Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

only 27% of americans valuing community is extremely grim

Money circulates around the community and while that poll didn't demonstrated it well, it's obvious that money is the most important value to Americans, and by proxy the community.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

They are reporting at this time 3 children have died. This is about 15 minutes from where I live. Fortunately I don't have kids, nor do I plan to. But the community was already talking about it when I got out of the gym and stopped at a store on the way home.

This is how common this is now, that it's not even the top story on CNNs home page. Everyone is just so desensitized to it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Randalor posted:

Please excuse me if I burst into laughter at the first few "Thoughts and Prayers" from politicians because of how darkly comical sending "thoughts and prayers" to a shooting at a CHRISTIAN school is. Listen, if God didn't help them during the shooting, sending more prayers their way sure as gently caress won't change anything.

Or will the narrative now change to "Well, it wasn't as bad as Uvalde, so we see no reason to do anything"?

Jesus Christ the 2nd amendment was the worst thing to come out of the US, and that's including the racism at this point.

Don't go into the comments on the Fox news article.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Has this been discussed yet? https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-disney-new-reedy-creek-board-powerless-20230329-qalagcs4wjfe3iwkpzjsz2v4qm-story.html

It looks like Disney's district Reedy Creek signed over almost all of their responsibilities to Disney the day before the Florida house voted to put DeSatan in charge. The new 5 Republican board has almost no control except over Roads and basic infrastructure. Apparently this declaration is valid “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” according to the document.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

They had an open meeting the day before where there were questions, but they quickly passed it through the board.meeting and voted on it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

CNN reporting NY grand jury has voted to indict trump.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The rhetoric that the five were just spouting on Fox news was insane.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If it's 30+ charges, would the likelihood of them booking and releasing go way down compared to the flimsy singular charge that people thought was the case hours ago? It seems like with 30 charges, that poo poo just got real.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Would be great if at 4pm we get news that Fani Willis is indicting trump.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://katv.com/news/local/gov-san...ney-information

The Mucinex snot from Arkansas wants the federal government to cover 100% on tornado cleanup.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Have we talked about how the Farmington NM Police Department showed up to the wrong house and killed the home owner yet? The video was released last night. Happened a week or so ago. The press release I quickly read earlier looks like they are going for the unfortunate event angle with lots of apologies.

https://youtu.be/jh5idYV2ifQ

The channel I don't know about but it appears to be the released video that isn't a news segment.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Indictment #2 watch:. https://www.ajc.com/politics/trump-probe-da-urges-law-enforcement-to-prep-for-indictments-this-summer/56OGCLMNOVGPXMJ6YXDPXQOSWY/

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/georgia-prosecutor-reveal-charging-decisions-trump-probe-summer-rcna81242

GA law enforcement told to beef up for possible Trump indictment. She will announce one way or another between July 11 and Sept 1 it appears.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

These 1500 troops being deployed to the border seems very iffy. They do say that the troops will be used in a support role, but it feels like it's tiptoeing on the posse comitatus act.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question, has there been some directive to stop routine traffic enforcement in the past few years(COVID timeframe)? I've lived in several places and aside from highway patrol on interstates I just don't see police pulling people over for traffic infractions. I've also seen the quality of driving decline as a result. Almost every light has 1 ow 2 cars now sneaking through the red as the light changed from yellow. I've also seen more egregious blowing through solid reds or stop signs much more frequently than I ever had before. And I look around and just don't see police pulling cars over like pre COVID.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

That doesn't look like a crack but a full sever. I'm curious if more comes out on how long it was like this. I suppose it's possible it broke the same day the video was taken.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Over the weekend I was at a busy bar downtown in a city outside of a major military base in a big red state, and the only national beer offering that they had was Bud light. Everything else was craft.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's wild that so many Americans need a pill or injectable or some pharma solution for weight loss. I understand *some* people really need solutions like this. But weight loss for most people isn't some obscure process. It's a matter of eating less and moving more, period. Too many Americans are just outright lazy.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Adenoid Dan posted:

There are so many tips and tricks for losing weight exactly because it is very difficult and most people aren't successful at it in the long term.

It really isn't. There are nutrition labels on nearly everything, even if they are 20% off, it's not hard to add 20% to the calories, log it in an app(by scanning), and then eating less calories than you should. People act like losing weight is hard, it's not. If people can go to work and be a doctor, lawyer, IT professional, they can lose weight. I'd even go as far as saying if you can run a cash register, you have the ability to do the math needed to lose weight.

America just isn't a healthy country, both nutritionally and mentally. The general public just isn't read to accept that fact.

Liquid Communism posted:

If it were simply a matter of moving more and eating less, obesity would not be as prevalent as it is. The causes are much more varied, but often psychological and therapy is a bitch to obtain even when you have decent insurance and aren't eating yourself to death as a passive form of suicide by self neglect.

