Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Genuinely feel like I'm the only one not hyped for this game. I feel like there's just too little known and for someone like me who's creatively bankrupt in games I'm just going to be 'ah, boulder and random thing, sure that's a weapon"

We still don't really know what the story even is, and it looks like there's only 2 cutscenes as far as we know. Haven't seen any NPC's, haven't seen anything dungeon like or could be seen as a setpiece... it's just kind of nothing all around. I don't need to know why the sky islands are around but I'd like to have a inkling as to why I'd want to even go up there for example, what it adds to the game, anything.

I dunno, I play Zelda for the puzzles and memorable dungeons/fights and characters (as well as the music) and after BotW stripped out most of that just to go 'big sandbox go!' I'm increasingly nervous that they stripped even more away to just be the same thing but with even less to make it stand out outside the goofy poo poo more creative people will make

E: I want to like Zelda again. Hyrule Warriors of all things even redeemed a lot of the BotW cast to me by giving them actual personalities. Am I going to have to wait for another spinoff to actually care about the setting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Super No Vacancy posted:

really lolling at "there's only 2 cutscenes as far as we know."

Stuff like this reminds me of "relax BotW will have more story and cutscenes lmao they didn't show everything'' and then the game came out and welp "It's not about the story/cutscenes look you can get killed holding metal in a storm who wants story lol"

People in this thread are being very weird about what amounts to mild concerns lol. I don't think anyone has talked about the franchise being dead or whatever, and 'just play the old games' is such a poo poo write off in almost any situation. Like my brother in christ what do you think people have been doing. Why do you think remakes sell or people want Wind Waker HD or Majora's Mask or whatever old games still. Why is it bad to hope the franchise at least includes *some* of the older stuff instead of just being a big ol empty sandbox again.

I have the drat game preordered and it's not like I want TotK to fail, I'm just concerned with how much they haven't shown and how some of the trailers are basically just the same thing over and over again. When Xenoblade 2 and 3 got announced in random nintendo directs they had like, 20 minutes of cutscene and gameplay. What was shown yesterday felt like one of those snippets but even shorter.

E: I do wonder on topic of the game if there's a sound cue for stuff falling as I don't really pan the camera up unless given a reason so I'd be worried of random moon tear rocks just bonking me on the head or me just outright missing them. Maybe I just didn't notice but did the rock sparkle or anything when Link got to it to like, highlight that was the right thing?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't want a media blowout that's whatever, personally I just want to know what the direction is. Pre-BOTW we knew we'd be ultimately looking for the robo-beasts but in this one we don't really know why link has his weird arm or what the actual goal is other than 'where's zeld' and 'jerky ganondorf is around'

Zore posted:

BotW has a ton of story and cutscenes though? Its just mostly optional.

Pretty sure it has more overall minutes of cutscenes than Twilight Princess though, and definitely beats out like OoT or MM. Also every DLC and WoC leaned into shoving in a bunch more story and cutscenes.

I skipped the DLC as I walked out of BotW pretty let down (That and most posts at the time of launch were pretty sour on them being low effort or something). I loved the opening opening area but outside that it was just missing a lot of what I liked. Hyrule Warriors actually endeared me to the characters and the world though and it's Calamity Ganon design ruled

And the only scenes I really remember is stuff around the opening, some of links memories and Sidon. I don't remember the gorons name and Teba I don't recall if he had more than a few lines and thaats about it for me really

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 29, 2023

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

incorporeal posted:

Maybe the game will have 3 cutscenes

Blessed be this day

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If there is a auto food button to push to heal I wonder if that means you'll be barred from pausing mid combat as that was kiiind of a huge pacebreaker, not to mention having 10 million full heals at hand at any given time was certainly a choice in the first game

That and I kinda wonder how it'll pick what Link eats given the +3 to fire res type things attached to them

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, if we are going underground or if there are underground sections I hope we get to see Master Kohga again; he was a fun character.

Or we meet Master Kohga who is somehow the same exact body shape, voice and personality

I want wild poo poo where Age of Calamity is canon and that's somehow why things are breaking in weird ways. Also it'll be funny to see people get mad again that the Champions are back to being alive.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

...Are there even korok puzzles in this game?

If they're just lil dudes walking around this time makes me wonder

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw a few posts now saying caves are back in a big way and I wanted to ask where was that confirmed outside one of the two cutscenes being in one

Not really saying it's impossible but the only caves I remember were little holes with a shrine in them in 1 and I don't recall seeing anything about them in 2

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough! Just didn't notice the cave markers so here's to hoping there's some interesting stuff in em'.

Really as cool as fuse is I really want treasures to be worthwhile and not 'you fought really hard here's a flame sword that breaks in 2 hits that you can find elsewhere' type of stuff. Especially with fuse around really.
Kind of the issue I had with Skyward Sword sidequests just giving you fruit gummies to trade in- just not as exciting even if it ultimately ends in the better reward.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The best cutscene is in Age of Calamity where some of the guardians are chatting and the camera pans to Link and a bunch of soldiers literally just eating rocks and hooting and hollering about it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Khanstant posted:

I remember taking a break after one of those long unstoppable cutscenes of Link using the toilet and taking a shower to craft brownie bombs and coming back to find Link dead, no idea what killed me. Permadrath off the table for me because of that sort of thing.

