Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

While everyone is (reasonably) excited about the Fuse/Ultrahand abilities, I'm curious about the potential uses of Recall. It's hard for me to think of many off the top of my head, but I'm sure there will be a bunch. Maybe you can Rewind enemies to send them back away from you? There will probably be rocks rolling off of mountains periodically as a method to climb them.

The E3 2021 trailer showed Link using what we now know to be Recall on a spiked metal ball rolled downhill towards him from a gang of Bokoblins/Moblins, so it’ll definitely be a part of combat as well as exploration

Also it’s cool as hell to go back and watch that trailer knowing what we know now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This may be a controversial opinion, but I stand by this hot take:

I'm really looking forward to playing Tears of the Kingdom.

:hmmwrong:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Also keep in mind that we really haven’t seen all that much of the ground close up, the trailers and gameplay footage so far have focused heavily on the sky islands.

Mario Galaxy 2 came to life the same way TotK did - DLC that eventually grew expansive enough to spin off into a full game - and I regard Galaxy 1&2 combined as one of the greatest games ever made (hell, THE greatest until BOTW came along) so even if TotK basically has the same “much more of the original” vibe as Galaxy 2 I’m still gonna love the hell out of it

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Remember when they cancelled the UK stream of the title reveal because the Queen kicked the bucket a few days prior? lmao

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

quiggy posted:

"Reused map" really means "geography is the same". If you think the quests or stuff to find will be the same idk to what to say to you

We’ve also seen that Hateno Village is still around and doesn’t appear to have changed much, so I’d expect most settlements to still be the same, though hopefully with some new/expanded ones (Tarrey City!!!)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

quiggy posted:

When did we see Hateno? Like I'm not doubting you I just don't remember

Around 0:35 in this trailer

https://youtu.be/fYZuiFDQwQw

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

There’s a decent argument to be made that Lurelin Village was meant to be involved in the plot, probably involving another Divine Beast based in the ocean, and all of that was cut during development

The main two arguments are A) that entire region being the only really irrelevant region in the final game, almost like there was supposed to be something big there, and B) there’s a whale-looking Divine Beast figurine hanging from the ceiling of the Hateno Lab that also closely resembles one of the Divine Beasts in the concert art

It’d be cool to see them bring that cut concept back, like they did with Link’s hosed-up arm

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I think with BotW it makes more sense that not every major area is important and it builds the character of the world. At least compared to something like WW, which has a destroyed island that was obviously meant to be a major area but they ran out of time and they had to cut it.

It does at least help build the idea that they're places that escaped Ganon's wrath - they're just not important enough for the Big Evil to bother with. Just a tiny lil' fishing village with like five people in it, tucked away on a remote beach, not worth worrying about when you have all of Castle Town to obliterate

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Just Andi Now posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but I've seen some people just absolutely destroy Hyrule Guessr, and that's just the people putting that on youtube.

That could just be people being really good at reading topography maps :shrug: I got a near-perfect score the first time I played and I'm far from familiar with every nook and cranny, but have used topo maps extensively while hiking/camping

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

This guy does some really interesting deep-dive videos about the game, including completing the game in a minimalist 100% challenge run (get all the Koroks, unlock all the main map landmarks, simply activating the shrines without actually going into them since they're not required etc.) He released this video on the theory recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8WZqM6xKWY

This is super cool, and shows a lot of stuff I didn't notice before - thanks!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The best cutscene is in Age of Calamity where some of the guardians are chatting and the camera pans to Link and a bunch of soldiers literally just eating rocks and hooting and hollering about it

lol yeah that cutscene got a hearty chortle out of me. AoC has the best cutscenes in the franchise imo, I really hope the Zelda team kept some of that spirit in the TotK story

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

but BotW but was "Hyrim."

Now that I'm thinking about it it might have been Skyrule.

lol

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It would be insanely funny if this game has playable Zelda and Nintendo doesn’t say a word about it before release

Just imagine the Gaming Twitter meltdown on May 12

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My theory is that she falls off that cliff in the cave scene, and while she doesn't die from that, everyone assumes she did - hence the kingdom's tears. Either you do get to play as Zelda and you have to use the Sheikah Slate to battle your way out of the cave, or one of the later dungeons will have Link go down into the underground and rescue her.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The other trick against Lynel attacks is getting good enough at shield parrying.

I’m not that good at it.

Git gud at Perfect Dodge/Flurry Attacking and you can go through an entire Lynel fight without being hit once

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Also yeh Revali's Gale owns and Daruk's Protection is useless enough I had it disabled most of the time. It'll be interesting to see if there's any analogue to the Champion powers in TotK since there's been no sign of the Champions returning, with Revali basically being confirmed as not coming back

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

On the other hand, Lynel weapons/bows/shields are some of the most badass in the game, so it's impossible to say if Lynel fights are worth it or not they are

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Khanstant posted:

You can use those weapons to fight more Lynels!!

