Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

fresh_cheese posted:

theyre so adorable when they start, thinking theyre all hot poo poo with their brand new bachelors in software engineering or masters in comp sci or whatever

i give them a relatively simple first project and tell them straight up it is an afternoons work for me while im on continuous zoon meetings, and their challenge is to do it in less than 2 weeks with an empty calendar.

how do you come out of college with a computing degree not knowing how tcpip works? or what a file system is? or the distinction between code in a text file and an executable binary?

i knew that poo poo in high school just from building networks to play doom on.

the only thing I expect from new hires now is motivation to learn cool poo poo and experience with code in some form. the hatred for all computers will come in the fullness of time.

you sound like a bit of a shithead here ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

fresh_cheese posted:

slow friday, waiting on doc reviewers to finish

was cruising threads and it caught my eye

ill shutup now

I might have been a bit harsh, and I apologize, but I'd like to elaborate. This specifically caught my eye:
"i give them a relatively simple first project and tell them straight up it is an afternoons work for me while im on continuous zoon meetings, and their challenge is to do it in less than 2 weeks with an empty calendar."

As a newbie in the IT industry, this kind of poo poo is nothing but a ticket to the impostor syndrome zone for new hires/fresh graduates. Personally, I'd see this as a sign that I should probably not work here for long.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

AnimeIsTrash posted:

im mixed on this mostly because i have to work with a bunch of guys who wont just answer "hey whats the command for X?" and give you smug smiles while you try to get that information out of them

Sometimes it's nice getting a legit answer to a simple question. No-one can hold all this dumb computer poo poo in their brains.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Jonny 290 posted:

the counter to "kids dont know how computers work!" is that the entire first semester of my C class in college in '97 was literally "convert decimal to binary back and forth forever" and "here's how to log into the vax to write programs. we're not gonna get into that till year 2 but"

definitely missed the forest for the trees there and i just did not care to go to class at all and welp here we are, living in a tin shack in the hood yelling on the internet about catgirls

In your defense, a lot of people who actually learned C in the late nineties also spend their time on the internet yelling about catgirls.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

fresh_cheese posted:

assembly development in a team setting should be mandatory for anyone wanting to computer professionally

I sure hope you don't mean assembly language here