Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Pickelball is the official state sport of Washington State and was created in Bainbridge Island as a kid's game in 1965.

Just about every school in the state has pickleball as part of their physical education course. It is probably the only physical sport where a couch potato can be within reach of the most talented jock with just a little practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In mine, fighting back bought you a little breathing space, then you got hauled in for fighting and sanctimoniously lectured about "how it takes two to tango" and other such boomer bullshit.

Just want you to know I felt this post.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
With regards to economics having an effect on social issues (such as racism), it is important to remember that the narrative that these things are separate is a core tenant of clinton-era centrist thought. It is necessary for economics to not matter nearly as much as social issues, so that democrats can continue justifying being economically conservative.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It comes from the belief by some goons that 18 is not an acceptable definition of adulthood.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I like this chart because it tracks with the end of the covid relief program.

Literally just give people the money.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Judgy Fucker posted:

Bigfoot is one thing since you can't prove it doesn't exist

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mustang posted:

Washington is full of examples of urban spaces that people like to go shop at that aren't anything like a traditional mall.

Most famous being Pike Place Market in Seattle which has a year round farmers market, art stalls, independent shops, restaurants, etc over several blocks. Seattle also has several "neighborhood main streets" with shops and restaurants that are crowded on the weekends.

Just about every city and town in Washington has a lively downtown mainstreet that's mostly independent shops and restaurants, with few if any chain brands present.

Personally, this is the ideal shopping environment to me. I don't get the allure of reviving malls unless they're very different than they currently are. If you've been to one mall you've been to them all, nearly all the shops and restaurants are the same.

WA actually has something called a Main Street Program that encourages these kind of urban commercial spaces: https://dahp.wa.gov/local-preservation/main-street-program

Meanwhile, the Everett Mall is some sort of bizarre zombie mall. Lost all of its anchor stores except one, but they've made some changes so that mid-sized stores technically count as anchor stores now. I went through there a couple times in the past year or two, the food selection is always changing except for like 4 ethnic food places, one of which is a teriyaki stall that's been there since the late 80's. They also brought back an arcade, split between two small corner stores, but most of the games are overpriced and some of them are just arcade versions of mobile games.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's a weird feeling knowing I'm in the minority now, as a middle age white guy, who prefers to be surrounded by naked women than naked men.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean I'd probably be more comfortable surrounded by naked dudes, since that's something I experience regularly in locker rooms.

Which one I'd prefer is entirely different.

yeah I probably should have said comfortable too, but in my mind they're mostly the same meaning. why would one prefer something uncomfortable?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

I am intensely curious how old this part of the green party platform is:

This could be achieved with the passage of a basic income. Time and money are the major factors for most of these pursuits. hint hint, green party.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Alternatively, if you want to see a reduction in theft, implement a basic income. A significant portion of crime is driven by a need to make ends meet, especially after losing a job and your state fails you with their meager social safety nets.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It would not surprise me if kids figured a nicotine addiction alone isn't a problem, it was the cancer causing stuff in cigarettes that was the real problem.

I'm also curious how many kids are using vapes not for nicotine (or cannabis), but just breathing in flavored air.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Wait, did you not fight the balrog and get your special sword? Haha look at this guy he didn't get his special sword or kill the balrog.

This is not a joke, this was a real sales pitch for the marines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tnJtLBQzQ

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Hello, this is my post about kissinger.

I'm glad nobody has to worry about his continuing influence.

Please watch this video and skip to about 11:54, or watch the whole thing it's a good episode.

Thanks for reading!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Something people aren't aware of is the government could just set price caps on things.

Would be nice to have some rent control.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Another thing to consider, mostly toward the finance sector but also tech and other white collar jobs, is that a new generation was being told to spend their first years as an adult busting their rear end working 80 hour weeks. Then you can step off the accelerator by around 30 or so and you'll have enough wealth to own a home, start a family and generally coast on life.

What that advice didn't say is how that would be impacted by a sudden inflationary spike.

It turns out that not only is that horrible for your social life and identity, all that wealth you created isn't worth what it could've been. You worked away your most productive years of your life for a fraction of what was promised. Now you have to choose two out of three.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Who's a good role model for young white men anyway?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

C. Everett Koop posted:

have you heard of this underdog named tom brady

the guy who kisses his son on the lips, or the sub-zero main who said the n word?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

12 years a lurker posted:

The price of the overprocessed food we shouldn't be eating anyway is killing the vibes. Trustbust PepsiCo.

this, but because 12-packs almost doubled in price since the pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Anecdotal, but some of my acquaintances and former work buddies seem to have caught on to the cheaper housing in the midwest/south and have been vocal about moving there. These are people who live in the seattle metropolitan areas. Only one of them made good on their move.

I get the desire to own a home, but I don't believe they are thinking this all the way through.