Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

drat it, no, I was counting on the sudden RE4R LP to slow you down on this so I had a hope of finishing at least Y3 before you got through like Y6.

Haruka's still an adorable kid and I wonder what gymnastics Kiryu must've had to go through to end up her guardian. Then again, he also came out of YK1 with friends like the Florist and probably could've spent part of his half-hour as the Fourth Chairman telling the clan to figure it out for him. Plus Japan's social services had a pretty bad track record of even... meaningfully existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Man. Just think. After all the bullshit of Y0 and 1, the Tojo Clan is having to turn to the Dojima family for stability and leadership anyway. The family's looking most likely to end up on top despite old, dead Sohei Dojima and his crap, not because of him. That must really stick in his craw in Hell.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I forgot about the piss game. I genuinely was unburdened of knowledge of it. Why did you make me remember.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Daigo's our lead man to become the Sixth Chairman, so he needs to be involved to make this part of his accomplishments as chairman. Or else it's just this "retired" chairman managing things.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kaoru's speculation about Serena makes me think again that Reina was in deep with the Tojo Clan (or at least the Kazama Family) as her backers. If as a brothel, then just in the way that the yakuza get into a lot of criminal enterprises in their territory - especially since it's drat near across the street from the old Kazama Family offices. If not, then it may have been an actual safehouse and that's why it's suitable for Kiryu to keep using it as such, and why it's been left "abandoned" but with the power still on. Or maybe both of these situations, with a former brothel being made into a safehouse!

Also, they're loving gentrifying Purgatory!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I never felt driven to go back to Clan Creator, so I didn't touch it after this introduction. Sorry, Majima, it turned out Foreman Kiryu really didn't want to make this his problem too! But as long as Dan's having fun with it, I'd be down with watching. I didn't meaningfully understand mahjong or blitzball either in earlier LPs but hey, Dan was enjoying and that makes him say the funny things.

Then again, suffering also makes him say the funny things.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oh, please, Dan, as if you weren't loving every second spent hanging out with Japanese Betty White.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kiryu, have you considered that maybe the Tojo aren't worth saving at this point... and instead you should focus your attention on taking the Omi apart piece by piece.

Probably by somehow becoming their next chairman for five minutes and putting a random rear end in a top hat in charge.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It's fair to say that Kiryu was like that at one point, but he's not really blind to that stuff now. His moral standards are actually pretty hosed, but they're there. He opens Yakuza 0 doing debt-collection for a loan shark, and in subsequent games is still occasionally doing that in side quests. He's cool with the smuggling, gambling, and lots of sex work. Protection rackets are just A Thing That Happens. So he accepts a lot of vice, and doesn't seem to have a problem with the "services" they provide as well. But you've got to hold up your end of the deal, and you take the consequences when they come. That's the culture and attitude he wants to promote in the Tojo given how he thought Terada would lead as Kazama's buddy, and how he clearly hopes Daigo will lead - if there's going to be crime, it may as well be organized.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yeah, when two of those people are Kiryu and Majima, who both have histories of just running through enemy strongholds feeding everyone their own kneecaps, my bet's still on the Tojo.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Apparently just ditched his family when he went underground because he was a wanted man.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I found Kiryu/Kaoru to have more romantic tension when playing it on my own, and not filtered through two wise-cracking gay men for thirty minutes every day or two. Kiryu treats her with way more respect and respectful concern than basically any other man in her life, he's got that whole "bad boy but not too bad" thing going on for her, and the standard story trope of going through poo poo together engendering strong feelings. It's not an amazing romance but it's believable in the moment.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Well, this helps put some perspective on why Majima has basically just hosed off from the Tojo Clan in the main game. Though I'll be a little disappointed if this doesn't end with him flipping that whole clan meeting room the double birds while yelling, "gently caress y'all, I'm out!"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

"When you use force to get your way, you are a dinosaur fighting fate. When I do it, it means I am super clever and canny!"

gently caress off, Ibuchi, I'm glad you're dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Danaru posted:

Hey speaking of which if any of you dorks want to be a character in the collection farming crew for the Etrian Odyssey LP we already recorded a session of, we need a Survivalist, a Dark Hunter, a Protector, an Alchemist, and a Medic, so let me know if you got a preferred portrait and also understand that your character will be subjected to the kind of bits we come up with. Names have a nine letter character limit. (Yes this too is an example of my complete lack of impulse control)

Making the casting call in here? Neat. I guess with the character limit it'd have to be Disposabl or something similar, but I would be happy as the sacrificial lamb Protector. I am ostensibly a dude but I do not give an actual drat about portraiture. (If you want a regular person name, I just recently finished a D&D campaign where I was a bodyguard-y fighter named Elwin.)