Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
1) Combat in this game is a lot more fun and chaotic because of all of the weapons. It also seems like it's easier to die from any given encounter. I haven't stacked like a million hearts, but it's not like I'm walking around with 3, and it still seems like I'm dying more than I did in BOTW. It makes it feel like there are bigger stakes in the fight scenes.

2) I totally missed that the lookout landing is basically another round of tutorial with all the important quest nuggets- I feel like I spent so much time on sky island that I was ready to get out into the world, and I had unlocked all the towers and added two more loops to my stamina wheel before going back (I had to look up how to get heroes path) and learning that I could activate a shrine sensor. Lol.

3) I'm almost done with getting all the lightroots activated, but there are a few under the castle. Ive done 2 of the 4 regional phenomenon - if I try to go activate the lightroot that's close to/under the castle am I going to accidentally start the endgame stuff before I want to?

4) Wow this game owns.

5) Is there anything to do with crystalized charges after you've maxed out your battery packs? I keep finding things underground that lead to more and more v. large crystalized charges, which makes me wish I hadn't spent my zonaaite on them.

6) it seems like there are a million little side-quests in the game, some of them enormous and tedious, and it's hard to tell which ones might be really useful, or might just be 100 rupees.

Let me know if I should spoiler any of this. I've been trying not to read the thread - I haven't done a few of the more 'core' parts of the game/story portion yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Docjowles posted:

I’m impressed you got that deep into the game without doing lookout landing lol. I did the same thing striking out into the world immediately but pretty quickly decided that there is no way the game is supposed to be this punishing. Like when you activated a tower without the glider did you just faceplant and die? How did you get 2 full stamina wheels without the glider? I feel like I must be misunderstanding you.

Oh, I guess I did the glider quest and maybe started the one about the hyrule field chasm but after that I figured the area was clear.

Runcible Cat posted:

Dude who swaps them for batteries will swap for Zonai devices instead once you're maxed.

Thanks! I just fought the 3rd depths version of the air temple boss, so once I do other temples I guess there's another 900 crystal charges around to collect if I want to chase down all of those. Or so I'm assuming.

Is there some sort of lead/hint somewhere that explains the lost woods and why everyone in there is totally brain-dead? I don't necessarily need to know what//where it is, but just to know if there's some sort of bread crumb out in the world that might help me.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I'm at a sort-of tedious point in the game before I finish up the main quest, which is

1: finding that one drat lightroot that is left hiding somewhere on the map
2: Upgrading armor so I have something good to get through the main boss fight at the end.

I've already done: all 5 temples, following the tears to get to the sword, waking up the deku tree, and fighting puppet zelda at the castle in addition to of the great fairies and a bunch of the usual loving around and building stuff and wandering. I didn't ever unlock all 120 shrines in BOTW, I guess there's something about all the blank spots on the underworld map that A: bothered me enough to seek out and B: gave me a pretty good indicator of where they were.

So now I'm trying to upgrade the fierce diety armor and the champions tunic, so I'm going online to look up dragon routes and hinox/lynel locations and it's feeling like a bit of a drag. So maybe I'll take a break for a bit, abandon that goal, and then just go finish the game.

But it has been a ton of fun up until this point. That's a lot of gameplay before I started to feel any sort of boredom.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I just did that arena as in quest to get my fierce deity armor upgraded, and I think I've been underrating how much better any high level fights are when you have good armor on. I used that armor (attack upgrade) and an attack potion and it went pretty quickly. I agree that they are enemies that you have to punch a million times, but it seems like they don't do nearly as devastating attacks as when my clothing was weak. Same with facing boss enemies up top- when they're taking 5-6 hearts each hit then it becomes tedious, but with better armor it really cuts that number down quickly.

I was also coming off of a surface tour of lynel killing, so I was pretty tuned in on their attacks.

After all of it I only got 2 lynel guts, and that means I have one more to go before I can do my final armor upgrade.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I put one in to remind me of a great spot to harvest crabs for stamina and some to mark bits of quests I’d abandon. Do that thingy thing where you mark all topside shrine locations as stars on the underside map to guide myself to light roots. There’s a couple other use cases too. Here thar be night mares or something for a quest or here I need to find a way to ride a non horse animal for this old guy.

Buy shoes here, get a new hat, butter here, etc

I marked Gleeoks when I found them early game and couldn't fight them, and the sky islands that have fairies and useful cooking ingredients all get a cookpot on them so I know where to travel to when I need to replenish food. I started putting a skull and a sword on the platform for all of the underground temple boss re-fights so I knew not to re-trace my steps.

I think I made more markings on the map than in BOTW for sure.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

Other than getting to high ground, I still don't know how I'm supposed to deal with them. If I'm stuck on the same level as them I just leave the area and come back and try to find a way to get to a ledge before they notice me

I didn't know until it was mentioned here, and there's no intuitive way to figure it out, but when you get grabbed wiggling the joystick(s?) will break you out of the grasp, and then you can jump back and keep fighting. There's other tips and stuff that you might discover by creativity/ trial and error, but that one would not have occurred to me in a million years.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Is there a good source for gloom weapons besides just looking up a map of all the gloom hands and battling through them?

