Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

AnimeIsTrash posted:

im mixed on this mostly because i have to work with a bunch of guys who wont just answer "hey whats the command for X?" and give you smug smiles while you try to get that information out of them

Sometimes it's nice getting a legit answer to a simple question. No-one can hold all this dumb computer poo poo in their brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the counter to "kids dont know how computers work!" is that the entire first semester of my C class in college in '97 was literally "convert decimal to binary back and forth forever" and "here's how to log into the vax to write programs. we're not gonna get into that till year 2 but"

definitely missed the forest for the trees there and i just did not care to go to class at all and welp here we are, living in a tin shack in the hood yelling on the internet about catgirls

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Jonny 290 posted:

the counter to "kids dont know how computers work!" is that the entire first semester of my C class in college in '97 was literally "convert decimal to binary back and forth forever" and "here's how to log into the vax to write programs. we're not gonna get into that till year 2 but"

definitely missed the forest for the trees there and i just did not care to go to class at all and welp here we are, living in a tin shack in the hood yelling on the internet about catgirls

assembly development in a team setting should be mandatory for anyone wanting to computer professionally

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fresh_cheese posted:

assembly development in a team setting should be mandatory for anyone wanting to computer professionally

no it shouldnt.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Jonny 290 posted:

In your defense, a lot of people who actually learned C in the late nineties also spend their time on the internet yelling about catgirls.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

fresh_cheese posted:

I sure hope you don't mean assembly language here

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fresh_cheese posted:

maybe if it was 1986 and you worked making nes games or something

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pinball machines were all 6800 (or occasionally 6502) assembly until 1999 or so

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
lol

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The technical hiring bar here is pretty high, and new developers tend to only come from elite schools, so for me the technical mentoring is easy (aside from explaining legacy systems and how things work here, etc).

Interpersonal skills are another thing. I encourage my mentees to schedule one on one's with PMs, to express their interests to managers and volunteer for stuff (you're gonna work one way or another, if you don't volunteer for something cool you'll get left with whatever no one volunteered for). The social skills on the team are abysmally low and covid has only made things worse, it can be a little awkward when we all get together. That probably shouldn't matter as much as it does regarding your career, but what can you do

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

one of the main reasons i go to the office instead of using the excuse rolodex is so i can make sure the rest of the group there leaves the building for lunch and doesnt eat at their desks.

weve got good food all over the place here lets go get it and not be in the building for a while. also the tier of Eurest dining services we get is not great.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

fresh_cheese posted:

one of the main reasons i go to the office instead of using the excuse rolodex is so i can make sure the rest of the group there leaves the building for lunch and doesnt eat at their desks.

weve got good food all over the place here lets go get it and not be in the building for a while. also the tier of Eurest dining services we get is not great.
You go into the office just so you can drag your coworkers out to lunch?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fresh_cheese posted:

just have the kids play the entire zachtronics back catalog imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

i was a computer science major the courses for "how computers work" were all in the ee/cpe departments. i only kind of understand that stuff because i went out and took classes on compilers and stuff like that.

its totally understandable why your average comp sci grad wouldnt know that stuff. more important though if youre not working in the embedded or low level space i dont think that knowledge benefits you that much, although its nice to know.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tk posted:

You go into the office just so you can drag your coworkers out to lunch?

yeah this is some weird shamey poo poo i don't care for it. big "oh come on sushiritos are SO GOOD, come on, theyre only like $18" energy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
to be clear, sushiritos are DOGSHIT abominations and every one of those places should be shut down

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

sushiritos are DOGSHIT

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just because a maki and a burrito are similarly constructed doesnt mean whatever hosed up hybrid you make of them will be good.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
it sounds like a good concept but I can't think of a way to make it work other than just big maki and that has structural limits

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

fresh_cheese posted:

potent "I dont trust anyone my dog doesnt like" energy

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
also i like my food. thats why i cooked it in batches. if i wanted to wander around sampling plat du jour id join the french foreign legion.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

the cafeteria situation is dire

we go for tacos/gyros/pizza/dumplings at local mom n pop places. nobody has yet brought in a bag lunch and if they did id still encourage them to go sit outside on a bench at the park up the street rather than sitting in that god forsaken cafeteria.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DJ Commie posted:

it sounds like a good concept but I can't think of a way to make it work other than just big maki and that has structural limits

turns out that one of the nice things about sushi is how nice & delicate it is

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i will also defend the role of dragging people out for lunch. done right it is great mentoring in that the obligating reason we're coming in to the office is to shoot some poo poo and to understand each others needs, and having a long nice lunch chatting is just about the perfect vehicle for that.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i will also defend the role of dragging people out for lunch. done right it is great mentoring in that the obligating reason we're coming in to the office is to shoot some poo poo and to understand each others needs, and having a long nice lunch chatting is just about the perfect vehicle for that.

even before the pandemic i defended the long lunch as counting as work. the things that are discussed are just as important as the 'actual work' that's happening in the office

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Don't underestimate the common thank yous and good jobs. Praise the good that they do, no matter how much or how little. Working at a new place can be scary, and giving positive reinforcement is a great way to speed along their comfort. It's also a great way of teaching. If you only point out their fuckups they're gonna be looking for the exit.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I like a nice team lunch now and then but lunch is personal time. I have poo poo to do, I’m not going to cut 30 minutes out of my evening so I can try the new sushirito place with you.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, suck my rear end, i don't want to chat at lunch. i want to eat some motherfucking food in a focused manner

You wanna 'just chat' (which always ends up being asking me to do more work) book something before or after.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we are not friends. we are coworkers. or we're in a manager/labor type of relationship which is even further from my desired lunch accompaniment.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

we are not friends. we are coworkers. or we're in a manager/labor type of relationship which is even further from my desired lunch accompaniment.

i mean, if the take is genuinely that you won't accept an offer to use (and contribute to) paid time hanging out with the people you're working with: gently caress you

if the point is that you figure you wouldn't get paid: condolences on your situation

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

i mean, if the take is genuinely that you won't accept an offer to use (and contribute to) paid time hanging out with the people you're working with: gently caress you

if the point is that you figure you wouldn't get paid: condolences on your situation

Paid time hanging out is sitting around the break room shooting the poo poo either before or after lunch. Lunch is personal time.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
every work lunch ive ever had ended up with shop talk bc nobody wanted to open up too much. like what is that. thats a business meeting without an agenda. its an icebreaker with a bill.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on the one hand i will not deny your experience, on the other i will say that all employee power derives from common social connections. and taking employers time out of the day to chat almost *cannot* be a wrong move

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

on the one hand i will not deny your experience, on the other i will say that all employee power derives from common social connections. and taking employers time out of the day to chat almost *cannot* be a wrong move

Agreed. I still talk to several friends I met at former jobs. My biggest gripe about my current place is how no one wants to hang out occasionally. I still leave at 5 everyday so whatever, why not enjoy lunch

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

jonny is just pissed he didn't get the job at Lumon Industries

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

we talk about what video games we played last night, what costumes were making for the next con, how lovely bobs old Mitsubishi is and what bob should consider for the next vehicle.

shop talk is not forbidden but it also generally does not come up.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

fresh_cheese posted:

we talk about what video games we played last night, what costumes were making for the next con, how lovely bobs old Mitsubishi is and what bob should consider for the next vehicle.

shop talk is not forbidden but it also generally does not come up.

you're supposed to be convincing people to have lunch with coworkers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the one guy whos always talking about work at lunch @_@

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh god talking shop when out for drinks with workmates sucks. ya can’t avoid a little bit of it but when it’s the only topic you wonder if people have lives at all