Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Russia can't even get Belarus to switch to a common currency. And that project was in the works for almost 25 years now.

In other news, there's an ongoing controversy surrounding one of the most recognised Orthodox monasteries/museums in Eastern Europe.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65117269

The Kyiv Monastery of the Caves is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and as such can't belong to any religious organisation. Ukrainian state for the past 30 years was renting the museum to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. They've split from the Moscow patriarchate after the invasion and voiced support to Ukrainian army, but due to obvious reasons and scandals with pro-Russian clergy and religious, for the past year there was a lot of talk about either banning the UOC outright or requiring it by law that they mention that they are governed from Moscow in all official church documents. In the end, it was decided not to renew the lease with the UOC, and all monks and priests are supposed to vacate the premises. They've declined and filed an appeal, but the court decided that they still should leave while the appeal is being considered.

The latest development is that the vicegerent of the monastery, Metropolit Pavel, has been arrested on the suspicion of religious hate speech and denial or support of Russia's aggression.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65148386

Throughout the year, there were some cases of UOC parishes and clergy switching to OCU, sometimes under suspicious circumstances, but despite UOC's waning popularity and controversial status, a considerable crowd of people gathered at the monastery to support monks and priests. There hasn't been any violence, thankfully, but the rhetoric on both sides is getting more and more pointed, especially now with Pavel's arrest.

When Zelenskyy was just elected, he made a choice not to interfere with religious matters in contrast with Poroshenko who successfully lobbied for the creation of OCU in the first place. It seemed like the conflict was pretty much over. The leaders of both OCU and UOC would meet at official events, they met with Zelenskyy, recorded addresses together with other religious leaders and so on. There obviously was a lot of bad blood between the two churches, but they were at least willing to coexist. Now Zelenskyy says recent government actions against UOC are part of 'protecting nation's spiritual independence', which I think is a much riskier and ethically dubious strategy. Especially considering that the UOC higher-ups already understood full well what position they were in and were happy to call on their faithful to join the army, expel priests who still tried to preach about the ideology of the 'Russian world', etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The collateral casualty count is going up so far, from 6 in Fatherboxx's tweet to 15 as per BBC's latest. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65155075

I wonder who would have reasons to do just completely :staredog: assassination of Tatarskiy like that? Big Z-blogger, sure, but he was hardly a superstar.

Just like with Dugina, I suspect it's more about who they realistically could get. People like Solovyov or Simonyan are probably under constant surveillance and have security personnel attached to them when they attend events.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

a podcast for cats posted:

There's a taped confession of the woman who brought the explosive on video already. It raises more questions than it answers though:

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1642829000723636224

I wouldn't call it a confession. The way she phrases it implies she didn't know the bust was going to explode. She says she was arrested for 'being at the place where Tatarskiy was assassinated'.

E: Apparently her husband claims she was told the bust was supposed to be just bugged
https://t.me/svtvnews/26411

quote:

According to Dmitriy Rylov's version, the young woman was tricked into bringing a bust with explosived to Tatarskiy's event. She allegedly did not know that there was a bomb inside and admitted that the "gift" would simply enable her to "gain access" to the war correspondent.

Already after the attack, Daria contacted her husband and asked him to help her find a safe place to hide. He, at the time not yet aware of what had happened, made arrangements with his comrade Dmitriy Kasintsev. He agreed to provide Daria with accommodation: "The plan was to wait until morning and then proceed from there, but the police were quicker. Apparently, Kasintsev was detained along with Daria simply because he was 'in the wrong place at the wrong time'". Rylov asked for this to be made public, insisting that his companion did not suspect anything.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 3, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Willo567 posted:

I get that it's just talk, but would his time frame actually be realistic or not?

