Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

only 27% of americans valuing community is extremely grim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thats a really horrible and sad story

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Kith posted:

Do you happen to have a source comparing train costs to airline costs?

If you do, does it happen to cover the environmental difference between the two?

the reason it costs more for one day delivery shipping isn't just to get more money out of you, air is more expensive. capital costs and operating costs are both higher. like a diesel locomotive can cost up to two million, meanwhile a new 737 is almost 90 million.

environmental damage from flying is far worse too so if we had taxes to cover those externalities air shipping would be even more expensive.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Fister Roboto posted:

At least unlike Ginsburg, if Feinstein dies in office, her replacement can be appointed immediately and without Republican interference.

So of course that's exactly what's not going to happen.

what do you think is going to happen?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mooseontheloose posted:

Fienstein has found the holy grail, she will live forever now.

the eternal senator... my respect.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ignorant but well meaning old people can probably be reached but anyone screaming about groomers or litter boxes in schools is a lost cause

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Gyges posted:

I guess Texas has been feeling left out of the conversation about which state is the worst.
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1649183211946233863?t=SLXl4XyloTyOjVSiqUAhEg&s=19

extremely laughing at the one guy they talked to who opposes the bill

quote:

In opposition to the bill, John Litzler, general counsel and director of public policy at the Texas Baptists Christian Life Commission, said at the committee hearing that the organization has concerns about taxpayer money being used to buy religious texts and that parents, not schools, should be having conversations about religion with their children.

“I should have the right to introduce my daughter to the concepts of adultery and coveting one's spouse,” Litzler said. “It shouldn’t be one of the first things she learns to read in her kindergarten classroom.”

who can disagree?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Gyges posted:

Never forget that Eugenics was as American as Apple Pie before some rear end in a top hat Austrian went and hosed it all up.

forced sterilization in the united states didn't end until decades after ww2. like i think the last one was in the 1980s.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

brugroffil posted:

Also the $300(?) a month per child

miss this so much

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

wonderful that the headline calls it an accident

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

looks like the allen tx shooter was a nazi

quote:

Also, the law enforcement officials said, Garcia had several social media accounts and appeared to be drawn to neo-Nazi and white supremacist content. He was also wearing, when he was killed, a patch on his chest with a right-wing acronym.

the patch here said RWDS which stands for right wing death squad

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Gort posted:

Still seems nuts to a non-American that you guys all have to file your own taxes instead of that burden being on your employers, but I guess not being gouged for the right to do the busywork is a step forward

employers do collect that information and send it directly to you. for most people filing taxes is pretty easy, you just transpose the data from your form (called a w-2) into turbotax or whatever. does not take very long. the problem is that it costs money to do this, and also the information is also sent to the IRS so they could process it for you without the middleman or cost.

like leon said the simplest reform here would just be for the IRS to send everyone a completed tax return and then give people the ability to amend it if they want to deduct stuff.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

intuit does a lot of stuff besides tax preparation - bookkeeping software, payroll services, email marketing, and personal finance software to name a few - so they definitely wouldnt collapse over losing turbotax or wahtever.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

I AM GRANDO posted:

Should I put my research points into the Weather Paradigm or the Command Nexus?

weather paradigm if you aren't planning a conquest victory, command center if you are

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anecdotal ofc but teenagers I interact with tend to be way more concerned about normal teenage poo poo which is amplified by social media for sure.

i think this is it but with the inability to escape or disconnect, that's probably driving a lot of mental health issues wrt kids and social media. like smartphones didn't exist when i was growing up. people who were mean to me in elementary and middle school basically could only do it at school. sure they could have called my house or something but that just gets the parents involved. if they were talking poo poo about me after school it was face to face or over the phone, utterly inaccessible to me. nowadays you can be mean to people on social media 24/7, and i can easily see a self-absorbed teenager wanting to scroll through a long public conversation with two or more people making fun of them. or you can much more easily see when people are hanging out without you, seeing people having fun that you're not having, etc. all of this is probably intensely bad for developing minds.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

is there any indication that, finally, after this stupid farce, the democrats will seek to abolish the debt ceiling the next time they have the chance?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Willa Rogers posted:

Do any of those protections cover ride-share drivers?

non compete yes, leave no

https://www.faegredrinker.com/en/in...ccrued%20hours.

quote:

