Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The second one is the part that seems especially iffy. Since he was still employed as security after they were married despite her also hiring an entire private security company along with her husband and her husband apparently not having any license for private security.

If you are hired directly by the person you are providing security for, then you don't technically need a license, but that sort of raises the question of why they were hired in the first place and alongside another private security company.

He could have been acting as the go-between between her and the security companies. That's something I could see having actual security experience being an advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gnumonic posted:

Christ, is that even legal? Guess Biden really is going with the "we don't need any Arab/Muslim/under-30 votes!" strategy.

It's not illegal to deny someone entrance to a political rally, not even if a Twitter account with 50 followers posts a video of themselves heckling a campaign volunteer for two minutes straight.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Republicans finally have a slam dunk case on one of those woke ultrafeminist squad members for... not forcing her newlywed husband to quit his job.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Yawgmoft posted:

Republicans finally have a slam dunk case on one of those woke ultrafeminist squad members for... not forcing her newlywed husband to quit his job.

this feels like a 1 panel political cartoon skit, capitol fuzz beelining attack dog mode straight at the black lady for the the conduct policy equivalent of "tree branch 3.2 inches over property easement" while people who took millions of dollars in foreign bribes and/or literally sex trafficked children are all just hanging out going whoaaa such immorality in our legislature, clucking my tongue irl

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not illegal to deny someone entrance to a political rally, not even if a Twitter account with 50 followers posts a video of themselves heckling a campaign volunteer for two minutes straight.

Isn't it generally illegal to deny people access to anything that would otherwise be open to the public on the basis of religion?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Gnumonic posted:

Isn't it generally illegal to deny people access to anything that would otherwise be open to the public on the basis of religion?

According to news articles about the event, there were several hundred people there. Statistically speaking there were probably a number of muslims that weren't barred at the doors.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gnumonic posted:

It is a private event and other Muslim people were invited, so they weren't denied based on their religion. They were denied because they were apparently organizing a group to RSVP to the event to protest during the speech and argue that civilian deaths on 10/7 were a false flag by Israel and whoever was running the event didn't let anyone from that group in.

Even if it were a public event, political affiliation isn't a protected class. You can deny service based on political beliefs.

Edit: This is another situation where a quick google after reading a random tweet from an account with 50 followers would probably answer your question.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 30, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gnumonic posted:

You have to be able to prove that it was because of your religion. Not because you were being an rear end in a top hat before you turned the camera on, and not because you were part of a group the campaign very much does not want to be associated with (their link list includes a "What Really Happened on Oct 7th" link that, by itself, is more than enough reason for any campaign to disinvite them).

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
yeah they got caught because their planning wasn't suave and they were able to get flagged for denied entry at the door. its how it goes sometimes, apparently using signal and keeping your mouth shut about The Plan is hard

having failed at that fundamental level of the intended task, their backup option was apparently to go to town on whichever event organizer was posted there

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
https://twitter.com/jakesheridan_/status/1752442787520254008

Good on these kids. Hopefully the resolution passes

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

trevorreznik posted:

When yiz are discussing culture or the lack thereof, what are you specifically referencing? I assume it isn't the resident companies in the major performing arts: symphony, ballet, opera, and theatre (which Houston has, for example) nor the major museums in places like Chicago?

I see it brought up a lot and never quite know what exactly people mean besides their general understanding of a city's vibe, which can often just mean that that person doesn't know that specific city very well, or doesn't enjoy the offerings said city does have.

If I had to guess I'd say the definition is a variety of bars and restaurants that often a lot of different cuisines, but most college towns have those (as well as bands that come through on tour).

I can't speak for the neighborhood in Pittsburgh, but I can tell you right now that the Industry neighborhood of Muncie, IN has access to none of that. Muncie is a college town, and on the side of town north of the river we got Indian and sushi finally in the 2010s, none of that poo poo is in the least bit accessible to residents living across the river and across the tracks. You could buy a house where the previous owner OD'd on meth for low 5 digits if you want, but your car is going to get broken into every other week. There's not a grocery store or restaurant near you either, because the zoning is prohibitive and even the corner stores regularly went out of business because they got robbed so often in my neighborhood (which shares a border in the railroad track)

Similarly, there are cool outdoor areas and local museums dedicated to the Ball family (you may know them for the glass jars), but all of those are in and around the university campus, on the far side of town from Industry.