The point is to feed Russia spooky disinfo (might be working, considering construction of new defence lines in Crimea, pulling away resources from other places), but also, and maybe more importantly, to keep people's hopes up. Admitting that the war may or may not go on for years would absolutely destroy public morale.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Incidentally, FT's published an interview with the deputy head of Zelenskyy’s office, where he suggests that retaking Crimea through military means is not the only option on the table.
https://www.ft.com/content/d68b4007-4ddf-4320-b29a-f2eee2662d6e

quote:

“If we will succeed in achieving our strategic goals on the battlefield and when we will be on the administrative border with Crimea, we are ready to open [a] diplomatic page to discuss this issue,” Sybiha said, referring to Kyiv’s long-planned counteroffensive.

He added: “It doesn’t mean that we exclude the way of liberation [of Crimea] by our army.”

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

Ukraine War Plans Leak Prompts Pentagon Investigation
Classified documents detailing secret American and NATO plans have appeared on Twitter and Telegram.

In brief, it looks like the documents were modified to overstate Ukrainian casualties and understate Russian ones, as some sort of disinformation in favor of Russia. They're not specific plans and are a few weeks old, but the release is still likely to do significant damage.

Pretty sure it was the other way around. The one with good numbers for Russia looks obviously shopped. Like, really obvious, and some Russian tg channels point it out, too. Not sure if it would be kosher to post them here to get thread's opinion. It's hard for me to imagine that the thing is real to begin with, though. The investigation, I imagine, is supposed to take place even if a leak is merely alleged.

E: \/\/\/ Well, there you go.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 7, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

No way. Wow_mao is a meme shitpost youtube channel. I wouldn't trust a random guy on twitter who says 'yeah, I posted that on discord'. His twitter @ is not even the same.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
As for the thread title, '@everyone here are some fun maps'

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
His account appears to be dead now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nenonen posted:

Would you say... servant of people Putin

I think of him more as an influencer or hype man these days. Or court jester. Kind of like Zhirinovsky was back in the good days. Actually I had to remind myself that Zhiri has been dead for a whole year and two days!

Rejoice! Everyone will soon be able to bask in his wisdom yet again thanks to the miracle of AI.

https://cybernews.com/news/russia-zhirinovsky-ai-chatbot/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've heard it suggested that Pentagon documents can only be printed on special printers, and the documents from the leak looked like they were printed on a regular printer. This would mean someone's hacked Pentagon's proprietary file format and just printed them at home, as opposed to someone taking photos at work or bringing them home from briefings. Not sure if the proprietary format part is something that is widely known or something that the one expert I listened on the BBC Russia podcast imagines Pentagon's document flow to be like, though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There's a huge concerted propaganda effort to portray T-54/55 tanks as Leopard killers because the old type of barrel they have is better for penetrating armour from a long distance or something. Hundreds of accounts constantly posting about these legendary threaded barrels under every article and tg post about it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Akratic Method posted:

China now claiming they they won't supply Russia (or Ukraine to make it sound fair and neutral, but I don't think there was ever much chance of that anyway).

https://apnews.com/article/china-taiwan-weapons-germany-ukraine-2a51d2c64c12fca75683d20fbafba475

Wonder if they calculated that Russia's chances are fine without them, that Russia's chances are hopeless even with them, or that they just don't feel like escalating with the US right now? (Or maybe Macron actually achieved something with his diplomacy?)

They've been saying this from the start. They're saying it now more often because there were allegations about them supplying stuff to Russia.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In his latest proclamation, Prigozhin suggested that Putin should basically say that all the goals of his special military operation have been achieved, stop all offensives, and only defend whatever Russia's managed to occupy so far. On the other hand, he also says his mercenaries are still grinding down Ukrainian forces in Bakhmut with great success, so mixed messages there.

I don't think, however, that there is really anything factual to suggest that Ukraine is doing better than it looks apart from wishful thinking. Maybe new information will emerge later, but from what's in the news and in official reports, the Bakhmut stretch of the front is not looking great.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

Isn't he making a joke about how Putin thinks Ukraine is an artificial state?

He's mirroring that rhetoric, but it's not a joke. It's propaganda and pandering.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Akratic Method posted:

What the hell is this map? Looks like he's reassigning Manchuria to the far eastern Russian successor? Or is K the Ukrainian-language initial for China and he thinks they'll grab the Russian far east in this putative collapse? And Japan is supposed to conquer Sakhalin, I guess just because they had some colonies there in the old fascist days?