Effective July 1, 2023, the new noncompete law prohibits any post-employment noncompete agreement with an employee or independent contractor regardless of a person’s income, with only two very limited carveouts for certain noncompetes agreed upon (1) in connection with the sale of a business or (2) in anticipation of the dissolution of a business.

quote:

Under the new law, all Minnesota employers, regardless of size, will be required to provide to almost all employees paid family and medical leave for up to 12 weeks with partial wage replacement related to a serious health condition and up to 12 weeks with partial wage replacement related to leave for pregnancy, bonding, safety, family care, or a military member's active-duty service or impending call to active duty in the United States armed forces, with a total combined cap of 20 weeks per year. The only exceptions for coverage are independent contractors, self-employed individuals, federal government employees and seasonal employees.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jim trusty is a great name for a lawyer

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

PhazonLink posted:

hasnt it been proven its very traceable, and may in fact be more traceable. its just a matter of getting the LEOs to care.

like when some hacker group touched the 3rd rail of a power plant.

the blockchain and all transaction records are public and therefore extremely traceable. the issue is tying any particular wallet to a given person, particularly given that most cybercriminals are smart enough to at least try to launder illegal proceeds through a bunch of different wallets before they try to cash out.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

here is my civilian understanding of discharges

honorable: the best kind and also most common. you did a good job.

general: you did not do a good job but didnt break any major rules

other than honorable: you did something bad but not bad enough for a court martial

bad conduct: you did something very bad and might go to army jail

dishonorable: you did somethign extremely bad and almost certainly are going to army jail

and then theres like medical and stuff.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mellow Seas posted:

“No apartments in my town - what about my land value???” the NIMBYs cry, in country where land value is correlated pretty much 1:1 with population density.

i just looked on zillow and the only thing under 500k in huntington is: 60 year old 3/2 that needs to be completely gutted or torn down (360k), 1br apartment (430k), 50 foreclosure sale being sold as-is (430k), and empty lot (450k). you can see how more supply might disrupt this state of affairs (which, indeed, is the goal of building more houses).

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well,it is pretty heavenly to have all new kitchen appliances. maybe they're onto something.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the speed governor should not let cars exceed the speed limit, its just that simple

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bar ran dun is right, helping your stupid son buy a ford raptor is extremely relatable

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i will vote for any president that brings back the original 4 loko. you can outlaw this panera lemonade in exchange. fairs fair.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

disappointed they arent kicking any money to the houston-dallas project (unless i missed it)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

just demolish i-45 and turn it into railroads, easy peasy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

didn't there used to be a thread to argue about whether voting was good or not

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

here is a news or current event: if anyone was wondering would be departing congress to become mayor of houston, well, she won't be doing that.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Nonsense posted:

Somebody recorded her dancing that's gone viral in H-town. At least she has that.

that and her congressional seat lol. i am sure she will win re-election in 2024.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it. The guy wiretapped a sitting US Senator and nothing happened to him.

he got put on probation for three years

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

A fine post

People have gotten more for posting small bart

cannot wait to see how long james o'keefe will lose posting privileges for...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

more flags should have words on them

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

christmas loving with americas sluttiest cum dump twinks

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bad food restaurants

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Pretty clear. We have to deal with it!

nikkis right

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

OctaMurk posted:

$110k to jiim cavaziel for a speaking appearance? ive never heard of the dude but i AM culturally unawares

he played jesus in the passion of the christ movie and generally is a prominent and vocal super catholic guy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lloyd austin has been hospitalized, and bimbofied to a permanent end

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Barrel Cactaur posted:

The problem is young men will be looking for an enemy and young white men will not look at the power structure because it lies and tells them they go to the top of they pull the bootstraps hard enough. Most other groups can point to a specific way they have been dicked over or benefited. Young men have this hole that can just get filled with any explanation, and truthiness rules.

we need to fill the holes of young men

koolkal posted:

Someone's lying here.

i dont think so - there isn't some objective truth that people are expressing here. it's perfectly possible for two people from identical socioeconomic circumstances to reach different conclusions about whether it financially makes sense to go to college or not, or in other words whether finances might keep them from attending college, and that doesn't mean one of them is being dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

counterpoint, some consultants are making 20% on these texts

twilio, which afaik is a vendor that sells their mass comms service to campaigns, charges $0.0079 per text. to start with. for a million texts or more it's $0.0069. really, really cheap stuff here. not even 7 grand to send a million text messages.

https://www.twilio.com/en-us/sms/pricing/us