Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

E: In case you did not read the thread title, this is a Spoiler laden thread. If you have not seen the movie, please back away slowly.

I hit a 7:10 showing after a 12 hour day and a 2 hour drive home and I didn't get to sleep until 1AM because my adrenaline wouldn't come down.

I'll probably still use spoilers for a couple of days just in case anyone accidentally clicks in here to save them from themselves.

I'll agree that some of the fight scenes (OF WHICH THERE WERE PLENTIFUL HOLY CRAP) were video game boss stuff, but I almost think that was the point? My buddy leaned over during the overhead house brawl and the shotgun power up were almost straight out of Contra.

The diversity of scenes, lighting, sound, creative weapon use, etc definitely did not make it seem like a 3 hour movie but good god I was exhausted at the end.

Lots of people getting hit by cars. Lots of people getting their dicks ripped out by one very good girl. John killing 30 guys in increasingly creative ways with nunchucks and a pistol combination. Heavily armored grunts getting shot in the throat. Samurai swords. BLOWING UP THE CONTINENTAL. Sahara->New York->Osaka->Berlin->Paris. A 20 MINUTE LONG FIGHT SCENE AROUND THE ARC DE TRIOMPHE. The blind guy from Rogue One just wrecking shop. Koji's daughter!!!! The entire Osaka fight scene. An overly agile big boi. Bill Skarsgard just being the perfect "Arrogant Bastard". The return of Clancy Brown!? (I seriously spent the last 12 hours knowing that I recognized his voice from somewhere). I thought they could have explained the Mr. Nobody Tracker bit a little more (is he some sort of precog? That's at least what I'm going with).

And I told my buddy that I wasn't going to read too much into the end. If its done, its done, and I'll be happy that we got what we got. If they do 5, then I'll be happy for that too, because at a minimum, it would not appears these guys have run out of ideas.

For those that haven't seen it, Good Hunting. Find a very comfy chair and the best popcorn money can buy and hold on to your butts (lol).

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There will be a 5, it's going to be like Fast and Furious where the cast and crew are just enjoying themselves too much not to ride the unlimited funding train.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

pasting my post from the CD thread on JW4 here:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

As this is my first time reading a JW thread on these Something Awful forums, I’m sure I am the first goon to appreciate how Charon’s role as the Concierge is analogous to the eponymous character in Greek mythology acting as the boatman between the living and the dead.

loving loved the movie. Every set piece action sequence was awesome, the casting was perfect, and the soundtrack was banging. If I had any complaints, it would be that it felt like it ran long, but asking me what I would cut out is like asking me which limb I’d rather have amputated. Also it felt kind of video game-y at times (you took the boss’s health down, but now he buffed himself with his inhaler and you have to chase him to the next location!) but they were still fun as hell to watch.

I also kind of feel like Wick’s death was anticlimactic and therefore I have a hard time believing he’s actually dead, but if they were to end Reeves’ role in the franchise here, I could be ok with that.

Few more thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQEoevHhhbU This track is the one that plays during the Berlin night club scene with Killa, and is now up there with "Brothers in Arms" from the Fury Road OST in terms of "amp the gently caress out of myself before a workout" music. This is gonna be a Day 1 EP buy for me.

Regarding whether Wick survived or not- I noticed that the places he was shot (upper arm, collarbone graze, and lower left abdomen) are exactly the areas where the Doctor who helped him in JW3 asked to be shot to make it look like Wick forced him to treat his wounds. If the filmmakers and Reeves want Wick to be dead-dead, I'm cool with that, but bringing him back for a 5th would now be more plausible.

loving rad movie. Can't wait to see it again.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Movies with Mikey on Youtube introduced me to the whole John Wick Universe = Greek Mythology allegory. That was after JW1. I'm sure he did a follow up.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just came back from the cinema, loving awesome. Keanu wooden acting was saved by the dub which was surprisingly on point compared to the average action movie. The hotline miami shootout was loving awesome.

Edit: I've found the italian trailer, just to give an idea how Keanu Reeves sounds(far better) and also Bill Skarsgård(far worse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-E33mUItH0

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 1, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The first thing I wanted to do while watching the never-ending stair fight scene was go home and watch this

https://youtu.be/FgrDAelryUo

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
My fam left before the post credit scene and i got to come out and tell them there are no happy endings.

That was a happy ending, for me.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

My googling is failing me but apparently it pertains to Caine and Kojis Daughter, so please let me in on that.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
a violin plays beautifully in front of a museum, outdoors. caine is seen smiling broadly, clearly very happy, with a bouquet of purple flowers at the street curb. He makes his way towards the playing violin, moving through the crowd. The camera view pivots. One in the crowd, hoodie pulled low, moves towards the curb. Camera moves lower, viewing under the hood. Its kojis daughter. Camera pivots up and over her as she closes on caine, who is still smiling. Camera moves down and you see the gravity knife snap open in her hand at her side with him in touching distance.

End.

There are no happy endings in johns world

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Why did john let winston off so easy? Did i miss that?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

fresh_cheese posted:

Why did john let winston off so easy? Did i miss that?

The whole rules and consequences bit I imagine. I think it's implied that John knew Winston didn't have a choice in the matter.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So how I think they're setting up for 5

"Everybody" including the audience, but story wise the table, "witnessed" john wick being absolved by winning the duel and then dying on the stairs. Now he's off somewhere out of the way, recovering and living a quiet life, and everybody thinks hes dead. Then we get some A History of Violence thing to pull him back in.

My one criticism is that I feel like they could have cut about 20 minutes of fights, for a bunch of them it feels like they ran out of steam in the middle so the conclusion wasn't as satisfying. The stair gag was worth it though.

Also I do appreciate how its more and more evident with each movie that the universe is essentially playing in the ruleset of an open world RPG, where everybody has invisible health bars and attacks deal damage based on the character skills and the weapon, the actual bullet or blade not actually mattering.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Tap B at the correct moment to parry bullets with your suit jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

I liked the bit where they had the dragons breath rounds - always wanted to use those and was concerned theyd destroy my barrel.

Now i dont have to anymore because the real thing could never in a million years be as cool as that scene.