Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wow, I just finally caught up on the thread after getting the game and bookmarking this thread on launch day. I spent 155 hours in BOTW before finishing it, and in TOTK I've already sunk 190 hours into the game. It's a really loving good game. Currently I've got 3 temples done, got the master sword, fully lit up the depths, and am tooling around looking for quests and encounters and whatever else catches my ADHD.

For some content, earlier today I had The. Worst. traveling korok encounter yet. It was the one atop Mount Falora, that you have to take across the Taobab Grasslands. Long story short, I spent far and away too much time trying to get that drat korok up that drat cliff wall. When I finally succeeded in doing so, I was so frustrated, that I took out a bunch of time bombs, intending on exploding the pair after the reunion. Unfortunately for me, I chose to do this before actually uniting the pair. I think I was planning on fusing everything together, delivering the korok, then talking to them while the bombs were ticking down. So, I pull out the bombs, and go to start fusing them all together, when a fire chuchu I hadn't noticed just sidles on up. Tulin pops it, it set off all of the bombs, and the korok goes sailing halfway back across the loving grasslands. Right into the spawn zone of a gloomhands. If that had happened first, I'd have just left him to his fate, but by that point, I'd be more ashamed if I didn't get the loving seeds from them.

In that same general area, there's a quest I found today, where you come across this woman sweeping up a huge garbage pit. Am I not remembering right, or was that the spot from BOTW where that one chef-wannabee was, who really sucked at cooking, and you had to help her with her recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Someone in this thread called ToTK "ADHD, The Game", and it is very much that for me.

I turned the game off after the embarrassment of The Korok Fiasco, but the next time I turned it back on, I decided to go fight the thunder gleeok in the coliseum near that one stable. I had never fought a gleeok before, but read a bunch of poo poo about how to properly fight them beforehand. So I prepare for a hell of a fight, cook a bunch of good food, scout the area out, climb to the top and paraglide down to get the drop on it. I expected to get my rear end handed to me, but instead I clowned that loving gleeok like I've been trouncing them since day 1. I went through like 9 arrows and eyeballs, and 2 ~50atk spears. I didn't even get hit.

That's basically the only two speeds I have in this game; Pants-on-head, clown shoes retarded, and stone cold loving killer. Link may as well be named Saitama in my hands, or something.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Regarding main story quests, if you're following along the game-recommended path, after you get the first town, but before you head off toward the Rito area, you'll get a quest with Impa to study a geoglyph. After that, she'll have you head to a place where you'll see murals surrounding a map. One of the murals will depict the geoglyph you've already studied. Take pictures of the murals, starting at the one you visited, and moving clockwise around the circle, then take a picture of the map. Hold off on doing the rest of that specific quest line until you've gotten at least a couple of the regional thingos out of the way. When you revisit it, start at the geoglyph you first did, and do the rest in that same clockwise order.

you'll get the ability to upgrade your armors as you play. Don't bother upgrading all of them all the way. In fact, don't upgrade most of them at all. There's a number of sets that gain an additional set bonus once you upgrade them to level 2, and the most useful ones are pretty easy to upgrade to that point. The climbing set for the stamina discount and climbing speed, froggy set for climbing up slick surfaces, the goron/zora/rito/rubber armors for elemental resistances, the diving suit for fall damage negation, and one of the attack-up sets. The only armor I'd say to upgrade to level 4 is the soldier's armor, for straight-up defense stats. Do this at your discretion though, because once you get that stuff maxed out, you don't tend to get hit for more than 1/4 heart anymore. For some people, that's a turn off. YMMV. There's also armor that will help you blend in with the Yiga, and makes it so they don't randomly attack you as you're walking around, though that one doesn't need to be upgraded for that effect. Generally, beyond that, most armors don't need to be upgraded at all.

If you ever find yourself low on rupies, feel free to sell poo poo. You'll pick up absolutely massive amounts of some things as you play. My general rule of thumb was that if I needed cash, I'd sell anything I had over 100 of, back down to 100 of that item. For gems, I'd sell down to 10, and only to the gerudo lady who buys them in Goron City. I obsessively pick up everything I run across, and I've sold 3 batches of 899 brightbloom seeds now, which just gives me oodles of cash each time. You'll also find a way to gather poes, which can be traded for extra pieces of armor, which you can resell for 600 rupies a pop.