It kinda feels like still it's just him saying stuff, and also drawing stuff that's just as arbitrary.

К means China. ЦАР is Central African Republic. The map is not entirely serious.

E: Asian makes more sense, I guess, lol.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 17, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Seeing some conflicting reports about the start of Ukraine's counteroffensive. A lot of videos and maps floating around implying it's already started, but nothing solid, as far as I can tell.

The official comment from MOD is also not very straightforward.
https://interfax.com.ua/news/general/904945.html

quote:

[T]his is a huge complex of different activities that the Armed Forces of Ukraine are currently carrying out. First and foremost, it is about preparing people for a set of actions: both defensive and offensive. But all of this together, if we are talking about our strategic goal, can be called counter-offensive measures.

So maybe no actual counteroffensive yet, but ongoing active preparations that people mistake for the final phase.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can't arrows like that mean something generic on military vehicles? Like American tanks have these things

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

So, uh, who's in charge of this thread now? Is ... is it me?

fatherboxx is still thread IK.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Orthanc6 posted:

Russia, where the rock and the hard place is making up a story about your fighter jets bombing your own supermarket to hide that Ukraine can strike that far, or admitting that you actually did bomb your own supermarket.

Also I do believe this is not the first time Russian ordinance has gone, astray in Belgorod.

At least there are no casualties this time. Last year, at least two Russian military planes crashed into residential buildings (one in Irkutsk, and another in Yeysk).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A really insane music video by one of the most prominent Russian 'patriot' artists, SHAMAN, was released yesterday. It's called We.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXreSAXf1V8

quote:

In the sun blazing above us,
In the winds' proud flight

Our free land is with us
Forever

With hearts setting the day alight,
Our banner is rising

With us are Hope and Love
God is with us

'We' is what's eternal in our blood
And it's my generation
'We' is what's bound by the heaven alone

'We' will never be broken
Never live on our knees
'We' is the truth for the entire world, we are the 'we'

The heart was burning with words
The truth and the strength are with us

Proudly will withstand it all
Our nation

His breakaway hit was called I'm Russian, so it's not new, but his stage persona has now really evolved into, uhm, well, you can see for yourself. Hard to think that the date of the release wasn't chosen on purpose here. The sun in the meadow is summery warm and all that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
ГБС.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I've been following this and goddamn it's managed to enormous piss of former Soviet Union States along with the rest of Europe. I've heard some things saying that this was a test by Xi to see how serious they are with military defense but it just seems to have further emboldened Europe.

If you look up the interview where Lu Shaye blurted that out, it was clearly not premediated. The journalist was pushing him on Taiwan, the ambassador quickly became agitated, and the result was this haphazard whataboutism to dodge the question.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Major is not exactly a military rank on the level of making strategic decisions.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Putin has signed a law that pressures people living in occupied areas either to accept Russian citizenship or to leave.

http://static.kremlin.ru/media/events/files/ru/ATH3qrAdi1MvoCAuCEO12ijX1s7jpDxN.pdf

Among other things, it sanctions deportations of 'foreign citizens' who 'may pose threat to national security of the Russian Federation, including those who support violent overthrow of constitutional order, finance or plan to finance terrorist (extremist) acts, aid in committing or commit such acts, or support terrorist (extremist) activities in any other fashion, or encroaching on public order by participating in unlawful public gathering, protests, marches'. Basically, anyone who disagrees with Russian occupation can be deported unless they become Russian citizens, in which case they'll simply go to prison for the crimes outlined above. There are some stipulations, but people with Ukrainian passports have it until June to make the decision.

On the bright side, the law also makes it easier for 'foreign citizens' to seek employment by waiving requirements for obtaining permit for work in Russia. You can safely and legally work for your occupier while weighing if you want to be deported!

