Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Manchin is also opposed to any changes around Feinstein:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1648371862643130378?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

I think we may need to update that “Manchin Cycle” infographic people used to post. She needs to retire, but I suspect there may be some staffers who oppose that, and who else has access to her? Maybe we need to promise the staffers lifetime sinecures or something to get things rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Looks like there’s a major point of failure you can tie to a lot of what’s poo poo about our government across multiple branches:

https://twitter.com/annielinskey/status/1649025808097214468?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

What’s to be done? We have a billionaire who can corrupt our processes with impunity, a literal Hitler fanboy who nobody can touch and who can command the right’s opinion leaders to make repeated, humiliating obeisances to him in public after each new revelation of the degeneracy of accountability and mass politics. One man, one vote my rear end, in short.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Biden announced his campaign today, and is already seeming to plan how to rein in all that youthful enthusiasm he’s been gifted since Dobbs:

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1650870568055451650?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

Going to be wild to see how they manage the perceptions here; young voters have multiple issues and if you’re seen actively loving them over on a big one, how do you activate them as volunteers or donors? Could see a lot of fundraising letters being returned with “sorry, I had to pay interest on loans that are worth more than they were when I got them” scrawled over the pitch.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Skex posted:

I don't get where y'all come up with this "Dems won't even try to message" there are Democrats all over the news criticizing the court over this, the act of asking Roberts to testify is them messaging on it.

Roberts unwillingness to testify and try to defend this poo poo demonstrates his corruption. The problem with actually holding SC Justices accountable is that 67 vote threshold for impeachment and the fact that Republican voters refuse to punish them for their corruption.

The only way to fix what is broken with our country including the court is for people to loving vote in a way that makes it clear that they won't accept the corruption. The problem is that apparently voters are perfectly fine with it.

At this specific point in time that means voting for Democrats. Yea they suck and are spinless and all the usual gripes about them but they are all we have. Because for the Fash corruption isn't a bug it's not even a feature it's the whole loving point.

Because ultimately power is the ability to do things without negative consequences. Republicans aren't interested in oversight and stopping bribery and corruption because their who mission is to return to a world where rich powerful men can do whatever the gently caress they want. That's why they hate Feminism so much, because if you strip all the extraneous bullshit conservatism is about sex and dominating women.

That's why they are against abortion, birth control, universal suffrage, diversity, welfare and pretty much anything that gives women options that aren't find a man to protect you then put up with whatever abuse he subjects you to because the alternative is to be at the mercy of any powerful men in your vicinity.

This state where women actually have rights and agency is a new thing in human civilization and the conservatives aren't having it.

The problem with this is that we can’t even seem to get justices on the court that agree they should have stronger ethical guidelines. All nine justices signed onto this:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/9-supreme-court-justices-push-back-oversight-raises/story?id=98917921

quote:

All nine justices, in a rare step, on Tuesday released a joint statement reaffirming their voluntary adherence to a general code of conduct but rebutting proposals for independent oversight, mandatory compliance with ethics rules and greater transparency in cases of recusal.

The implication, though not expressly stated, is that the court unanimously rejects legislation proposed by Democrats seeking to impose on the justices the same ethics obligations applied to all other federal judges.

Honestly we need investigations into all of them, if we can’t even get “our” (lol) justices to say something in the face of the naked corruption their colleagues engage in. Put Kagan in the barrel if that’s what it takes to prove the institution itself is corrupt.

selec fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 28, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nobody’s going to make him un-rich or take his companies away. This is just the new waterline, he’s showing you he has power and there’s nothing you can do about it because the system, by putting him where he is in it, is working as intended. You can’t use DEI to boot a guy out who never bought into or was subservient to those structures.

What’s the fix for Musk that leaves every other part of the status quo that boosted him to where he is in place? Doesn’t exist, imo. He’s like Trump that way; the system is functioning as intended and you’re going to feel the way you feel right now, forever, until a different system is in place. These are the new type of guys, and we’re not going to get less of them, we’re going to see endless variations of them until we either are defeated by them, or we defeat the system that props them up.