As for combat, you're gonna be playing Dark Souls for the first while. Learn to avoid combat unless you need to engage in it until you've got some hearts under your belt. A ton of things will 1-shot you, so make your life easier by not getting hit in the first place. Learn to throw things instead of fusing stuff to arrows all the time. Use elemental stuff against your foes. Opposing elements defeat each other, so a fire item used against an ice enemy will just plain erase it from the fight. Use muddle buds to confuse the strongest enemy in a group into fighting the rest of them. They still drop loot all the same. Use puffshrooms as a smoke bomb to run behind enemies for free sneak attacks. You can generally get 2-3 of them in before the cloud dissipates.

If at any point, you think to yourself "I wonder if I can do X and it'll work", odds are yes you can, and yes it will. Try everything and anything. Some seriously outlandish poo poo will absolutely fly in this game, and it's one of the best parts of it.

Use ultrahand to stick crates together on a flat surface, then lift them up and drop them so multiple crates hit the ground and shatter at the same time.

Once you find the autobuild ability, ultrahand like 15 red apples and 5 golden apples together into a pile, and save that in your favorites. When you find an apple orchard, whip out that build, and wave it around the apples to hoover them up. Don't hit the build button though, instead cancel it, and the apples will drop at your feet. Also, drop a pile of not-more-than 20 apples into a bonfire or in any hot area to light them on fire and then roast them, then pick them up. They'll stack into 1 food slot in your menu, and heal more than raw apples. Any more than 20 and they'll start to despawn. Some other singular food items will do this as well, but combine the two and you'll always be able to heal.

I had more, but I lost my train of thought, and oh hey, that enemy camp looks like a fun time.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

galagazombie posted:

Yes but playing gatcha takes from that same resource pool so you never really escape the conundrum of “Do I want to play the game or do I want to do busywork to allow me to play the game?”

What are you talking about? Defeated constructs drop small zonai charges. Those are only good for two things: recharging your power cells and throwing into the gachas for devices. Every time I find a gacha, I throw 5 small charges in, and I get like 20 device capsules out of the machine. 5 large charges literally fill up the capsule output area of the gatcha, but those are more rare, so I don't really use them much. I've never dipped below 100 small charges in my inventory, and I'm swimming in spare devices. I've never used zonaite to buy a zonai charge, and I never will.

Unneeded resource hoarding aside, this whole point is rendered moot, because the game's all about doing things your way. If you think this system is tedious and annoying, then you are free to engage with a more appealing system instead. You absolutely don't need to use autobuild for everything. Hell, the only time I ever felt a "need" to even use zonai devices was when I spent a play session just cruising along between sky islands. I spent about 27 zonaite auto-building fan gliders to get from island to island, and only used that much because the bikes would despawn after like half an hour of use or something. They're there as an option, and clever use of them can really break the game over your knee if you want to trivialize some particular situation or another.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Akratic Method posted:

The thing that really got me about ToTK builds is that the strong enemies could just roar at them and vaporize them. Like, I’d love to sit around and dream up a tank that can fight a dragon, but it just erases constructs in a single move. So do the lynels. I think discovering that was the only time I really got mad at the game.

Yeah, I agree that that's kinda bullshit, but I also see how if it weren't for that, then there'd basically be no reason to put yourself in danger around those enemies. I feel like that sort of situation would be less annoying if like, the parts all had some kinda hidden HP pool, and could be broken via direct attacks, instead of just being insta-popped by a roar. That way, it'd become more of a game of controlling aggro, trying to make sure the lynel is focused on you while your laser gatling gun or whatever whittles it down safely.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

galagazombie posted:

You get Zonai charges either through buying them with zoanite (what I was talking about) or as you said, farming enemies. There’s enough construct enemies roaming around for you to organically get some charges by just playing the game yes, but as I said, any more than the basic 3ish piece stuff will quickly run you into the “Do I want to play or grind?” question. That and much of the game you won’t have the battery size to use a build that has anything complex like canons without needing to use those charges.

