Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Shiv forever lost her Good Lib card when she personally, deliberately bullied a SA victim into silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
No such thing as a Good Lib. Pretty sure building SA victims into silence is just what they do.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

regulargonzalez posted:

I think Ken still could have saved it after Shiv brought up the dead waiter.

"You know what Shiv, you're right. it's something I think about every day and maybe I shouldn't have told you, I don't know, but I did and that means that if I'm CEO you know you'll always have a seat at the table. You'll always be able to hold that over my head. Vote Mattson, your husband is CEO. How long can you tolerate that, how long will you be able to handle someone you think is inferior to you running the world every day while you wait at home playing wifey? How long before you become bitter and divorce him and marry someone you can keep under your thumb? You get to choose -- do you want a seat at the table or do you want to be mom? You get to make that choice, right now

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Kendall being an idiot who can't read another human because of the way his dad broke him is a main character theme. There are a dozen ways he could've cinched it. Failure is Kendall's place, dramaturgically.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It was a weirdly underappreciated (in other places) recurring point in Succession that so many big business and political moves are just the random whims of idiots. Shiv picking the probably still worse for her option because she had bad vibes and was pissed at Kendall put a good bow on it.

Or just the Tweet about Shiv managing to girlboss herself into being a housewife to a husband she hates with a kid she doesn't want.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Valentin posted:

it's really not a very complicated scene imo in that basically every motivation shiv has is readable right on the surface or has been extensively highlighted in the preceding episodes. shiv states her immediate problem up front: she needs a moment, it's a big decision. it represents kendall's final victory and, to her, a confirmation of every dig and snide insinuation that she's somehow lesser, every moment she's been locked out of the business side of things by her father and every other sexist rear end in a top hat (also, there's lots of practical and emotional reasons for literally anyone but especially his siblings to feel iffy about putting kendall in the hot seat). also, the last few episodes of the season have really drive home that control of waystar isn't just a family matter, and it has real political implications. for all that she places ambition, power, and status above all else, i think shiv never really stops thinking of herself as a sensible liberal who is horrified of mecken even as she convinces herself she can play him. i think she's still persuadable at this point. all ken has to do is reassure her that they're a team, that this is actually their joint victory. he just has to not flip his lid, and not start giving some kind of insane monologue.

kendall's response to her is to, within seconds, flip his lid and start giving an insane monologue about how he's a cog built for this one purpose and if she doesn't let him do it she's implicitly killing him. all the roy children lash out and double down when someone starts criticizing them, because it was their father's favorite move and he used it on them and everyone around them constantly. so kendall starts bombarding her with all kinds of nonsense basically guaranteed to further entrench her in her position (he calls her stupid and crazy, two things she definitely loves hearing). then shiv brings up two undeniable points (he's not very good at this job and also he killed that guy), and kendall completely detaches from reality. he insists that he never killed that guy, it never happened, it's not real, he made it up, it was a move.

that's the moment he really loses them i think. there's lot of factors: shouting at her in front of the board humiliates her and forces her to pick between her dignity and voting for ken; "i'm the eldest boy" is loving embarrassing (and a revealing second alteration of reality by kendall, sorry connor); the physical scuffle with roman is the last straw. but it's the moment that he claims that he never killed a guy, and it was all just a business move, that shiv and roman very clearly recognize that kendall's pursuit of the ceo seat has completely unmoored him and left him a shell of a person to whom nothing is real anymore. also, the whole tone of the argument makes it clear that this is not really a new start, and that if kendall becomes ceo, it's going to do nothing but perpetuate the abusive dynamics that have characterized their entire lives, except with ken clumsily trying to assume the role of patriarch (one way of describing what happens in this scene is that kendall tries to panic-gaslight his way out of a murder charge). kendall is a genuine danger to america (even if mencken has already been elected and shiv will never try to reconcile her complicity in this, i think she still wants to believe this matters to her), he has no managerial skills, he is completely detached from reality, and picking him is going to trap you in your dad's nightmare family trauma-rama for countless more years except that now you're supposed to take loving kendall seriously. maybe tom wins, who cares; even if he loathes her he at least sees her as an independent adult woman, and not as his hanger-on smug bitch kid sister.

there is not a single reason to vote for him and every reason to vote against.

it really is very much a case of a major decision with huge implications for the country being made based on interpersonal matters and relatively small decisions, yeah. kendall pretty much sets them on the path to matsson's victory the moment he follows her into the room.

gently caress yeah, great post

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
there's a poster in the Succession thread that's a rough diamond in the poo poo rocks. Fast track to management.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Still think sometimes about that last moment with Shiv and Tom where she gives that meek congrats in the car and he responds with a sterile Oh, Thank You

Ending for the ages

edit Its also fun to watch Tom and Logan in the first episode as he tries to give him that gaudy watch with that super cringe joke and thinking "this goober ends up securing the whole fuckin bag" lmao

sure okay fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 20, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Tom seems like a bumpkin in a fish out of water situation, but plays it near-perfectly. Sucks up constantly, hides the cruise poo poo, goes to ATN which is Logan's baby, delivers skulls, plays his part in Logan's plan to get Pierce and is the only one not to get criticized about it, backs Logan over Kendall and the other kids repeatedly, gives Logan a grand kid, nice to his "betters" but treats his underlings and enemies maliciously.

