Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

The US is changing to 6.8mm for infantry, scouts, combat engineers, and special forces, too. I have a bunch of thoughts on that new platform in the context of what we're learning in the War in Ukraine. I just need to find time to write it (and, honestly, I'm unsure if regulars itt would even be interested.)

I'd also be interested :sun:

Kraftwerk posted:

Interestingly enough the Ukrainians aren’t getting old hand-me-down rifles from the US either. The M4s I’ve spotted in go-pro footage or in unboxing videos are all brand new. In some cases the UAF troops that aren’t using AK pattern rifles are carrying newer service rifles than what US army infantry get out of OSUT. Kinda crazy to think about.

That's entirely understandable imo, the Ukrainians are actually fighting a war, give them the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Apparently the true source was even more embarrassing than 4chan and included many documents

So where on SA did it get posted? :allears:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Djarum posted:

They have been very sparingly used in combat and I don’t think available for export. I am really interested in knowing how they are launching them as well since I don’t think you could bolt them on to a MiG-29 easily. My guess would be they got a couple US drones as that would be the easiest launch platform for them both in use and to keep secret, but that is just a guess.

Where there's will, there's a way :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm pretty impressed at the misdirection from the military if this turns out to be the case and Ukraine secretly has some very high end poo poo now.

poo poo will blow up, stuff will happen, and we won't know the full story until way after the fact. That's just how this is going to go.

MQ-1's being hauled across the border without any fanfare fits well with "where's there will, there's a way" :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

Coincidentally, WaPo just released an article about US Intelligence concerning Ukrainian plot to destroy Nordstream 1. Although the plot information did not align completely with the sabotage, it did bear many resemblances.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/06/nord-stream-pipeline-explosion-ukraine-russia/

I’m not being hit with a paywall and I’m bad at using the SA mobile to create the quote sections like some of you all do when quoting articles so I’m just posting the link for now. If others get hit with a paywall blocker, I’ll come back and add more summaries when I check the thread later.

Very interesting timing on that release :haw: Almost like something needed a distraction, eh?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Talking to Canadian Navy sailors around the mid oughties, they seemed to have a pretty good time of it... not sure how bad things are now though.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MikeC posted:

Maybe I am under the belief of a stereotype but are soldiers working 8 or 9 hour days (knew a couple of ex CF guys)? I was under the impression you work "'till the job is done" and that means on a per hour basis your pay is actually dog poo poo.

During my enlistment in the :norway: Navy I worked on average about 3200 hr/year. A normal "working year" here is 1750 hours (230 days x 7.5 hours).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I drunkenly ordered an entire new fileserver/NAS build from a hotel room in Spain.

So eh :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Back in 2005 a friend of mine adjacent to government said to me "Look at all the waste, the fiefdoms, and the corruption in the Pentagon. In Russia and China it is 3x worse."

And now in 2022-2023 I'm seeing that statement play out in real time in regards to Russia.

More like 10x worse, at least for Russia :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Libluini posted:

Sadly, maintenance is a bitch. Last time I checked, there was a constant stream of PzH going back and forth between Germany and Ukraine: Damaged or worn-out howitzers going back for repair and repaired howitzers going back to the frontline. Considering Ukraine doesn't have that many of them in the first place, that's a fairly huge amount of usage from that one weapon system.

I hope they're collaborating about improvements to the design to make it more maintainable over time.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You do not gently caress with Norwegian fishermen :black101:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

They can, the problem seems to be if they're willing to. Watching that song and dance unfold in the media has been cringeworthy to say the least.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gotta let our patriot crews in on the fun, they get bored you know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Give it some time, they'll probably end up doing that by accident soon...