Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

FINAL TRAILER

https://youtu.be/uHGShqcAHlQ

The long anticipated sequel to Breath of the Wild and 2023 GOTY The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will be released on May 12, 2023. Never in the history of video games have expectations ever been higher. Nintendo took six years to create an all new gaming experience, but will they deliver on the hype?

In the years since BotW, the gaming landscape began to change as other developers took inspiration from Nintendo's unique approach to open worlds. Some games were more direct ripoffs (Genshin Impact, Immortals Fenyx Rising). Others took their own unique games and reinvited them in invigorating new ways that took the best parts of BotW without losing their identity (Elden Ring}. And also there's Sonic Frontiers.

Our first look at BotW's sequel was in summer 2019 (nearly four years ago!). Princess Zelda and her courageous knight, Link, are seen exploring a cave when they come across a very familiar corpse. Then we see the very familiar sight of Hyrule Castle, but it rises from the ground!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fr1Z07AV00

It wasn't for another two years that we would get a brief look at the gameplay. Link's got wild new hair and is hanging out up in the sky! Looks like Zelda is trying its hand at Skyward Sword again but doing it right this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-MRZBP91I

They promised us a 2022 release date but I don't think any of us really held our breath. The only thing we got in 2022 was a full trailer as well as a title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNF4M_v7wc

(That's "tears" as in crying, not "tears" like in fabric.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZuiFDQwQw

The most recent trailer is the first time we saw anything related to the story since the initial teaser, with a mysterious voice commanding his minions to be evil and whatnot. The gameplay all looked very similar to BotW but with some expansion on the world and enemies.

With only a few weeks until release, Nintendo finally graced us with ten minutes of gameplay, introducing a brand new set of mechanics that are part Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and part Scribblenauts, with a very healthy dose of Garry's Mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6qna-ZCbxA

WHAT'S THE SAME?

As mentioned, Hyrule is back. It appears to be, generally speaking, the same overworld. Volcano to the north, desert to the west, jungle to the east, etc. The series has never done this before, with each new game having its own unique overworld.

Weapon durability is also back, much to many people's chagrin. I don't think any topic of discussion garnered anywhere near the level of debate as weapon durability. But would it truly be a BotW sequel without it?

WHAT'S DIFFERENT?

Thankfully, Hyrule appears to be greatly expanded, though not in the way you might initially think. The game has become significantly more vertical, with floating islands in the sky that can be accessed a number of ways. Right now, we know that we can create machines that could reach them, as well as having the ability to reverse the time of falling objects and riding them up to the sky. (It is unknown whether the "Ascend" ability will allow us up to those heights.) We don't know much about these islands, except that have some kind of attachment to the ancient Zonai race. What creatures and materials and worlds await us in the sky? Will Groose be up there?

The initial teaser showed our heroes in a cave, and Aonuma made references to caves in the latest gameplay video. So it is likely that Hyrule will have more underground content as well. Speculation currently is that this could be related to dungeons or to the story overall, but little has been shown in this regard.

Instead of a Sheikah Slate, Link's new abilities are tied to his hosed up arm. So far what we know are Fuse (the ability to graft materials and weapons together), Ultrahand (the ability to pick up larger objects and combine them into vehicles and other machinery), Ascend (the ability to float into a ceiling and warp through it to the surface), and Recall (the ability to send an item "back in time"). The first two abilities promise us a near limitless series of combinations and are likely why the game has taken so long. The last is a method of traversal unlike any other in the series' history and will likely contribute to the game's new sense of extreme verticality. The last one has mostly been shown to allow Link to ride objects into the sky, but we also saw him use it on a rolling boulder to attack enemies. It's unknown whether the original Sheikah Slate abilities are going to return (Ultrahand appears to make Magnesis redundant, for one). But these three alone promise us a huge world of versatility and a shitload of fun.

WHAT WE DON'T KNOW

We still know essentially nothing about the story. Link and Zelda awaken a corpse that appears to belong to Ganondorf. And the ancient Zonai people play a large part in the plot and world as well. Beyond that, the game could go anywhere. Given the open world nature of the game, it is unlikely that the story will progress in any kind of linear fashion. We also don't even know if classic dungeons are due to return or if we're just in store for dozens of smaller ones again. Nintendo knows that the game will be a bestseller either way, so they haven't been releasing much information. We'll likely get a much larger release trailer before release, but I hope we're all in for a lot of surprises come May.

If you'd like to be spoiled on characters, costumes, and items, the artbook has been leaked and can be easily found online. But even that doesn't give any hints about the story. I gave it a quick perusal and it was more like a very big game manual than an in-depth look. But still, read at your own risk.

now let's get hyped the gently caress up.

Past threads:
Let's talk about the Legend of Zelda
Zelda Megathread: I found a timeline under the table
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Raise your sword the highest you can
Zelda Megathread: Buying Nintendo consoles for one game since 2001
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Megathread

MokBa fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

goethe.cx posted:

this mf said Breathe of the Wild

you can't prove that

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Great detailed OP! I just wanna say we do know the fourth ability, it's Recall. They use it early in the trailer to rewind a fallen object to ride it back up in the sky. Finally, a Tenet game.

