Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I'm calling the cops, they'll be here in 5-10 minutes!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
rough chuckles

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
goddamn

rule of funny wins once more

Shroom King
Sep 3, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Someone posted this in the cspam thread, havent had a chance to learn more about the source but seems to line up with what I've been posting about.

Back in the good old days, when you could take "3 martini lunches" workplace shootings were non-existent.

I think we need to bring back drinking on the job.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I wish more of these included baselines for all these factors among the rest of employees. Like, I guarantee every workplace shooter has pooped shortly before the shooting.

Yeah, when the graphic says that 13% of the shooters were medicated, that means nothing without knowing how many people are normally medicated. Otherwise we can conclude that 87% of the shooters were not medicated, so therefore people who are medicated would be less likely to be a shooter than those who are not.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm calling the cops, they'll be here in 5-10 minutes!

Update plz.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
Our workplace team is in Europe and I was explaining Run, Hide, Fight. I was explaining Fight, want to do, how to arm yourself and stack up on a door, etc, and they just got up and left the meeting. When I followed up afterwards, they said it too much mentally/ emotionally and generally described it as one of the most hosed up things they had ever seen.

I dunno really know the point of this story, but the whole thing kinda hosed with me. They have never had to worry about this type of stuff, mean while a shooting doesn’t register for me unless the body count is in double digits.
Like how hosed am I? Or Americans in general when we accept these things as routine?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
"accept" implies some meaningful say in the matter

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Cease to Hope posted:

"accept" implies some meaningful say in the matter

Nah, acceptance is one of the five stages of grief and can be an entirely internal journey.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Update plz.
Looks like they banned Brown Moses but OP is still at large :shrug:

GrunkleStalin posted:

Our workplace team is in Europe and I was explaining Run, Hide, Fight. I was explaining Fight, want to do, how to arm yourself and stack up on a door, etc, and they just got up and left the meeting. When I followed up afterwards, they said it too much mentally/ emotionally and generally described it as one of the most hosed up things they had ever seen.

I dunno really know the point of this story, but the whole thing kinda hosed with me. They have never had to worry about this type of stuff, mean while a shooting doesn’t register for me unless the body count is in double digits.
Like how hosed am I? Or Americans in general when we accept these things as routine?

I do wonder how it comes off to the not terminally online. All the big shootings like Sandy Hook or the Vegas one make it to the news of course but I doubt normal people realize just how much :blastu: is going on. I could definitely see especially like the German colleagues getting really freaked out if in addition to "this is how you safely lift a stack of printer paper" training they also had learn about throwing staplers at the shooter and treating gunshot wounds.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GrunkleStalin posted:

At my old job with one of the Veterans Affairs HQ offices back in 2013, I was tasked with giving the active shooter training since I was the only actual veteran on the team and the only one with any sort of tactical training. As an aside when describing how to hide/shield yourselves best from the threat, I described how shooters could also fire into our windows from the high rise across the street if they are hell bent on being indiscriminate, and everyone's eyes went superwide. They started eyeballing the big ole window in our conference room, and one of our program managers straight up asked "That can happen!?".

A lot of the window blinds in the office were closed after that.

mobby_6kl posted:

I do wonder how it comes off to the not terminally online. All the big shootings like Sandy Hook or the Vegas one make it to the news of course but I doubt normal people realize just how much :blastu: is going on. I could definitely see especially like the German colleagues getting really freaked out if in addition to "this is how you safely lift a stack of printer paper" training they also had learn about throwing staplers at the shooter and treating gunshot wounds.

I know morning radio ratings have plummeted, but basically every morning program which reads the news that I tune into will invariably report all the shootings/stabbings in the area that happened overnight. (Of course, this is primarily in the NYC and DC metro areas.)

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
Was driving home and there were a lot of cops by Exit 80 on the Maine Turnpike; Lewiston has an active shooter alert. Another example of how this reaches all areas - violent crime is very low here. Police asking businesses to close and people to shelter in place. Still early so in the unreliable info stage, but the police released an image of the suspect and it unsurprisingly lines up with what's detailed in the OP.

Acolyte! fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 26, 2023

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
We have an outrageous number of mass shootings in America, to the point where only a subset of them gain significant media attention. That means that having a murderous lunatic running around gunning down random bystanders is common enough to no longer a newsworthy event in America.

