Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Akratic Method posted:

Made my goddamn morning watching that fat guy saunter slowly toward you on the bridge to be immediately fed to the hungry river.

Dragon engine is such a treasure :allears:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 28 - Ow! Dragon Engine!

For instance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I think it's not a ferris wheel per se, but those like bulbous parts are pods that go around the structure on a belt such that it serves basically the same function.

edit: god AI sucks rear end. I couldn't find the name of this thing through regular google, so I tried their chatbot search and it perfectly described the ride I'm talking about, then gave me a name that according to image searches is wrong, along with five examples all of which were something entirely different.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 4, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 29 - She's Here!

:eyepop:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Now that's the devs making good decisions :perfect:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 30 - Hitler Moustache And A Combover

Welcome back to CLAW MACHINE CLAW MACHINE CLAW MACHINE YEAHHHH

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 31 - He's One Of Us

I'm surprised I haven't posted it here yet because seriously I love this video so much. It wouldn't even be the weirdest substory we've seen so far

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
There was the modelling for a totally not-gay magazine with Poison, the beefy dude in a speedo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 32 - Baby Kiryu

I thought the game was dragging a bit with this dumb Shogi busywork, but WOW things escalate real fast don't they :shepface:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I believe that substory about Kiryu in a BL game is a reference to his actual voice actor having worked on BL games too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 33 - Clean Sweep For The River

Osaka Castle is an actual landmark in real life, just felt like pointing that out

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Billiken was the shady cop who established the Styx coliseum/fighting ring, and Nishitani was his sorta adoptive son who whacked the guy who murdered Billiken's daughter after he got off with a slap on the wrist for being a minor in 0. The Metal Gear-rear end entrance to the old coliseum didn't hold a loving candle to the gold castle hidden in the real castle though.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
According to Wikipedia, a Billiken is apparently also a charm doll made by a woman in Missouri..but also it somehow spread to Alaska and Japan?

And is the mascot for Saint Louis University sports teams :shrug:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Oh the Osaka Castle section is one of the highlights of 2, that's for sure.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 33 - Clean Sweep For The River

Osaka Castle is an actual landmark in real life, just felt like pointing that out

Okay, but does the actual Osaka Castle have a mechanism that splits it in two to reveal a second Osaka Castle made entirely out of gold?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 34 - The First Thing You Ask For

As far as I'm aware, secret golden osaka castle is never mentioned again in the series :geno:

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Majima would never teach Haruka something as dangerous as how to shoot a gun!

He'd teach her how to knife fight and buy her a butterfly knife. And then give her a hard hat for her special field trip to Majima Construction.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
'Aunt Goromi taught me everything about anatomy, I even got to hold a man's heart while it was still beating. She's the best!'

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 35 - The Episode Where Dan Sucks At Virtual On

If there's a way to quickly turn aside from jumping, I sure as hell did not find it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 36 - The Episode Where Dan Sucks At Golf

Precision is not my strong suit

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Fuckin Google, I searched "softbank dad" because I wanted to see the cute doggy, and google's just like "yeah man Son Masayoshi has 2 kids".

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 37 - Really Bitter For A Ten Year Old

It's always golf or illegal gambling with this girl, christ

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
That was...a weird thing to require for the story. Couldn't they just have had us check in on Majima or something? (though I guess Haruka wouldn't be horribly keen on going to go hand out with her first kidnapper...)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 38 - Four Plates

Sometimes I just buy stuff while I'm poking around off screen :frog: It all looks so tasty

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
No wonder you like Kiryu & Haruka. Visiting all the restaurants with her in a quest to satiate her hunger would've been better than that weird-rear end talent agency stuff.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Just Winging It posted:

No wonder you like Kiryu & Haruka. Visiting all the restaurants with her in a quest to satiate her hunger would've been better than that weird-rear end talent agency stuff.

I'm chalking it up to PS2 era writing, but there's more than a few plot culdesacs that just kinda... don't resolve in this game

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 39 - I Love The Dragon Engine

Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anybody

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Ah, you found the best side quest.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
A hell of emotional whiplash from "Kiryu gets bear hugged by a yakuza adult baby" to "once again, someone has their parent [who they didnt know was their parent until five minutes ago] die in their arms at the Millennium Tower."

Also, no matter how hard the story tries to sell Kiryu and Sayama having romantic tension, I'm just not buying it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I will say, with Yumi it wasn't believable because she basically wasn't a character. With Kaoru it's like, lady, you can do better than this squatter

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
If you think about it, a highway is nothing but a river of asphalt, and it too hungers.

Also, the Florist quickly relocating before he becomes the next parent to die tragically in front of their child in the Milennium Tower.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 19, 2023

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Wait, what was that about Mr. Libido being a real person? :gonk:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I found Kiryu/Kaoru to have more romantic tension when playing it on my own, and not filtered through two wise-cracking gay men for thirty minutes every day or two. Kiryu treats her with way more respect and respectful concern than basically any other man in her life, he's got that whole "bad boy but not too bad" thing going on for her, and the standard story trope of going through poo poo together engendering strong feelings. It's not an amazing romance but it's believable in the moment.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 40 - That Bad, Huh?

I've never played an RTS with a controller okay leave me alone

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 41 - The Timer Didn't Stop, Dude

How many more bombs can they fit in this tower??

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So Akimoto is actually the guy you told to jump off the roof in Kiwami. He was going to jump because of all the debt he had spending money on Mizuki.

Here's how that substory plays out if you don't tell him to jump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IXBrX_XFCk

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The bits of absurdity sprinkled in make the series what it is. Of course Majima just defuses the bombs based on vibes and gets away with it, dream sequence aside.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

By the way, the villains of the Majima Construction storyline (the guys in the really long cutscene) are all famous Japanese wrestlers; I know in one of the later games they had the top guys (at the time) from New Japan Pro Wrestling make cameos as well, though I don't know how involved they were in minigames.

That was 6, when Haruka had a kid.

They were basically gang leaders for the new minigame "Clan creator" which was basically a reverse tower defense game.

So far I've played 6->0->Kiwami and just started Isshin.

After a bit I'll get this for my steam. But I freaking love this series.

Also, not gonna lie, but the fact that Kiryu is such a horny guy in general (see, phone joints and eventually chatting on camsites) I'm surprised they don't let him have another girlfriend given Yumi was such a non-character (I did like Reina, who at least brained Majima)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 42 - Abduction Alley

It's a Yakuza series staple that nobody makes good decisions

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Pretty sure Kiryu would have died if he hadn't accidentally dropped and broke the tape at that exact convenient moment.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 43 - Actually Him Again

Genuinely feel like Knifey Bootey and I would get along just fine if not for like, the whole massacre of his people you know what maybe that's just off the table actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza Kiwami 2 Episode 44 - A Real Man Oughta Be A Little Stupid

The best part of a yakuza game is when all the bad guys try to out Revolver Ocelot each other and it blows up in increasingly hilarious ways. I mean this completely sincerely