Oh duh!! I'll fix that in the OP. Thanks!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

Zelda Megathread: Deku Nuts & Bolts

Forgot to credit Asterite34 with the thread title. “Can you fuse the dog” and “FUUUUUUSE me, Princess” were very close runnerups as well.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Someone’s going to invent something loving around in TotK that will end up changing the world

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Chronojam posted:

I can't believe the old thread ran out of durability finally

It was by far the longest a Zelda megathread ever lasted. Truly the Hylian Shield of Zelda threads, but even a Hylian Shield can break eventually.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 29, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Saxophone posted:

Ok but I want to post about how the sky is falling on my favorite video game series I don’t like.

okay then just use Recall ??? Problem solved

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

...I'm impressed with everyone's restraint that I haven't heard an "Ultrahandjob" joke yet

Trust me I seriously considered this when choosing a thread title

Vikar Jerome posted:

when link is falling in sky in the demo, the ascend icon is greyed out but soon as he hits and goes under the water, the icon is green again but when he surfaces it goes gray... could it be... COULD IT BE

proper underwater exploration and you use the ascend to get back to the surface quickly?

Now this is the kind of analysis this thread should be about

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

My main fear is that I end up just making the same things over and over to solve problems. Scribblenauts had that problem where you’d end up just summoning the same objects all the time. I’m assuming the very long development time was so they could test out the ridiculous number of combinations.

Can’t we just fast forward the next six weeks cuz I’m tired of waiting.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

What's the word on amiibo support? Sames as BOTW? Aside from the unique glider from the new Link amiibo of course.

There are definitely multiple gliders you can get from Amiibos but that’s all that’s been revealed. I imagine it’ll be similar overall but who knows!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

https://youtu.be/Kbwl62fiO88

Reward should be a literal low poly Arwing that follows you around like Wolf Link.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Winifred Madgers posted:

I keep meaning to ask this, but should I know what the Zonai are? I admit I didn't finish Twilight Princess and I still haven't gotten to Skyward Sword even in the remake, so have I missed something in there because everybody else seems to know what's up.

I don't think they were any previous games but there are a bunch of Zonai ruins in BotW, mostly around the jungle area. They seem to have kind of a Mayan Aztec Mesoamerican vibe and also like dragons.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 30, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Honestly when the second teaser dropped and I saw a YouTuber talking about Zonai stuff this is what I thought they meant. Seemed like a deep cut but I was down for it. Even though I loving hate those guys and their trading quest though.

I’d love if they brought back more races. Tokay and Subrosians could lend themselves to some very cool designs in 3D. They even went and made brand new species for Skyward Sword that already feel memory holed.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I hope Ganon pieces himself back together like in the Mummy. But he’s getting his parts from regular Hylian citizens and ends up looking like a generic NPC.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Gwely Mernans posted:

I bet there's going to be a lot of secret little areas high into the sky, far below ground and potentially to the sides of the map that you need ascend, descend, and clever gliding to reach. I have a feeling they were inspired a lot by Elden Ring in terms of map scale and using it to inspire awe through warps etc.

As much as I'd love for Elden Ring to have inspired this game, it only came out a year ago. I guarantee you this game was almost totally complete a year ago and everything since has been bug testing and refining. But I do hope the map has been expanded outwards as well, just to give us more surprises.

I was really worried when the first teaser showed Hyrule all over again, but everything since has been reassuring. They've remixed and expanded a lot and are looking for a new way to surprise the player besides "what vista is over that hill?"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/aquatic_ambi/status/1641144388159160320?s=46&t=WLc0GyyG56Ptvk5fGt4GyA

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Khanstant posted:

We already know the story because there is only one story worth telling, and that's of a special guy who had a lot to learn about managing friendship when youre a nomad with your 12 best friends, dealing with bullies, saving weddings, and ultimately sacrificing himself for every sin along the way.
If you want to spoil the story now, I encourage you to look up this special man and read his story and what he's personally done for your salvation: Tingle

okay khanstant after this post I'm now in your corner

We're all expecting caves so that's the one thing where I really hope we haven't all built a collective fantasy over

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I mean the trailer earlier this year showed a massive underground cave with stalactites on the ceiling and enemies mining and stuff

Yeah but what if it’s just like, one cave. Personally I want to discover a completely new layer of exploration right under Hyrule. Or at least I’m hoping some of the dungeons are a throwback to the original game and are underground.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I’m just on this cave thing because my number one complaint about BotW was the lack of caves. Any time I came across a cave in that game, I got so excited. But they were usually just like one little room with a shrine in it. I want to have to get out a torch and really go spelunking, ya know? My favorite bits of Twilight Princess were those random couple caves in Hyrule because it showed the promise of something interesting and surprising.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I think I picked up the bass when I was 13 because Japas was just so cool

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The map is the same. There are only three new caves total. There are seven sky islands that just have one puzzle each. Ultrahand and Fuse only work in like, ten different combos. And two cutscenes.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I'm Homer Simpson.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Thr difference of course being that in the trailers for literally 100% of games I've ever seen, it's been all new material, where large swaths of these trailers are "yep, that's Hyrule Field alright."

