Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Blaziken386 posted:

the reward for all koroks being a literal pile of poop

the true reward is that you get the ability to command Hestu to dance any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Throw some meat on the ground, freeze it with an ice fruit, and fuse the icy meat to a shield. You get an excellent shield-surfing shield; low friction comparable to a cart-shield but with more maneuverability.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

God drat, the Colgera music slaps so fuckin hard

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

d0grent posted:

yeah the constructs were cool cause they asked the player to use all their powers to fight them effectively

i went through 99% of my playthrough without realizing that flux construct cubes counted as physics objects. a bit counter-intuitive imo. you can't ultrahand any other enemy, and you can Recall some projectiles but idk i guess the flux construct cubes never read as "projectiles" to me.

even without using ultrahand or recall, I thought they were pretty easy minibosses.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Did you use ascend?

yeah. You can ascend through other things that aren't physics objects, including some monsters, so that was a lot more intuitive.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I have no idea how to fight the III variant without ultrahand, the weak cube always shifts before I can shoot it.

So, if you find it easy without powers, how'd you do it?

For the humanoid form, you just stand on top of it until the weak cube shifts to somewhere on the top, and then swing wildly. It's pretty easy to climb up top when it does the hand-slam, and then you can just hang out up there. Alternately, if it gets stunned while you're not on top (by tulin usually) you can stand between its feet and do a spin attack and hit it when the weak cube shifts to one of the 4 feet cubes.

Platform form is the easiest. You bomb arrow it in the center so it gets hit by the splash damage, to get it to lower itself, then you can ascend through it and go to town. if you run out of bomb arrows, you're hosed i guess, but idk i'm a hoarder so I always had plenty. you can probably rocket-shield up to it or whatever but I never tried that.

The cube form is the hardest but mostly I just ran around and hit it with a sword or whatever. Sometimes it took a while to stun it, but its attacks are really easy to dodge. It is a lot easier to do this form quickly with ultrahand, but it's so drat easy to dodge that I wouldn't exactly call it "hard" without UH.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

With ultrahand, recall, and two hover stones, you can move around arbitrarily in space. You ultrahand one stone to where you want to go, then back to near you, jump onto it, and recall it back to where you want to go. Then ultrahand the other stone and repeat until you reach your destination.

Not a terribly useful ability most of the time because it's quite slow, but it comes in handy occasionally. I think I used it twice the whole playthrough. Once in a wet cave before I had upgraded frog armor, and the other time, I couldn't find a hidden chest in Hyrule Castle, so I flew underneath the castle, used the sensor to triangulate where it was while gliding around, then used a hover-stone arrow to make a platform, landed on it, fire another hover-stone arrow, and then slowly lifted myself up to the underside of the castle until I could ascend into the hidden room.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

If Rauru was going to be a villain why would ghost Rauru graft his arm onto you at the beginning of the game? Personally I thought Mineru was gonna be the betrayer, because of jealousy or something. But no, the story was simply entirely devoid of intrigue.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Thinking about it more, I think the reason I had a vague impression that Mineru was going to betray Zelda and Rauru was because Rauru and the old Sages are shown to be nigh unstoppable in power; there's that cutscene where Rauru just obliterates an entire army of moldugas. And the entire infrastructure of the kingdom rested on these construct robots that Mineru specifically created and controlled. So when Rauru, Sonia, Zelda, and the four other Sages are all obviously extreme goody-two-shoeses, and with their combined might they easily dominate the poo poo out of the competition, what better way for the status quo to be disrupted than to have Mineru, who's basically in a "grand vizier" type role, to betray them, turning the constructs against them to allow Ganondorf to gain an upper hand on the heroes? It would also make the constructs a lot more interesting, since they don't really do anything except be generic enemies and tutorial delivery machines. Instead, what happens is that Ganondorf impersonates Zelda to backstab Sonia and take her magic rock, and while that's fine and all, it's a bit unsatisfying because the heroes still have six magic rocks and last I checked six is quite a bit bigger than one so why are they having such a hard time against Ganondorf?

also agreed with several of the above posts that Mineru is a poo poo combat companion. so it woulda been nice to get rid of that part of the game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The above posts got me thinking about the overall Zelda timeline and whether/how BOTW/TOTK fit into it. It's all pretty stupid but here are my thoughts on it.

In at least some of the previous iterations of the unified Zelda timeline, while there are multiple links and zeldas throughout history, there is only one Ganon(dorf), who was the Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time transformed by the power of the Triforce, and became immortal, being sealed in the Sacred Realm, Dark World, or Twilight Realm, depending. The Triforce of Power, granted to him by the goddesses themselves, makes him pretty much immortal.