Yeah, so, I have never farmed constructs, nor bought charges, ever. I have the number of charges I have by playing organically, just fighting constructs in shrines or wherever. I don't even stop to fight a lot of them, just the ones that are either in my way, or that look like they're placed in a way that makes them fun to kill. For example, I've run across a couple camps of constructs that were just on the other side of a wooden fence from some bokoblins, so I stopped to burn the fence and watch them fight each other. I actually don't really enjoy fighting constructs, just because they're incredibly basic enemies that aren't really engaging. But, I do complete every shrine I find, and I will clown on the odd construct that's sitting on a rock I wanna climb, or who's guarding a chest I wanna open.

Is that considered "farming"? That answer is defined by the person asking the question. If you consider that to be farming constructs, and you're as against the idea of farming something as you seem to be, then I've got bad news for you regarding the rest of the enemy roster in this game.

But honestly? I think you're approaching the whole thing in a weirdly antagonistic way. Your argument seems to revolve around some scenario where you want to make like, a fully functioning war mech for every combat encounter, but you've got no zonai capsules and no zonaite, and your only option is building this giant mech. It's weirdly specific, and you're just kind of ignoring the fact that you can Do The Thing via so many other means and methods. If it were me, I'd just fight the enemies with other means. My vast array of fused weapons and muddlebuds, or puffshrooms, or elemental fruits, or bomb arrows, or I'd sick my team of spirit warriors on them, or avoid the encounter entirely, or find some way to use the environment against them.

Or hell, instead of building a big flashy mech, tr to come up with a less flashy, but still deadly thing to make. That multi-laser-on-a-big-spinning-wheel thing from a while ago comes to mind. 1 wheel, 1 construct head for aiming, and however many lasers I feel like gluing onto it.

I can understand not liking something in a game. That's completely fine, and no one is saying that you must enjoy the zonai stuff. But I'm getting the impression that you're really not thinking around the root of the issue. This is like when item duping was getting patched out, and people were griping that they couldn't have 999 bear asses because at some point they might need like 15 bear asses to 4-star that completely cosmetic set of useless amiibo armor, or whatever. Go travel to some gacha machines and dump 5 small charges at a time in each. You get like 20 or so capsules per pull from that, and you'll never need more than like 10 of each item in your inventory for anything. You really should only be using zonaite via autobuild if you are genuinely out of a component, or if you're just too lazy to pull out the part. When using autobuild, try to either use zonai parts that are in the area already, because they're always scattered liberally everywhere you would think to need them, or just whip out whatever you need from your bottomless inventory of capsules.

And if that's too much of a grind for you, try any of the other myriad things you can try.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What are your favorite endgame weapons? I'm finally getting to the end of the main quest, and I'd like to go ham on some minions and a boss. I recall a recommendation to try zora weapons with the frog armor for increase wetness duration, as well as that whole process for getting a lynel smacker with some pretty bonkers damage. Any other interesting combos of anything you guys would recommend? Pure damage is great, but I'd also love to hear about any fun combos or weird interactions you guys know about.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Akratic Method posted:

God I hope so. I want to dive straight off the start island and somehow drop attack onto a boss bokoblin from 10,000 feet up

There's one patrolling around.... IIRC the ruins of Lon Lon Ranch. You should be able to hit that pretty easily from the starting sky island.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Eifert Posting posted:

I imagine I'm probably the only sicko who actively avoids cooking stuff in this game that they wouldn't want to eat IRL, right?

Have a whoooooole lot of frost resistant food. I wish there was some way to just use multiple ingredients with multiple effects and just select the one you want.

Honestly, I'm a pretty adventurous eater, and I have yet to cook or receive a dish that I wouldn't want to try at least once in this game. Well, ok, no, I wouldn't eat the dubious or rock hard meals from that one quest, but other than that, basically all of the rest of the food has looked amazing.

Considering your hoard of frost resist food, I'd personally just eat it if I needed the healing. But, I'm also at the point where I'm not really cooking specific foods for specific buffs anymore, since I have so many various bonuses from armor sets now. Even then, if you've got like a dozen frost resist dishes, I think you'll be fine eating all but like 3 or 4 of them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

RCarr posted:

Is the biggoron sword a one time deal or can you farm it?