Basically, if you want to have "local color"-level amenities available at "making a trip to the city" distances you can, but you have to go home some time and the view from your window is going to be BLEAK.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/jakesheridan_/status/1752442787520254008

Good on these kids. Hopefully the resolution passes

This will get Hamas and Israel to chill out

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
in my own lived experience i stopped thinking of places as having a "high cost of living"

it was really just that amenities straight up cost more in areas where people's poo poo wasn't getting jacked daily by roving addicts. people are basically paying a "don't have to wake up wondering if you're hearing a cutoff on your catalytic" tax, and as more of the US becomes defined by the social casualty of neoliberal neglect, and the areas where that isn't true shrink to a smaller and smaller portion of where you can even live, the cost divide just goes up and up

selec
Sep 6, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

This will get Hamas and Israel to chill out

I know this is just flippant, but this is what organizing political power looks like. Make the people you can sway go on the record. Heighten the contradiction: why are the politicians I can talk to willing to hear me out and even go along with this, but the ones in DC I only ever talk to an Intern or get a form letter back from all seem completely unreachable on this topic?

Longer term goal is to be able to remind a city counselor who wants to become a mayor, or a mayor who wants to become a congressperson who they are and where they came from.

From a “leftist attempting to influence liberals” perspective it’s good because you’re forcing even words you wouldn’t have been able to get in previous years, and also it will out the rats if they turn on you later.

If you oppose the genocide, there’s almost no downside to this kind of effort.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Liberals are gambling on the belief that they can ignore the pissed off anti-genocide anti-war portion of their party despite the party continuing to shift against the war

Every week more politicians call for a ceasefire as the party elders continue to push the war and Biden prepares to expand the conflict further into other ME countries

Sounds like a good plan.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

VorpalBunny posted:

I'm sorry, I was told America is Full. Clearly this is another Democratic psy-op, to entice illegals to invade and steal our jobs. We may yet see a taco truck on every corner. :argh:

The small city I live in only allows food trucks at pre approved locations. But the populace is like 50 percent Hispanic so I still have tons of kick rear end taco trucks around.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

koolkal posted:

Liberals are gambling on the belief that they can ignore the pissed off anti-genocide anti-war portion of their party despite the party continuing to shift against the war

Every week more politicians call for a ceasefire as the party elders continue to push the war and Biden prepares to expand the conflict further into other ME countries

Sounds like a good plan.

The ongoing response to the protests seems to indicate that at this point they genuinely believe that they do not need the support of people protesting the genocide to win.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 31, 2024

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nucleic Acids posted:

The ongoing response to the protests seems to indicate that at this point they genuinely believe that they do not need the support of people protesting the genocide to win.

The party as a whole has for my entire life taken its left-ish wing for granted and never once prioritized them over either the squishy center, or a chance to pander to "moderate" Republicans who are totally about to defect en masse this election just you watch.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A judge in Delaware just prevented Elon Musk from being paid $58 billion by Tesla. Tesla shareholders sued arguing that he had not earned that money based on the performance of the company and the board that awarded him that compensation was unduly under the control of Elon.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1752475628929003734

This ruling drops Elon's net worth by about 25%.

He is not taking it well.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1752455348106166598
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1752486201083543842
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1752491924848820595

quote:

New York CNN — A Delaware state court judge has thrown out the 2018 pay package that helped to make Tesla CEO Elon Musk one of the richest people in the world.

Delaware Chancery Court Chancellor Kathaleen McCormick, who oversaw the bench trial that concluded in November 2022, ruled Tuesday that Musk and the Tesla board “bore the burden of proving that the compensation plan was fair, and they failed to meet their burden.”

The 303 million split-adjusted stock options that Musk had received as part of the package are worth $51 billion today, when calculated using Tuesday’s closing price, less the modest exercise price of $23.34 a share.

The case was argued in Delaware, where Tesla and many other major US corporations are incorporated. While Musk did not have an immediate comment on the decision, he did tweet Tuesday, “Never incorporate your company in the state of Delaware.”

