Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Resident Evil 4 Remake Episode 12 - Oops.

There are too many drat chainsaws in this stupid town

Sometimes when I am just running up the stairs to head back to her locker during the fight, Ashley would shout "Leon where are you going!?" and meet me halfway.

I still have no idea if my stick is just too sensitive to clicking it on accident or not. But she never busts out early when I am wildly panicking in a later segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I enjoy that walking too close to Ashley yields more or less the same animation as Kiryu slamming into random passers-by while you yell "gently caress OFF, STRAIGHTS"

e: oh wow, they're getting more polite, I heard "detras de vosotros"

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 14, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Section Z posted:

Sometimes when I am just running up the stairs to head back to her locker during the fight, Ashley would shout "Leon where are you going!?" and meet me halfway.

I still have no idea if my stick is just too sensitive to clicking it on accident or not. But she never busts out early when I am wildly panicking in a later segment.

I'm 99% sure it's just accidentally clicking by random chance, even if you don't do it most of the time, I don't think there's an indicator for calling her back if you're already in a running or shooting animation. She just showed up to be all "OH HEY, LEON" when I was halfway through that fight the first time around, but I've done it while taking longer and specifically not pressing R3 since then and she stayed in the locker the whole time.

e: I can't believe you all missed the chance to shoot off Mendez's hat. What a waste of the hat physics they've been painstakingly working on since these remakes started!

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 14, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I was a little busy okay :mad:

Let's Play Resident Evil 4 Remake Episode 13 - Is That A Castle?

God drat that guy's big

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

It's funny, I played original RE4, and compared to my experience playing that I thought you might be kinda bad at this, but everyone seems to be having a rough time with the hoards of ganados, so I'm coming around to the idea that actually it's just way harder than the original and you're pretty good at it.

Also, I think the fake eye not being a key is my first ever mad-at-the-remakes "Why did they change that?!" moment.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Akratic Method posted:

It's funny, I played original RE4, and compared to my experience playing that I thought you might be kinda bad at this, but everyone seems to be having a rough time with the hoards of ganados, so I'm coming around to the idea that actually it's just way harder than the original and you're pretty good at it.

Also, I think the fake eye not being a key is my first ever mad-at-the-remakes "Why did they change that?!" moment.

I've only played the demo of the remake, but I'm pretty good at the original and can confirm that yes, the remake is a fair bit harder, especially in situations where you get swarmed. Standard difficulty in the remake is probably harder than Professional in the original for most people; I know it is for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm a weak little videogame babby who did easy mode on my first run and only played the default difficulty in the original, and playing standard difficulty on my second run through the remake is definitely tougher than that in quite a few places. Getting swarmed really is a big part of it, the mobs are tuned to get in your face a lot more to counter you being much more mobile in combat now. There are other enemies and things that have also been changed in various ways to amp that up, but generally stuff we haven't run into yet here.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 15, 2023

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Danaru absolutely destroying Mendez so hard MGS2 dogtags flew out of his corpse, while also crushing my soul with the slowest reload speed in the world :shepface:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm a weak little videogame babby who did easy mode on my first run and only played the default difficulty in the original, and playing standard difficulty on my second run through the remake is definitely tougher than that in quite a few places. Getting swarmed really is a big part of it, the mobs are tuned to get in your face a lot more to counter you being much more mobile in combat now. There are other enemies and things that have also been changed in various ways to amp that up, but generally stuff we haven't run into yet here.
I was very surprised I could deal with hardcore, even as a replay. So I can only imagine being able to run away while reloading now is a bigger deal for me than new knife combat.

Every time I remember "Oh yeah, I have an upgraded knife!" for anyone but Krauser is the fast track to getting strangled as they tank stabs to their eyes, or slicing someone's head off and immediately getting smacked in the face when a parasite pops out :argh:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

It does definitely seem like "lol, knife" is not the One Weird Trick Ganados HATE It that it used to be. I recall clearing swathes of the game with just constant shin-slashing with melee follow-ups. So that's probably a good change for gameplay variety, even if it makes things harder.

Section Z posted:

Danaru absolutely destroying Mendez so hard MGS2 dogtags flew out of his corpse, while also crushing my soul with the slowest reload speed in the world :shepface:

Yeah, that's true: that was a remarkably good performance on that boss!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Resident Evil 4 Remake Episode 14 - No Big Deal

They made Salazar so much grosser. I'm glad they kept his "meeester kennedyyyyy" though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Akratic Method posted:

It does definitely seem like "lol, knife" is not the One Weird Trick Ganados HATE It that it used to be. I recall clearing swathes of the game with just constant shin-slashing with melee follow-ups. So that's probably a good change for gameplay variety, even if it makes things harder.

Yeah, every time I try to bully my way out of a corner I regret it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Eventually we're gonna get an RE game with mutant red pandas and Dan will make a list of everyone who fights them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh, see now I kinda get where Mendez was coming from

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Selling knives is the only thing the merchant clearly scams you on.

"Ah, a knife that will save you thousands in repairs even if you can only use it twice before it breaks. I will buy it for five dollars."

Which comes to mind even more with that jerk who takes like, five stabs and breaks your combat knife in the process even if you go in with a fresh level 3 knife. Suddenly magnum ammo feels real affordable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Section Z posted:

Selling knives is the only thing the merchant clearly scams you on.

"Ah, a knife that will save you thousands in repairs even if you can only use it twice before it breaks. I will buy it for five dollars."

To be fair, what's he even gonna do with a ton of butter knives? It's not like anyone's gonna attack him. He could get a bunch at Goodwill for a fraction of the price if he really needs them for table service or whatever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Resident Evil 4 Remake Episode 15 - Is That Oil?

