Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Velocity Raptor posted:

I really wish that for all mass shootings, they didn't give any attention at all to the shooter. Just simply refer to them as "the shooter" and focus on the victims. Keep track of all the other info for research purposes, but don't present them to the general public.

Mass shootings happen because someone wants to make a statement (and maybe sbc), and the news broadcasting who they were, speculating on why they did it, transcribing their manifesto in whole if there is one, and generally giving all the attention to the killer instead of the victims and survivors (both at the shooting, and the victims' families). Mostly all we hear about the victims is statistics and that "the community is healing."
I know when there was that bad massacre in Australia or NZ a couple of years ago the media there would not release the person's name or their manifesto. Unfortunately our press here in the US just helps to feed into this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would appreciate it if they would just say that they don't care, like that one TN GOP legislator did yesterday

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

This is so Handmaiden’s Tale that they should change the license plate motto from “Famous Potatoes” to “Blessed Be The Fruit.”

They may be the first, but they will be far from the last

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Anything fun happen in the Howard Schultz hearing today?
I think this qualifies

https://twitter.com/jordanzakarin/status/1641090591155953664?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Even with those charges I still see him mopping the floor with DeSantis next year

He'll just cry that he's the victim and his supporters will ignore the charges

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Framboise posted:

So does this actually amount to anything, or is it another badge he gets to wear on his martyr sash like his impeachments? It'd be nice to see an actual, real, tangible, life-affecting consequence.
Depends on whether he gets convicted or not

But I would doubt that he's facing serious prison time. We just won't know until the actual charges are unsealed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You know, I used to think that Ted Cruz bending the knee for Trump in 2016 was the most pathetic thing I've seen in politics, but this weird Pence defense of Trump has to be worse

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

imagine getting backed into a corner via questions by Wolf Blitzer of all people.
And on abortion of all issues?? He's a conservative evangelical, we all know he wants abortion to be totally illegal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TGG posted:

The "Drag Show" freakout is still stunning as hell to me. I grew up with Kids in the Hall and In Living Color and so many of the loving people I know who talk about grooming and poo poo will still fondly remember those shows and cannot understand why I might find that strange.
The kinds of people who spend all of their time screaming about ‘groomers’ are just telling on themselves

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean the Monty Python stuff is even before that and it was very popular

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Unironic Let's Go Brandon

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Isn't Vallas basically a Republican pretending to be a Dem?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Queering Wheel posted:

Dave called it

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1643428168710201345?s=20

Thank god. Really needed some good news today.
This should also (in theory) make it harder for the GOP Legislature to keep stripping powers from Dem governors

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Someone showed up with a dump truck full of money to her house, that’s all this is

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm so glad this person caved so that they can pass extremely important laws like this one

https://twitter.com/Davis_Hammet/status/1643696444719628289?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Chuds are just on a roll today

https://twitter.com/AlannaVagianos/status/1643770222476767234?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Buddy, you're supposed to be going "actually I am losing on purpose, this is all part of the plan" *after* you start losing, not *before*.
"it's not blood, it's victory wine"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Morrow posted:

It's the only avenue that DeSantis's consultants have that presents a path to getting a paycheck for another year.
Yeah it's actually smart of them to get him to agree to this, because they get to be employed for at least the entire primary season

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This terrible Chudge finally did the thing everyone had been expecting for like a month

https://twitter.com/5DollarFeminist/status/1644467530948390914?s=20

It's being pointed out that this was dumped after 5 PM on Good Friday and that's probably on purpose

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cimber posted:

Ahh yes, the venue shopping of the GOP worked. No surprise there. Disgusting, and hopefully the 2nd court of appeals issues a stay while the appeals process goes forward and more than 7 days.
I would be extremely surprised if they didn't stay this on appeal, this entire case is nonsense. Also that drug is used for many other things besides abortion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well this all got weirder

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1644474146716352512?t=HDbjV3GuXIFl3c0QLCu0Rw&s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like the feds need to start getting involved with this poo poo

https://twitter.com/KSolomonReports/status/1644457272133709825?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

lil poopendorfer posted:

Were these government agents organizing and planning this protest?
That wouldn't shock me, to be honest

There were certain areas of federal law enforcement that were explicitly pro-Trump

