Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

*Impa claims that the Yiga split off because 10,000 years ago, the king of hyrule was like "hey i find your tech levels to be inherently suspicious and im exiling all of you because of it", and the schism happened because some were like "okay but what if we just got rid of the tech and became ninjas rice farmers, is that cool?" and some others were like "gently caress you, king shithead, we didn't want to be part of your government anyways!!" If we assume this to be true, then it makes no sense for the yiga to be at the exact same tech level of everyone else. Even if it degraded from lack of resources, they should still have something. Given the shared iconography and continued bad blood between the two groups, it's more likely that the split happened maybe a generation or two before impa. Hyrule is just really loving bad at keeping historical records even when they aren't being ravaged by apocalyptic doom boars.

They were very distracted by bananas. The enlightened Sheikah have overcome such worldly desires and thus were able to successfully steal tech from the Zonai and claim it as their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

I will call bullshit on anyone who is familiar with every single nook and cranny

Normally I'd agree with you, but I've seen some people just absolutely destroy Hyrule Guessr, and that's just the people putting that on youtube.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Linkle exists because of random concept art for a cut "Link's little sister" type character for the original Wii U Hyrule Warriors. They ended up adding her for, iirc, the 3DS version and then the Switch version with a different backstory because folks liked the design.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

tsob posted:

The who now? Also, put me down as someone who would be pleasantly surprised if Zelda (or Linkle) was a playable character, but thinks it has zero actual chance of being the case in reality. I think Nintendo are safe enough with their big, established properties at this point they'll never not make the existing big bad of most of the past games the big bad of future games. I'm honestly surprised Ripley wasn't the boss of Metroid: Dread, and put that down to second party developers of a smaller (or less scrutinized) title by virtue of it being 2D, rather than Nintendo doing it directly.

Ridley was already the final boss of the same team's previous outing in Samus Returns, where they decided to throw him in at the end of a game that didn't already have him in it. But also, Ridley doesn't really scream Big Bad. Just more of a recurring pain-in-the-rear end.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

MokBa posted:

I'm glad BotW came out and was like "sure it's all one thing who cares have fun".

It did not actually do this! At most, Aonuma has played coy about its placement in the timeline, but if you look at the details, two of the timelines in fact contradict Breath of the Wild, and one has no such contradictions.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The power of the Amiibo transcends time and space.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

As far as the history of the timeline, Up until and including OoT it was straightforward, based entirely on manual and in-game stories. OoT -> ALttP -> LoZ -> AoL

In 2002, Game Pro asked where Wind Waker placed in the series timeline and Aonuma and MIyamoto said this:

2002 Game Pro Interview posted:

Aonuma: You can think of this game as taking place over a hundred years after Ocarina of Time. You can tell this from the opening story, and there are references to things from Ocarina located throughout the game as well.

Miyamoto: Well, wait, which point does the hundred years start from?

Aonuma: From the end.

Miyamoto: No, I mean, as a child or as a...

Aonuma: Oh, right, let me elaborate on that. Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina.

Miyamoto: This is pretty confusing for us, too. (laughs) So be careful.

So it's been a question since they revealed games would be on different timelines.

The only real shakeup was when Hyrule Historia released in like 2011 which revealed the third timeline in the split.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Speaking of that guy, they refused to say Tidus's name in X or X-2 because you can rename him. It was very awkward.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Dictator. posted:

I don’t mind the lore and timeline stuff but at some point it gets too complicated and I just hope that Nintendo doesn’t limit itself in game development cause the new thing has to fit in somewhere between all the old things.

Honestly I think it works the other way around. Nintendo comes up with the central gimmick for the game then picks a spot in the timeline so they can use that to inform the story and details, and they aren't really opposed to retconning either.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Only the moon knows.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Point Crow posts modded and vanilla BOTW challenge videos (and placed a $10k bounty for a multiplayer mod which someone actually recently claimed.)

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I'm expecting most of the guardians to be gone, but they'll have one guardian to surprise us in some cave somewhere with the terrifying piano.

