Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

can't believe this game is only like a month and a half away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the problem with nuts and bolts was that it was a racing game and not a “loving around exploring with your cool gadgets” game. the missions were really bad.

like I actually remember when the vehicles were revealed thinking it was a really cool idea to expand the scope of exploration but then I was let down when the game was mainly focused on really dull and repetitive time trials

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 29, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Stuff like this reminds me of "relax BotW will have more story and cutscenes lmao they didn't show everything'' and then the game came out and welp "It's not about the story/cutscenes look you can get killed holding metal in a storm who wants story lol"

we didn’t even know that the game had a building mechanic until a day ago. chill.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the thing is that the “emptiness” of BoTW isn’t uniform, some parts of the map are much more densely-packed with points of interest than others. Central Hyrule field is wide open and relatively empty because it’s the central space for riding around on your horse and the lack of cover makes it challenging to get past the guardians if you try to make a beeline to Ganon. Gerudo Desert is a Desert. But if you look at, like, the Hebra Mountains, Zora’s Domain, and Faron parts of the map, they’re pretty packed with stuff to find and do. Each part of the map pretty much has its own rhythm and character.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RVWinkle posted:

Regarding the map layout, it's consistent with several games in the series. I don't remember all the maps from all of the games but death mountain to the north, desert southwest, and fish bros to the east is similar to LttP and Zelda 1.

iirc early in development korok forest was also in roughly the same place where it was in OoT but they moved it to the north at some point

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Super No Vacancy posted:

i still dont think they shouldve named the seeds after bobby kotick

I mean, they are turds

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

focusing on the number of things per square mile kinda misses the point, part of what I and a lot of people found refreshing about botw is that it wasn't a game like this:

botw has lots of space to let the world breathe and let you spot landmarks off in the distance, it lets exploration happen naturally instead of jiggling a dozen different keys in front of your face constantly.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

between the vehicles and being able to no-clip through ceilings I think they might be trying to streamline navigation in a way that cuts down on the amount of time players spend repeating world traversal that they already did in BoTW. Like, you don't need to manually climb all the way up dueling peaks all over again, you can just use rewind on a falling rock or make a helicopter using nothing but paper clips and some duct tape.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just make it so that getting yellow hearts doesn’t automatically fill your red hearts. Like with soul hearts in Binding of Isaac.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fish Appreciator posted:

If it's just BotW with more sandbox stuff and some sky islands to explore, but a less interesting story

???

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the cave-shaped markers on the map are actually just goatses

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if reusing the map means "we were able to layer an entire game's worth of new stuff on top of it" then i am totally fine with them reusing the map.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Lol what is this from?

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

Hyrule Castle literally has a dungeon in the basement.

not all dungeons are torture dungeons! I think!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nintendo is being extremely coy about what’s new so any judgement call on the amount and quality of content at this point is pure guesswork.

I just used a voucher to get the game (along with Kirby RtDL Deluxe)

edit: fwiw here’s what ceo bowser had to say about it

quote:

“We look at what the game has to offer. I think fans will find this is an incredibly full, deeply immersive experience. The price point reflects the type of experience that fans can expect when it comes to playing this particular game. This isn’t a price point that we’ll necessarily have on all our titles. It’s actually a fairly common pricing model either here or in Europe or other parts of the world, where the pricing may vary depending on the game itself.”
:shrug:

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 1, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Thr difference of course being that in the trailers for literally 100% of games I've ever seen, it's been all new material, where large swaths of these trailers are "yep, that's Hyrule Field alright."

you ever hear of a game called Yakuza?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

In that case it should be entire outfits. Wearing anti-flame pants and some other chest/headpiece isn't going to be any more effective than not wearing them.

not true at all, individual pieces of gear in BoTW give you bonuses, not just the full sets. there are many areas in botw where you only need one piece of gear with heat/cold resistance and then you can use the other two slots on whatever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw a few posts now saying caves are back in a big way and I wanted to ask where was that confirmed outside one of the two cutscenes being in one