You can’t let all the money pile up and expect the dragon at the top of the pile of gold to suddenly respect the peasants he got fattened up on.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

haveblue posted:

When you refuse to negotiate you have a lot of free time

Also if you render it impossible to pull you into a meeting, refusing to negotiate is easier

He ain’t refusing poo poo

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1658854766544289800?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

Good luck, everyone.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Ither posted:

I'm sorry but is there an article somewhere?

There is a briefing happening right now, will probably see articles this afternoon wrapping it up.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

zoux posted:

Here's the direct quote

Seems like Mr. Quintanilla intentionally misrepresented his position in order to get a bunch of outrage engagement.

“Consequence” here is doing some heavy lifting. Consequential for who? Consequential to what degree? I guess we’ll have to wait and see, but Biden’s tragicomic history as a negotiator doesn’t give me an abundance of faith.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1658842457474310150

Nice to see that women can fail upward these days

It’s only a failure if you don’t understand the incentive structure she’s operating under. She did a great job, it’s just that it’s not the job you wish it was. She’s really good at her job.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I 100% believe that she was told some version of ‘if you don’t embarrass us too much at the Trump town hall you get this job’.

She’s a reactionary who used to tweet homophobic slurs and worked for the Daily Caller. She’s perfect for CNN.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It sounds like the lack of faith in Biden’s negotiating tactics is coming from inside the beltway, and inside the party; hard to describe this as probable GOP talking points:

quote:

A group of Senate Democrats is circulating a letter urging President Biden to prepare to invoke the 14th Amendment to unilaterally resolve the debt ceiling standoff without involving Congress, according to a copy obtained by The Washington Post ahead of its release.

The letter, signed by five senators so far, reflects building unease among White House allies over the direction of negotiations between the president and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on an agreement expected to cut the deficit and raise the debt limit. Liberal lawmakers have balked as Biden entertains spending cuts and new work requirements on federal aid programs — fueling interest in a solution to the standoff that does not require a deal with McCarthy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/05/17/debt-ceiling-democrats-discharge-petition/

Smith, Warren, Markey, Sanders, and Merkley all signed so far, with more to come. Feels like an end-run around potentially disastrous concessions. If I were a White House negotiator right now I’d be supremely pissed.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I agree with him on NATO. It’s wishful thinking that an empire would tear itself down, but it would be nice for once if world-spanning Anglocentric empires did that. I didn’t ask to fund the insistence that the US be in charge of the global hegemon and it would be nice if we could spend money on other things without having to do whatever atrocities we will do in the throes of decline.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say in any of that, it all seems very vague and handwavey and "trust me" without saying anything substance, but it all, and this line especially, comes across the purest strain bullshit imaginable.

If you have a defensive force what’s it there for? You have a defensive alliance to defend against something, and create or encourage an atmosphere of military competition by its very existence.

It’s like Ring cameras and Nextdoor. That guy they post about used to just be a guy walking in your neighborhood. But now that they have footage to post, it’s a suspicious individual, casing their neighborhood. What changed? Nothing, except the creation of a system that makes them paranoid by its very existence.

The terror level color code scheme the Bush administration was always wailing about was the same concept. You have a tool, you will feel compelled to use it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It’s pretty funny to me that the idea is that we just have to not give Trump coverage. First of all, says who? Because the people making that decision are comfortable putting him on the air. It makes them money. They don’t give a gently caress about the impact on society or the nation because those things don’t affect them, they breathe the rarified air that isn’t stunk up by Trump policies. Secondly, how far are you willing to go on that? Say he wins again and does the thing where he preemptively announces a wild, lovely policy out of nowhere. Just not cover it? Have the reporters cover it but not show him announcing? That’s just bad TV.

Ultimately the answer is better Democrats to respond to him (lol) or better journalists (which is a different thing than a TV news presenter, which is what Collins and nearly every other personality on TV news is) being able to speak truthfully, which both politicians and journalists have an incredibly lovely well-earned reputation for right now.