There are three timelines. In the Link Loses timeline, the Sages imprison the transformed Ganon and the whole Triforce in the Sacred Realm, which becomes the Dark World, and leads to the events of LTTP and LOZ 1 and 2. In the Link Wins, Child Timeline, Ganondorf never transforms, but is instead at some point in his mortal lifespan banished to the Twilight Realm, and that leads to Twilight Princess. In the Link Wins, Adult Timeline, Ganondorf un-transforms (as seen in the ending cinematic of OOT) and is sealed with his Triforce of Power in the Sacred Realm, but later breaks out, and the Sages defeat him by flooding the world, and hence you get the events of Wind Waker, followed by Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Apparently, according to BOTW's director, BOTW (and by extension TOTK) sits at the end of one of the three branches (OOT Link loses, OOT Link wins child timeline, OOT Link wins adult timeline), but doesn't specify which one.

So in every game with a Ganon or Ganondorf, they're all the same single guy, born as a Gerudo in the era of Ocarina of Time. In Breath of the Wild, Calamity Ganon could've been any of those three timeline versions of that guy, once again resurfacing to gently caress poo poo up.

But in TOTK, we've got a wrench in the works. There are two problems. The first is that the Zonai descending to found Hyrule (again?) is very hard to place in the timeline. And the second is that it seems to be that the Ganondorf that becomes the Demon King is again a Gerudo, but this time born in the era of the founding by Zonai king Rauru.

Two possibilities for fitting it in, that I can see. In both of them, just as Link and Zelda are reincarnated over and over again, Ganondorf has been, as well, but there are only exactly 2 incarnations of Ganondorf (compared to the dozen or so reincarnations of Link and Zelda).

Option 1: Because of certain things like e.g. the ruined Temple of Time on the Great Plateau being implied to be the same one as the Temple of Time in OOT, I think that the Zonai founding of Hyrule happened after the events of Skyward Sword but before Minish Cap. The people of Skyloft became the Hylians, but did not yet found Hyrule. An age later, the Zonai, who also lived in the sky but I guess never met the people of Skyloft, descend, and Rauru and Sonia found Hyrule, uniting the dispersed Hylian peoples. TOTK Ganondorf is alive at this time, and then the TOTK imprisoning war happens. Ganondorf is sealed so hard that he vanishes from the world for many ages. But somehow his spirit escapes, and gets reincarnated as OOT Ganondorf. This time he gets a hold of the Triforce of Power, and from then on is no longer being reincarnated, but instead is functionally immortal. Then all those other games happen, in their respective timelines. On one of those timelines, Ganondorf breaks free of the Sacred Realm/Dark World/Twilight Realm (don't know which one) one extra time to cause the Calamity from BOTW, and is defeated 10,000 years later. For the first time, this Ganondorf is utterly destroyed by Zelda's magic, his triforce immortality broken, and he is now ready to reincarnate again in the next age. But rather than reincarnate, his spirit returns to his previous body, and lies in wait to escape again - and does so. It's not clear why Rauru's imprisoning suddenly wears off while Zelda and Link are staring at his arm, but whatever.

Main evidence against this theory is that there are no dragon gods during the events of other Zelda games.

Option 2: The Zonai don't arrive at any time during the pre-BOTW timeline. After the events of whichever one of the three timelines, Hyrule as we know it collapses. Ages later (perhaps even hundreds of thousands of years later) it is re-founded by Zonai Rauru and Sonia. Just as apparently every few thousand years, some random peasant couple happens to decide to name their kid "Link" and he goes on to be a legendary hero, so too do Rauru and Sonia just happen to decide to call their kingdom Hyrule even though it has no political connection to the Hyrule that was in previous LOZ games. The references to e.g. the OOT Temple of Time are just references; it's not the same temple. It may not even be the same continent, for all we know. This time, TOTK Ganondorf is Ganondorf 2; what happened to the functionally immortal Ganondorf 1? Who knows? Perhaps his defeat in one of the previous games was truly a final end. In this version of events, I think that Calamity Ganon is like some sort of astral projection of TOTK Ganondorf that he is able to create despite his imprisonment, in a similar way to how he produces Phantom Ganons.

Main evidence against this theory is the architectural connections between BOTW/TOTK's world and previous LOZs.

Of course, there's also the alternate theory that TOTK and BOTW are on an entirely new timeline. In this timeline, again I think Calamity Ganon is a projection of TOTK Ganondorf. Would this timeline connected be the others at all? I don't think so; or if it is, it branches off early (pre-OOT). So in this theory there's always only one Ganondorf. The only real evidence against this theory is that it's boring.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Donkringel posted:

So I just found out a cool use with one of the Sages.

You can use a barehanded Mineru to one shot mine ore nodes. It doesn't even knock the ore all over the place!