E: Also, it's very timely, considering today's PACE resolution on forcible transfer of Ukrainian children.
https://pace.coe.int/en/news/9075/the-forcible-transfer-and-russification-of-ukrainian-children-shows-evidence-of-genocide-says-pace

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 27, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

US estimates from the leaked documents are 40-50k KIA
BBC/Mediazona confirmed open source headcount is at 20k (absolute base level due to methodology)

Dont know what are the "leaked FSB documents", sounds sensationalistic.

Worth noting that Ukrainian and I suspect US estimates include LDNR combatants, while BBC only monitor soldiers from Russia proper, and they count Wagner mercenaries separately.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There was at least one Zambian student who died in Ukraine fighting for Wagner. But he was recruited in a Russian prison.

https://www.africanews.com/2022/11/29/unknown-aircraft-targets-wagner-base-in-c-african-republic/

For almost a year now, there's been a lot of propaganda talk about bringing in literally millions of eager volunteer freedom fighters from Syria, North Korea, Mali, etc., and literally nothing has happened since, as far as anyone can tell, to make this a reality. Western intelligence have no information about foreign recruits being shipped to Russia for training, or even any Wagner recruiting recruiting campaigns for war in Ukraine abroad (if anything, they're starting to recruit more Russians to send to Africa again).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WarpedLichen posted:

I've always thought that the Ukraine interception rate was overinflated for propaganda purposes but I guess if even OSINT radio monitors can get advance notice of missile strikes there's no reason the military can't do the same and prepare.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1652838944797519877?cxt=HHwWisCz-euQiPAtAAAA

Not sure how much 6 hours of advance prep can help but it seems pretty significant to me.

Based on reports about civilian casualties, and very little fanfare from Russia from recent attacks, it does seem like the numbers are at least very close to real. What is maybe used for propaganda by Ukraine is when a downed missile hits residential area, and it's not clear if it was going to hit it anyway or was targeting a supposed military facility. But then I'm not sure even Ukraine would be able to confirm it either way reliably, while Russia obviously claim they only attack military targets.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

spankmeister posted:

Did you miss the part where Russia hit a residential building, killing 20+ people including small children, and the Russian MoD posted the following image on their social media?

https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status/1651864900220723200

The translation is "Right on target".

It happened last Friday. Russia isn't even pretending to only target military targets anymore.

I don't think a telegram post, even on the official ministry channel, is an actual admission of guilt. The official line still is (and always has been) that Russia only hits military targets, and if some civilians die, it's only because Ukraine puts military targets so close to civilians, if not outright that Ukraine bombs itself.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chalks posted:

I wonder whether the high number of Russian attacks hitting civilian targets is a form of survivor bias too. Assuming that Ukraine has the bulk of it's air defense around military targets, it might be that the intercept rate is higher against missiles with legitimate targets. Maybe the ones that tend to get through, due to bad intel, incompetence or malice, are hitting places with no AA cover at all.

Russia has just hit another shopping centre, this time in Kherson, a clear example of an indiscriminate attack.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/three-civilians-killed-russian-attack-ukrainian-hypermarket-officials-2023-05-03/

At the very beginning of the war, Russians hit a shopping centre in Kyiv, and it later came out that the underground car park and/or storage facilities were used by the army in some capacity. Then there was an attack on a Krememenchuk shopping centre that was located close to a road machinery plant that kind of sort of maybe could have been used for military needs. Basically, the justification within the Russian MoD for those and later attacks on clearly civilian buildings is that if something can be used for military needs, it is a military target. The same exact justification was explicitly used when Russia tried to destroy Ukrainian energy infrastructure in addition to the angle of revenge for the Kerch bridge explosion. They choose to believe bad intel and/or their own faulty logic, and with that in mind, when choosing real or imagined military targets, they are likely to prioritise those with weaker air defence.

In the interest of balance, there are also reports of (maybe not as frequent) attacks by Ukraine that hit shopping centres, markets, and other civilian objects in Donetsk and Luhansk regions. The latest one I remember happened in April.