Class struggle is right there if you want to paint a lovely reactionary wealth golem in a way that any working American would respond to, but it’s impossible for a millionaire news personality to wield that tool.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

A lot of the struggle around fixing racism feels like not knowing what your actual metrics are.

If we lived in a society that had the same amount of social racism (people holding the same opinions at the same rates they do now) BUT there aren’t observable economic impacts based on race; black homeownership is the same as white, latino graduation rates are the same as all other groups, have you solved racism? Or have you solved the impacts of racism?

To me, the goal should be economic empowerment. To quote someone smarter than me, a white man wanting to lynch a black man is a white man’s problem; a white man having the power to lynch a black man is the black man’s problem. That resonates for me; show me a racially discriminated group that has economic power?

If you want to fix racism? Good luck. If you want to fix the impacts of racism, we know exactly what we need to do, but for some reason as a society cannot stand to undertake that action.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Absolutely.

Like this:

Economic power can be and has been taken away due to racism. Ask the African American community in Tulsa, or Jewish people who had economic power in Germany. Bigots don't just grumble and then do nothing because they don't have an economic upper hand anymore. They continue to be bigots.

Unless you take people completely out of the system and resources are distributed by some magical AI or mathematical formula the biases of the people in the system will come through in the result. I think you need to attack the bias, and the system at the same time. You don't have to pick just one.

So what’s the fix? People can have economic power taken away, sure, but they have a greater chance of defending and preventing that from happening if they already have economic power.

What’s the route around economic empowerment that somehow fixes racism? How do you prevent the individual and collective human suffering of being poor because you’re not white otherwise?

Is there a way to be poor and content as a white person that is somehow not available to black people? Is that some kind of goal worth fighting for? I would say it’s not. People deserve the dignity of living free from want.

You can continue to attack cultural racism but doing so without attacking the economic disparities every disadvantaged group lives in is just rainbow capitalism; “Caitlyn Jenner is rich, what’s the problem?”

If I had to choose the ability to pick one, a genie’s wish, I’d get rid of economic disparities without a second’s thought.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

This is kind of a pointless statement, because there is no magical wand that can erase one or the other, and in reality you cannot deal with one without dealing with the other. You are arguing from a hypothetical that exists as a counterfactual.

e: You also seem to be strawmanning a bit since going back through the convo, no one here has said that rainbow capitalism is enough. Nearly everyone in the conversation has said that both economic and racial disparities both have to be addressed. Attacking economic disparity without racism would essentially just be the mid-20th Century post-war boom.

It’s about priorities. White liberalism has been about policing people’s hearts while contending the racial caste system we live under can’t be fixed for decades now. Black homeownership plummeted under the first black president we had. Fixing hearts is a mug’s game. Money is the fix, and liberalism (small L) universally opposes meaningful redistributive projects so you’re never going to get Both.

Fight for what works, because if we are to judge modern liberalism’s progress on race the revanchist turn of the last twenty years is a dire progress report for corporate-friendly fixes to a system that makes people of color poor as a matter of daily existence.

Every single org I’ve worked for, which in the last decade has been either nonprofits or orgs serving nonprofits, has paid people of color less than they deserve, and less than white counterparts, and all of them sung and continue to sing the exact words on the song sheet rainbow capitalism hands out. They praise the one or two members of minority groups in the C suite, and those people do their duty and make speeches praising the company back. They all say the right words, but until the checks match that, they’re just words and mean nothing, mean less than nothing in fact.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Do you think the African American community of Tulsa owning factories would've prevented what happened to them?

Would they be considered a separate community—an African American community—if they held economic (and thus political) power at the same rates as whites did? The question you pose is kind of asking a Bioshock alternate universe kind of question. There’s a lot to unpack there! The entire history of the country would have to be rewritten for that to have been the status quo at the time of the Tulsa pogrom. It wouldn’t even make sense for it to happen if the proposed stipulation (economic, and thus political) parity were true. You don’t pogrom the in-group, which is what economic power and the political self-determination that flows from it is; that’s what is being gatekept.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I mean, it’s a dumb point to make because a lot of the day to day material experience of racism is in banks and hospitals.

