Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Augus posted:

LOD (level of detail) is a feature all games use where the game switches a model out for a simpler, lo-res version when you move the camera away from it. A model can have multiple LODs for medium distance and medium detail, far distance and low detail, super-far distance and super-low detail, etc.

I always like that trick especially on older games where they're not even starting with really complex models. I think distant Mario in Mario 64 is probably one of the more famous ones.

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Matrix 5 UE demo on PC was a really great demonstration of LoD. If you go from flying around the city and then suddenly to the ground up to someone's face, you can watch them turn from a mario64 face, to a golden eye face, to a metal gear solid 3 face, into a mass effect face, and then finally loading in a modern almost 3d scanned looking realistic face with fancy hair and all that new jazz.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always like that trick especially on older games where they're not even starting with really complex models. I think distant Mario in Mario 64 is probably one of the more famous ones.

:ohdear:

yeah N64-era models are fun to look at because the games had to strike such a precarious balance in order to run at all.
In basically every game that Mario appeared in on the 64 he has a completely different look because of the different technical demands of each one.

^ if you tried to drop this model into Super Smash Bros 64 and had it fighting 3 other identical Marios the cartridge would shoot up out of your N64 at escape velocity and leave a perfectly cartridge-shaped hole in the roof

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Augus posted:

bringing back Like-Likes feels like it’d be a no-brainer since shields and weapons are already expendable

I think we saw one in a trailer.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Procrastine posted:

iirc it's the "switch shield" button when you have a bow drawn

Cheers (and thanks to everyone else). I walked and climbed across about half the map today, twatting bad guys with spears and finding shrines and koroks. Great game.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Khanstant posted:

The Matrix 5 UE demo on PC was a really great demonstration of LoD. If you go from flying around the city and then suddenly to the ground up to someone's face, you can watch them turn from a mario64 face, to a golden eye face, to a metal gear solid 3 face, into a mass effect face, and then finally loading in a modern almost 3d scanned looking realistic face with fancy hair and all that new jazz.

That's surprising to hear about, but I guess in any game where you can move around a large environment so fast that's inevitable. I recently loaded up Cyberpunk again to check out their path tracing update and it showed how inconsistent LoD placement can be. The game was always a mess technically, but when you're driving through a tunnel you can have light shine through the roof because it's loading slightly different LoD sections as you draw near them. It was astonishing to me they were still using 2D car sprites when you zoomed in on roads in the distance.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To be fair I was running the UE5 demo on a 3080 PC and it was basically only optimized really for consoles. And high detail humans have sooo much stuff you don't need to look convincing from a distance when their entire head is a quarter of the size of a forum avatar on screen. The Mario 64 lods look appropriate at the distances intended. It's just going straight up their nostrils suddenly from a distance you got to see the evolution of LoD unfold.

And the cyberpunk distance lights being 2d cards was funny mostly bc it looks good while running around and mostly sticks out because the 2d cards I ply a shitload more cards than there ever are on the streets, especially out in the boonies. You'd see a dozen lights in the distance all seemingly headed towards you but only encounter 1 car if you're lucky. If they had synced the bg cards with spawning a real car eventually tmitd be a better effect.

I was playing or saw some old final fantasy or something recently and they had a spot where the far distance was buildings and lights reflecting on the water and I was impressed how good the illusion was from the angles they intend you to see. It's like matte paintings for videogames.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Augus posted:

bringing back Like-Likes feels like it’d be a no-brainer since shields and weapons are already expendable

I feel the exact opposite, actually? I think a core aspect of the Like-Like experience is, as a new player, wandering up to one and being like "Hmm... I wonder what this thing do- did you just eat me? Did you just eat my shield?? You can do that?? You can't do that, that's illegal!"

Y'know, the way it's a thing that nothing else can do to you.

An enemy that can destroy your equipment, in BotW? That's every enemy, baby. "Oh no, what am I going to do," I say, reaching into my pack for one of the six other identical shields I'm carrying.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

Also Din, Nayru and Farore are supercomputers and Hyrule is a simulation or something

Zelda revealed as happening in the Xenoblade universe.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Would explain some things

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Antonymous posted:

Totk needs those squirrel people who throw boomerangs

I too want a Zelda game set in the Redwall universe

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I feel the exact opposite, actually? I think a core aspect of the Like-Like experience is, as a new player, wandering up to one and being like "Hmm... I wonder what this thing do- did you just eat me? Did you just eat my shield?? You can do that?? You can't do that, that's illegal!"

Y'know, the way it's a thing that nothing else can do to you.

An enemy that can destroy your equipment, in BotW? That's every enemy, baby. "Oh no, what am I going to do," I say, reaching into my pack for one of the six other identical shields I'm carrying.