This is an unacceptable state of affairs.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
while i agree, this one does seem to be newsworthy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zoeb posted:

We have an outrageous number of mass shootings in America, to the point where only a subset of them gain significant media attention. That means that having a murderous lunatic running around gunning down random bystanders is common enough to no longer a newsworthy event in America.

This is an unacceptable state of affairs.

it's usually not random civilians, it's generally some guy mowing down his ex-wife or girlfriend, her new boyfriend, their children, and/or miscellaneous family members

which is, generally speaking, bad

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

First, some news that will shock no one, this is a by and large solo, young, white, male, problem. 63 of the 180 attackers were 25-34, 44 were 14-24. 105 of the 180 attackers were white. 172 of the 180 were male with 3 more identifying as male at the time of the attacks. Of the 173 attacks, only 5 were perpetrated by more than 1 attacker.

This is kind of a curious way to describe it. 105/180 is around 60% so it's technically the majority of attacks but white people are ~75% of the US population (non-Hispanic whites are lower but skimming the document the 105 number looks like it refers to all white people). Somehow I doubt that race is a particularly relevant metric. I'd be a lot more interested in socio-economic status.

EDIT: To be a bit more direct I'm pointing this out less as "minorities bad/white people good" and more that it exacerbates an issue you see in the media where minorities being killed are ignored unless it can be tied to something juicy. If you're talking about something like this the focus shouldn't really be on "how do we fix this for white people".

NovemberMike fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 26, 2023

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Google Jeb Bush posted:

it's usually not random civilians, it's generally some guy mowing down his ex-wife or girlfriend, her new boyfriend, their children, and/or miscellaneous family members

which is, generally speaking, bad

Right.

Anyway, regarding the problem, something just occurred to me. So for instance I've known addicts but one thing that addiction recovery folks say is "if nothing changes, nothing changes" and I feel that that is also true here. Nothing ever seems to change. Nothing seems to get implemented when this happens. And therefore we keep coming back to this same conversation.

Leaving aside guns, having universal healthcare that includes mental health therapy would help, as would information literacy to stop these men from going down extremist rabbit holes. If we could do something about these men that have histories of violence towards women and hate fueled ideologies, that would reduce a lot of these shootings. I also have to leave aside guns because the sheer number of them in this country, more than there are people, and the ways guns are part of people's identities means that even if the Phantom Thieves from Persona 5 brainwashed the entire GOP and the Supreme Court into passing gun laws, it is also a logistical nightmare to get rid of them. Many local Sheriffs won't even comply with enforcing red flag laws, let alone broader bans. Some gun people are committed to getting into a shootout before allowing their gun to be confiscated. "From my cold dead hands" isn't hyperbole. And a lot of those guys are also the police.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Acolyte! posted:

Was driving home and there were a lot of cops by Exit 80 on the Maine Turnpike; Lewiston has an active shooter alert. Another example of how this reaches all areas - violent crime is very low here. Police asking businesses to close and people to shelter in place. Still early so in the unreliable info stage, but the police released an image of the suspect and it unsurprisingly lines up with what's detailed in the OP.

We were driving back towards the coast from Target and 8 cops and an ambulance drove towards Lewiston

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
NBC saying at least 22 dead in Lewistown. Ugh. Another white male with an AR-15 gee I wonder why this keeps happening...

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

NBC saying at least 22 dead in Lewistown. Ugh. Another white male with an AR-15 gee I wonder why this keeps happening...

:laffo: a track record like that just this year and still able to be armed with a military rifle

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Taps sign:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

:laffo: a track record like that just this year and still able to be armed with a military rifle

I bet he still got the gun legally.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

I bet he still got the gun legally.

It depends on what they mean by him being committed.

https://www.ncsl.org/civil-and-criminal-justice/possession-of-firearms-by-people-with-mental-illness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

quote:

15 M.R.S. § 393

A person may not own, possess, or have under that person’s control a firearm, unless that person has obtained a permit under this section, if that person:

Has been found not criminally responsible by reason of insanity of committing certain enumerated crimes.
I don't think he was previously arrested for any crimes (or at least I haven't seen it mentioned that he had a criminal record anywhere), so I don't think that would have applied to him. This article says the gun was acquired legally.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 26, 2023