If Wells Fargo being broken up causes the banks that come after to not give shittier mortgages to black people as a matter of policy, did breaking up the bank “solve” racism? No, but it fixed one of the material impacts from it.

M4A doesn’t solve the racism that causes such gaps in maternal and infant health care across race in America, but would ameliorate it by making better (or any) health care available to a broad swath of Americans (who you would find to be disproportionately people of color) who currently can’t get it or can’t afford to use what they can get.

You don’t break up a bank just because it’s cool to do that, you have specific material outcomes you’re looking to see, and if the bank is in the way of those outcomes, you break it up.

So yeah, if you’re approaching it the right way breaking up a bank doesn’t solve racism, but it does fix some of the effects of racism. One of those feels a lot more materially sound and grounded as an approach. How does Hilary propose measuring “less racism” from her policy perspective? Because mine can point to a lot of specific metrics.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Breaking up the banks won't magically make other competing banks stop being racist and start offering good loans to black people, they will continue to offer loans to the people that are a lower financial risk for them, and there are more black people living in poverty than any other race in the US. Show your work, how is breaking up the banks alone going to fix racism wrt banking and loans? It sounds like you're expecting the invisible hand of the market to take over once Wells Fargo is broken up.

Why would that be the only thing you’d do? You’d break up banks, and also ideally the entire idea of housing as an investment rather than a human right. I mean I’m a communist man, in my ideal process the banks go under along with a lot of other things about how we run society.

But if it’s bank reform, well, break up those banks too. Any bank that ever accepted a restrictive covenant much less demanded one on a mortgage, and put all those assets into a Postal Bank, with a plan and ultimate goal of ending commercial banking entirely on a consumer level.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I have a tape from the early 80s of my brothers and me doing a fake news broadcast that includes the phrase “Reaganomics is working” if you’re curious about how fresh and bold this strategy is.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

There has only ever been a tenuous truce between The Left and Democrats and that was eroded completely after WWII and no serious analysis would say that the party structures or the efforts by the party at large in any way align meaningfully with a Leftist bend. In fact, they are the primary obstacle to left policy in the US—they ostensibly would have credibility and the ability to lead on educating and advocating for collectivist solutions to problems but in fact are the initial barrier to them before any Republican ever gets involved.

The Democrats haven’t done a lovely job at promoting leftism; they’ve done a stellar job at preventing it at any cost. The rise of leftist sentiment and labor radicalism we are seeing is despite them, and will eventually have to defeat them if it is to succeed.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

"Hilly Clinton is a weak candidate" and "it wasn't really her fault" can both be true things. ("Hillary is a scurrilous backstabber determined to take out the left" is a great example the kind of belief that made her a weak candidate, as is the even more implausible right wing mirror meme "Hillary is a ball-busting Communist.")

It's funny, you can argue that she was only ever so close to being President because she married Bill Clinton, but you can also argue that she only lost because she had been married to Bill Clinton. It put her in the national spotlight at a time, in the early '90s, when a lot of people really weren't ready for a woman that assertive in a prominent (and unelected) position, and then ended up tarring her with a lot of scandal and a lot of misdirected right wing rage. It made her the focus of intense and relentless attacks in the way that, say, a woman Senator would not have been - just for lack of being as famous, if anything.

Who knows what Hillary Rodham on her own might have accomplished on her own; she is not lacking in talent or intellect or ambition. To whatever extent she bought into cynical, amoral political pragmatism, you need a little bit of that to end up on the top of the pyramid. (I mean, you need a pretty specific sequence of events to unfold in your life to end up a major party nominee for President, so it's pretty unlikely, but she had the potential.)

There is a piece from Ezra Klein that has stuck with me over the last seven years. People may consider it to be "cringe" or hagiography but it's an interesting perspective from somebody who knows Clinton personally.

