode to date of the most quotable show, and yeah the Shiv/Tom stuff at the end after the business and hilarity of the rest of the hour really hit hard.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
What are your guys thoughts on Dasha from Red Scare’s character being written out for this season

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

What are your guys thoughts on Dasha from Red Scare’s character being written out for this season

Couldn't care less

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nan is such a piece of poo poo, haha. I love how nakedly transparent her manipulations were, loved even more that the kids and Logan were fully aware of how transparent they were AND THEY STILL WORKED. How nice to actually see Logan "lose" for once - that shot of him alone in his apartment bitching about the news really showcased how poor the "100 foot man" is.

Edit: Favorite line of the episode came from Connor though: "If I dip below 1%, I'm worried I'll become a laughing stock!"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 27, 2023

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Wizard Master posted:

she was hardly a major character and wasn't Greg over her by the end of season 3 anyway? She was fine, but her character not coming back doesn't affect anything at all

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Going into threads and asking everyone what they think of some random thing is a weird Wizard Master gimmick dw about it

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hearing everyone's natural accents in the behind-the-scenes is always such a trip.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mover posted:

Gonna need a full hour of Tom riffing on Bridget’s huge purse

At least. I missed Tom so much.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Wizard Master posted:

it's a guilt-free switch up

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Can't shake the feeling that the biggest gently caress-up in this episode was Nan Pierce deciding to go with the kids. She should be able to read the room and predict that Logan is going to mess with the deal with the kids in response, so she should've just stuck with him and taken maybe 500 million less. Who cares!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

tazjin posted:

Can't shake the feeling that the biggest gently caress-up in this episode was Nan Pierce deciding to go with the kids. She should be able to read the room and predict that Logan is going to mess with the deal with the kids in response, so she should've just stuck with him and taken maybe 500 million less. Who cares!

I figure that she was always looking for an alternative to selling to Logan, who she hates, but is also obligated to get the best possible price for the shareholders.

I feel like she could've been more subtle about the obvious glee she has in driving up the price while saying that she was disgusted by being in the middle of a bidding war, but, minor quibble.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

flashy_mcflash posted:

I figure that she was always looking for an alternative to selling to Logan, who she hates, but is also obligated to get the best possible price for the shareholders.

I feel like she could've been more subtle about the obvious glee she has in driving up the price while saying that she was disgusted by being in the middle of a bidding war, but, minor quibble.

I guess the question is how important is getting a deal to her, because the way this is going I'm thinking it probably won't get sold to any Roy(s) in the end.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The scene with Tom and Shiv was touching, moreso because I just learned a friend is getting divorced. But then I remembered that these people are reptile ghouls and I have nothing in common with them.

Maybe Nan Pierce is the real chaos gremlin here, and she cares as much or more about loving with Logan as she does about money. It's not like she needs it.

Das Boo posted:

I think I've managed to feel sorry for all these awful people at some point except Shiv. I'm still waiting on her to show a genuine emotion outside of being upset she got hosed while loving someone over.
The idea of Rupert Murdoch's daughter managing the Sanders campaign is pretty funny.

Wizard Master posted:

Dasha from Red Scare
Wizard Master

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 1, 2023

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I know the kids are worthless fuckups, but it's sad seeing them choose to get pulled back into their dad's bullshit instead of trying to make a legit go at their own thing (even if it was distilled VC bullshit).

Worth noting the whole thing was kicked off by Tom. Was he trying to make amends with Shiv by telling her about Naomi? Bragging? Doing it because the old man asked him?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The numbers they threw out at the start suggested that the three of them combined could (after cashing in from the upcoming Waystar sale) pool together like 3-4 billion, right? Which is, well, it's more money than anybody would ever need in a lifetime (or three! Or many more!) But given that they're spending 10, and even that starting 6 they went in with was based on high hopes about what they THOUGHT they could convince others to chip in, they're basically pulling an all-or-nothing gambit which is pretty crazy.

On the other hand, they're hyper-wealthy so I'm pretty sure the law says if they lose everything then they just get to like... keep their money anyway....

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, Connor talking about how much money he'd already spent and was about to spend got me wondering about their individual net worth. And how much of that is some sort of line-of-credit they got against their W-R stock. (Not that I understand these things, I just remember that part of the WeWork show where they gave Adam Neumann $900 million against the value of his inflatable unicorn.)

Not sure what Willa's goal is here.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Greatbacon posted:

I know the kids are worthless fuckups, but it's sad seeing them choose to get pulled back into their dad's bullshit instead of trying to make a legit go at their own thing (even if it was distilled VC bullshit).

When Roman is the voice of the reason, you really, really need to take a look at what you're doing. But it's the fail kids, so here we go again!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think Willa's just here to milk and because she doesn't... like, hate Conner, not really. I mean, it's fine. He's fine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Has Mondale ever been seen outside of his pen?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

tazjin posted:

If I wanted to nit pick I would point out that the price of Pierce has dropped from ~25b in season 2-3 to 5-10b but Roystar's value (in the same legacy media sphere) hasn't slipped.

But that's just for plot convenience so I repeat to myself it's just a show I should really just relax.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Henchman of Santa posted:

Has Mondale ever been seen outside of his pen?

I don't think so :(

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
It’s both funny and sad that Logan probably genuinely considers his bodyguard his one and only friend.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They've probably had dozens of lunches together where Logan said nothing, toyed with his phone, or yelled at other people on it. Logan speaking to him seemed to...catch him off guard.

Das Boo posted:

I think Willa's just here to milk and because she doesn't... like, hate Conner, not really. I mean, it's fine. He's fine.
That's the thing, you'd think she'd want him to not spend money. Maybe she found a role in the campaign that works for her, maybe she's speedrunning her way to a profitable divorce.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Another Bill posted:

If I wanted to nit pick I would point out that the price of Pierce has dropped from ~25b in season 2-3 to 5-10b but Roystar's value (in the same legacy media sphere) hasn't slipped.

But that's just for plot convenience so I repeat to myself it's just a show I should really just relax.

Yeah, I was going to ask about that. It doesn’t seem like these writers to make that much of a glaring mistake.

Was Logan maybe just overbidding that much during S2? Like Musk paying probably over twice what Twitter was worth, a while back?

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
The Hundred sounds like some real Tom Friedman/Bari Weiss poo poo.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The money that the kids need to buy Pierce is dependent on the sale of Waystar Royco to GoJo/Alexander Skarsgaard's company right? So the most obvious thing is that Logan is going to bomb the sale on purpose to sabotage this move right?

Matthew McFaddyen is so good at playing the sad puppy...that final scene... absolutely heartbreaking. I wondered when he kept pleading with Shiv about "talking" was partly to see if she could express any emotion at all - even hurt and betrayal! He did something profoundly hurtful (if, completely understandable given how she's treated him) and she wont even really express that outwardly. Incredible, devastating.

Love seeing Tom and Greg back together. The Disgusting Brothers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

The money that the kids need to buy Pierce is dependent on the sale of Waystar Royco to GoJo/Alexander Skarsgaard's company right? So the most obvious thing is that Logan is going to bomb the sale on purpose to sabotage this move right?

Logan bombing the sale to screw the kids is foreseeable but it would absolutely open him up to a basically unquestionable breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit by the shareholders who lose a lot of money just because of his own personal vendetta. At a minimum he’d get removed from his role, at least presuming him doing that for that reason is something that would come out to the shareholders.