Supposedly, you can buy them from the bargainer statues for poes, but I have yet to see it. Maybe you need to break the original one first? I've got mine sitting in my house.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Runcible Cat posted:

It's the multi-eyed poe daddies you need to talk to, not the horned bargainers. Start with the one next to um, Josha? - the little girl sheikah researcher in Lookout Landing.

That's the one I typically check, and all it ever has on offer is the gloom resistant armor set and depths-sources plants and the like. I'm assuming I have to break the unique items at least once in order to get them to offer those things. So far, I've been saving all the unique swords and shields in my house.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Relatedly, I just spent the last two days trying to find every cave for Kilton. I managed it, but holy poo poo it was so annoying at the end that I had to cross reference with an interactive map. The issue is that he can't sense the location of all of the caves. He seems to be blind to any cave that has a quest associated with it, or one of Misko's treasures, but also just some random caves for seemingly no reason. Some of my last few, for example, were like, a tiny little cave entrance near Ubota Point, hidden behind a jungle tree, two other tiny tiny tiny cave entrances near Kakariko, and a cave associated with a shield surfing quest in Hebra. Of course, Kilton had run out of locations to give me with like 19 frogs left, so that was pretty frustrating.

eightysixed posted:

How many are there, and is there a way to find out how many you completed? I feel like I’ve done 100.

Google says there's 81 total, and there's interactive maps that'll show where he's putting up signs. I don't know how many I've done, as I only do them organically as I find them. It certainly feels like I've done at least half of them. I recall some people also pointing out that he won't be at certain spots until you help him at other spots, so I'm assuming he probably starts in relatively centralized positions and moves outward towards the edges of the map as you help him, or something like that.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I finally rolled credits on the game after ~275 hours. After that, I found and finished the like 7 side quests I had missed and finished the signs, which took another ~10 hours. I've put ~100 more hours into this than I did BOTW.

Honestly, I enjoyed it. I didn't ever really sit down with a specific goal in mind, mostly I just tooled around and let my ADHD point me to wherever. Honestly, I think that helped things overall. Like, if I were ever able to focus on one thing, I could imagine getting frustrated about all the various little hints and nooks and crannies that I was constantly finding. Instead, it was a decently chill experience unless I wanted to go fight something big. I think I basically ended up doing the main quest until I finished with the Rito section, then tooled around for a while going from 0 to 40, then did the Goron area, then tooled around for a long while going from 40 to 80, then did the rest of the main quest up to the final bit before getting the last 20% and finishing.

mycot posted:

It's really funny that they casually made the most powerful Zelda item ever in the Deku Leaf and it only took them 15 years to realize that and revisit it (as the glider in Breath of the Wild).

So powerful, they left the Deku Leaf right in the game. I'll bet if Link were a child, those Korok Leaves would still work just fine.

Honestly, I'm having trouble coming up with my favorite weapon from the various games. I think it might be WW's boomerang? Being able to lock onto multiple targets and at least stun most enemies was great. The spinner suffered from needing a highly visible and hard-to-justify-in-lore track. If it had some other means of sticking to walls, it would've probably seen much more use overall.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I also enjoyed attached a shock and ice emitter to its hands. It gave the thing some combat utility, in that it would randomly stun an enemy or two every once in a while.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's the respawn rate on items from the flying dragons

10 minutes real time. If you're farming specific parts, it'll probably be best to set up on the dragon's back, get the bit you need, then go do something else for 9 minutes. Just make sure that you also pay attention to when the dragons switch between the surface and the depths, or you'll likely fall off. Alternatively, if you're farming all of them, find a map of their routes, then keep traveling between them to help work down those timers.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wildtortilla posted:

I finished the spirit temple and I’m wondering how I should leave and ultimately how to come back should I want to use either of these merchant robots down here. I think I took an elevator down to this area but I can’t seem to activate it to take me out. I’m sure I can teleport out. How do I get back down here later if I want to buy stuff?

IIRC, you can take the elevator back in again, or just drop down the hole. I think it's just a hole now. You will have to warp out to leave, though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I'm not very good at either so it always amazes me when I watch videos of masters doing their thing.