Attorneys for the shareholders who brought the suit had argued that the package of stock options was excessive and that the directors on Tesla’s board were not truly independent and were too close to Musk to protect shareholders’ interests.

They also argued that the financial targets the company had to hit for Musk to qualify for each of the 12 separate blocks, or “tranches,” of stock were not the “stretch performance goals” as the company told shareholders when seeking their approval of the package. Instead, they argued the milestones were essentially the same as the company’s internal growth projections that were being shared with banks and rating agencies.

“We are enormously grateful for the court’s thorough and extraordinarily well-reasoned decision in turning back the Tesla board’s absurdly outsized pay package for Musk,” said a statement from Greg Varallo, one of the plaintiff’s attorneys in the case. He said Tesla investors will benefit from the decision by having the “dilution from this gargantuan pay package erased.”

Attorneys for Musk and the Tesla board argued the pay package was approved by a shareholder vote. Excluding the votes owned by Musk and his brother, 73% of the shares voting in that election supported the pay package.

They also argued that the shareholders had seen their Tesla shares massively increase in value since it was granted. The company’s market cap was valued at $54 billion at the time the pay package was approved. It had risen to $607 billion as of the close of trading Tuesday, a gain of more than 1,000%. The Tesla attorneys argued that Musk was a key to that rise in the company’s value and that the pay package was therefore reasonable compensation.

The Tesla attorneys also argued that Musk, who does not receive a cash salary or bonus, would be uncompensated if the package was thrown out.

But McCormick rejected the argument that Musk would be uncompensated if the package was thrown out, writing, “Musk’s preexisting equity stake provided him tens of billions of dollars for his efforts.”

Musk recently said it is important that his stake in Tesla be increased, as a protection against outside investors getting control of the company.

“I am uncomfortable growing Tesla to be a leader in AI & robotics without having ~25% voting control. Enough to be influential, but not so much that I can’t be overturned,” Musk wrote in a post on X. “Unless that is the case, I would prefer to build products outside of Tesla.”

He said at that time the Tesla board was waiting for the court to make a decision in this case before it moved ahead with a new pay package.

He owns about 13% of the company’s shares outright. With the options he has now lost, he would have controlled about 20.6% of the shares. He said he wanted to control at least 25% of the shares of the company.

The decision can be appealed to the Delaware Supreme Court.

Some investors and analysts have suggested it would be a good idea for Tesla to offer Musk a new pay package in order to keep him focused on Tesla’s success rather than distracted by his other interests.

He is the CEO of SpaceX, a privately held space exploration company of which he is the primary shareholder, and he purchased Twitter in 2022, rebranding it X in 2023. He also has a company called the Boring Company that is developing ways to drill tunnels more cost effectively and an AI company called xAI, which he started last year. He is also the primary owner of Neuralink, which has been working toward using implants to connect the human brain to a computer.

Robyn Denholm, the chair of Tesla’s board, testified that the pay package was all about keeping Musk focused on Tesla.

“It was around motivating him to achieve things that were bold and audacious and him putting his time and energy into that as opposed to his other interests,” Denholm said in testimony in the case.

“Quite honestly, I don’t know how much it costs to do any inter-planetary travel. It’s not a hobby of mine,” Denholm said in response to questioning about Musk’s uses for the money.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What is he talking about? It was shareholders that sued him in the first place.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Timbs posted:

What is he talking about? It was shareholders that sued him in the first place.

Not "real" ones or the "majority" of shareholders.

Very few individual shareholders voted in the 2018 vote for his pay package, but of those that did, 73% voted in favor.

The lawsuit is from "outside activist investors" who represented the shareholders who didn't vote or who voted against his compensation plan.

The biggest shareholders in most companies are mutual fund companies or institutional investors who own the shares on behalf of mutual funds or retirement accounts. They generally do not interfere with the running of the company and either abstain from voting or proxy vote however the board recommends. The board recommended everyone support Elon's pay package and most of the funds followed the board recommendation like they usually do, but the shareholders that sued argued that Elon had undue control over the board and improperly used it to have them recommend the pay package for him.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 31, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is kind of an amazing passage:

quote:

Some investors and analysts have suggested it would be a good idea for Tesla to offer Musk a new pay package in order to keep him focused on Tesla’s success rather than distracted by his other interests.

