Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Inner Light posted:

BOAR ON THE FLOOR!!!

Where'd he come from?
Nobody knows
Where he'll go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

god someone please be nice to Greg for once.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
no.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm still in season 2, but right now Greg, and Gerri are the only people that I would bother to save if trapped in a burning building.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m rewatching this from season 1 and am midway through season 2. It’s reaaaaally unwatchable when Kendall fucks up the vote of confidence and then the hostile takeover. All well done obviously but so much cringe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I’m rewatching this from season 1 and am midway through season 2. It’s reaaaaally unwatchable when Kendall fucks up the vote of confidence and then the hostile takeover. All well done obviously but so much cringe.

that was so loving painful to watch.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
uh huh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The biggest personal failure in the show isn't Kendall's, it's Roman not loving Ger-bear. She danced her way through your rainstorm and never got wet, bro

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I said come in! posted:

god someone please be nice to Greg for once.

gently caress him and his California pizza kitchen

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I know that Kendall is the big loser of the show, but it feels like Shiv flailed more, and even more visibly. The most embarrassing moments of Logan owning any of the siblings seem to be from her. She seemed intelligent in the 1st season until she wasn't.

"I've seen you get hosed a lot. But I never saw Logan get hosed once."

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

christmas boots posted:

gently caress him and his California pizza kitchen

it's pretty delicious

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beepo posted:

Where'd he come from?
Nobody knows
Where he'll go

I understood this reference

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I know that Kendall is the big loser of the show, but it feels like Shiv flailed more, and even more visibly. The most embarrassing moments of Logan owning any of the siblings seem to be from her. She seemed intelligent in the 1st season until she wasn't.

yeah Kendall has nowhere to fall in the viewers' estimation because he's an obvious fraud with no skills or assets outside his family name and money. he's introduced white boy rapping. on the other hand, the veneer or idea of competence is actually a critical part of what shiv sells to liberals and to viewers. they flatter shiv by treating her as though she has unique insight, while pretending she has unique insight lets liberals wash their hands of the fact that they just like the street cred and glamour and access that hiring/working with a conventionally attractive conservative media heiress gives them. and of course the unspoken logic is that being abused by a famous media heir must have given her skills and drive (it didn't, it turns out succession does not believe suffering abuse is ennobling or edifying)

one of the shows perfect little jokes ("jokes") imo is the way that misogyny catches shiv coming and going at all times. she spends all of season 3 with her husband trying to impregnate her so she'll be forced to bear his child and tie him to the family forever, and then when she does get pregnant he accuses her of using it as a move in what is partly a blatant act of projection. then her final choice (in the limo, I mean, not the boardroom fight) is between being a failed heir of Logan Roy or the estranged wife of Waystar's CEO (since she seemingly can't envision anything else). as a larger arc it is incredibly bleak but also she never stops being a fully realized and funny and mean character even as each of her own choices and attempts to leverage the system against itself (for her own gain and no one else's benefit) only binds her tighter

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Speaking of misogyny, one of my favorite, not-even-trying-to-be-subtle moments is when the excruciating stockholders' meeting is going on and on and on and they've put in a bunch of videos of women who work there to try and prove that the recent rape/sexual harassment reveals are not indicative of the culture of the company, and in the middle of one of the women saying they have voices that are heard Karl comes stomping out and tells them to shut off the video because he has something to say!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

She's wayyyyyyy out of her element. She seems like an OK political flack when that stuff comes up, but she's too blinded by her dad's manipulations to realize he'd never just plop her in a high level position at a multimedia conglomerate like that. It would be an insane thing to do; she's got basically zero experience.

She seems quite good at manipulating individual members of the media and shaping individual stories to her liking, but that's a long way from running the business itself.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 9, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In the episode in season 2, where the Roy family is visiting the Pierces, to discuss buying their company, did Kendall literally poo poo the bed? Years of cocaine use?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Just thinking about how one of my favorite jokes in all of media was Greg?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of misogyny, one of my favorite, not-even-trying-to-be-subtle moments is when the excruciating stockholders' meeting is going on and on and on and they've put in a bunch of videos of women who work there to try and prove that the recent rape/sexual harassment reveals are not indicative of the culture of the company, and in the middle of one of the women saying they have voices that are heard Karl comes stomping out and tells them to shut off the video because he has something to say!

full disclosure, I'm having a panic attack right now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cranappleberry posted:

full disclosure, I'm having a panic attack right now.

oh I know how to deal with panic attacks, Succession taught me

- Make fun of the person having the panic attack
- yell a lot
- tell them to stop victimizing themselves
- repeat what they say in silly voices

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished season 2. :prepop:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
ah but what if your toenails are not all that aesthetically pleasing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

ah but what if your toenails are not all that aesthetically pleasing

That was an awesome episode, the boat Logan had everyone meet on was awesome, just really awesome.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been really interested in whether Succession has managed to anticipate industry trends and so far they seem to have missed the mark a bit.

The Vaulter guy is supposed to be this visionary who’s interviewed for Waystar CEO at the end. It makes no sense that Matsson would even consider someone who’s their version of a Vice or Buzzfeed founder. In our world tech has always thought those publications to be beneath them. And certainly those publications were dead at the time they were writing Season 4.