It absolutely is. Weight loss is 100% calories in vs calories out. You will not find someone who eats less calories than they burn, and adding weight.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

It's really disingenuous to characterize the argument being made as 'why are all you fatties denying thermodynamics'. That isn't remotely the point, calories in < calories out is so reductionist as to be utterly useless when addressing the causes of obesity.

Nobody is debating that there are reasons and in some cases, excuses why eating less doesn't work for people. But it's known that if you eat less than your TDEE you lose weight, if you eat more than it you gain weight. The issue likely lies with people's interpretation on what is healthy, how much should they eat, etc. But the US has an obesity problem and it really is solved for most(not all) by moving more, and eating less. That's a solution that requires work vs a pill or an injection so people don't want to do it.

Anecdotal story, during COVID I got up to 250lbs, felt like poo poo, had NAFL and had my physical. Dr. said I needed to lose weight. Prescribed me blood pressure medication, etc.

Instead of taking it, I ate less, drank more water, and moved move. Couldn't get back in the gym as it was peak COVID,but I went out and walked an hour daily. 5 months later I was 35lb lighter, blood pressure was better, liver enzymes were better and my Dr. was shocked. He flat out told me that I did what nearly nobody does that came into his office: I put in the effort to make a lifestyle change.

The reality is most Americans don't want to do the work to make the change. They want a pill for losing weight(remember hydroxycut 20 years ago?), They need a pill for HBP(yes it can be genetic,but not always), they want a pill for diabetes, they need something for sleep apnea.

Does getting down to a healthy weight fix all of it? Surely not, but it sure and poo poo helps, but the overwhelming majority of people don't want to do that. It requires changes to their lifestyle which is hard.

I'm glad there are solutions for real health issues out there, that's wonderful. But let's not make excuses for people that don't want to get off their asses and move more.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

woozy pawsies posted:

Here's an actual obesity expert who works with people who are obese talking about how you're wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9zXeiwYOBQ&t=1453s

He didn't say I was wrong. He said some people lack willpower, and a prescription should help those people. Good for them. Moving more and eating less will work just as well.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

ryde posted:

Saying "If you're getting sufficient calories you're not hungry your body is just sending you hunger signals" is pretty... unhelpful. Yes I understand that, but it still sucks laying in bed trying to ignore that my body is sending me "hunger signals" because I didn't eat several hours before bed. Frankly it comes off as pedantic nitpicking.

Eating before bed because you are hungry is one of the worst things you can do. You've probably programmed yourself that eating before bed is normal.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Sure, in the same way that the solution to a power outage is "to just get more power" or the solution to the housing crisis is "just build more houses" or the solution to insomnia-induced exhaustion is "just get more sleep" - it's a "solution" in the least helpful way, because it casually glides over all the things that make that solution difficult to actually implement in practice.

The amount of excuses people are making here for not wanting to make simple changes to lifestyle to not be fat is astonishing. Deciding to take the stairs, or purposefully not park close to the store. Or go for a 30 minute walk daily. These things add up. Drinking water instead of soda. Tracking calories, understanding what is a proper portion size of good nutritious food. These aren't hard things. They really aren't.

We can have the conversation about how the education on this is poor in this country, which is fair. However, we have a country that would rather scroll tiktok, and veg out on their vices rather than take accountability for their actions.

Understanding basic weight loss education is available on YouTube for anyone that gives a poo poo. Getting off the computer chair and going for a 30 minute walk daily for 6 months makes a drastic impact on people's lives, but that requires work.

The amount of people that have honest true debilitating restrictions preventing people then from weight loss is tiny compared to the amount of Americans that are just gluttonous, and lazy.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Sure, and they are also entirely ineffective. I do all of those things. I exclusively drink water, I park as far away from places as I can, I go out daily and for three days a week those are half hour runs, not just walks. I track my calories (although this one is a lot harder than you seem to be giving credit for, it takes at least a half an hour of effort a day in days that don't always have that much free time and requires a constant mental vigilance that never, ever stops becoming draining) and generally eat healthy, nutritious food. I'm glad I do all that stuff! I'm certainly healthier for it, in general, than if I didn't. But as a weight loss solution?

I am still fat as gently caress, because it turns out none of those actually matter all that much. None of that poo poo is the hard part! Plenty of people who do none of that are skinny, and plenty of people that do all of that are not, and your inability to understand those basic empirical facts is damning. That you don't actually seem to even be aware of the "hard parts", based on that list, makes you particularly ill-suited to give any sort of advice. If you want to be convincing, you need to start by communicating actual understanding of the problem, which you clearly do not. You are trying to propose solutions to a problem when you don't know what the problem actually is and being so adamant about having the answer makes you come across looking stupid to everyone who isn't similarly ignorant.

The absolute best solution for weight loss I've ever found isn't any of the bullshit the "weight loss is easy" crowd in this thread are pushing, nor is it pharmacological solutions. The best solution for weight loss is a supportive environment. Which, if you recall what was being talked about before this conversation started, is the thing that is in most rapid decline nowadays.