What s a unstoppable cutscene

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The final trailer is the third cutscene

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I do hope the final boss of totk is more than just 'large pig that stands still and dies' though, joking aside

AoC had a pretty cool one moveset wise and it owns they let you gently caress around with it post game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

that's the new subtitle

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It looks like more gameplay than just gluing two sticks together wtf is this nintendo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They realized they forgot to give Teba a character so his new stand out attribute is that he's loving dead.

Also red noodle hair tapestry lookin guy was there I think? Unless that was just dorf' before getting a hair cut.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's a shot that looks like Zelda opening a dungeon and I'm just 'do it already move her like a playable character do it'

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Did Kass die

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

you find kass in the 4th cutscene

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Teba remembers meeting Revali in the spinoff and has decided to give up after having the illusion shattered.

Though asking, have we seen a stamina wheel? I didn't like it at all in BotW and looking at links goofy rear end moon jumps and wondering if that got removed or if it was just hidden for trailer purposes.
Honestly that's my biggest concern with the sky stuff is loving up and falling and having to find the way back up and having to do stuff all over again. I'm not entirely sure what they'd do to alleviate that outside putting a killbox under certain places so you respawn like the Sky Temple in Twilight, or being able to rewind yourself like a emulator

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DalaranJ posted:

Replaced completely by the battery gauge. Link is now a cyborg.

This just makes me think of the future concept art

And him with a guitar

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope treehouse doesn't gently caress up Links character this time around. Remember that being a thing in BotW and I don't know why they didn't want Link to have a personality

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zore posted:

Eh, it might or might not have been Link but they definitely made the mission log drier and removed a lot of the fluff from it even if it was supposed to be an omniscient narrator.

If it was overblown then my b. I just like reading little tidbits of personality building and the like and was kinda bummed at the time as I assumed it was like the piklopedia in world building

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

wait are thunderstorms back

can i give my forces metal items and watch them run in and get zapped

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I fell asleep on my couch today and my cat Sunny climbed onto my side and took a nap too

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

For all the care about zelda lore it's still genuinely really funny that Kirby has a more easy to understand timeline with far more direct connections main game to main game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What's going on on youtube? I saw that pointcrow is getting killed by nintendo for his BotW content and apparently others are too?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RatHat posted:

It’s his mod videos that are getting taken down I think. It’s just Nintendo being Nintendo again

Recent video he said that his normal gameplay stuff is getting taken down too, as well as other channels I guess that never touched mods.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

press A to Yah!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wonder if there's going to be guardians in TotK or something like em. They're so iconic and not having wandering hell units would be a bit odd

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Remind me but WW Ganondorf was kinda not interested in hurting anyone right? I don't remember his whole speech but I faintly recall him looking at Link and being like 'man I'm not gonna kill you or anything I'm just going to yoink the power to give my Hyrule a second chance.' and only snapping when the King Instant Transmissioned over to the triforce first

I kinda wonder what it would have been like if he succeeded and really did keep his word of not really being interested in hurting anyone.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I never finished spirit tracks

I hated almost everything about it except for Zelda and I got to them introducing the one hit kill trains. I tried to back away from one but it switched into my lane and got me because backing up is 10x slower and I lost a lot of progress. Just wasn't worth finishing that quest so new hyrule got ran over or whatever that plot was.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I kinda wonder if Daruk/Revali/Urbosa/Mipha will show up at all even if it's just force ghosts

Not a big deal if they don't all things considered but with how beloved they are kinda surprised if they don't get at least some mention. Also in the trailer when link is moon jumping between platforms you can see a gigantic hole in the ground with Malice oozing out, wonder if you can still rush this games final boss and that's the target to aim for.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zore posted:

Its unlikely. They might get a mention or minor visual shoutout but we know at least Revali's VA didn't get asked back for TotK and there's no bad blood or scandals there.

Didnt he voice the deku tree to?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Teba having his Faith broken by Revali in AoC was hilarious, but Yunobo gets a special shout out for showing up to save Daruk and Daruk instead getting a second win because of course he has to save Yunobo

E: I never went back to check but does Teba heal after you clear the dungeon/game? He did get blasted

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The more I think about 'it can't be time travel in botw' the funnier it gets considering Age of Calamity is Right There

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bringing in the Zapping system from resident evil

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wanted to ask if the DLC did much for the Rito in BotW

I remember Zora's domain being fleshed out, woven into the story pretty well and Mipha was treated with this heavy sense of gravity. Urbosa and the Gerudo too and Gorons had there moment but all I remember of the Rito is just 'hi we all live on this tree here's Teba he got shot okay bye thanks for visiting"

Like I don't recall much being done with them or their part of the game standing out much outside the divine beast flying. Even AoC I only really remember Rito warriors being in the stage where you get Revali at the very start.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Does Tunic count as a 3D zelda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Age of Calamity answered why he doesn't actually talk

Man may have chased a fish but he is full of rocks. His internal organs are more goron than Hylian