Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think Zelda games are good and that the new Zelda will be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Mister Facetious posted:

Nice, a Nuts & Bolts reference

I wonder how all of the Rare people feel when the response to Nuts & Bolts was primarily confusion and upset but now this has huge excitement with people referencing N&B.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
One of the Sky Islands better be Literally Skyloft.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Asterite34 posted:

Petition to change the thread title to this in the unlikely event the game is bad and makes everyone mad

Its a Nintendo game. Being mad about a series that you're also somehow unable to stop buying is the main interaction a ton of people seem to have with them.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Every day without any clarification makes me the story is going to be some significant setting changer and that's why they're not talking about it.

External Organs posted:

With TotK you can use Ultrahand to smash your criticism of Zelda together with another game entirely! Want to write an annoying post about how TotK disappointed you in a similar way to Luigi's Mansion 3? You can do it, with Ultrahand.

Gooigi? More like when-will-Nintendo-ever-make-a-good-game-igi?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Luring enemies by fusing meat directly to my flamethrower

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think the special pro controllers are in shorter stock than the special Switches. The Splatoon 3 and Pokemon ones have come back in stock a few times since their releases but the S3 controller never has.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Alxprit posted:

the story has nowhere to go but up

I mean based on what we've seen the story also goes down as well as up.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Will Link have to detonate a nuke in the underground cave system to stop the monsters from coming out?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

FooF posted:

I also thought of the "Sheikah stole Zonai tech, rewrote history to make themselves the heroes and don't fully understand their own devices" but I can't think of a time where the Sheikah are ever inferred to be nefarious. BotW makes them out to be universally good. To suddenly retcon that seems a bit disingenuous.

Yet (!), I fully support that the Hero from the tapestry is a Zonai warrior. I think tapestry warrior having red hair has always been a bit of a tip off to something and wasn't just artistic flare. Hell, maybe it's the same tapestry Hero's hand that kept Ganon sealed away all these years (and ultimately Link's fate, too?)

The Shadow Temple is kinda presented as "the place that Sheikah tortured and executed the enemies of the Royal Family" so it wouldn't be entirely out of place for them to have some bad elements.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't know why they ripped off the narrator from Stanley Parable. And they hosed up the audio tracks so sometimes you hear a Japanese voice under the English one?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Impa was my second favorite in both Hyrule Warriors games because she was such a ridiculous fighting beast. Shiekah exist to pose and murder the gently caress out of the enemies of the Royals.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Augus posted:

not true at all, individual pieces of gear in BoTW give you bonuses, not just the full sets. there are many areas in botw where you only need one piece of gear with heat/cold resistance and then you can use the other two slots on whatever.

Link is Hyrule's winter coat and shorts guy

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Akkala has the prettiest trees, 10/10 area of the map

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The final boss is using Ultrahand and Fuse to build the legendary third cutscene

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When there are only two cutscenes they better make them really good ones.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

MokBa posted:

I don't see why I should get multiple lives in video games when I only get one in the real world. That's just not very realistic.

You get a continue at your last save if you say "No, no, that's not how it happened" right after you die.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
American Mario 2 and Zelda 2 are eternally valid because they never actually made things that follow them up.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Japanese Mario 2 is funny because Nintendo never made stuff so intentionally bullshit again and now Mario games have famously innovated in trying to make sure everyone can finish them with stuff like Super Guide.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I save my precious clicks for "Ending Explained" videos of the most literal stories ever written.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I always felt like Lynels took too long to fight. I could get into being able to flurry them reliably but they just took so many hits unless there was some other trick to taking them down faster.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It would be nice if a Zelda could have sword combat at least as good feeling as Wind Waker again. It had an exceptional balance of flow and enemy strength.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Since Link canonically can and enjoys eating rocks, wood seems like no biggie other than splinters.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hotter Take, the fundamentals of OoT are still incredibly strong and it has a ton of great choices in the dungeons. The only weakness is that I've played it dozens of times.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I think OoT is still drat playable. If anything feels less than modern it's the structure and some of the more obtuse overworld puzzles (like feeding a fish to the whale to get it to open its mouth), but combat (while obviously less refined than anything nowadays) still just *works.*

It's no Super Mario 64 though, that is a game anyone can play today and agree that it's a GOAT contender, it's lost zero of its playability and fun in thirty years.

The absolute lack of air control in SM64 is the roughest part of it now. The early levels still feel great but the later levels that demand perfect jumping make me wish I had a double jump or some ability to shift momentum in the air.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I pet my cats a lot in the past six years. They are still sweeties.

I hope Link learned to pet cats in these long years.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Using Link’s refrigerator truck as a meat arrow hwacha

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Refridgeraider

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
OoT pretty tidily created two timelines.

It is just really funny that they decided there was a third timeline for "Link loving died" to resolve where most of the the 2d games should go.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel like everything that made heavy use of the touchscreen or just having two screens is going to be trapped forever on the DS family and WiiU.

I know that they can be emulated but it doesn't quite have the polished, just so, experience I'd expect Nintendo to want.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Polo-Rican posted:

Relatedly, I hate marvel films, but after the Zelda trailer I *guess* I get how marvel fans feel

We're excited for this game though instead of the implications of what this game will mean for the next phase of the franchise rollout

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I remember the old official Zelda website used to put everything together into a single timeline (it went through the N64 games at least), which I think had weird stuff like it was all a single Link but multiple Zeldas.

e: here it is: http://web.archive.org/web/20021002111625/http://www.zelda.com/lib_timeline.html. It uses the idea that the timeloops in Termina caused hundreds of years to pass before Link got back to stitch things to the 2D games.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 14, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Getting back to the heart of Zelda where Link starts the game asleep, having missing the land rising up under him and getting stuck in the sky for a bit.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Antonymous posted:

The oracle games end with the opening shot of link's awakening, pixel for pixel - link on a boat. But the timeline puts link's awakening as happening first

Oracle games were the dream that Link had after the dream of the Wind Fish. That's why it had a punching kangaroo and a bear with tiny wings.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Orange Crush Rush posted:

but no Kirby enemies or Prince Richard cameos

yeah because its Link's dream this time

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah, I played SS on the WiiU with a real Wiimote and on the Switch with motion controls and it was better. Still not perfect but entirely comfortable.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
One of the big pros for SS motion controls on the Switch is that the sensors in the Joycons are way better than the ones in the nunchuck for the left hand gestures.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 17, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Every time Link dies pushes you into an alternate timeline where Link didn't die there.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I can only do gyro aim in games like Skyward Sword where my hands need to be up and ready at all times using joycons or Wiimote style controls. Anything where I'm holding a more standard controller doesn't work. Splatoon made me realize how fidgety I am when I'm sitting and for stuff where its only used for aiming I don't switch effectively to needing to care about where my hands are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Skyward Sword is weird in the series because any individual game is usually more consistent in quality. Skyward is extremely high highs and very low lows.