Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

There's also "rock from sky becomes free elevator up". That one is my main Rewind use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

So after roaming the land and doing most of the shrines I'm finally investigating some Regional Phenomena. For my first two, I did the Rito Village and the Zora village. The reward for the first is pretty helpful, but I'm struggling to see much use for the second. Tulin can extend my air travel time, which comes in handy everywhere! And he seems to get critical shots on a fairly frequent basis. I can even ignore weak enemies like chuchus and let him take care of them. Sidon, on the other hand... doesn't seem to fight unless I very deliberately ignore an enemy strong enough to survive a couple of Tulin's arrow volleys, and I've not spotted anything to do with the water shot. Am I not thinking creatively enough (or not finding the relevant spots) to make use of him? Just a yes/no to "is there something I'm missing" is fine if detailing his uses would spoil something else.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Ah, thanks. I totally forgot about that; I’d only seen one weapon of that type, from a side quest I did for a villager like twelve play hours ago. I try to read the weapon traits since some of them are pretty good, but I’m not sure I ever noticed that one in the first place.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Am I the only one who finds the boss Queen Gibdos a huge pain to fight? It really feels like just a big “gently caress you if you didn’t buy the sand movement boots”, everything is just a little too fast to dodge, especially in phase 2. And I really don’t feel like going to grind out a thousand rupees as a prerequisite to this fight.

I also really wish the range on Riju’s lightning was centered on Link. It feels like I don’t fully control whether the boss is in range or not, and it already likes to hover away at the very edge of a viable shot.

Is there some kind of a trick to this?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

No Wave posted:

Ignore Riju and hit queenie with your own source of lightning like an electro chu jelly.

I struggled through it before I ended up reading this, but this is definitely the advice I could've used. I got super fed up with waiting for the lightning range to extend, and then having to start over because by the time it grows the queen moves. I'll keep it in mind for the re-fights! (because goddamnit I just realized I forgot to take a snapshot)

Didn't realize a light beam caused damage, either, so I totally whiffed on using the light shafts. No idea why watching the babies walk into it and melt didn't make me think "well maybe this hurts the queen????" :doh:

Thanks!

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 9, 2023

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Man, saving Lurelin was one of the first things I did. It was kinda fun to sneak around and murk the enemies one by one despite still having the base 4 hearts. Climbing up places and dropping things on them, baiting the boss bokoblin into throwing his buddies into the ocean. Also was a good trial by fire on flurry rushing.

e: but I get the impression there's more to the questline there besides just wiping the pirates and building the houses again. (Don't spoil me on it though; I'll find the rest eventually)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I'm gonna guess Jeopardy.

Also, I appreciate this game's permissive approach to sequence breaking. I just finished with the (not-quite-end stuff) Fifth Sage quest. Except I did it almost entirely by accident. I'd found the Spirit Temple a while ago just being thorough about the Depths, and had gotten fed up trying to guess what I had to do to make it open, so I decided to gently caress off, hop a fanplane and see what's in that big storm. Ended up finding the Minimum Hearts Required door, and curiosity finally made me break my stubborn refusal to buy heart containers. (I'd filled my third stamina wheel then just accumulated 72 Lights, and was mostly enjoying playing the "just never get hit lol" version of combat that made healing and armor upgrade materials farming pleasantly irrelevant.) That obviously got me into the temple, etc. I looked up how you're supposed to do the quest later, and apparently learning about the island in the storm is the payoff for the whole Ring Ruins thing? Maybe I'll go back to Karariko and see how weird the dialogue is now that Link is just constantly like "yeah, I know" to everything we learn.

By the way, can the storm be cleared? I'd like to go back and search around more for treasure and stuff, but the ultra-low visibility is super annoying. Makes it hard to tell how many islets there even are, let alone whether I've hit them all.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Ganondorf might be able to shrug off one measly bomb to the face, but can he shrug off ALL of the bombs?

*Proceeds to obliterate the Demon Kings health bar with nothing but a 5-shot Savage Bow and a shitload of Bomb Flowers*

If you go back to Kakariko after dealing with Sus Zelda, you can tell the survey team members that they basically got punked and there's no reason to keep the floating ruin locked off anymore. This sets off a questline that ends with you activating a device that turns off the storm - if you're doing things the "correct" way, this is also a giant flaming sign that those islands are where you need to go to finish off the 5th sage stuff.

Hey, that approach works on real life tanks, so v:v:v Eat tandem warheads, loser!

And thanks! I'll go back and talk to them. I'm glad I don't have to clean up the rest of that island steering by sensor alone. Although full Miner Gear and a variety of sensor targets made it shockingly non-impossible.

Also, now that you tell me this, there's either a weird choice or small bug when you stumble on it like me: when you first get the mask and open the lower doors to follow the beam, the weather is perfectly clear, and then it sort of remembers it was supposed to be stormy if you try to go up and look around to see what was revealed.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Well, I finally found where I can trade in bubbulgems. At the end of the game, with enough to just dump them all on the table and buy everything. Loving the hair on this hat, though.

