Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Brazil is working with other South American countries on a potential new currency of their own, something they confirmed earlier this year, so it makes extra no sense that they would join this random assemblage of countries in some stupid monetary project.

E: the source is pretty funny, it amounts to one guy going "wouldn't it be cool if there was like a digital currency or something?"

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Athas posted:

Is there a place on these forums where the Americans don't go and the leaks can be discussed in detail?

:ssh:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954051

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nobody on Ukraine's side is going to be making meaningful accurate statements on the scope, timing, goals etc. of any coming offensive, regardless of their access to information. It's just bluster.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If the Russians had bombed themselves, they would have killed a bunch of people on purpose.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The thing is also that a missile may be 20× more expensive than a drone, but the thing the drone is trying to hit may be 1000× more expensive.

Same thing with javelins, sure they may cost as much as the tanks they are destroying, but if they ensure the defenders can keep their positions and avoid casualties, it's more than worth it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ynglaur posted:

:actually: Michael Koffman makes this very point in a recent Warcast episode (a subscription podcast from https://warontherocks.com/). He is careful to not position himself as a Kremlinologist, but says that if Prigozhin had any real influence or power, he would just pick up the phone and call Shoigu or someone in the Ministry of Defense. The fact that he's reduced to raving on TikTok videos shows just how low he is in the scheme of things. People in the regime with real power indeed just pick up the phone.

Not sure I buy it. The fact he's objectively had access to massive quantities of other for this past year, as well as sanctioned recruitment channels of his own, makes me think this is just PR theatre for public consumption. Theatre which may backfire and antagonize people who are higher on the pecking order, but which doesn't accurately reflect his poor standing at this moment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

alex314 posted:

I'm really happy more people made the "potato beetle" comparison to that yellowish black ribbon Kremlin uses.
It also allows me to post this utterly bonkers 1950' Polish propaganda piece:

Yes, it's US bomber dropping potato eating capitalist bugs over Polish and East German fields.

It was a whole genre

"How do you do, native friend, which way to the countryside? We are here to promote Atlantic culture"

"Truman's HQ"

"American high command gives you, potato beetles, the mission to sabotage agriculture in the name of the Freedom Initiative"

And so on and so forth

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If there's going to be a switch to a new NATO standard, i think it's gonna take decade(s?) and be far too slow to have material significance for this war.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djarum posted:

So wait… they spent like 9 months and god knows how much blood and treasure to just retreat?

Well they only fought for Bakhmut to drain Ukraine's manpower through attrition, so says Prigozhin

So because they don't need the city, they can retreat and conquer it again to inflict even more attrition on Ukraine. Rince and repeat

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djarum posted:

Yeah but as others have said if that was the stated goal they did poorly. In the current Russian military state the last thing they should be wanting to do is attrition at all

:thejoke:

Realistically though the best the Russians can hope for is to stay put in the rubble of their conquest, conserve strength and hope that Ukraine is as stupid as them and will waste resources on direct counter attacks at Bakhmut. That can't be very good for morale of the troops there, to have achieved such a costly goal for no immediate benefit and no improvement of their situation in the future.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

Tracks are just wheels that you put over multiple wheels.

Tracks are just very small roads custom made for you wheels

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

He's 'fine'.

Thank God he's there to provide guidance for A Guy in A Forest

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shifty Pony posted:

Don't forget that Russia has buddied up with Iran and is buying weapons from them, which in the past has been an extremely effective way to get on SA's poo poo list.

Not sure if that still holds as true these days since there was that recent announcement that Iran and SA are restoring diplomatic ties.

Just because the Saudis and the Ayatollahs haven't been calling each other the scum of the earth for a hot minute doesn't mean they've forgotten their respective geopolitical interests.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think, in light of the recent unpleasantness, that Russia isn't just a boogeyman.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are they the same guys who went on a field trip to a Russian town some months ago?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m perfectly fine with paying taxes and participating in society? Just don’t wanna get sent to die. Hth.

Indeed, other should did instead (followed by me when the "liberators" reach my town)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think if your organization gets a quota to provide a certain number of bodies, you underestimate the brutality with which Russian authorities will treat you if you refuse to contribute. Good luck getting a job or any benefits for your family with "sabotaged national defense" in your permanent record

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

saratoga posted:

Dumb question but its been known for over 100 years now that torpedoes work best underwater where they're harder to shoot at and the damage will be more catastrophic. Why do these travel and then explode on surface?

Because they are radio controlled and it's effectively impossible to make a radio controlled submerged torpedo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djarum posted:

I thought that the best place to hit was right at the waterline as it allows air to escape faster so water rushes in more quickly.

The best way to "hit" is to detonate just underneath the centerline so the cavity of the explosion creates a localized difference in flotation, leading to twisting forced that can literally break the ship in half.

E:fb

saratoga posted:

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought these are actual US-made devices, not improvised like aerial drones? Surely a US defense contractor could figure out how to stick up an antenna out of the water. Or even better, stick up an antenna until you get close (or submerge only during the attack), retract it, and then home in via sonar without guidance.
I think they are improvised? At least I'm pretty sure the naval drones that tried to infiltrate Sevastopol were, and these I assume are the same?

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 25, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And you can accept that words have different connotations in different languages and English speakers shouldn't jump at every opportunity to enforce their instinctive semantic conclusions as universal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If they blew it up on purpose without calculating the impact, that would be an act of historical incompetence, a whole new level of gently caress up.