The kids tried to put together The Hundred. They called it “Substack meets MasterClass meets The Economist meets The New Yorker.” They made it seem like the project actually got some interest. This seems to reference the wave of new hip publications in the mid-2010s like The Outline and Mic. Those didn’t survive for very long, and it’s odd that they are seen as viable in the show.

What we should have been seeing is a lot of more big tech. There’s a gaping hole where Netflix should have been mentioned. There’s not enough mention of Meta and Google’s online advertising dollars decimating traditional media.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't GoJo supposed to be Netflix? I guess that's easy to forget since Mattson is pretty much faux Elon Musk.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Opening credits with the "loading..." in the Roystar app. Would've loved to see more about that side of things, though.

The Hundred might get invited to show off a pitch deck to some interested parties, but that world has been shown to be full of "sure, sure" types who only care about the final buy/sell number.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vegetable posted:

I’ve been really interested in whether Succession has managed to anticipate industry trends and so far they seem to have missed the mark a bit.

The Vaulter guy is supposed to be this visionary who’s interviewed for Waystar CEO at the end. It makes no sense that Matsson would even consider someone who’s their version of a Vice or Buzzfeed founder. In our world tech has always thought those publications to be beneath them. And certainly those publications were dead at the time they were writing Season 4.

The kids tried to put together The Hundred. They called it “Substack meets MasterClass meets The Economist meets The New Yorker.” They made it seem like the project actually got some interest. This seems to reference the wave of new hip publications in the mid-2010s like The Outline and Mic. Those didn’t survive for very long, and it’s odd that they are seen as viable in the show.

What we should have been seeing is a lot of more big tech. There’s a gaping hole where Netflix should have been mentioned. There’s not enough mention of Meta and Google’s online advertising dollars decimating traditional media.

To be fair, they are all idiots

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vegetable posted:

GoJoe is the Netflix equivalent, roughly speaking. Also remember that he didn't really want a CEO to take charge, he just wanted a warm American body that he could work like a puppet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Vegetable posted:

I think this one at least was totally intentional. Any group of people with 10 billion dollars to their name will get meetings, it doesnt mean their idea is good.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

The Hundred also seemed very close to The Messenger, which just launched a year ago and then (post-Succession finale, just recently) hugely and publicly collapsed hard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, The Hundred was going to "work" in that the owners had billions of dollars and the reflected glory of their surname, so a bunch of people were gonna descend on it to make whatever they could from it before it inevitably collapsed, peppered with a few true believers who would end up either financially devastated or with their own careers ruined while the Roys just moved on to something else after selling what was left for parts and probably still being billionaires regardless of the losses.

"Substack meets MasterClass meets The Economist meets The New Yorker." is just Kendall spouting empty buzzwords because he thinks just saying things makes them so, and he doesn't actually have any vision of his own, just stitching together broad concepts of ideas other people are already doing without really understanding how or why it works.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

sebmojo posted:

To be fair, they are all idiots

you're fired. Not really but, like, really you don't work here any more,

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Half way through season 3, and now Greg can go gently caress himself. Both sides trying to help him out and gain his loyalty, and he keeps trying to flip back and forth and please everyone for his own personal gain. Then he acts Pikachu shocked when both sides look at him like he is a useless bitch that is wasting their time. Was not at all surprised when his grandpa decides gently caress it and gives his inheritance money away to Greenpeace. Toms response when Greg explains that he is going to sue Greenpeace for the money back, was gold. Greg should have left Waystar and stuck with Kendell exclusively.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

I said come in! posted:

Half way through season 3, and now Greg can go gently caress himself. Both sides trying to help him out and gain his loyalty, and he keeps trying to flip back and forth and please everyone for his own personal gain. Then he acts Pikachu shocked when both sides look at him like he is a useless bitch that is wasting their time. Was not at all surprised when his grandpa decides gently caress it and gives his inheritance money away to Greenpeace. Toms response when Greg explains that he is going to sue Greenpeace for the money back, was gold. Greg should have left Waystar and stuck with Kendell exclusively.

:ohdear:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm scared about what this means!!! :ohdear: I just want to see Greg make good decisions. :(

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

It’s funny, Greg was always a craven little worm but because he’s the closest thing to a normal human we get in the main cast he’s also really easy to sympathize with. People seemed to generally react to his evolution with an “oh no poor sweet Greg” but this is really what he always was, he just didn’t have the slight modicum of wealth and power to act on it before.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Freaquency posted:

It’s funny, Greg was always a craven little worm but because he’s the closest thing to a normal human we get in the main cast he’s also really easy to sympathize with. People seemed to generally react to his evolution with an “oh no poor sweet Greg” but this is really what he always was, he just didn’t have the slight modicum of wealth and power to act on it before.

I find it strange people didn't see it from the off tbh. His interactions with Tom loudly broadcast his slimy turpitude.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I find it strange people didn't see it from the off tbh. His interactions with Tom loudly broadcast his slimy turpitude.

Yep, I see that now and now I feel as bad as everyone else who defended him and tried to help him out. Not that anyone else on the show is good either, these are all terrible human beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
sails out, nails out bro