Except I do. I interacted earlier I let myself go a few years ago, was the heaviest I had ever been. Bag of Doritos, ate them all in one sitting. Package of Oreos? One sitting. I had no self control. You know what worked? Exercising and not having that stuff at home. Because if I did, I ate it all in one go. Self control is harsh nobody is saying that's easy.

It's doable, but it requires effort. You know what doesn't require effort? Being a fat slob and taking a pill or a shot.

Edit: Again, for people with honest medical conditions I'm glad those are an option. This isn't the case for the average American though. They just want an easy instant or near instant solution to everything with minimal effort.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 9, 2023

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Adenoid Dan posted:

You are one person, with one person's experience and one person's circumstances, and you putting on a handful of pounds and then losing them does not equate to a often a lifetime of trying and failing to lose weight.

Going from 185 to 250 isn't a handful of pounds. It's 30% weight gain.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Adenoid Dan posted:

Great, fantastic for you. The point is exactly the same.

Yes. I worked to lose the weight. You're right.

My point is still the same that people want an easy solution to lose weight. They always have.

They'll be taking Olympic, HBP medication, diabetes medication, and half a dozen others while still munching down on their chips lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

World Famous W posted:

you were of good weight to start with, had a lifestyle change you didn't like caused by covid lockdowns, then went back to your old lifestyle.

not very applicable to people who've been fat since puberty kicked in

Actually I was a good weight when I was in college. Quit smoking cold turkey(oh hey, willpower) put on 30lbs over the next 10 years, then during COVID added about another 30.

The point still stands. Moving more and eating less works. It even works exceptionally well for those who are morbidly obese.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

I wonder if it would ever reach a point where the capitalists would realize that if they played a role in improving the conditions of life for all people, there would be less theft and perhaps they would not eventually be destroyed by a desperate underclass.

That's a valid suggestion. However, some people don't want to work for things, they don't want to work to improve their quality of life. I'm not sure improving the quality of life would have prevented the ransacking in Philly last night.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In joints that you don't pay a monthly fee to, scanning poo poo yourself is way better

sorry to anyone whose costco membership isn't doing returns

I don't get paid to scan my own poo poo.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Any idea who the late entry into the republican primary that Drudge is running with right now? It's just a headline that doesn't have an associated link.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Oracle posted:

This was the most eyebrow-raising bit for me:

So this is the oath every enlisted that joins the US Military takes:

This is the oath that officers take upon being appointed to rank:

So Milleys response can be taken two ways:
1) I took an oath to obey the orders of the president of the United States and officers above me, and that’s what I did; there was no insubordination.

2) I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and that includes this fuckstick trying for a coup and I assure you I am not alone in the military in that.

I increasingly get the feeling we were a hell of a lot closer to a military takeover than has been publicly made known, and while it would not have been in support of Trump (the leadership seems to hate his guts almost to a man, and the CIA doesn’t seem far behind) it would have been a serious blow to democracy nonetheless.

Go look at r/conservative or patriots.win over the past week for anything Milley. The right absolutely believes Milley was a traitor by going behind Trump's back and communicating with China.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Do we know when the vote might be today?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://x.com/YWNReporter/status/1716538018775875880?s=20

Maybe better suited to Israel/ Palestine thread, but probably related to Iran claiming to attack 3 US military bases in Syria.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The nation being desensitized to gun violence is apparent. Even on this forum, the discussion is quite limited compared to mass shootings of the past. The crazy thing about this one, is the guy is nowhere to be seen. Just shot up 30+ people and poofed out of there. Now they think he might be in Massachusetts, based on a car. The latest is that his boat is missing.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Sounds like they may have the shooter surrounded at a house. FBI is at the suspects home saying "Come out with your hands up."

Zotix fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 27, 2023

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

I refuse to believe this.

https://x.com/connorclementtv/status/1717683203710894376?s=20

https://x.com/_KOBrien/status/1717682330683199634?s=20

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

they already looked in the home according to cnn

Yeah but they are back. CNN is covering it live as well. The police seem to think there's a good chance he's in there. Multiple drones, helicopter overhead, and lots of police flooded there again in the past half an hour. Obviously not 100% sure he's in there, but there's some reason they flooded back there.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ya CNN's Evan Perez said he spoke with the police and they said something prompted them to go back to the house, not sure what it was. But they are going through the motions they need to go through.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

i am a moron posted:

My buddy is a poll worker at our location in Delaware, said there were more people than the 2022 midterms by a lot and lots of women with their daughters. I also talked to multiple dudes I would describe as corporate republican types who were a hell yes on 1. I think it’s gonna sail through.

What are we talking about here?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://x.com/CNN/status/1723084717740663196?s=20

Oh Mayor Adams...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

They've also referred their findings to the justice Dept.