Ezra Klein has produced plenty of gaseous, obsequious and fawning coverage of the ruling class in his work, but this is among some of his best belly-crawling.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Sure he does, as do most Democrats including pretty much all elected Democrats. Otherwise they'd pack the Court and be done with it. "Faith in SCOTUS" is probably going up these days as fascists turn away from hating the "activist" court that granted gay marriage and upheld the ACA and embrace a white nationalist / theocratic one that will give them substantive wins for at least another decade.

It’s the opposite, approval of the court is at the lowest it has been since 2000.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/4732/supreme-court.aspx

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I read that as dementia lampshading. People can get temperamental and lash out from it. The comments on record from staff are just PR.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean you realize that the better this gets, the more the companies you work for will be able to leverage it against salaries, and use it to justify aggressive downsizing and pushing more work on people, right?

Exactly. You’re training your replacement, it’s just that you didn’t plan on retiring by the time it’ll be ready to take your job.

A huge part of future labor relations will be about what work humans are required to do, and who should profit from automation. An enormous tranche of libertarian or just small L liberal developers and admins who are all out of a job in a few year span is a social movement that nobody wants to see manifest in the real world. But I do wonder if it might change their ideas about politics once labor power is taken away from them as individuals. I don’t feel optimistic, it’s probably just going to generate a lot of Gen X mass shooters.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

haveblue posted:

Yet another Biden family member has been caught in a pattern of outrageous behavior

I would like to see extensive hearings about this in which congresspeople display many pictures of this malefactor

That’s a terribly raised dog. If your dog bites seven people you hosed up bad.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I just refuse to believe that level of coverup, including defense contractors, is possible to maintain for drat near 100 years.

And, of course, amazing claims require amazing evidence. Which he has none of.

The coverup hasn’t been maintained as much as plausible deniability has. None of what the dude is saying hasn’t been said before by many other people. It’s not really a coverup if there’s no place to go with your information that is seen as credible, and any outlet you can get into is a channel flooded with genuine loons.

What’s weird here is that this is a guy who everybody within the government seems to talk to and then do what you’d expect them to do if he wasn’t a wackadoo. He went through channels, and the people who represent those channels support him continuing up the chain. The IG isn’t out here saying he’s a nut, the IG would need to be as much of a loon as this guy would have to be, it’d have to be these sober, hidebound rules-followers losing their minds and becoming kooks too, all the way down, for what we saw today to have gotten to where it is without some kind of “holy loving poo poo he’s not joking” material underpinning it, at least how I’m seeing it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Caros posted:

Nah. I refuse to believe that we have had space ships in government warehouses (and a contractor, I guess Raytheon just has one in a hanger somewhere?) without someone, somewhere among the thousands of people necessary stealing a photo, or a document, or literally anything to prove their claim

If you had a guy with a credible claim beyond 'Oh yeah, all sorts of people told me all this crazy poo poo about UFOs' then it'd be front page Washington Post.

Bud there are a ton of videos and pics of crafts out there, many of which are fake. I also think you’re putting an enormous amount of faith in journalistic outlets that have acted as mouthpieces for the government, and censored stories at the informal request of powerful people many times throughout their checkered pasts.

If you went around claiming that government agents dosed you with drugs before the Family Jewels got leaked, you would’ve been seen as crazy too. Lots of people had crazy stories before they were just confirmed history. Parapolitical history is loaded with this stuff—was the Gulf of Tonkin true before it was false?

I am definitely in the “want to believe” camp but am also a pretty firmly grounded materialist, so had no real interest in UFO stuff until a few months ago; it’s the way this process is different in a bureaucratic sense that is making my hair tingle, not the claims. Unless you think it’s the case here that extremely well-credentialed bureaucrats all lost their poo poo simultaneously: AOC, Raskin, the intelligence IG, James Clapper in his front-row seat at today’s hearing, what’s the competing explanation for these alleged kooks, who all had insanely high security clearances, managing to snow all these other public servants?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Are AOC, Raskin, the intelligence IG, or James Clapper actually saying that they believe the claims about extraterrestrials?

A pretty firmly grounded materialist would require some real evidence which still doesn't seem to actually exist.