Not quite the same thing, but I'm reminded of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1or3YILu28M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wxU3z9VxOY

You don't have to watch them in order, but it's better if you do.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

For me, I hated the Yiga in BoTW. Once you beat their questline, they just show up everywhere, all the goddamn time. Every time I encountered a road they'd poof in and fight me. It was goddamned annoying. In ToTK, it's kinda the same, but you can at least wear their armor and confuse them into not attacking you. I ended up mainly wearing that armor throughout the game any time I had to travel on the surface. I also ended up warping to places much more often in ToTK. At least I got some interesting interactions out of wearing it in certain situations. I really wish there was some way to turn the encounters off once they become annoying 5 second speed bumps to your enjoyment of the scenery. I already have like 150 bananas, I don't need more.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Veg posted:

You get a paraglider fabric that glows like that armour for finding all frogs.

My fiance did it without a guide and I dunno man she might be autistic

Along with that, there's also a little extra bit if you go show that reward to Kilton. And then if you go to Koltin's favorite place, which is the cherry tree on Satori Mountain, you get a nice little scene to remember the whole thing.

I admit I went for all the gems. All the Addison signs, too. I agree that it's kinda bullshit that Koltin stops being able to detect the things after a while. Especially because by the time you need to find the last few, you've already found all the most obvious ones. If they were gonna go that route, they should've done it the other way, and made Koltin unable to detect anything until he ate a few gems. Three of my final 5 caves were these ones with tiiiiny little entrances like half a kilometer away from the frog. I ended up having to use a guide to find the last like dozen caves.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Akratic Method posted:

I really did expect something weird to happen when you provided him with all the bubbulgems in the world. it absolutely didn’t, it’s another Nintendo troll for completionists

I dunno. I honestly liked the little touches afterward that I highlighted in my previous post. I agree that things like the korok seeds and fully lighting up the depths and helping Addison put up all the signs are Nintendo trolls, yeah, with Addison being like, just barely on the non-trolling side because the reward looks amazing. But if you choose to fully follow through the last bit of stuff after handing in all the gems, it turns out to be a really touching moment in the game. It's like after Mattison leaves for Gerudo Town. If you talk to Rhondson after Mattison leaves, she's all worried about her daughter making it there, and if she's doing well, and if she's happy. But once you find her, you can snap a pic and show Rhondson, and she's just so relieved that she made it and is doing just fine. You get no reward for this, just the satisfaction of helping a worried parent worry less about her child. It's a beautiful little touch that helps the world feel more real, just like following through and letting Kilton know that his brother followed his dreams.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rauru was honestly kind of really stupid, all things considered. Good guy, strong of heart, dumb of rear end.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Yes, it was identical to the Spirit Temple/Mineru fight except after you punch him into the fence, he falls on to the ground rear end up so you have to jump out and hit him for a while unless you want to do weak-rear end Mineru damage. My Mineru had a shock emitter, so I just shocked him, punched him into the fence, then jumped out. Repeated three or four times.

I still need to find the last Yiga outpost so I can get on with the other Yiga clan quest. I also only have the Lightning Temple left and then I'll be done with the Regional Phenomena. I have about 30 shrines left as well. I could probably finish the game this weekend if I ignored getting every shrine. I'd like to find the barbarian helm, though, and I have a ridiculous list of side quests/adventures left to do. I've also maxed out my battery so the depths seem less interesting. Every piece of armor I've found down there has just been like, a collector's item. Something I'll never use.

I did the spoilered bit before finding Mineru, and I'm trying to remember how I did it. I think I just sniped him a bunch? Or maybe used bombs? It was a long time ago in that game. I might've also used shock arrow attacks. I just remember it being hectic and fun.