About the only thing Tom screws up in Logan's eyes is the congressional hearing and it doesn't matter anyway. Tom also protects Greg during the retreat when he could get the focus off himself, but that's not a mistake.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

Tom seems like a bumpkin in a fish out of water situation, but plays it near-perfectly. Sucks up constantly, hides the cruise poo poo, goes to ATN which is Logan's baby, delivers skulls, plays his part in Logan's plan to get Pierce and is the only one not to get criticized about it, backs Logan over Kendall and the other kids repeatedly, gives Logan a grand kid, nice to his "betters" but treats his underlings and enemies maliciously.

About the only thing Tom screws up in Logan's eyes is the congressional hearing and it doesn't matter anyway. Tom also protects Greg during the retreat when he could get the focus off himself, but that's not a mistake.

And all because he manages to notice the simple thing everyone else is too deluded to notice: "I've never seen Logan get hosed once". Tom is a terrible human being but being outside this privileged bubble made him have just enough awareness to come out on top.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It was a weirdly underappreciated (in other places) recurring point in Succession that so many big business and political moves are just the random whims of idiots.
This, but somehow people in this thread and elsewhere won’t shut up about how Logan is a business genius or how Tom played a masterstroke. People will seriously quote “You’re not serious people” like Logan was an omniscient narrator or cite Tom’s slavish loyalty as a sapient corporate trick.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Tom is a business master and also the most handsome

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Vegetable posted:

This, but somehow people in this thread and elsewhere won’t shut up about how Logan is a business genius or how Tom played a masterstroke. People will seriously quote “You’re not serious people” like Logan was an omniscient narrator or cite Tom’s slavish loyalty as a sapient corporate trick.

Gotta believe the world is fair and just.

Which means the people at the top must be smart and capable. Smarter and more capable than me personally anyway.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vegetable posted:

tbf they were not, as it turned out, serious people

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
everything i do, I do for this thread

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

christmas boots posted:

tbf they were not, as it turned out, serious people

Yeah, he wasn't wrong.

Two of my favorite Logan deliveries:

"You're not a killer... You have to be a killer."

and

"Life's not knights on horseback. It's a number on a piece of a paper. It's a fight for a knife, in the mud."

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This was a very well written show

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

That second line could pass for a quote from a Cormac McCarthy novel. It's certainly his MO (hell, Blood Meridian features an early fight for a knife in the mud and god only knows the atrocities that occur for numbers on pieces of papers in his work).

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Actually I think youll all agree with me that the best line is BOAR ON THE FLOOR

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

"Can't make a Tomelette without breaking some Greggs"

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It's somewhere you're really living. Living Plus.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Living in the sand, perhaps thriving in the sand???

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I might not like it, in the death pit?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

"Can't make a Tomelette without breaking some Greggs"

This was so inspired. I imagine the writer who came up with this walking with a spring in their step for the rest of the day.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crescent Wrench posted:

This was so inspired. I imagine the writer who came up with this walking with a spring in their step for the rest of the day.

I chose to believe Jesse Armstrong came up with that line first and created Tom and Greg specifically to make it work.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Huh. Was curious what Jesse Armstrong's next project was going to be and apparently it's a US version of Peep Show? Curious.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Are you Scooby doing me?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Who want to smell Greg’s finger?

Also for full bore (on the floor) screaming I like I’M TURNING A loving TANKER HERE

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Crescent Wrench posted:

When you hit upon a pun that only applies to an extremely precise scenario, it's seriously the highest form of comedy.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
look, everything I do

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I shan't become that, no. Alas Kentucky, Willa. Alas vanity.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
If they had just embraced The Quad Squad, they would have won as a family!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If it is to be said, so it be. It is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

beepo posted:

*in a weird sing-song voice* Disgusting Brothers!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

https://youtu.be/5fSuPDRYaKs

This scene ends on the best punchline

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vegetable posted:

https://youtu.be/5fSuPDRYaKs

This scene ends on the best punchline

"Well, it sure as fuckin' poo poo doesn't say Shiv"

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

beepo posted:

I can't leave the fly guys behind! That's the fly guy code!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have just started watching for the first time. On season 1 and so far this is really great! All of these characters are gigantic assholes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Orange Devil posted:

No such thing as a Good Lib. Pretty sure bullying SA victims into silence is just what they do.

Sure, and this is pretty overtly baked into the show. It’s one of its greatest strengths. ATN is FOX News and Pierce is MSNBC, and both are equally cynical exercises in corporate profiteering whose “ideologies” are pure branding.

Of course Shiv did that…everyone in their world is so beyond consequence, the literal only concern they still have is protecting shareholder interests and keeping their hand active in some boardroom circlejerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I said come in! posted:

I have just started watching for the first time. On season 1 and so far this is really great! All of these characters are gigantic assholes.

BOAR ON THE FLOOR!!!