I suppose I'll see how many more I can rustle up while finishing the shrines, but is the result of getting all of them cool/useful/funny enough to consider consulting a guide to grab the remainder? I would accept extremely an weird cut scene even if there's no equipment prize.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Runcible Cat posted:

You can get medals for it.

what? I think I missed this side quest entirely.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Cojawfee posted:

In lookout landing, there is a person who tells you about three world mini bosses. Once you kill them, he tells you about others and gives medals I think.

God I had no idea how much I'd missed in Lookout Landing. I went there, got the paraglider and the camera, and then hosed off forever. I only learned about the ancient tablets quest and the respec statue from the Game Grumps videos. And then I found that whole massive cavern with its own armor set plus a stalnox to fight, and still there's this whole other quest person I hadn't noticed. I also didn't find Hestu there until like 50 hours into the game. Gonna have to go back there and really thoroughly speak to everyone.

Also, speaking of the ancient tablets quest: early on I noticed the little flower shaped islands and marked them all (so I'd remember which ones I touched and made the tablets fall to earth), so that was quick and easy. But the one above Lookout Landing, which presumably dropped the tablet that starts the quest, doesn't appear to exist. I put a pin on it, and can't spot the pin at all. I flew to where it's supposed to be, and can't reach or spot anything. Is that a map island that just isn't real?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Was the giant magical mystery cloud surrounding the entire forest not a clue that something is probably going on there, and maybe you should try to get in somehow?

Honestly, I spent almost the whole game thinking that was there just because gently caress it, it's the lost woods, I probably need to know that I go west south east south or whatever the gently caress magic sequence. I messed around with it some early on, found I couldn't do anything, got tired of spooky noise saying you cant' walk that way, and then didn't come back until the Koroks start pestering you to go up there, which I think is a nearly endgame change. I'd already picked up the sword and never played BotW so I didn't know about that association anyway (or that the cloud is purpler this game).

Also, it never occurred to me that it's possible to have a challenge finding the light dragon. It shows up when you trigger the fresh new dragon's tear post-geoglyph, right? I just immediately teleported to an island above that tear and dropped down, easy-peasy. And I wore the Ravio hat during the cutscene, which was objectively correct, though I would also accept the korok mask or one of kilton's lovely disguises. But I guess if you didn't ever go to that island then you're a bit screwed and have to hunt around. I just got weirdly obsessed with hunting around the sky and depths, and had the depths map nearly complete for except the fiery bits before I touched a temple. Actually I neglected the service and looking at the hero's path there's still empty parts I've just never been to or near, despite having all the shrines marked by finding the light roots beneath.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Is there a good quick way to get rupees? I built a house thinking I could find another piece of flamebreaker armor somewhere, and apparently I cannot (is that my failure, or there isn't one in a chest?) and must buy it for $lots. I know you can hunt wizzrobes and sell gems, but faster than walking around the world to find them one at a time would be nice.

By the way, is it just me or do prices in this game seem to assume you do a lot of farming? I've played for like 50-odd hours and the only armor set I can afford to upgrade to level 2 is the mining set. Never mind the 200 rupees/part labor fee for level 3. It makes me feel like I'm missing something obvious or haven't played the intended way. Or is collecting and upgrading lots of the armor basically expected to be only for insane people who have nothing but time to kill the two Captain 3 drones in Typhlo and then sit around waiting for a blood moon?

e:

excellent snipe

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Did not know about the flint eater! I've always used fire fruits (or the fire temple reward) to light fires on the rare occasions it's needed, so I've got plenty of flint to try my luck with. Turning poes into money via armor is a good idea as well. Hopefully those should carry me through, especially since I don't really feel the need to buy most armor if I'm realistically never going to be able to upgrade it. I'll slog through getting the Fierce Deity set up a couple levels (or not and go the "just don't get hit lol" route) and that'll be my adventure in armor upgrades.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Murdstone posted:

Oh yeah ok I thought I might have missed something.

I was just being vague in preference to spoiler bars, although now that the game's been out a while I might be almost the only one left in the thread who hasn't finished it already.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also, the scene in the trailer where Link joins a bunch of people fighting the monsters in front of the last stand gates near that stable hasn't happened, even though I've kicked said monster's asses... is that coming later?

The spoilered side quest happened for me when I was just wandering around that area on the side coming from central Hyrule. Look for a group of people, one mounted. You might also find a couple tents and one person with a fire and a cooking pot, who will tell you which direction to look.

Assuming I'm correctly understanding what you mean by "the last stand gates" that is. I didn't see the trailer you're talking about.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Never played BOTW, but I don't think I'm thinking of the right place as there's no cabin.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I explored so much of the world through the method of "glide from the highest-altitude sky island" that I already had both an awareness of exactly where to start to get to high-altitude goals, the shrine available to teleport there immediately, and other tools to get around in the sky.

But it's possible the target already altitude lowers some when you reach end game, because I had reached the point where the Main Story Quest is just "go kill the boss".