Well if the game comes out and it turns out they didn't change or expand the map very much, then you'll get to feel so much satisfaction in your numerous complaints being justified.

Like yeah, I get it. A lot of the magic from BotW was the surprise of exploring the map in all its variety. Nintendo could have pulled that trick again by giving us a new world to explore. Maybe we'd get some new abilities and maybe some more classic dungeons as well! I wouldn't complain about getting more of the same because BotW was great.

But Nintendo likes to zag when everyone else would zig. By staying in Hyrule, it looks like they're pushing their ideas to the breaking point. We already know that the new abilities are going to make this a very different experience than BotW. But they're also using the old map as a base which means they essentially have a decade of game development on this one game.

Hyrule in BotW had a lot of dense parts and a lot of big empty spaces that were just fun to ride around in. And even though it had a high range of elevations (which is a lot of the fun), it wasn't very vertical in the fact that generally there wasn't anything directly above or below you. Which is more or less how the natural world works — there's usually not a cave below you and very rarely is there an island floating in the sky above you. And BotW was a love letter to the Earth's many natural landscapes.

In TotK, we know for a fact that now there's a LOT above us. It might not be the same amount of square footage as the Hyrule map but it looks like it's going to be a significant chunk of new places to explore. And we know that caves are coming back in a big way. I doubt there's going to be a huge underground labyrinth that extends throughout the game, but it's likely that we'll be able to go inside a lot of the mountains and uncover all sorts of new surprises. Suddenly Hyrule has three levels instead of just one. On top of that, I'm sure the regular old map is going to have a ton of changes. Maybe we go back in time or maybe a lot of new buildings have been constructed, but from what we've seen in the videos there is a lot of new content on the old map.

If they had done the regular approach of creating a new map, the amount of content in the game would be much smaller. Instead they're building on what came before and giving us the biggest, densest BotW sequel that's possible. And I'm very down for it.

Plus the post-credit scene in BotW is about Zelda and Link working to restore Hyrule, and I want to see that followed up on!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah I did my second playthrough with zero fast travel and it was wonderful. I might try it on my first one this time around.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

then he made me pay 20 rupees for blowing a hole in his cave (not a euphemism)

If they bring this mechanic back then it’s automatic GOAT and also this will be the thread title

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

One time I knocked the orb on top of the island into the ocean and it was quite the struggle to get it back up.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I hated the cutscenes in BotW where Link ate some hosed up berries and just shat himself in the wilderness for 3 days.

Into the breath of the wild

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I don't see why I should get multiple lives in video games when I only get one in the real world. That's just not very realistic.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

As true as all of this is, anyone who claims that Skyrim isn't one of the best games ever made is kidding themself. Players at pretty much any skill level can be having a dope fantasy adventure within five minutes, and you don't need to carefully craft your build since the game just automatically just levels up the playstyle you naturally go with. It's intuitive, accessible, and cool, and there's a reason it single-handedly defined what gaming is to this day.

I've started Skyrim three times and quit because the combat is hot garbage. It doesn't help that I tried to get into it at the same time as Dark Souls, the superior game.

quiggy posted:

new thread title imo

sorry but I don't want people to constantly be comparing Zelda to such trash

I don't like Skyrim, can you tell

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I'm not watching any of those "THINGS YOU MISSED" videos because 1. clickbait for idiots and 2. I don't want them spoiling stuff I'm too stupid to notice.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

4. Daruk's Protection
3. Mipha's Grace
2. Urbosa's Rage
1. Revali's Gale

This list is objectively correct

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I just saw the Mario movie and there was maybe one Zelds reference in it. (Biggish spoilers) Mario's dad is totally based on Talon/Tarin from OoT/LP, who — as we know — is based on Mario.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Trial of the Sword isn't too hard overall. I think the second batch is the most difficult, especially the first few floors. I'd recommend cooking a 30 minute attack up recipe and turning your sensor on to search for Treasure Chests.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

maltesh posted:

Rock-Hard Food is still a quarter heart. If you're sufficiently desperate, you can bomb trees, and cook the lumber if you find a cookpot.

Lol this is why the thread title was about eating trees for like a full year

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Why do they keep releasing trailers and doing Nintendo directs literally the hour my work day starts? Now I'm gonna be awkwardly watching on my phone while pretending to work.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

In the six years since BotW I have sat quietly in the dark, waiting for the sequel. Soon I will awake from my slumber.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

I just wanna make meat arrows so bad.

The only thing stopping you is your own cowardice

edit: oh you mean in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Ganon isn’t a cat. He’s a pig. Link should be able to pick him up and toss him into the ocean.