Literally paying a grown man tens of billions of dollars to distract him from tweeting and bribe him into doing work like a toddler.

Also, lmao at Musk claiming that Delaware Chancery Court is biased against corporations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t really blame him for being mad at the court, this is the second time it’s cost him tens of billions of dollars

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://x.com/npl_palestine/status/1752371370598834607?s=20

Looks to me like this story has legs and some legitimacy. It's horrible optics in any case and adds to a growing narrative that the Democrats are pretty similar to Republicans when the rubber meets the road.

Trump has a 4-5 point lead nationally and the Biden team is acting like he's the one 4-5 points ahead like he was in 2020. They're acting like they can win with just their diehards and they can't. The hubris is striking.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 31, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FistEnergy posted:

Looks to me like this story has legs and some legitimacy. It's horrible optics in any case and adds to a growing narrative that the Democrats are pretty similar to Republicans when the rubber meets the road.

Trump has a 4-5 point lead nationally and the Biden team is acting like he's the one 4-5 points ahead like he was in 2020. They're acting like they can win with just their diehards and they can't. The hubris is striking.

They RSVP'd to the event to protest during the speech, made it known that was what they intended to do, have a website where they link to "the truth" about 10/7 and say most Israeli civilian deaths were caused by the Israeli government to frame Hamas, and got disinvited when event coordinators figured it out.

It was posted on the last page.

2,000 views on Twitter is not "legs" either.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 31, 2024

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

FistEnergy posted:

https://x.com/npl_palestine/status/1752371370598834607?s=20

Nah, assuming you've got the election in the bag never works out poorly :v:

... :negative:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Also the claim that Trump has a 4-5 point lead has some major asterisks to it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Please, Elon, change your incorporation to Texas.

Please do it.

You're a business genius.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Ms Adequate posted:

Nah, assuming you've got the election in the bag never works out poorly :v:

... :negative:

Someone should tell that to Trump's campaign, who are so sure they're winning that their new strategy is to declare "holy war" on Taylor Swift

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

James Garfield posted:

Someone should tell that to Trump's campaign, who are so sure they're winning that their new strategy is to declare "holy war" on Taylor Swift

adding Swifties to juggalos and furries on the comrade list

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

More like Biden has a 10-point lead over Trump based on the last few election cycles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Google Jeb Bush posted:

adding Swifties to juggalos and furries on the comrade list

yiff yiff

woop woop

What sound do Swifties make

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Yeah it's not as if the entire state basically exists to be a corporate HQ.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
My understanding is that most companies incorporate in Delaware due to the long history of other companies having incorporated in Delaware, so there’s a similarly long legal history in Delaware and companies like that boring legal framework to exist in.

So Elon’s totally going to switch to Texas and put a dog on the board of directors.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haveblue posted:

yiff yiff

woop woop

What sound do Swifties make

shake shake?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Also the claim that Trump has a 4-5 point lead has some major asterisks to it.

several of which are "polls out this far suck poo poo because nobody's campaigning seriously yet"

i'll care in six months

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elon’s problem is that his shenanigans threaten to take money away from other corporations. If he was just screwing over poor people Delaware would be all about that, but screwing over rich investors is not what they like.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

James Garfield posted:

Lmao okay fair point, that's about the biggest mistake an American politician could make in this day and age. They're gonna learn what actual popularity is.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This timeline would ALMOST be worth it to witness some kind of online jihad between MAGAts and Swifties.

Almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Zwabu posted:

This timeline would ALMOST be worth it to witness some kind of online jihad between MAGAts and Swifties.

Almost.

Not if it includes poo poo like this. The story broke about an hour ago. A guy in Pennsylvania is waging a war on the federal government, posted a manifesto on YouTube, and presented his father’s severed head wrapped in plastic as the first federal employee killed in his war. YouTube had it up for six hours before it came down. I saw it. It is hosed up beyond belief.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13026501/Man-beheads-federal-employee-father-posts-video-decapitated-head-YouTube.html