If they just neglected it until it failed on its own, it would be merely an act of baseline incompetence expected of the Russian.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The best thing to do re. the offensive is not to twist your brain trying to build a narrative from tiny fragments of information from uncertain sources. That just leads to doomscrolling.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

beer_war posted:

I'm in Germany and I can confirm I froze to death in the dark last February. RIP me.

All our accounts have been taken over by CIA sock-puppets to cover up the fact that we are dead because Europe is now a corpse-strewn wasteland ruled by pestilence and perpetual winter

E: oops, i wasnt supposed to say that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WaltherFeng posted:

How is Wagner supposed to operate without the army's logistics network? They still need ammo, fuel and food. Or are they literally looting army bases.

Yes, they beelined for military objects in Rostov and Voronezh. As for non military stuff such as fuel and basic provisions, there's little an army of sociopaths can't get in a city of over 1 million.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's not what the realist school is or why is called that though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

educate me on it, i'll be paying very close attention

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/realism-intl-relations/

Realism just means the reality in which actors make decisions exists independently on their will / intentions / cognition / ethics etc, as opposed to idealism.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tbh, he was in Ukraine, at the front, out of reach for the Russian state apparatus. I think he could have easily smuggled himself out of the region and hosed off to some obscure place in Africa with stationed Wagner "peace keepers" before surfacing at idk the Cayman Islands once the waters calmed down . But obviously that would have been too much of a humiliation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

khwarezm posted:

I'm curious about this too for two reasons:

1. I've heard people say that there are still tons of Russian troops on the frontline and if the rebellion is crushed in a few days it may not be enough time for the Ukrainians to take advantage of things while its ongoing, but surely it must be wrecking complete chaos in the Russian military in terms of things like logistics, intel, morale and command that the Ukrainians could exploit for weeks?

2. I haven't heard much about the actual progress about the counter offensive and I have been generally pessimistic about its success, but is there a possibility that Prigozhin is doing this now because the counter-offensive has mauled the Russian army and he's either reacting to people looking for scapegoats of which he is the most obvious one to blame, or hoping to take advantage of a distracted and weakened regular Russian military?

In one of his recent missives, Prigozhin claimed Russian casualties were extremely high and the government was concealing the scope of the carnage that was going on, hiding corpses of dead soldiers etc. Though that may have been just a lie to lend himself legitimacy, or describing the normal situation and not indicative of a breakthrough.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Little bro really thinks he's cooking.

E: Wrong thread, unless it's actually the right thread.

It's the right thread

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hryme posted:

Isn't it a reasonable move to relocate top leadership from an area that can develop into an active combat zone? I don't get this he fleeing so he is a coward stuff. Shows that the situation is very uncomfortable though.

Maybe it's reasonable according to some criteria, but even worse from the symbolic blow it represents, it never should have come to it. The fact that leaving the capital and preparing for a siege can even begin to appear reasonable is a failure of an unimaginable magnitude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djarum posted:

Evidently Channel 1 is just playing commercials.

https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1672497184024203265

It's a sad statement on the state of the arts in capitalist society that traditional Swan Lake showings have been replaced with endless commercial blocks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dog Friday posted:

Accepting any "deal" at this stage from Putin would surely be suicide for Prigozhin?

Hard to imagine otherwise.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Randarkman posted:

Eh, I think they had already been mostly pulled from the frontlines.

Yeah, but they wanted to reintegrate their manpower into the army. Since i doubt there's a call for 25k Russian mercenaries in Africa, i feel like Prigozhin is going to surrender all his wartime recruits anyway and only keep the core or veteran fighters.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well see a month from now when the loyalists of the current military leadership try to force the removal of the new picks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

"I think it's pretty clear what happened here"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh, what could the oligarchs have done if he had actually marched into Moscow and more and more of the miltiary kept flipping his way, seeing a winner?

Presumably the flipping part wasn't going to happen and he knew it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The fact that there seemed to be roughly 3 helicopter pilots between the border with Ukraine and Moscow who were willing to try and stop the rebel army does not exactly scream "Putin enjoys the support of his armed forces".

I bet those pilots were told to just check on the situation and that there would be no danger involved, lol (?)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chalks posted:

Here's a former KGB agent calling the government "weak" on state TV

https://twitter.com/VladaKnowlton/status/1673337534435274752

That sounds a lot like manufacturing consent as a basis for backtracking on the supposed deal. After all, the tsar can't go against the will of the people.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ok I was going to make a jokey guess at this but everyone responding to that tweet seems to know more about tanks than me and they're all going "What the hell is that?" so I'm just going to re-iterate:

What the hell is that? :kstare:

It looks like a decoy of a western style tank (probably meant to be a leopard with it's frontal applique armor). The markings on the hill are Russian, but it makes little sense why Russians would make mock ups of Ukrainian gear - so it'd say it's either a captured Russian tank turned by Ukraine into a decoy, or maybe Russians are doing this to fool Ukrainians into thinking they are looking at a friendly tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not entirely sure about how competent they might have been overall, but they were the ones who wanted to change things and it's hard to imagine changing the Russian army for worse. Iirc "general Armageddon" who is allegedly in deep poo poo now was originally dismissed in Ukraine because he wanted to do crazy things like retreat to defensible positions and consolidate.