And something else will replace on them on the field for sure.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Gruckles posted:

Gyro aiming for micro adjustments rules.

The Maroon Hawk appears to be describing Gyro aiming for macro adjustment though, which I'm baffled by, but if it works for them....

EDIT: Never mind, I misread. Don't mind me.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Skyward Sword was really pulling hard from Buddhism and Japanese folklore and it shows.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I hope it doesn't, because that means that everything that happens going forward now takes place between these two points. It makes the universe feel closed in.

It doesn't have to if they introduce more new timeline splits. Look forward to the timeline debates if that happens.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Junpei posted:

did the flamethrower arm get dropped or something

Dunno if a flamethrower arm was ever a thing but fusing a flamethrower dragon head (shown in the previews) to your shield will make it spit fire when you've got your shield up.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

I couldn't find the specific video because there have been several copycats made, but i distinctly remember seeing a video of link in botw just getting absolutely bodied in every way possible set to "Its A Hard Knock Life" and that encapsulated the spirit of botw more than anything else. The idea that TotK will have more slapstick potential is wonderful.

This one came out the month of launch and has just over 8 million views. Is it the one you're thinking of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scMvXB0BEmY

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

At the very least, the horns dropped harder variants of enemies will give stronger buffs to the weapons you fuse them with, so I imagine by the time you get to late game with harder enemy variants everywhere, you'll have much stronger materials to boost your attack power as well. It seems like some of the base weapons (like sticks) will have their own associated bonuses as well, like the sturdy stick which has more durability. Hopefully those are passed on when they're fused.

Seems like they're encouraging you to fight higher tier enemies this time for access to their stronger materials.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I hope the existence of armored bokos means we'll get darknut or iron knuckle equivalents. Just bring back every enemy that debuted in Zelda 1 or 2.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I wonder if the movable Zonai platforms reset at any point, or if they just trust you not to stick too many rockets on one and yeet it into a useless corner of sky you can’t get it back from.

In BotW, pretty much all environmental things (trees, rocks, giant iron doors) get reset whenever you hit a loading screen or the chunk of the map gets unloaded, so I imagine they'll just come back if you trigger a warp of some kind.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Current running theory (afaik) is that BotW Zelda's sealing power is the complete Triforce which has been passed down through the royal family, which is why she's supposed to pray at all three springs.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The Master Sword isn't in Zelda 2 (or Zelda 1). Link just found a knife and started using it and it was working so why mess with what works.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

They sound like your bog standard JP voice cast, along with the most stereotypical old man voices you've ever heard. (Speaking of BotW, anyway. Dunno what TotK is like.)

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The only English VAs I really had a problem with were the King who had to deliver a huge monologue while maintaining his funky accent. Well, and Mipha, but I can't really put into words why. Zelda I thought did a pretty good job for the most part, even if they wanted her to speak in a not-quite British accent.

I wonder if the funky accents were deliberate. It's one thing to have a bad impression of any random British accent, but these sounded more like someone wanted a specific accent that was inspired by RP and it just didn't land.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Speaking of, I wonder if Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule and Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule both introduce themselves with their full names because they actually married into the Hyrule royal family. Do they merely rule as King Regent until their respective daughters/descendants take the throne? Am I thinking about this more than Nintendo has?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

okay thats my bad, i didnt realize botw did that. surely, making alternative versions for each region would be MORE effort than just having them all in the base game, right?

What happened is that the voices and text were originally tied to your system language. They patched in an option to make selections in-game instead. Although there are a few games which are different per region (iirc Splatoon 1 is one of those and maybe also Splatoon 2).