It's gotta be a nightmare to actually live here, even as not a test subject

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I dunno if they ported it into the remake, but a flash grenade used to instakill all the popped-head wormybois.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Akratic Method posted:

I dunno if they ported it into the remake, but a flash grenade used to instakill all the popped-head wormybois.

Oh believe me they do and we abuse that maliciously later on, I've been saving them for just the occasion

You're gonna love it

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

gently caress, you just did it like a minute after I paused the video.

Some day I will learn to watch the whole thing before posting, I swear.

I probably won't, sorry.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

e: Clicked on the wrong RE thread like a real dumbdumb :dumb:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 18, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Akratic Method posted:

gently caress, you just did it like a minute after I paused the video.

Some day I will learn to watch the whole thing before posting, I swear.

I probably won't, sorry.

Oh honestly I forgot whether I did it in this episode I was thinking of later stuff lmao

Captain Hygiene posted:

Finally got just enough loot to sell off for the infinite launcher, and at the perfect point too!

https://i.imgur.com/u01EpM8.mp4

Somehow I never even thought about it skipping straight through the stabby mechanic here :stonklol:

Oh poo poo I didn't know the infinite rocket launcher was still in the game :stwoon:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Danaru posted:

Oh honestly I forgot whether I did it in this episode I was thinking of later stuff lmao

Oh poo poo I didn't know the infinite rocket launcher was still in the game :stwoon:

It is! And I meant to post in the general RE thread so I'm glad that wasn't too terrible of a spoiler :sweatdrop:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thank you for demonstrating why I wish there was a different shaped context sensitive prompt for "Would you like to activate a shortcut before you leave, smart guy?" in games.

While I am daydreaming about functions to keep me from feeling like I am slowly going insane over things I should know by now. Different color paint or something for "Yeah we know you already smashed everything in here, but we put these pity boxes here for the mandatory backtracking." in games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I never caught it until this last video, but I was happy to see that they brought back Ashley's little fist pump when you shoot a dude.

https://i.imgur.com/G4fe4J6.mp4

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

yeah, that's my big strong twunk hero!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Resident Evil 4 Remake Episode 16 - It Sucks Being Dan

...this episode may not be my best showing of skill

I hate the loving water hall

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"I'm trying really hard right now" *shotgun snipes Ashley from across the room* :suicide:

It's tough to say, but I actually think this room might be easier than the original, which is the setpiece I struggle with the most. It's shorter and there's better checkpointing, anyway. It's also a weird point in my infinite rocket launcher run - enemies flanking from multiple sides makes it easy to get into trouble, and the Protect Ashley sequence is not that well suited for the launcher if you didn't bring along another decent gun.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Resident Evil 4 Remake Episode 17 - Your Worm's Acting Up

Holy poo poo I hate these red dudes

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The better I get at that red robe room, the more I hate it. Because it came with realizations like.

The chandelier never hits anyone for me when I tried using it as an opener. Because nobody hangs out under it when I play :argh:

Shooting most of these explosive barrels as an opener kills one guy at best with my luck.

Sneaking even further to backstab the guy next to the red robe, means the red robe jumps over the railing to escape :eng99:

I am also 90% certain Red robe dude has some kind of super armor if you try to shoot him before the cutscene.

Trying to use any of the clever death trap room bullshit just made things worse for me. Compared to only sneaking just enough to kill crossbow jerk, then going crazy with hand grenades and ammo from the balcony.

There is a much more cathartic room later, depending on your prepwork. Throwing a single heavy grenade just right the second you enter, will kill all of the red robe's friends.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I hate that red robe priest guy so much, between the screen filter, staggering Leon, and the army of plagas, I think it's the one addition in the remake that I find purely annoying. I kinda want to keep my launcher for every new playthrough just so I can nuke him right from the start.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you can get the red guy to flinch backwards into a wall with a shotgun, you can instakill him with a knife

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Resident Evil 4 Remake Episode 18 - Metal As gently caress

Seven hundred cultists and not ONE that can repair a drat floor?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

Seven hundred cultists and not ONE that can repair a drat floor?

The floor repair cultist was two days from retirement when Leon killed him in chapter 1.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I'm pretty sure it's been two days in-game, so by now they still wouldn't have anyone who can fix the drat floors.

They probably all just plan to become skittering hell spider worms and not use them anymore.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Man, I never even knew the spiders could still control headless guys :stare:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Resident Evil 4 Remake Episode 19 - Unleash The Worms In You!

I remember this being TERRIBLE in the original too

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Great, another red guy room :sigh:

This is one that I feel like highlights the mixed changes to the Ashley mechanics. On the one hand, it's nice that she no longer has a health bar for when you shoot her she takes damage for some reason. But on the other hand, it's a lot easier for someone to grab her when she just kind of vaguely moves closer or further away from you than when you can just park her in a corner. Especially when everyone's so aggro in this version, thanks to the changes in Leon's mobility. Oh well.

e: minor note, but forgot to mention that the shooting gallery gacha results are apparently set for each combination of tokens when you start a new game, save scumming won't work because you'll just get the same ones each time.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 23, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Resident Evil 4 Remake Episode 20 - Too Much Cutlery

God drat I hate these red robed cultists

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Big laugh when you backtracked on the tram and opened that door to find yet another red robe platoon waiting for you. I had the exact same reaction :suicide:
I managed to miss it the first time - I forgot about the treasure, so as soon as I got off the tram in that earlier area I turned around and went back to the merchant because why would I need to backtrack? Also, I've had two complete playthroughs that did not involve instantly nuking everything with rockets, and I had no idea the priests could turn into the chompy plagas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fun fact about that bridge room:
Cutscenes like that are in-game so if you toss a grenade, flash grenade or bowgun mine up there just before triggering it the guy gets stunned and doesn't lower the bridge. You can grab the head and leave with just a few guys having time to get in your way.