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We were talking about Tim Scott potentially running for President in 2024, and just like Mike Pence in a different interview a couple of weeks ago he refused to say he would support a bill by Lindsay Graham to set a 15 week abortion ban nationwide.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1646261339361361921?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is such a bizarre tack to take for the "100% pro-life" people. Especially since people like DeSantis and others are okaying 6-week limits. Mike Pence of all people being not sure if he would support a 15-week limit is a wild choice in particular. Is there a group out there who were huge Mike Pence fans until they heard he wanted to limit abortion? I can maybe, maybe, see someone like Scott (who 99% of people aren't familiar with) trying to pull something like this and thinking it is a good idea, but still such a weird strategic decision. All of them seem to be blindsided when asked a follow-up question about abortion too.
I have no idea because Pence's whole deal is 'very conservative Christian guy'. You would think he would be gung-ho about full abortion bans but even he won't say that.

It's going to be a problem because the more reactionary parts of the GOP base are pushing their politicians in that direction, not to mention these awful Chud Judges.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The 5th circuit partially upheld the ruling by the crazy Texas judge last night 2-1. They are ordering a mail ban of the drug and saying that doctors cannot use it after 7 weeks

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1646476977744801792?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He’s a piece of poo poo but Trump has some political instincts and also isn’t at all wedded to the GOP so he’s not going to toe the line on everything they want

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's the point of this? Even if Roberts and the seven other justices came out and publicly and called for Thomas to resign (obviously not going to happen), it wouldn't be binding at all.

Roberts doesn't have any power to punish other justices does he?
No, he has no power over them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There was some implication from the Dominion lawyers that there are more cases forthcoming. I believe they are still suing some individual people like Rudy?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes the correct response is to not play the game here

Once you start to capitulate at all things will go south

Plus the House GOP is extremely disorganized and were barely able to elect a speaker in the first place so I have low confidence that they will be able to pass their own bill

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm glad Biden has ignored the GOP's attempts to negotiate on this. I'm just curious if they have a backup plan in the likely event that nothing gets done by the drop-dead date. He has previously said that they are not going to 'mint the coin'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

Like was posted earlier, the backup is probably the 14th amendment approach. Order the treasury to violate the debt ceiling and dare someone to take them to court over it. Then dare the court to rule that the global financial order must implode
I think that's valid but I don't get why he is against minting the coin when it's almost exactly the same play

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't disagree but I think that anything happening in Congress currently is a waste of time, and McCarthy is going to get removed as Speaker if he capitulates and attempts to get through a clean bill at the last minute, so I am very concerned that the only real options are going to be what had previously been expressed as 'extreme/untested measures'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

All it takes is 4 GOP members with rich backers who don’t wanna see their portfolios poo poo the bed.
Didn't McCarthy agree to a rule change that just one member of the House can put a resolution for his removal on the floor at the beginning of this session of Congress? I thought he did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have to imagine there has been movement on those questions since that poll was done 5 years ago...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DeSantis’ other big error was purposely ignoring the national media outlets, which has just resulted in them publishing negative story after negative story about him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Beastie posted:

They tested the SMS Emergency Broadcast system at 4:45AM today. Lot of Floridians are probably tired and grumpy at work.
Can confirm, it loving sucked to have my phone blaring an hour before I had to get up

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I recall an article in Utah saying that there were only 2 known trans athletes in competition at the time that the state banned trans athletes. It's purely punching down because they think it will make their base happy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Are they even able to do that without going through Congress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It will go to the appeals court. Same circuit, but not the same judge. The 5th circuit is mostly conservative judges, but the district judge who made the ruling is an especially wild Trump judge who has had nearly all his rulings overturned (by the mostly Republican appointed appeals court) because of how far out he is.

If that gets appealed, then it goes to SCOTUS and Thomas/Alito have pretty clearly signaled they are on board with the initial 5th circuit ruling. But, the other justices haven't really made clear where they stand on the merits. ACB and Kavanaugh are likely to support based on their history and judicial philosophy that REALLY hates executive agencies making their own rules without explicit instructions from Congress.
The easiest thing for Roberts to do is just throw this whole case out on standing, because the plaintiffs absolutely do not have standing at all and it's a complete joke that this case is going to potentially threaten healthcare access until then.