Friendship ended with Yunobu, Mineru is now my best friend. (Note you cannot use Mineru to break Zonaite ore walls so Yunobu still has marginal use).

Mineru feels like the sage to give you an easy way out of the bits of the game that becomes annoying over time. Don't want to deal with gloom? Ride Mineru. Don't want to waste weapon slots or durability for mining? Use Mineru. Want to be able to use the Zonaite glider? Strap one to Minerus back. Don't want to waste bomb flowers? Strap a cannon to Mineru's hands.

She isn't best Sage but when you need her to do something she is very versatile.

except using mineru is like 3x slower than every other easy option. Getting on, doing what you gotta do, and getting off again is incredibly tedious compared to the other options available. And she doesn't do anything unique, other than gently caress you up when you're spamming "A" to try and use one of the other sages.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

Is there some kind of a trick to this?

Any source of fire, lightning, or explosive damage works to remove her (and her minions') armor. Fire fruit, shock fruit, bomb flowers, ruby wand, topaz wand, fire/electric keese eye, fire emitter shield, dinraal/farosh weapon, etc. are things you might have lying around that'll make it a lot easier. When she's doing the wind attack, just hit the fuckin sprint button and run like hell, don't try to be artful. I'm not sure exactly what items work on the minion spawners, but I know bomb flowers do, so you don't have to wait around for Riju's lightning. Beyond that, all the usual combat trickery is good. Bullet time is broken as always; if you have a way to get up high (bomb shields, rocket shields, platform arrows, etc) to get bullet time on the way down is good.

It's probably the hardest fight in the game, fwiw.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Chieves posted:

E: Then another endgame mechanic question. Controlling Mineru kind of stinks. Any good items to equip, either for movement or attacking? I had more luck just using a spike ball and flame thrower than trying to aim the cannon properly.

I would suggest unequipping the vow of mineru

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm considering a play-through of the Zelda series. Or at the very least, the ones I haven't actually played before + the ones I really liked (so basically all of them...). I've never fully played Zelda 1. A friend had it when we were kids, and I think we did 2 dungeons together but that was it. I know when people talk about it nowadays, it's a lot of "I can't believe I remembered to bomb that random rock in the random mountain screen to find important item. I couldn't do that without a guide today."

So is there a good guide out there for Zelda 1 that people like to use? I'm thinking there's got to be something that is vague enough to not be a hand-holdy, step-by-step walkthrough, but isn't completely obtuse.

The game's actual manual, along with this map that came with some(?) versions of the game, will be quite helpful, if you're looking for the "intended experience" of the game. The only other thing to note is that certain bits of dialogue are pretty poorly translated, so it may be worth looking those up if you can't figure out what they're trying to say.

If, however, you want to 100% the game, you're going to have to bomb every bit of every wall and burn every tree, which is tedious as hell; idk whether there's a spoiler-light guide for that kind of thing. All I can tell you is that bombable caves in the overworld are always on a top/north wall (opening down/southwards). Alternately you can just look up where those are - that's up to you.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Donkringel posted:

Actually Jack Black as Tingle would be baller.

He was one of two good voice performances (Fred Armisen being the other) in the new mario movie, so I'm on board with this casting.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I hope they make link a twink in the movie.

Exactly. You need that young twink vibe for a good Link. Some up-and-coming young actor we've never heard of would probably be the best choice.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I did one of those sky island shrine stone quests today and I was flying the orb to the next island except I flew too high and jumped off and watched my plane with the stone on it fly off into the horizon.

gotta hit "recall" real quick and tag it, then when it's over the island again you stop it and it'll fall straight down.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I think that the main reason y'all are a bit down on OoT is that it's, well, kinda basic. It doesn't stand out as wowing anyone anymore because it's a basic story with basic sidequests, in which you use basic core mechanics and basic items. It doesn't have that crazy creativity that Majora's Mask had. Once you've experienced it a couple times, it's going to seem like it's lost all novelty. But every aspect of it, other than the dodgy early-3D-game controls and graphics, is executed really loving well. Absolutely dominates over MM with good level design, charming characters, fun minigames, etc., even if MM might have more crazy cool ideas like the transformation masks and the 3-day cycle stuff. I mean, they're both fantastic games, I'm just sayin', there's reasons that OoT is rated so highly.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Ravenson posted:

I found that the rails in the Temple were fun 75% of the time and that 25% of the time the local escort quest shithead would, in the process of hopping onto the rail cart, send me flying into the lava below.

Why'd he do it!?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Labyrinth? You mean that thing that's trivialized by building a zonai flying machine of some kind? Yeah no wonder they aren't challenging. Imagine if the minotaur had a hoverbike. Crete would be hosed

The labyrinths were cool places to explore but I definitely didn't think of them as "challenges".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I decided to switch to Japanese audio

why'd you do it??