Not really saying it's impossible but the only caves I remember were little holes with a shrine in them in 1 and I don't recall seeing anything about them in 2

in the gameplay video there were map icons that indicate caves, some of which have checkmarks on them. aonuma goes into the entrance of a cave to show off the ascend ability and you can see on the minimap that, yep, this cave is marked on the map by one of those icons, and you can briefly glimpse a path going further into the cave

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 3, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LividLiquid posted:

In the very first scene of the game, they'll fully explain how he came back, but people will still make a meme about how it was never explained.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mario 2 invalidated itself :colbert:

wrong

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mario 2 ftmfw

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that was the noise I made after playing Mario Bros 2 yes

I too screamed “Mario 2 ftmfw” at the top of my lungs after playing Mario 2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zelden Ring

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm sorry, but I think that's insane. Name one feature of Skyrim which was actually genuinely novel.

it found a way to make dragons boring

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MokBa posted:

I'm not watching any of those "THINGS YOU MISSED" videos because 1. clickbait for idiots and 2. I don't want them spoiling stuff I'm too stupid to notice. I never miss anything

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i could see myself doing a no fast travel run but only doing the divine beasts and just enough other stuff that I feel prepared for Ganon, would definitely not do all the shrines or sidequests. stuff like tarry town or that one blood moon shrine would be annoying without fast travel imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there will be meltdowns when this game comes out regardless of what the game is like.
there are still meltdowns about the first one

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zelda’s dead

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

goethe.cx posted:

the cowards at nintendo should bring back Midna

good news: midna is back

and also dead

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ridley is usually not the final boss of Metroid games

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Can you do all the QOL stuff with none of the randomization with Ship of Harkinian?

I'd be willing to try that out

yeah you can, the randomizer isn't the main feature

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There’s a pretty good pc version of Zelda II someone made which has great QOL improvements and some extra content

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LividLiquid posted:

What are they? Literally none of them are on their website, save a higher framerate. One feature listed out of gods know how many. I have no idea what this mod does or why I should care. What a terrible website for something so many clearly worked so hard on.

I mean, the main feature is just “being OoT recompiled on the PC”
aside from that, theres a ton of QOL and customization options. Higher resolutions. 30 fps and 60fps toggles. D-pad item shortcuts. Sped up text. Modern camera controls. Gyro controls.Customizable tunic, Navi, and HUD colors. difficulty modifiers, etc. The randomizer is a setting you can toggle on or off

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this gonna be good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

ive moved from an apartment to a house and am on my fourth cohabitation situation since botw came out.
my original roommate said he’d stay for at least a year and then moved out with his girlfriend after four months and now we don’t talk anymore at all when we used to be best friends.
the second guy asked if he could get a dog, I said sure, just get something that won’t gently caress up my brand new carpet and will be good around my cats. then he proceeded to adopt an abused pit bull from an Indian reservation, loudly walked it at 6 am waking me up every morning without fail and refusing to alter his routine after I asked politely. the dog did not work out with my cats and he moved away after four months. we were also good friends and don’t talk anymore.

at that point my girlfriend moved in. we’d been together for three years at that point. after a year we were both extremely unhappy. she moved back into her parents house at the urging of a psychic. I don’t talk to her anymore either except to drunkenly text her to tell her she looks exactly like the girl from phantom of the opera.

now another woman has moved in, I thought the plan was to be in a relationship but apparently now that her room is set up and I’ve lovingly lowballed rent she wants to wait to be with me and go to therapy first. I’m sure that will go great.

I’m not really in the mood for another Zelda.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that was an insanely good trailer

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

"Link, you must find me" she should find herself :colbert:

like, spiritually?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHGShqcAHlQ&t=133s

link glues a shield to his sword and then uses it to parry an enemy :lol:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i didn't think zelda would be playable tbqh but now I'd say I'm 50/50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Icedude posted:

So that's the pit out back of the Yiga Hideout that Kohga falls into, right?

it doesn't really look anything like what we can see of the pit in BoTW