Has anyone tried getting the Sword without doing any prerequisite quests? Like on a second playthrough when you know exactly where it is, can you just fly out there and grab it?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

No Wave posted:

Was it the fake zelda who told everyone to explore caves naked? But it turns out she didn't actually say that?

I just recently found the two guys who decided that even though it was a misunderstanding they're going to train in underpants fighting forever. They rule.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I tried out the Satori armor that you get from Kilton's brother to see what the whole "takes rupees instead of hearts when you get hit" thing was like and when a silver bokoblin nailed me with a club it took over 250 rupees and lol nope.

It really looks cool though, I dyed mine navy blue

Yeah, the price of protection is so high that it amounts to "just don't get hit" at which point I may as well wear a fun mobility armor or something. But it really does look awesome and I wear it around towns or when I'm searching safe-ish areas.

e: also to retract my prior complaints about scarce rupees, the issue was with my believing I could eventually get everything upgraded, so I'd been hoarding gems. Sold half my hoard to the Gerudo trader and now I have like 10K so let that be a lesson: don't bother upgrading most of your armor and definitely sell the stuff you don't need for your chosen set(s).

And yes, even with that many rupees, 250 per hit is too pricey to wear the satori armor into a fight.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 28, 2023

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Muddle buds are great because you can just toss one on the strongest enemy and let him wipe all the weaker ones. There are hardly any enemies that are a threat completely alone, because you can just knock them over with a claymore and then bully them in a corner until they die. It's so easy it makes me feel kinda bad.

but also yeah I agree enemies have way too much health. If I have a high damage (60+ is my threshold here; I guess mock me if that's actually terrible) weapon then I feel like things shouldn't survive a second flurry rush. It makes fighting things feel like a waste of weapons and I feel guiltily inefficient when I do fighting myself instead of kiting enemies through the sages until they make the kill, which takes forever because, again, way too much health.

I wish bombs did more damage. It feels cool and fun to dump TNT barrels or bomb arrows into a camp, but it seems to barely tickle enemies above blue.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Holy poo poo sneak is 8x damage? I always treated puffshrooms like basically amber you can find on the ground (also a 10 rupee sell price) but I might start using them.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

It definitely doesn't loose durability when fighting Phantom Ganon, because I fought the whole crowd of those that shows up in Hyrule Castle and it never ran out of energy but if I recall right it did against a temple boss once.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Mustached Demon posted:

Nice, satisfying ending too. Minus link losing his shirt.

:hmmyes: I went out of my way to create the dumbest loving outfit in Hyrule, and I deserve to see my dopey looking motherfucker rescue Zelda. My one and only "Boo, gently caress you, game" of Tears of the Kingdom.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

While searching for the last shrines I found 2 tiiiiiny spots in the underworld that are not light up- which is baffling because I've activated all the lightroots as far as I can tell? I have to go check them out.

It gives you a little prize when you get all the lightroots, so if you didn't get a pop-up thing saying so, you don't have all the lightroots. And the last couple have a pretty small dark area (the radii overlap and the map is revealed if any of them are activated). So I suspect that you actually have two lightroots remaining.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Cheesus posted:

Yeah, the whole thing of breaking weapons before they appear in the depths in pristine condition was lost on me until after I reached all lightroots and apparently each of the guardians too. I've got new travelers swords and spears for days, folks.

Based on what I can reconstruct, I got the royal claymore from Hyrule castle, fused it with a Lynel horn and ever since have fighting and healing it with the octoroks.

I also don't understand why it's in pristine condition. I initially chalked it up to healing it with octoroks like 20 times. But I spent time trying to take another damaged weapon and healing it to see if I can get it to pristine that way and apparently not?

I played this entire game and had no idea you could heal a weapon. How does this work?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

The thing that really got me about ToTK builds is that the strong enemies could just roar at them and vaporize them. Like, I’d love to sit around and dream up a tank that can fight a dragon, but it just erases constructs in a single move. So do the lynels. I think discovering that was the only time I really got mad at the game.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

The Hylian Shield, I assume they meant

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

God I hope so. I want to dive straight off the start island and somehow drop attack onto a boss bokoblin from 10,000 feet up

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Might have to go do some science, and see whether it's a normal attack, or if the pig man is instantaneously obliterated.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Any time I did anything important I made sure to put on the Cece hat first.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It's set on the grand plateau but I forget exactly what kicks it off

I think you have to talk to the bargainer statue at the great mine underground first, then go to that little temple on the Great Plateau

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

isn't the main reward for the whole bubbelfrog thing an armor set that will make you bleed rupees instead of lose hearts? sounds like a waste of time unless you're really into watching kolton turn into a goblin or whatever.

I really did expect something weird to happen when you provided him with all the bubbulgems in the world. it absolutely didn’t, it’s another Nintendo troll for completionists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

MorningMoon posted:

I was really hoping you could basically have a 1-3 horse stable at your house that didn't have to obey the preconceived notions of what horses are from the horse mafia.

Yeah I was genuinely disappointed I couldn't put the weird stuff you can ride into stables. I want a stable full of bears and skeletons!