:nws::nms: for photos of dead bodies
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-seven-civilians-killed-ukraine-shelling-attacks-agencies-2023-04-06/

My understanding is Ukraine, like Russia, would need to use high-value long-distance ammunition for strikes like that, which doesn't make sense for non-military targets even if there was malicious intent behind them, so bad intel probably also contributes to it on both sides.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KingColliwog posted:

The fact that it's pretty much hitting the flag is quite ridiculous. Feels like a cartoonish taunt.

I have trouble believing that Ukrainian drone could actually hit the kremlin of all places and it also does absolutely nothing for Ukraine so it feels like a false flag to me.

It doesn't have to be a Ukrainian drone. There is very little for Russia to gain from a false flag attack. Remember, they prefer to explain away successful Ukrainian attacks with negligent smokers where it's even remotely plausible. The official narrative is that the war is needed so that the rest of Russia can stay safe and peaceful, and any attack deep into Russian territory goes against that narrative and shows that the war only makes everyone less safe.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

This was not an offshelf commercial drone refit into combat one, antiwar russians dont have such resources

Has the drone model already been identified?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

That's interesting. Back in February this year an UJ-22 was already near Moscow, and then another one was found in a forest a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/28/russia-military-drone-attempted-strike-gas-facility-moscow-uav-ukraine
https://en.defence-ua.com/events/on...pital-6500.html

Highly improbable that Russia would orchestrate a false flag that elaborate, and the version that Ukraine is trying to pressure Russia to allocate more air defence to protect Moscow at the expense of occupied territories ahead of the counteroffensive is much likelier.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It was pointed out to me, that If you look closer, there are two figures scaling the dome from the left when the drone explodes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Not always lately.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Willo567 posted:

Could you elaborate a bit?

They are a small org that previously used to have a very narrow focus on the prison system. Now that they've expanded to also covering the war, they simply aren't capable of vetting their sources as effectively. They are not quite on the Nexta/Unian level yet, but once in a while they now publish something very sensationalist from 'anonymous sources'.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EasilyConfused posted:

Wouldn't it be more likely that this was an unsuccessful attempt to take out a high value target (presumably Putin) than a successful attack on a flag?

In any case:

If they managed to get two drones that close, surely they would have known that Putin isn't usually anywhere near that building at that hour. Whatever the intention was, it wasn't to kill Putin.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paladinus posted:

They are a small org that previously used to have a very narrow focus on the prison system. Now that they've expanded to also covering the war, they simply aren't capable of vetting their sources as effectively. They are not quite on the Nexta/Unian level yet, but once in a while they now publish something very sensationalist from 'anonymous sources'.

Case in point. It was all literally just trolling by Russian white nationalists on twitch.
https://t.me/ilyashepelin/5061

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Disco Pope posted:

What's this Sims thing? I see it come up, but I totally missed it.

Last year, there was an alleged assassination attempt on Vladimir Solovyov, one of the loudest propaganda voices in Russia, who happens to be Jewish. The suspects were quickly detained, and a lot of nazi merchandise was found at their flat. For some reason, however, three CDs of Sims 3 were shown along with Nazi Germany flags and extremist literature. Some theorised that whoever orchestrated the photoshoot misunderstood the request and instead of getting some mobile SIM cards, brought three copies of Sims 3. Most likely not what happened, but it's extremely funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

"False flag" is not an idiom in Russian or Ukrainian

It is already. Kind of. There's even a new TV show on NTV called 'Фальшивый флаг' (False Flag).

quote:

The Turkish defence minister was kidnapped from a hotel on Cyprus during an unofficial visit. The Turkish security services publish photos of the suspects' passports, all of them Russians with dual citizenship. The men are said to be covert agents of the Russian secret services who have been plotting this special operation for several years.

Colonel Turbin of the FSB is put in charge of the investigation of the incident. He gives an order to find and detain potential kidnappers. He manages to capture all but one of them. Turbin finds out that the detainees have a second citizenship and all of them were abroad when they were kidnapped, which means that they could have travelled to Cyprus on a second passport. What secrets about the lives of each of the suspects the investigation manages to uncover, why did the criminals need a high-ranking Turkish official and where did the fifth figure in the case go?...