Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I know it's really horrific for the families, but I feel like there really needs to be an Emmett Till level photo. But that is a Hurclean task for anyone.

Well you also get people insisting that any kind of coverage and exposure to what’s happening just encourages more people to do it. That reporting on it like it’s background noise is the best thing we can do.

Personally I think making voters look dead kids in the eyes when this happens might start to have an impact.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Killer robot posted:

Go back a little further than that and they just straight up decided not to give you credit because you were black or a single woman.

I think maybe people forget that the loan approval process used to involve an old white dude giving you the Larry David squint in an interview room.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

CNN is putting out clips from the Pence interview now.

His solution to mass shootings: Implement the death penalty at the federal level for shootings that take place in states without the death penalty.

For bonus points: This question came right after his abortion/ "I'll always side on the side of life" question.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1641622311890481152

Thank god, bringing the shooter to justice will finally end this long national nightmare. What are they up to right now?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

Like what? I'm honestly curious.

There's not a lot to drink besides water when you go out for dinner if you exclude alcoholic beverages and sugar water. There's a lot of tasty beers out there however.

2023 and goons need to be taught about diet drinks and tea

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kalit posted:

While you’re not 100% wrong

Sorry, but in what way are they any percent wrong?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does the federal government have an obligation to perpetuate states that are no longer habitable?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

g0del posted:

The southwest is "no longer habitable" in the same way that Social Security is "running out of money" - it's only true if we're completely unwilling to inconvenience rich people/businesses.

I didn't mean now. These water rights negotiations are short-term solutions to a problem that will inevitably get much worse over the next couple of decades. How does the federal government come up with an egalitarian solution when we're not arguing about lawns vs. agriculture but about the existence of any water that isn't trucked in?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You'll get menaced by salt baron goons if you start dumping a billion tons more on the market to cheapen the price.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woah, nobody said anything about making them draw a clock

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

Some citizen journalism: my mom told me today that my Tuckerphile brother-in-law is absolutely melting down over the firing. He's just going to "cancel Fox News" because he doesn't understand how cable packages work I guess.

Maybe he meant figuratively

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Embed doesn't load. There any non-Stormfront sites to link instead?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Adenoid Dan posted:

Is it really such a burden that along with the privileges of being president, he can no longer skinny dip?

I hear he even packs them a hot lunch when he travels

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Judgy Fucker posted:

It's been a trope for some time the older people get the less of a poo poo they give

One that goes back millennia

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The extreme resistance to sanctions and level of investment NATO countries had in Russian businesses was a major issue last year so I’m not exactly sure why I’m supposed to see NATO as exerting economic pressure against Russia.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CNN offering a streaming service that didn’t have CNN will never stop being funny to me. There is so much about how terrible the streaming industry currently is wrapped up in that fact.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I legit think last year or the year before was the first time I had ever even heard of Juneteenth. It was never mentioned ever in my public schooling at all. I don't think it was "a thing" at my large state university either, but that probably more has to do with timing with June being summer break and all. It really did feel like a year or two ago it just popped out of no where and then was suddenly everywhere, but I did some reading into it and I am fully behind it.

My high school focused on our own state's emancipation day and not Texas'.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Maybe this is me being a bad stereotype for my people, but I find it wild that over half of Americans are tipping their cable installers at least sometimes.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1672238345684938757

I’m done with tipping outside of the customary services like waiting, food delivery, and gig work. Everybody’s got their hand out for a tip now, even automated cashiers. The payment services get a cut off the entire transaction so they’re highly motivated to push tipping everywhere.

zoux posted:

I mean there was a lot of that going around before hand, owners skimming tips they aren't entitled to was common before everyone had a tablet at POS.

Yeah when I worked at a coffee shop the owner always took a cut of the tips when she was around.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 23, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Yep. Putin is a mobster and a fuckhead, but it has been a bit disquieting watching supposedly level-headed people drooling to see Russia become a larger version of post-Khaddafi Lybia, only with nukes.

"Shut up about the Azov battalion, Russia has the Wagner Group which is even nazi-er! I mean, um, those brave freedom fighters may reach Moscow and remove the tyrant any day now, yay! What, they were bought off? So back to being nazis. Update your talking points, everyone."

Do you think Russia will get to have a peaceful, democratic transition of power away from Putin? A Russia able to concentrate its power to invade its neighbors seems worse than infighting.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 25, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cat botherer posted:

Nobody thinks that. However, that fact doesn't imply that any transition of power away from Putin would be a good thing.

Europe is currently experiencing what a concentration of power in Putin looks like.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Clarste posted:

I'm not sure why would need Good Karma unless they expect congress to start packing the court or something? They're accountable to no one, that's the whole point. I think the simplest answer is just that judges don't really give a poo poo about their parties after they're appointed, they just have their own personal biases and the biases of their donors.

The timing of Supreme Court decisions is strategic for the party and their donors are GOP donors

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Atahualpa posted:

What strats would those be, exactly? I feel like I'm missing :thejoke: here because this essentially reads like "I did the exact same thing other people being discussed did and got lucky*, guess they should have cared harder. :smug:".