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I have no idea if I did the master sword out of sequence or what happens in the different order...

I went the route of getting all the tears from the geoglyphs, and then later went over to the forest. I figured something was up because of the braindead koroks and eventually figured out the hands. If you don't already have the sword by the time you show up, what is the sequence that happens when you show up to the forest?

Also, I realized there's a bit of mechanic-breaking with entering the forest when you have the upgraded flight armor. If you divebomb into where a shrine is (cause you can see them from above or know where the lightroot is) fast enough, you can activate the fast-travel spot before the fog transports you. And then you can travel back to that spot. I still don't know what the trick for navigating the fog is on surface level, but that route seemed to work fine for me. Same as BOTW?

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Murdstone posted:

I always forget I switched armor sets for some task to a lower defense-ranked armor and the next skirmish I get in I get hit hard.

I burned through one of my fairies because I took a quick 'grab some dragon parts' detour and jumped off, not realizing that I hadn't put my skydive suit on so I hit headfirst at terminal velocity wearing Zant's helm and the fierce deity armor.

Skydive suit is hella useful.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I've realized one of my main critiques of the game:

They wrote such a badass horn part of the main theme, and it only triggers in the game like... a couple of times, unless I'm mistaken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKLHDgbTD0k

I wish it cut to something like the theme at 0:35 or 1:39 like... as a tag to every boss fight when you finish it? When you unlock some main quest things? On the way down to fight Gannondorf at the end? Unless I'm mistaken and it's hidden in snippets in other places... they should have made way better use of it.

Colgera fight music is awesome and is such a good riff on the normal Rito music, the stable music is as perfectly peaceful as usual, the dragon theme(s) remain iconic... just more of that main theme.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, y'all, I have a favor to ask.

I hated this game so much I gave it up, but I want to give it another chance.

I did the tutorial area, explored a little, made my way to the Wind temple and beat it, and just gave up because I wasn't having any fun. The powers were so much worse than BotW.

Losing all of the tools I had -- the runes, especially -- really took the wind out of my sails and then the underground was just like Prime 2's Dark Aether, which also made me give that game up. No more durian was a big blow too.

Without story spoilers, can y'all just give me some challenge-ruining advice? How to farm rupees, the essential upgrades, where I should go, etc.? Because the alternative is just never playing it again, and I hate that idea.

None of these are plot spoilers, just general ideas. Other posters, let me know if you think I should spoil move anything behind the tags.

I used a tutorial to find the Fierce Deity Armor and put all my energy into upgrading that. The difference of playing with a strong armor and an unupgraded armor is huge. You have to start the great fairy quest line by becoming an employee of the newspaper, and then they all start at the stable that is nearest wherever the fairy has relocated to. After that you completing a bunch of little building tasks, and I had somehow missed the start point on it which is why I looked up a tutorial for it.

Autobuild is huge, once you get that it makes the crafting system make so much more sense.

As you explore the sky islands, you'll find some that are places to get good ingredients. There's a few that consistently have hearty bass, or hearty radishes, fast frogs, fairies, etc. Marking those on the map with the cookpot stamp was helpful for me, and then I could just pop back over to those places as needed.

Fusing things to weapons will increase their durability, so even if you're just adding some lowly +2 strength to it with a rock or whatever, you'll make the underlying sword last longer.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I've just restarted and decided I'm going to try to get through the quest (with all the main points) as quickly and efficiently as possible, which is absolutely not the approach I did last time. It'll be fun to balance out how many shrines to do, how much zonite to gather to actually make gadgets useful, etc.

Should be fun to try to run the game with a whole different perspective from last time.

I'm also trying to figure out how many of the great fairy fountains to unlock- I don't want to go into the final battle with armor only worth 2. I'm not that good at combat, but I guess that's one way to get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

maltesh posted:

Interesting. I was basically the opposite in Botw and ToTK. In BotW it took me some time after my first endgame to hunt down all the shrines. I definitely had to use guides to find a few of them

In ToTK my first attempt at Ganondorf was thwarted, I subsequently spent my playtime hunting down all the lightroots and all the shrines before going after him again. Didn't use a guide.

To be honest, I kind of regret hunting down all the lightroots. It turned the nightmarish dread of the subterranean realm into a generally unsaturated underworld with very few interesting quests
Did use a guide to hunt down the last well, though. I wasn't going to gridwalk all of Hyrule with the Purah Pad Sensor just to hunt it down.

I'm probably not going to go for all the monster medals. Too many monsters, not enough markers. I'm fine with the Gleeoks and the Moldugas.

I did a 2nd run of TOTK a few months ago, and I tried to just do the core components as quick as I could the regional disturbances, find the sword, get the 5th stage, castle battle, go kill Ganondorf, get enough armor and shrines along the way and it was fun. Because of that I hardly spent any time in the depths, and I fired it up recently to go tool around and explore and see what I see. There's something so fun about releasing a brightblooom seed arrow and not having any idea if it's going to hit the giant pillar-tree-root-thing 3 feet in front of you or go sailing off an enormous cliff. Paragliding and seeing a lightroot but then it just totally vanishes. is it a column? A big tree? is it behind a mine building? So much mystery!