Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Full disclosure we honestly started playing this before finishing the post game of Yakuza 0 or Kiwami because we can't stop playing Yakuza games

This is the first one I haven't actually played, so going forward No spoilers for this game at all. Conversely, spoilers for 0 and Kiwami are okay considering the first episode is basically an entire recap of Kiwami.

:siren:Episodes!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 1 - Thanks Nishiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Kiwami 2 is great which Is all I'm gonna say as of now.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

drat it, no, I was counting on the sudden RE4R LP to slow you down on this so I had a hope of finishing at least Y3 before you got through like Y6.

Haruka's still an adorable kid and I wonder what gymnastics Kiryu must've had to go through to end up her guardian. Then again, he also came out of YK1 with friends like the Florist and probably could've spent part of his half-hour as the Fourth Chairman telling the clan to figure it out for him. Plus Japan's social services had a pretty bad track record of even... meaningfully existing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Adoption worker: "So it says here you were in jail for ten years for murder?"
Kiryu: "Here is ten million yen"
Adoption worker: "Understandable, have a nice day"

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Kiwami 1 is a showcase of why Kiryu's a good* guardian for Haruka. He beat her deadbeat dad in combat so by right he's her new dad anyway.

(*If you ignore all the gambling he did with her. And the underground fighting ring. And the diet of nothing but horrifying amounts of beef bowl. And the weird boyfriend/creepy uncle who sometimes ambushes and tries to stab him.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 2 - Don't Tell Your Mom

Honestly Yayoi's pretty much the only person here that I'm scared of

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Man. Just think. After all the bullshit of Y0 and 1, the Tojo Clan is having to turn to the Dojima family for stability and leadership anyway. The family's looking most likely to end up on top despite old, dead Sohei Dojima and his crap, not because of him. That must really stick in his craw in Hell.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It's extra funny as up until Y0's release we knew next to nothing about Sohei Dojima so he was barely a footnote in the series.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 3 - Brittany

It's Brittany bitch

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 31, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I forgot about the piss game. I genuinely was unburdened of knowledge of it. Why did you make me remember.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

disposablewords posted:

I forgot about the piss game. I genuinely was unburdened of knowledge of it. Why did you make me remember.

It's a novel little minigame and frankly from what I've seen of public bathrooms its not a bad idea.

People are animals and piss everywhere but in the urinal.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 4 - The Dragon Of Kansai

Man I need to start lifting

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I guess Poison Mistuo has never heard of a release form, huh?

Also, since the "strength" pose's glowing energy is clearly heat, has the series been holding out on some sort of Cute Energy mechanic? :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yakuza 6 has many flaws, the curse of being the first game on the new Dragon Engine, but its combat system is the best so seeing and using it in Kiwami 2 is just so nice.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 5 - Feel The Heat!

You know thinking on it, all my Omi beef was less about the actual Omi and more about Shimano being a big fuckin prick

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Those loving furniture dudes. Just utterly invincible, unfazed by even multiple katana slashes. It'd be kind of inspiring if it weren't so annoying.

also, "sofa deez nuts" was actually almost pretty good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 6 - The Dark Side of Don Quixote

Like, Sotenbori DOES genuinely look great now, but it also looks like places where I'd get a security tail if I walk around

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That shot is pure gold.

I'm really liking the Marie-Antoinette "If they don't have bread, let them eat caketakoyaki" poster behind Etsuko the 2nd.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 7 - Please Clasp

It's going to take me a little bit to get used to the fighting, I like it but it's very different from the last two games

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 8 - Little Beans

Look this is the whole LP alright

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 9 - Somebody's Going To Wild Jackson

I love the Dragon engine :allears:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Takamatsu doing the 5d chess mastermind bullshit we've come to expect from Yakuza I see.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
It seems kinda cruel to put a crane game in when you know your engine doesn't do physics well enough to handle bowling or pool.

Also...why did we bring Daigo again? The most helpful thing he's done is wheel away an ancient man.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Daigo's our lead man to become the Sixth Chairman, so he needs to be involved to make this part of his accomplishments as chairman. Or else it's just this "retired" chairman managing things.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah we sorta hosed up the Tojo clan badly enough that the only person fit to be interim chairman is the wife of a patriarch who's been dead for 11 years now. Daigo we really need you to step up buddy

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 10 - Airy, Vacant Voice

Oh no. Oh NO.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Yakuza 6 has many flaws, the curse of being the first game on the new Dragon Engine, but its combat system is the best so seeing and using it in Kiwami 2 is just so nice.

Strange part is, I'm playing Yakuza 6 as my first game in the series that I've gotten past the first few hours.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I think you guys walked by the local Sotenbori branch of Horny Jail at 3:04

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

:sickos:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The actual cabaret mini-game in 0 was fine, the interminable dialogue stuff not so much. But that's on the game itself, ridiculous gimmicks can only do so much.

This Yuki sounds exactly like Yakuza 0's Yuki. Doesn't look like she aged even a bit tho, must be the vinegar. Hope Etsuko makes a return too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 11 - Ron, Bitch

I legit have better luck against humans than Yakuza's mahjong AI

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The indicators in the middle show dora, which award bonus han if you have the next tile in your hand. (123456789 for simples, 1 being 9's dora. E-S-W-N for winds. White-Green-Red for dragons.)

In the event of a draw, the player(s), if any, that are tenpai or have declared riichi get a 1000 points from each of the players that haven't.

https://dainachiba.github.io/RiichiBooks/index.html is a solid primer on basic strategy and hand optimization. Playing against bots is... weird anyway, much weirder than playing humans, but it might help a bit.

Getting a maniac like Majima back on the team is the best thing you can do, nobody gets respect like a homicidal lunatic.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 14, 2023

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I love that attempting to remember the phrase "adverse possession" you remembered the legal terminology "adverse" and forgot the part that just literally means owning the thing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 12 - The Bouncer

The Bouncer

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 13 - Maybe I Should Check In With Komaki

Recycling a meme I made for Kiwami 1 because whew, Majima doesn't pull any punches for his first story fights huh

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kaoru's speculation about Serena makes me think again that Reina was in deep with the Tojo Clan (or at least the Kazama Family) as her backers. If as a brothel, then just in the way that the yakuza get into a lot of criminal enterprises in their territory - especially since it's drat near across the street from the old Kazama Family offices. If not, then it may have been an actual safehouse and that's why it's suitable for Kiryu to keep using it as such, and why it's been left "abandoned" but with the power still on. Or maybe both of these situations, with a former brothel being made into a safehouse!

Also, they're loving gentrifying Purgatory!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
He keeps his dainty hard hat on during the fight. Perfection. Also, "Safety First" is a lot coming from the guy waving a large knife around at all times.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
To be fair, we did give him that knife.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 14 - It's Mama!

I was right about Shellac :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 15 - Let's Party, Boys

Clan Creator is gonna wind up falling right into that Blitzball niche, isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

Clan Creator is gonna wind up falling right into that Blitzball niche, isn't it

Grace doesn't hate it nearly enough for that to be true. Maybe it'll slowly wear him down.

Also I will never stop laughing at the idea of a corporate anthem, which was a real thing in Japan. Dunno if it's still a thing there, but it was for a while at least.

And I just briefly saw "Essence of Butt Breaking" on the skills list there at the end. Kazuma Kiryu confirmed top!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)