:hmmyes:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

To be fair, I don't think Daruk's Protection is terrible; It is good to have, but it is definitely the lesser of the Champion powers.

Anyway I got shrines to a nice even number (108), so I am off to Hyrule Castle tomorrow to get that last Memory and beat up Ganon.

Heads up, once you’ve retrieved the last Memory in the Castle, assuming that means you’ve found all 12, dip out of the castle and head back to Impa to get the clue for the hidden 13th memory :) getting it before you finish nets you a bonus post-credits scene

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It's no Super Mario 64 though, that is a game anyone can play today and agree that it's a GOAT contender, it's lost zero of its playability and fun in thirty years.

Gonna have to disagree on this - I adored SM64 at launch, it was the first game I ever 100%ed, but I tried to get back into it when I got 3D All-Stars and after the nostalgia rush of the first few worlds wore off I just could not get back into it. It’s currently sitting at 30ish stars in my copy of 3dAS, where it will likely stay forever.

Galaxy, on the other hand…:kimchi:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Looking increasingly likely that I’ll be joining y’all in the launch weekend party :woop:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

I've had two kids since BOTW came out.

God it’s been so long between Zeldas :cry:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Still holding out hope for a BOTW-style cinematic trailer

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yes, that’s what I was referring to

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

What's this about this lady moving in with the plan to be in a relationship? That seems like an unusual situation.

seems like a bad idea imo

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s okay TotK, I only take three minutes too

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

HopperUK posted:

We're talking in PMs. It's not the long dumb post, I wouldn't have time in my life to address those, it's the 'lowballing rent for girl who now won't gently caress me' bit.

C'mon now, they said they were lovingly lowballing the rent, that's gotta count for something

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Nintendo gave us six years to get raises and y'all let them down

i wasn't making poo poo six years ago so I did my part

:same: if we’re doing the “where were you six years ago” bit, I was working a dead-end retail job and not making poo poo for money. Now I’ve got a great-paying union job that I love with ample disposable income to give directly to Nintendo

Felt great to be able to smash that pre-order button the second it became available

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

FooF posted:

So, can tomorrow's trailer hold a candle to BotW's? Of course not, but I'm hoping it tries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

I’m still hoping for this kind of trailer, but if they do it with similarly epic music as this trailer and then the final game has none of that music again…well, I will be a very, very grumpy camper :mad:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hoo boy, now that was a fuckin’ trailer! Here’s hoping the game’s music is similar this time, the soundtrack gave me goosebumps

All of the dweebs that kept saying this’ll just be DLC can officially and eternally suck it

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I am a-ok with Yunobo being replaced lmao

E: or it could just be three Champions this time, that seems more Zelda-esque

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 13, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Sydin posted:

Age of Calamity had a lot more plot stuff going on than BotW so yeah I'm hoping that's continuing on here.

Genuinely hope the Zelda team worked with Koei Tecmo on this like they did AOC, AOC has some of the best cutscenes and story elements of the whole franchise

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

AoC Zelda is unironically best Zelda between her arc and her playability, Link is kinda just there as the muscle/comedic mood-lightener

:hmmyes:

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone else think Ganondorf has a samurai thing going on?

I think it’s supposed to look Gerudo

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The more I think about it the more I think we will get at least some time with Zelda - there’s two scenes in the trailer where she’s referring to Link when he’s clearly not there, what context in-game would lead us to see those if we were playing exclusively from his perspective?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The overworld music in the gameplay trailer sounded like it’s the same but I have high hopes for the Dungeon/Boss Battle music

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Zoig posted:

I do also genuinely hope for a more interesting ganondorf than "hes back and evil and now has a katana" and finally laying the curse to rest at the end would tie nicely to the games title. Hyrule being in a constant cycle of being conqured and liberated from evil is probably not good for it.

I could definitely go for some more personalization, for as wordy as WW’s ending was I really dug the whole “your gods are evil and they did this to you” tone

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Zat posted:

I love the music that plays on TOTK's official Japanese website. This game is going to have a great soundtrack.

Click "on" when you load the page (it's sound on/off):
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/totk/index.html

This is giving me Mario Galaxy vibes (with a distinctly Zelda flavor), which is very promising because Galaxy’s soundtrack was god-tier, just lightning in a bottle

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I am still in my first BotW playthrough but pretty far along. Found about 85 shrines but less than 100 Korok seeds. Still seeing new stuff.

For instance, I was spotted by a moblin but it couldn't reach me, so it grabbed a bokoblin by the head and threw him at me.

I got a good laugh the first time that happened to me. What a game

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Theorycrafting is very cool and fun imo

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Divine Beasts are completely absent, with no explanation whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

One of the breakdown videos (Zeltik?) of the latest trailer pointed out that one of the sky islands kinda sorta looks like Skyloft if you cross your eyes and squint real hard and now my theorycrafting-poisoned brain can’t unsee it, so now I’m finishing up Skyward Sword just in case

This is not helped by the latest trailer convincing me even more that Demise and Hylia will be coming back this time around