You're right - they should eat your pants

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, does this mean Link is somehow going to impregnate Fi

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Ytlaya posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYE0FgV0co

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wait, does this mean Link is somehow going to impregnate Fi

Somehow? Buddy, my fanfiction portfolio has you covered if you jus--

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Asterite34 posted:

Also Din, Nayru and Farore are supercomputers and Hyrule is a simulation or something

I shared this in the last thread but it seemed relevant to bring up again

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The xenoblade crossover in botw was very dumb. BOTW shouldn’t have marketing bs shoved into it for a bad game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We know link's hats are alive and his Napster sword, but what else does he use that has a soul? Do we get a game where his tunic talks all the time or his boots scream in pain as you walk, will it also let us get small for minish action?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Junpei posted:

I shared this in the last thread but it seemed relevant to bring up again

I've been thinking about this same idea recently, except for MegaMan Battle Network. I feel like Cyberpunk 2077s bullet time stuff could be hacked into a psuedo card based dueling game. Make the dangerous sleazy place only weirdoes use avatars to jack in to, the real world nice until janky virus plots unfold, people's toaster launching deadly toast because ToastedMan.exe is fuckin around in there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Khanstant posted:

We know link's hats are alive and his Napster sword, but what else does he use that has a soul? Do we get a game where his tunic talks all the time or his boots scream in pain as you walk, will it also let us get small for minish action?

You must work to keep up the morale and dedication of your bomb collection, so they're willing to sacrifice themselves to further your goals

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beve Stuscemi posted:

BOTW shouldn’t have marketing bs shoved into it for a bad game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I feel like internally Skyward sword might've been one of their most beloved. Or maybe just think that bc Hyrule Historia volume 1 was like 85% skyward sword lore and art and interviews and they seemed really pleased with it on all levels. I wanted more freaky majora stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Khanstant posted:

I feel like internally Skyward sword might've been one of their most beloved. Or maybe just think that bc Hyrule Historia volume 1 was like 85% skyward sword lore and art and interviews and they seemed really pleased with it on all levels. I wanted more freaky majora stuff.

that's probably because hyrule historia was publish a month after skyward sword came out

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
age of calamity update: between revali and teba i don't know why the rest of the army even bothers showing up. war is for the birds

teba is a one-man carpet bombing operation, sure, but revali cracks weak point gauges better than anyone. Y5X, stasis, cancel out of arrow rain, take flight, Y4X, mash until broken. though teba keeps up with him in that respect too, since his stasis field takes seven days and seven nights to wear off

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Botw replay: I realize now when this game wants to be slow it is absolute molasses.

Great for vibes, but tower climbs aren't fun

Edit: I knew it was slow when I first played it, but I was in a point back then where I had the luxury of free time not to be bothered too much.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
New JP TV spot, there's a bit of new footage for TotK (but it's not fully focused on it, since it's also advertisting Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and Splatoon 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02W3RX7hHP8

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
God drat, we're really 3 weeks out from a new Zelda game? I have so much PTO saved up I'm definitely going to take that Friday and Monday off.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SyRauk posted:

God drat, we're really 3 weeks out from a new Zelda game? I have so much PTO saved up I'm definitely going to take that Friday and Monday off.

Oh I take it you're not a fan? I'm working overtime so I can come home to my Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom knowing it can live the comfortable life I want to provide.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I’m using PTO and I am going to be setting an alarm to start playing it the moment I can. Three straight days of nothing but Zelda and coffee while I take several years off my life.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The xenoblade crossover in botw was very dumb. BOTW shouldn’t have marketing bs shoved into it for a bad game

Xenoblade 2 was a pretty good game, except the designers decided to make the excellent combat system be awful instead for the first 40% of the story, as a joke

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blaziken386 posted:

counterpoint: arachnophobia and insect-phobia can trigger even on cartoony insects and i have a personal vendetta against developers who put them in games when they cant think of anything more interesting

I feel for you, really I do, but insects are pretty interesting. I'm glad that more games are having options to disable spiders but I wouldn't want to live in a world where bugs aren't allowed to exist in media anymore

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hogama posted:

New JP TV spot, there's a bit of new footage for TotK (but it's not fully focused on it, since it's also advertisting Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and Splatoon 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02W3RX7hHP8

Alright Link, give 'em the kabob.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Crossovers are good when i like the property and bad when i dislike the property

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Alxprit posted:

I feel for you, really I do, but insects are pretty interesting. I'm glad that more games are having options to disable spiders but I wouldn't want to live in a world where bugs aren't allowed to exist in media anymore
bugs can exist in horror games and games that go "here is something specifically about bugs", i just dont like it when games go "hey, you know what this world needs? giant spider : )" at the 12 hour mark. LOOKING AT YOU, DARK SOULS 2.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm not scared of spiders because, one-on-one, I would win a fist fight with most of them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The xenoblade crossover content is going to be weird when retro gamers of the future play botw (on secret emulators hidden from the Nintendo kill-teams)

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Blaziken386 posted:

bugs can exist in horror games and games that go "here is something specifically about bugs", i just dont like it when games go "hey, you know what this world needs? giant spider : )" at the 12 hour mark. LOOKING AT YOU, DARK SOULS 2.

When I was a young teen playing TP on my Wii I had my brother do the Forest Temple because the tarantulas gave me literal nightmares

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Haha, I did not do well with the last bit of Bloodborne, at all.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Age of Calamity is fun so far. Impa MVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What if Link was frenching a living talking ocarina like skeeters muppet head?