Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's not necessarily about cash. Vanity and ambition should not be underestimated. By being a deciding vote and switching sides, she becomes important. No doubt she has been wined and dined and been given great attention by high Republican officials and important lobbyists as well.

A guy who was my rep for a while in Washington State before he became a Senator, Rodney Tom, switched sides to the Republicans to swap control of the Senate. To seal the deal they made him the Majority Leader. The D-party organizations censured him for, quote, "Gross disloyalty" and "Perfiduous behavior". It killed his electoral career despite his title; he never won another election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Gumball Gumption posted:

What happened to the judge in Washington who ruled that the FDA can't restrict access? How does that play into setting precedent?

It's a thing that happened, but everyone would rather get a stay than play the Dueling Court Orders minigame.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Velocity Raptor posted:

I had seen this story covered by CNN I'm curious as to why they only reinstated Jones to his position. From the CNN article, he was appointed back to his position since a special election isn't for a couple of weeks. But does anyone more familiar with TN state politics as to why only one of the two ousted members were reinstated?

It's not the state government reinstating them; it's local governments. Different local governments that operate on different political and bureaucratic schedules. Expect both to be reinstated before too long.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Water rights arguments have always been insane. The Hoover Dam is named after Hoover not because he built it, but because he managed to get the relevant states to make even the slightest progress on water distribution agreements; thus was a prerequisite for the dam to even get started.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

...it's literally stopping it right now, that's why its a topic of conversation. it's forcing McConnell and Feinstein out.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

Uh, stopping what exactly? Is there a positive effect on American democracy when you have to be seriously injured or a demented vegetable to be maybe carted out of politics because you can't make it to a particular room?

this is so weird. do you *actually* prefer the alternative of Feinstein('s aides) continuing to vote for her remotely?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

TheDisreputableDog posted:

So Fetterman needs to go, huh.

do we really need to specify that its long term debilitation thats the problem

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

These issues are only really for long haul trucks, right? Short haul trucks - also in the bill - seem like they can convert to EV without nearly as many issues.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

We're in higher danger than ever of that crash, Imo. McCarthy clearly does not have control of his party, and repeated rounds of purges may have finally put an end to Republicans willing to cross the aisle on these votes. Plus, the mess in Florida with DeSantis and Disney shows how loose the control of the corporate paymasters has become.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

kronix posted:

This isn't me purposely spreading misinformation, of course a lot of issues unrelated to the drivetrain because most EVs are packed with tech. My only point is that yes, in theory EVs should be more reliable. We have a nearly century of data for diesel trucks and we don't have data for battery electric trucks in the wild. EV motors don't last forever and will likely need to be replaced many times over the life of a truck, same with batteries. You can't do total cost of ownership without that data.

I didn't mean it's only for the uneducated, just that you don't need any special education to become a truck driver. It's a tough career but it's a job that you can actually support a family with maybe and save for retirement while not completely destroying your body. One of my dad's drivers was a refugee from central America who barely spoke english when he arrived went on to become an owner operator and that truck helped put his kid through college and eventually medical school.

Going after truck drivers is literally the opposite of what the Democratic party should be doing.

Full size EVs haven't been practical until recently, but we've had electric forklifts for literally a hundred years, undergoing intense daily workload. Electric buses and electric locomotives have a long history. Hybrid vehicles have been around for decades. Electric motors and drive trains are not some newfangled device with teething issues. Their problems are predictable and the engineering challenges are known.

And noone is 'going after truck drivers.'

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 18, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I hope Fox has legally agreed that Tucker Carlson should have to wear a novelty shirt at all times saying "I AM A BIG LIAR AND I SMELL LIKE FARTS".

at the very least the next election will be funny with fox hosts saying things like "This election is very dubious! But not because of the voting machines, which are incredibly reliable and trustworthy." while glancing just offscreen at the lawyer

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Biden's simply not gonna pull the trigger on the coin without a scenario where he can frame the GOP as having forced him into it to save the global economy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Jarmak posted:

They evacuated the politicians under armed guard and shoot a rioter in the head in the process of keeping them back. What about that situation made you think the issue was intent not ability?

mostly that jan 6 was more of a riot than anything, disorganized af and everyone there had their own intent. they were riding high on mob energy. so ascribing pretty much any intent to 'Them' is both possible and probably inaccurate.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No. That’s incorrect.

“9. Based on false allegations that the election was stolen, Trump summoned tens of thousands of supporters to Washington for January 6. “

“12. Each of these actions by Trump was taken in support of a multi-part conspiracy to overturn the lawful results of the 2020 presidential election.”

That is fair and defensible, but the jan 6 rioters being united by hating democracy doesn't proceed automatically to Murder Death Kill.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

From reading one of those articles a while back, its pretty clear there's some outright bribery and corruption going on in the relevant sections of HHS. People who asked too many questions got fired.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, noted. Could you address any of my other points please? Such as the question that others have asked you, for whom is continuous growth "perfectly sustainable"?

Continuous growth at the macroeconomic level is perfectly sustainable so long as the causes of continuous growth are sustained: population growth and technological advances. Continuous growth of individual companies is sustainable until they exhaust their market. See Meta.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Republican plan for some time now has been to make the country as ungovernable and nonfunctional as possible when they aren't in power. Politically, it hasn't been a failure for them, even if it hasn't been a success either.