For the Yiga outposts, IIRC, there's one at Akkala Lab, near the cabin at The Great Plateau, and in a really hard to spot area just east of the edge of the whole Death Mountain zone. Seriously, I never would've found it if it weren't for the map in the hideouts showing each location.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

lol i deliberately avoided hovering over the spoilers and then I clicked reply and saw them anyway. oh well, but as i anticipated there was in fact an obvious clue that i just overlooked

ah, sorry about that. But in fairness, get the armor, wear it, and go interact with some of the very very obvious yiga traps. You'll be glad you did. I like interacting with the Yiga way more than I enjoy fighting them. Some of the interactions you get while wearing the armor out and about are also really good. Try wearing it when you first attempt to enter the Gerudo region via the ruins, if you haven't yet helped them out. Just uh, don't wear it around Kakariko Village. Nothing bad happens, but it can get kinda :smith:

There's actually 2 more hideouts, but they're both for different things. I won't spoil them, even in spoiler tags, but I'll hint that one of them is right in plain sight if you are traveling along the main roads. That one was actually pretty fun to do the associated quest, The other one you probably already know where it is.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Don't worry, the spoiler wasn't that big of a deal I never would have found it trying to look around Death Mountain, because it's actually in the Aldor Foothills to the west of the Lost Woods, so I wouldn't even have looked there if I went with that hint. Instead, I went back to one of the hideouts I already found and looked at a map, and it still took me probably an hour or two to find.

:doh: For some reason, I always think the lost woods is much farther west than it actually is. I don't know if it's the lack of otherwise memorable/identifiable landmarks, or what. The whole region between Hebra and Eldin just kinda just smears together for me.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, the desert is much easier to explore after the storm is cleared, and much more interesting than the area around the lost woods. As for Hebra, while it's got some interesting stuff, it always seem to be enveloped in a snowstorm, so maybe that's why it all feels samey to me.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Were the "search for recipe"/"grab all ingredients" cooking material menu options there from the start, or were they patched in at some point? I don't remember them at all, but I very well could've just ignored them hard enough that they dropped right out of my memory.

I recall them being in there from the start. But in fairness, I only found them when I navigated into the recipe book. They should've made that thing more accessible. They also should've allowed players to queue dishes, or cook multiples at once. I'd sit through the animation 5 times if it meant I didn't have to go select the same ingredients 5 times. Hell, just a prompt like "press X to cook another" or something would've been fine.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Also I can see why I didn't complete it. I just died with full hearts on this stupid shrine. It's the one where you have flowing moats with platforms and constructs on the platforms and on islands in the middle shooting shock arrows at your naked body. I think I found this early in the game and said gently caress this,

protip for that shrine: The boats are able to be ultrahanded. IIRC all I did was ultrahand the boats into the water enough to drown the constructs, then went swimming for all the bows, arrows, and shockfruit they dropped. It was a bit slow, but also pretty fun.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's funny how differently you find things in TotK depending on how you play through it. My first time, I ran away from the first gloom hand I saw, and didn't fight them or meet Phantom Ganon until I was getting pretty close to the end. I remember thinking to myself that's all? when I beat him without any trouble.

This time, I ran into one much earlier and started a fight with Phantom Ganon. I realized I was in over my head and decided to run away, only for him to teleport over and KO me from behind my back right when I thought I was getting away. I feel like that's a much more entertaining introduction, I wish that had happened the first time around.

My first time meeting the gloom hands was in a cave with a shrine. I forget the shrine name, but it was near lookout landing, and was up on a ledge overlooking essentially a giant pit that contained the hands. I scrabbled up the wall and waited for them to despawn, because I had 4 hearts and a half-gone stick on me. The next time, it was a bit further into a cave near dueling peaks stable. This time, I figured I'd try to fight the hands, since I had a decent number of bombs and arrows. The hands went down like a chump, but I didn't realize what came next, panicked a bit, and tried to ascend away. As soon as I popped out up top, so too does Phantom Ganon, who just proceeds to "Nothing personal, kid" me and 1 shot me as I tried to run away.

I didn't actually defeat Phantom Ganon until much later, when I went to try to find my way into the lost woods. Even then, it was carpet bombing the entire area, followed by lots and lots of elemental arrows to the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was wondering if there's supposed to be some trick to them, I always just cheese them with a lynel bow and bomb arrows.

That's pretty much the trick, yeah. If you don't kill all the hands at about the same time, they will respawn quickly, which basically necessitates that you carpet bomb them till they all die. I'd've loved a couple more options for that part of the fight, but it's not like they were exactly common enemies.