They don’t have to show up to hearings and ask questions if they don’t want to, and all the reps treated the three witnesses as credible and helpful—you can go watch yourself and form your own opinion, but these guys, if there is anybody in our government who would be able to know what they claim to, would be the guys.

The IG is also another filter—that’s where you cull out kooks or people with shoddy cases. That the IG has heard this out and continues to, in the narrow way someone in the position is able to, sustain the effort, is another big sign to me.

That’s where I am hooked here: these guys aren’t getting the kook treatment from the many layers of government designed to screen out kooks, and it’s not like they showed up saying TRUST ME BRO: they worked for the specific arms of government designed to get up to secret squirrel poo poo. It’s not some random Raytheon contractor, these are people speaking to the specific jobs they had within our government.

I mostly ignore the claims for now; it’s interesting but ultimately if they’re right it’s possible we only have the vaguest understanding of what we’re seeing. What has me interested is that they keep floating up through the multiple layers designed to keep poo poo that isn’t worth bothering with off Important People’s schedules, get on those schedules, and are being given a bipartisan hearing where everybody seems to be taking them very seriously.

If they are frauds, it’s a devastating indictment of the oversight functions of government that they were on CSPAN today. Ironically; if they’re not frauds the same thing is true, but only because it takes whistleblowers to expose secretive projects like this to the people ultimately charged with overseeing them. There’s no outcome where the oversight process comes out covered in glory here, it would be embarrassing either way.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jesus III posted:

Believing in aliens is the same as believing in devils and angels: there is no proof either exists and the main purveyors of these stories are all a little crazy.
I'm not saying there are no aliens; I'm saying there is zero proof aliens have visited Earth.

Conspiracies that say the government is hiding something run into the same problem as conspiracies 9-11 conspiracies: there is no way that many people could keep something like that secret.

Learn your Kojima! You don’t keep it secret; you flood the channel with disinformation, and punish insiders for deviation. Two of the things the whistleblowers are calling out specifically, in fact.

I don’t know that there are aliens, but I think there’s something big and weird the government is sitting on, and the bureaucratic response alone to the allegations tells me it’s being taken very seriously by people who don’t tend to gently caress around with unserious poo poo.

If you were to just slough off the stuff about aliens, and just look at the bureaucratic response and steady escalation this story has been through, it’s obvious people believe something serious is happening, and are being shown things in the SCIF that make them continue to pursue the process despite the claims sounding wild as gently caress. Why wouldn’t AOC have come out of the first briefing and twirled her finger by her ear unless she’s either 1. Crazy as these dudes are or 2. Saw and heard things that gave her pause?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jesus III posted:

None of that means aliens. There is literally nothing to point to aliens. It's just a belief, as unscientific as the Ark theme park.

I agree, it could be paradimensional time travelers or dinosaurs that live inside the hollow earth. These guys who arguably should know says it’s non-human intelligence, I think. But it could be a lot of things. What I find most interesting is that they keep getting sent up the chain and treated like normal dudes with a genuine claim, handled with bureaucratic decency if you will, while saying it’s aliens.

It’s like seeing a hippo in one of the chairs at the hairdresser when you walk in! There’s so many steps before the hippo was in the chair, how has this happened? A lot of otherwise seemingly-normal people had to hear “we’re gonna give the hippo a makeover” and have that explained to them and eventually gone “well I don’t like it but you make a solid case” before that moment. That poo poo makes me curious as hell! I have never hosed with Art Bell or UFO sites or whatever, what’s got me here is the bureaucratic angle, because that’s where they’re getting their legitimacy from. Everybody who should (according to many of the posts I’m responding to) know better is acting like they don’t know better, or that they do in fact know better after having listened to these dudes. It’s a genuinely weird situation that I think is worth more consideration than “these kooks sound like other kooks” especially when you consider the strategies we know our own government has engaged in w/r/t disinformation! Why are the official organs of the state treating this as credible when there’s no non-embarrassing outcome from the choice to do so? That’s a real mystery, and I am enjoying the hell out of it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

The reason many banks don't want to handle it is not just because of scheduling or a possible reversal. Even descheduled, a lot of cannabis products are flaunting other regulations (like basically all of them) and it's hard to tell where the money is coming and going because there are so many, ah, I think the current euphemism is "international legacy enterprises" involved. A national market for a product with existing illegal channels and billions of dollars in new investor entrants (many of whom are themselves not interested in compliance or due diligence) means it's been great for laundering.