It helps that Fox News is so assiduously dedicated to controlling the narrative.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cartels also usually don't work in a competitive enough market. I think the magic number is like 5 or so major participants.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

zoux posted:

They went from record profits to record losses in one quarter because Trump went a way and scared and angry liberals stopped watching cable news. CNN isn't trying to bring in consevatives, they are energizing their base - so to speak - by putting on frightening Trump spectacles for terrified liberals to freak out about. No one who is persuadable on Trump (and it may be that no one is persuadable on Trump, I think public sentiment is pretty well cemented in that regard) watches CNN, we've spent the last 10 years fretting about media bubbles and the fact that half the country gets its news from essentially propaganda sources. Conservative voters don't read the NYT op ed columns, they don't tune into CNN to hear policy discussions, they watch Fox and read Facebook. This was, essentially, CNN trolling their liberal viewership base in the classic sense: putting on intentionally inflammatory content in order to drive engagement. There is a bias in the media, it's not towards a political spectrum, it's towards the bottom line. And Trump is very, very good for the bottom line. They want him to win.

CNN's leadership has been pretty open about a deliberate rightward shift. They want to eat Fox from the left.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I think the point was that Putin is the product of an avowedly communist society. In any cas, he certainly isn't a product of capitalism.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Morning Joe was literally hosted by a Republican congressman, and oftentimes it showed. Not great if that's what counts as centrist

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the insult isn't that they're kissing. the insult is that they're so close. saying 'trump is in bed with putin' isn't homophobic.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Adenoid Dan posted:

Sure, if you want to ignore all of our cultural context.

Our cultural context is that the visual shorthand of any close relationship is holding hands, kissing, and so on and so forth.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

How would you depict two people having a close relationship, visually?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Queering Wheel posted:

Even if Biden wins next year, a Republican is probably going to be president again sometime this decade just because of how US voters tend to switch parties every few terms for Reasons

What will we do when that happens? Hope that the GOP became less extreme by that time?

The current strategy is to pray that demographic change / olds dying off fixes everything

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

She definitely failed. It's not like she could have succeeded - what is she gonna do, cut his mic? Trump would never have attended if so. But that's irrelevant; noone forced her to take the job, and she had to have known how it would go down.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

There's always a lot of governors and would-be governors floating around with presidential ambition. I don't think Inslee is gonna run again, but people like that for sure.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

until 1995 the house had a rule that the debt ceiling was just automatically raised by virtue of passing the budget

it was explicitly repealed by republicans wanting to grandstand

In other words the debt ceiling is a self inflicted wound on many levels, specifically by republicans.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Seattle transit suffered enormously from regional transit planning and funding being coordinated at the state level. While this might sound good in abstract, in practice the result was that everywhere that wasn't Seattle refused to pay a dime for Seattle transit; it kneecapped everything.

There was an earlier attempt at a mass transit system that was going to build out the monorail (as opposed to the current completely separate light rail system.). IIRC they got so far as buying the right of way and land for the stations before the one of the yearly state propositions to cancel its funding succeeded and all that effort was wasted.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The charitable view is that polling can change dramatically during primaries, but that doesnt usually happen with an incumbent.

The uncharitable view is that the media is wired for Republicans and have been faithfully writing up DeSantis stories for literally years with horse-race articles about how he's fueling his national ambitions by killing off as many old people as he can.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Goons: "I would just dare them to shoot the hostage."

poo poo sucks, but they said a while ago that they felt a 14th amendment solution would get jammed in the courts, so a deal was inevitable. And yeah you don't get what you want when the other guy has a veto.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Anyone the Supreme Court wants to have standing. Originalism.jpg

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Widespread respect for the Supreme Court as an institution is its only real protection from partisan kneecapping by whoever controls Congress or from ''good luck enforcing that' by the Executive. Which is why their current course is so fuckin stupid.

unless you want to destroy civic trust in government and don't give a poo poo so win/win for republicans i guess.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

this is exactly what joe biden wanted all along, which is why these cuts are happening during a cutthroat negotiation with a Republican-controlled house instead of at like, literally any other point. I bet he and the freedom caucus got together at epstein island and raised a glass of wine while toasting evil.

c'mon posters.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Celexi posted:

I don't understand this Line of thinking either. Why do we have to shove two people from a group of 10 down the hill instead of 8 and instead not shove anyone at all?

Because Republicans control the House and they want their pound of flesh.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Regardless of what you think of her allegations towards Biden, Reade was involved in the Russian propaganda network long before the 2020 election; not just her personal statements, but things like videos featuring her being distributed on Russian channels on topics like i.e. the 2019 crisis in Bolivia. So her defection doesn't come out of nowhere or anything.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

one of the reasons i dont post in dnd much anymore is because the moderation culture is extremely permissive about rampant rape culture as long as the targets are deemed acceptable.

the disgusting things posted about tara here have shown that this place is not safe for victims of SA and honestly for women in general. i hope you all are proud of yourselves for carefully cultivating one of the most accepting places to post "this alleged rape victim is prooooooobably a liar" on this entire website

What would you suggest? Probating anyone that casts any doubt on Reade's accusations?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

Theres a slim possibility that the court cases do serious damage to Trump or take him out of the running is there not? In which case the frontrunner would be DeSantis and theres plenty of reason for people to believe they could beat him

Besides, I bet several of these people are REALLY running for VP, or the Cabinet.

I am intrigued to see how Ron DeSantis vs Trump will play out.

Edit: I doubt any Republican is capable of owning Trump on the debate stage. Its a trap. He'll own them all like last time.

I have my doubts there will be any debates whatsoever for the 2024 election or primaries.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Idk who it is backing Chris Christie, but he's had at least a couple columns touting him in the New York Times recently.

I'd say his constituency is rich GOP donors who would prefer Not Trump but see DeSantis as a lost cause or a loose cannon.

If he's going for VP after what happened last time, lol. lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

also re traffic chat

I can only speak for Washington State here, but the traffic data is actually pretty weird. In terms of # of accidents, roads are actually safer than ever; accidents are down by a lot across the board, even ignoring 2020-2021 for covid reasons. That includes pedestrians/bikes accidents, drunk driving, distracted driving, everything. But the absolute number of fatalities is still notably up!