Maybe they showed up at the bureaucrat’s house

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wonder how Desantis is going to pitch the expansion of their means-tested public insurance program

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I took a look at the Citizens site and the only eligibility requirements they cite are 1) being unable to find private insurance or 2) being unable to find private insurance with premiums less than 20% over what Citizens charges so it might not be as bad as I expected. I'm sure they'll be heavily limited by available funds, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haveblue posted:

I can't wait for the AI bubble to pop, the money is treating it like a magic button you can press and Content comes out but it's just making poo poo up and all of it is garbage without extensive tweaking by a human (who you will have to pay). And using it in any context where factual accuracy is important is just laughable because everything it doesn't plagiarize it's just making up out of whole cloth

I use it every day to save me tons of time on Python and Excel scripts. People generically ranting against AI are missing that the issue is certain applications, and even generating people with a dozen fingers isn’t a problem if you’re not going straight to the art version of prod.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haveblue posted:

I hope you're carefully double-checking those scripts and their output

Naturally. I wouldn’t use it for something where it’s not easy to tell when you’re getting the wrong output.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean you realize that the better this gets, the more the companies you work for will be able to leverage it against salaries, and use it to justify aggressive downsizing and pushing more work on people, right?

These new tools are helping me cut down on the "more work," because fussing with Excel and writing Python are only incidental to the actual work I'm meant to be doing. I'm not going to protest by being that guy who spends 20 years building spreadsheets by typing numbers into a Word doc and carefully copy and pasting them into Excel one-by-one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

e: you also sound about as confident as everyone else who was indispensable and well-compensated until they weren't

You sure are reading a lot into what I said.

How is a worker supposed to protest having access to a tool? I’m aware of the issues professions have with different applications of it. I’m aware that anything that makes my life easier means my labor is easier to replace. And? I could ignore it, but I’d be worse at my job and more stressed. If it were any other type of software product I’d ask my management to get me a license.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 13, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't expect you to do anything, but you invited this criticism when you casually dismissed the very well founded fears of people who are facing down serious threats to their livelihood in a country with essentially zero safety net that frequently sides with the entities choosing to gently caress over their labor.

I didn’t dismiss their fears. They are well founded within the profession.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s that, but I’m mostly pointing out that the threat of AI isn’t felt evenly and I don’t just mean for the people who directly profit off of AI.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

From what it appears to be it seems more like "Urban vs Suburban" tbh. Most of the loudest folks in favour of a civil war seem far more invested in being petty tyrants in their own petty fiefdoms of suburbia rather than, lets say, Appalachian people.

Not really sure I have enough to go on to make a real judgment about how a civil war would come about because the people that most insistently bring it up and excitedly draw lines are Jan 6-ers and Twitter-brained left wingers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's the third largest city in the country, one of the biggest logistic hubs, and the biggest railroad hub, this is an incredibly bad post and you should feel bad for making it.

See what I mean about how awful discussions where people draw civil war lines are?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mizaq posted:

I know 1st and 2nd generation immigrants that regularly crossed the Mexican border for work because they still lived in Tijuana who voted for Trump the first time but not the second. Guess they got tired of the border getting worse instead of better? Never did figure out why they voted for him in the first place beyond their FYGM mentality. Something about illegal immigrants not deserving because they essentially cut in line.

I have an in-law like this and it really confuses me. Like, isn’t it a good enough reward for your hard work that you get to be a citizen without constantly having to look over your shoulder and find work willing to pay you without checking your SSN? That you get to have benefits and retirement options?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been calling it Joenances

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's extremely difficult to overstate how much of a loser you are for your constituency when you blow an opportunity like that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RIP lights that came with hazmat disposal instructions that nobody ever followed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sticking 250W heat lamp bulbs in all my fixtures to own the libs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

koolkal posted:

Is that really true? I would figure the ones at the top of the income scale are the ones who are working in surgical roles. Not exactly the ones seeing 100 patients a day.

The ones at the top are coming in for one week or less out of the month to do procedures and then loving off to their yacht the rest of the time. Below that is the class that co-operates a clinic and churns through 40+ patients a day.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haveblue posted:

*ten years from now, on msnbc* don't worry about it, every president gets impeached a few times in their first term

Why not? It’s not like it’s proven to be a very meaningful procedure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

Were 1970s-90s serial killers an American phenomenon or were they worldwide? Obviously, one of the most famous serial killers was in England, but he's old-timey...

I suppose it could've also been an Anglophone phenomenon, as we all tend to share a lot of the same problems. (Maybe using a homophone of "cereal" in our language just makes it sound too delicious.)

If you see it as an Anglophone phenomenon that would only be because of availability bias from english-language news sources

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_serial_killers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I don't really get why people thought that DeSantis would be "Trump without the baggage", as if non-conservatives dislike Trump for purely personal reasons. Like, since 2020, DeSantis has essentially made his public persona "hi there I'm here to take over the government, replace everyone in power with my yes-men, and get rid of those pesky minority rights", do they think that just because he doesn't do Trump Twitter Antics that liberals might give him a shot?

Worked for Youngkin