Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Anyone have any good Zelda podcast recommendations?

I watch Zeltik's vids on YouTube and really enjoy the balance of them between gameplay and lore discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

lih posted:

i think it'll be for more than just cooking, seeing as how integral stuff like fusing materials seems to be etc.

in botw dpad up was used to select runes though, so they've moved changing abilities to somewhere else

One thing I REALLY hope they add, after seeing the vid:

The ability to pre-craft things in bulk & store in inventory.

Watching him have to keep crafting keese arrows on the fly made the gameplay flow a bit jarring.

Really hope it's not like, if I fuse a stick and boulder, then put it away, then I put the stick away and the boulder falls off, etc. Although I guess otherwise, the inventory screen could get massive.

Hmm. Will be interesting to see how they handle anyway!

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

RareAcumen posted:

Can't believe they reused the map. Standard game development is to scrap all code and tear down your office and start fresh. No reusing code, hire new employees, nothing from the last game carries over

With all the cave stuff, I thought they were going to take the base geometry of the map and flip it both horizontally & vertically. So instead of Hebra Mountain in the north west, it would be Hebra Crater in the south east, etc.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
I'll admit to having been a bit worried about the reused map, UNTIL I started watching https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy0sOa5_nRO6EC8VKIMALQ1BTfl_FiZLA previously linked in this thread, the minimalist 100% run-through.

I was shocked at how many areas I didn't recognize, in spite of my completing all 120 shrines. Maybe it's just coming at areas from a different angle, but certain minigames I'd never seen, tons of Korok areas I'd never seen, etc.

Combined w the fact that the map is so gorgeous, and I've not played since before lockdown, means I'll be enjoying with fresh eyes. Can't wait!

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

Khanstant posted:

I think realizing Marin and everyone else was gone might've been the first time I teared up at a game. In my heart Marin is the one for Link, and even though I know there are infinite Links, ai still have him just roll past all the Zelda's and rutos and malons of the worlds. Link's soulmate is just a dream, probably why Ganon can never stay sealed. Link is missing the middle of the triforce because the fish woke up.

I know you took a bit of flack for this post, but 100% agree.

As a massive fan of the games, I must say...😬Zelda herself wasnt a compelling character until OoT, and even since then she's been fairly one-note up until BotW. She's very "driven by destiny" and doesn't get to make her own decisions. Even in stories where she's given a bit more like WW, she still generally ends up as a damsel in distress. It always feels like, she NEEDS to be around Link, as it's her destiny.

One of the many reasons LA is my favourite Zelda of all time, is how with so many limitation, they still made it feel like Marin at least had a mind and a life of her own. I know much more about what Marin wants out of life than I did about Zelda, at least up until that point. She helps out her dad. Loves to sing and entertain the townsfolk. Dreams of seeing the bigger world outside the island. Travels to the Animal Village and makes them all feel good. And actually WANTS to hang out with Link and help out. Zelda's all melancholy, "I will do what I must to save the world", whereas Marin's all "the walrus is asleep and you can't get past? Well then let's go wake him up!". She actually has agency, which is annoyingly rare in characters like her. I feel like Zelda is Links coworker, whereas Marin feels like a real beginning to a happy romantic relationship.

Which is why the ending hits so hard 🥲🥲🥲

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

"Hey, we need a character for our new Zelda Game."

"How about a dude with the personality of Falco and the exact appearance of also Falco?"

😆😆😆 I definitely felt the same the first time I met him. Like, they couldn't have given that personality to the goron or something?

Is there precedent in Japanese culture for birds being arrogant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

SyRauk posted:

God drat, we're really 3 weeks out from a new Zelda game? I have so much PTO saved up I'm definitely going to take that Friday and Monday off.

My uncle's just written to remind me that we're meant to drive up to stay the weekend with them from the 12th - 15th 😭

And then the next weekend I have a friend coming to stay I haven't seen in 10 years

But the weekend of the 27th...oh baby!