Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

We at day 3 yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Canada Usa Mexico dollar is right around the corner!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Djarum posted:

Likely the entire chain of command is going to be turbo hosed there. The fact the guy was able to take highly sensitive information repeatedly for a long period of time is a massive failure in security and oversight. A bunch of people are going to be forced to fall on their swords there.

What is just as concerning is this idiot had the access and ability to let poo poo walk out for the lulz on Discord. Makes to wonder how many others are doing the same thing elsewhere and giving that to others?

Yeah, that's where my mind is at. How many idiots got gifted steam bux or whatever for intel. The future is so stupid.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Morrow posted:

There's also a huge meritocratic element to, y'know, fighting an actual war as opposed to a bureaucratic ladder system. Ukraine has been doing so since 2014, after a revolution, so a lot of chaff has been filtered out and a lot of gold nuggets found.

So we need a revolution and a couple military invasions before people with skin in the game can lead us?

gently caress

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E: not gonna touch the poo

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Because he's dying

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Also, Russia says they killed one, so they 100% did loving not.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

cant cook creole bream posted:

While I don't disagree, this is a weak argument. You could just as well argue that the dam only broke because Ukraine didn't immediately surrender.

And if that darn fish never came out of the ocean, there would be no war!

This is 100% on Russia.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Humans are loving idiots.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pretend this offensive is a video with "with for it" written across the screen.

I have great memories of trying to excitedly pronounce the names of Ukrainian towns being liberated to my partner. I'm confident that will happen again, but don't get gloomy because it isn't happening right now. War is hell and takes time.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Russia gonna nuke Russia.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Knightsoul posted:

Your observation should hint you that in this thread 95% of the posts are just ukrainian propaganda. So if you really want to know the real situation of the war, stay far away from here (like I usually do)

Do you think Ukraine is a country and culture, or just some confused Russians? I hear Putin's army is taking volunteers. You could get all kinds of firsthand knowledge posting up in a trench!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Someone could start an IR thread...

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I mean, they did it with the dam. And IIRC there were plenty of reports of the drat being mined and nothing happened until it did.

Your guess in the validity of the claim is as good as mine, but it's not like Russian hasn't already causes a massive humanitarian and ecological nightmare seemingly just for the sake of loving Ukraine up.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Because it would not help win the war faster.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's also their land they're proposing using cluster munitions on. UXO are hosed up and horrible but it's not like Ukraine is leaving it for anyone else to deal with.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Staluigi posted:

Ukranian breakthrough? I'll believe it when i wake up and the thread has 200 replies

Can I offer you some dubious analysis based on a bug-gently caress twitter account?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

daslog posted:

Well, I'm a lifelong Democrat so you can throw that out the window, but I think you missing the point which is that whenever the US tries to intervene on anything international, it turns to poo poo. We spent about 20 years in Afghanistan (and trillions of dollars) and now it's right back to the way it was (if not worse, I'm sure there is a thread somewhere). Iraq is probably a better example: We invaded the wrong country under false pretenses, killed hundreds of thousands of people, and ended up strengthening Iran. Vietnam was a similar story. Everything we touch, we make worse.

We just had our credit rating lowered because our system is so dysfunctional and we are slowly going down the drain. We can't even pass a budget, and you expect the public to believe we can manage a proxy war without bunging it? Our track record speaks for itself. The USA is great at blowing stuff up and killing people. We are bad at everything else.

I have Zero faith in our ability to do pull this off, most of the public agrees.

And this is exactly like Afghanistan in almost every way. Iraq too! As a life long democrat™...

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

daslog posted:

OK, I'll try this a different way. In my adult life I've seen over 4 trillion spent on recent conflicts that were supposed to cost next to nothing, I have no doubt that the other posters sincerely believe that this time it's actually going to work out to be virtually free, but I'm extremely skeptical. I want safeguards in place in the form of increased taxes to make sure we actually pay for it instead of floating another 2 trillion in debt. Judging from the CNN poll, I don't think I'm alone in doubting our leaders on this issue. Credibility matters, and Washington has very little of it.

Is there a difference between trickling old gear plus tiny portions of a massive budget into helping prevent a genocide and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq? You keep being asked this and you keep making deeply ill informed statements about debt. I'm struggling here because you have to be trolling, but if you're interested in actually learning anything from this, please give some thought to the difference between giving aid in this situation and full scale invasion and occupation of nations across the world.

E: its also worth noting that lobbyists don't give a flying gently caress about the options of Joe American. Even if it wasn't good to try and help prevent Russia from committing to a a massive genocide, the MIC would have a something to say, despite some cnn poll.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 9, 2023

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

daslog posted:

The Ukrainians wouldy last long if the US cut them off from supplies.

Yeah, insurgencies are super easy to deal with and always over quickly. Plus, Ukraine is a small country with not a lot of people in it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Genocide denying or trolling. Either way, boot em.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Makes more sense, but what's the objective then?

Hearts and minds.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

Celebrating Ukrainian soldiers dying in the meat grinder to take inconsequential pieces of territory is not supporting Ukraine at all.

Where you from? What parts of that territory (and the people within) are inconsequential? What do you think Russia is doing and plans to do in the territory they hold? Also, gently caress off.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

daslog posted:

It also illustrates the point that Europe (just like the USA) will support Ukraine as long as it's convenient for them to do so. Actual sacrifice? Not going to happen.

Yeah, Ukraine should probably just surrender.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The thing about Elon is that I miss Cinci.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So are Canada and Iran at war rn?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Maybe make a WWII thread?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"rebels"

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I would simply drive around the mines.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, they just politely arrest them and shoot them behind a shed shortly thereafter.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I fed 10,000,000 hours of war podcasts into chat gpt and asked it if a ceasefire was immanent

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Charliegrs posted:

Next year is not going to be any better all for Ukraine if Trump wins the election.

Brilliant insight.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Still beats WebEx

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

A no fly zone also involves destroying Russian assets on the ground. Shooting down missles that threaten your own airspace is not "creeping towards a no fly zone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

They were hungover and wanted to get out of work. Cuba or the soviet union didn't have a magic brain altering ray gun.