Wait are “international legacy enterprises” the CIA here?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SallyGold/status/1685992778444972032

I mean, what does a political party offer this guy? He doesn't care about, say, the affordability of or access to health care, or if he does it's all subsumed into some tangled web of misunderstanding, grievance, fantasy, and conspiracy.

Full quote from the article

This dude is still working a lovely middleman job four years past the retirement age, wouldn't you like a government that addressed those issues sir?

If you believe that the political system is incapable of solving material issues, have seen your quality of life steadily degrade over the last couple decades as everything gets somehow both shittier and more expensive, a political leader who you can at least trust to hurt your perceived enemies is better than one who sounds like every other politician you’ve ever heard, who didn’t even promise that much.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

James Garfield posted:

No, racism is a lot older and more fundamental than that implies. Like to the extent that the capitalist power structure is racist it's because of people prioritizing racism over making money.

This is a very simplified understanding that a lot of current work on this specific topic would identify as having it backwards.

Nell Painter’s The History of White People goes deep on this, but modern systems of race and racial castes like we have in the US are inextricable from capitalism as it is practiced. Whiteness is a category that expands as capital requires, and the way which race science is leveraged by both reactionary and progressive forces is tied to how larger material forces were influencing the political economy of their times, and still are. Nancy Pelosi in kente cloth is doing work on behalf of capital in a different way than Ron deSantis banning meaningful study of black history, but they are both serving the same master.

People didn’t just decide Italians were white because of Logic and Reason, they became white when the structure of our society needed them to help man the barricades against black people.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/tjortenzi/status/1687080872950816768?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

Not great! Not too long before we see perfectly healthy thirty year old senators in a conservatorship overseen by Jamie Dimon, I assume.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

zoux posted:

Which liberal democracy, either current or historical, would you recommend we look to for best practices?

Why not innovate, this is the American Experiment after all.

They should solve this with congressional car pools. Everybody has to drive, in a rotation. If nobody is willing to ride with you three times in a term, you are removed and a special election is held. We can get fun with it, the stakes are so low, obviously, that if we let a situation this bad persist so long the solutions might as well be whimsical.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Relatable as hell. If someone running for president has never struggled how can I trust they understand what the working class is going through?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Killer robot posted:

Super relatable struggles, making so much that you can underpay your taxes by $130k in a single year. Who among us hasn't had that greedy fist of big government as the difference between getting by and landing on the street?

It’s definitely more relatable as an experience; being in debt is pretty common for most Americans, and being shamed for being in debt is also another fine American tradition.

The scale is different, but again, pretty common American experience to be bad with money. Hell Joe Biden was terrible with money and the brokest member of the Senate for a while there, wasn’t he? That’s a bag fumble for real. I think it’s nice we’re finally getting presidents and candidates who have as hosed up financial problems and weird gently caress up screwup relatives as the rest of us. To be fair it didn’t take national press attention to get my dirtbag cousin to acknowledge his out of wedlock child, just some c’mon dudes at family functions, but it’s relatable as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Not with the year. Uranus was found the *day* Le Verrier's letter arrived.

Indeed. Who among us has not been so wealthy that they have disputes with the IRS on the order of half a million dollars?

The point is that no candidate is unique this way—they all have foibles or things we’d look askance at, financially and personally. It’s just West’s political position and (I would argue) race that makes him being called out this way notable. It’s by no means a barrier to power; we have a Supreme Court justice who laundered poo poo-tons of debt through baseball tickets, and that wasn’t a meaningful barrier to a lifelong appointment to the highest court of the land.

Sounds like West is just behaving in a class-appropriate fashion for the job he’s seeking to me.