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Hey uhh

Having hardly engaged with any Zelda in the 90’s, how did we go from Ganon the pig villain to Ganondorf this redhead guy

It happened in two Zelda games released in the 90s. A Link to the Past's backstory mentions a guy named Ganondorf who wished on the Triforce and became Ganon the pig villain, then Ocarina of Time was about that guy named Ganondorf who wished on the Triforce and became Ganon the pig villain.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Augh, the bird man statue trail that ends with a knocked over one in the depths has got me bashing my head against a wall trying to figure out what to do. I can see on my map where I'm trying to get to somehow, but I can't actually figure out how to get in.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Question: about how many stamina rings do you need to tame the giant horse on Hateno Beach? I have nearly two full ones but that wasn’t enough

Kind of late, but both Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom handle taming horses the same way or close enough: (spoiler just in case you don't want to know how it works) You just have to press the soothe button enough times. Something in the 20-30 range iirc. If you mash fast enough it's possible to tame any horse with base stamina.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah autobuild should have been included from the start rather than gated behind story progress.

tbh it's pretty much only gated behind getting the paraglider (or a fairy, I guess). Nothing stops you from getting it if you end up in that location early on like I did.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

In the Depths, I kept following the sword holding statues past the Central Mine and ended up at the South Lomei Labyrinth before taking a break. Are there more statues leading to more stuff past this?

Yes there are more. They merely pass by the labyrinth.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Since it came up, from what I understand about durability and fusing:

The base weapon has two durability values, its regular durability and a flat 25(?) fuse durability which doesn't vary by weapon. When something is fused to a weapon, it will use the fuse durability until it hits zero. If the fuse durability is zero, or there's nothing fused to the weapon, it depletes the regular durability. If you un-fuse and then re-fuse to a base weapon, it doesn't replenish the fuse durability.

Don't know much about the durability of weapons or shields that have been fused onto a base though.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Hogama posted:

There's a bit of tiering for the fuse durability: a Bokoblin Arm fused only gets 8 hits until it breaks, as opposed to 5 hits un-fused, so its fuse durability is only 3. A Rusty Broadsword fused only gets 16 hits until it breaks, as opposed to 6 hits un-fused, so its fuse durability is only 10. However, I do believe that good bases only max out at ~25 fuse durability - an undecayed Traveler's Sword lasted 45 hits fused as opposed to 20 hits un-fused for me.

Thanks for the correction. I walked away from the post and suddenly remembered bokoblin arms and wasn't sure how that all shook out.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I think as an improvement, the devs could make it so tapping up will just re-fuse the last item without the pause to show the inventory and confirmation. And also let me favorite items instead of relying on most used. And also just have a better way of traversing the materials list that isn't scrolling through 60 items.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Speaking of, if you wanna remove the middle man of having a campfire to get an updraft, setting a spicy pepper on fire has the same height as a pine cone thrown at a fire. This was possible in breath of the wild, too, but they actually increased the effect in this game.

Steve Yun posted:

Where is the best place to farm fire fruit

Dunno about the best spot, you can get like 20 by going back to the Fuse shrine every now and then.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Any place with lots of wooden crates. Usually monster camps, but also some sky islands. Archers at monster camps also tend to drop bundles of arrows.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

watchoutitsabear posted:

Sorry to skip 200 pages of content but I'm still very early in the game and have only one goal: good horses. Has anyone found the good 5-star horses in this game?? My game didn't transfer over my stable from BotW and I want my gorgeous good-rear end 5-star horses back!

If your BOTW file exists on the Switch on that same profile, try registering any random horse and it should reveal your BOTW horses for you. I think it ignores Master Mode horses though.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The best guess we have as to where the triforce is is that Zelda currently has the completely triforce since it shows up whenever she uses her sealing powers in Breath of the Wild. Apart from that it only shows up in design motifs. As far as Tears of the Kingdom, I don't recall it appearing at all when anybody uses any powers, but it does show up on Sonia's arm as part of her markings (without the rest of the Royal Crest, even). Nobody ever mentions it by name though so who knows.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Astro7x posted:

So does TotK have the ability to just speed run to the final boss like BOTW? Like what is the minimum you have to do to beat the game?

For any%, speedrunners currently beeline straight to the final boss right after dropping from the sky island. New strat involves no paraglider, but some duping is involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

if you feel exceptionally strongly about weapon durability you can glitch the infinite durability master sword out of the prologue and zuggle an assortment of rock-busting fuse items onto it if you're so inclined

Sadly, you cannot fuse stuff onto the infinite durability Master Sword without a separate glitch so it's not as convenient.